It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'My son is NOT very optimal... he is very dead': Mother of U.S. diplomat killed in Libya attack sl

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Obama wanted this issue to come up and the whole piece was completely scripted. The only thing that went wrong is that Stewart went off-script and threw out the word "optimal".

Stewart was using "optimal" referring to the WH response to Americans regarding the situation. Obama then stepped in it deep by applying the word "optimal" to the deaths themselves happening... not the response to Americans. He could have even corrected himself by saying it was more like, hmmm, maybe "unacceptable", but he didn't.

Did he mean any harm by it? Probably not. Obama merely pulled a Biden on this one.

He just doesn't think very quickly on his feet and should probably stick to teleprompters.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Maybe it would be better to look at this from a different perspective. How would you have answered Stewart's question? Would you have answered the same way? I realize that no one knows how they would really answer if put on the spot while on national tv but let's try it anyways. I can even start.

I would like to think if I was in this situation I might answer the question like this......No it isn't optimal for the country but more importantly it's a tragedy and it is always heartbreaking when American lives are lost due to violence.

Going that extra mile to put a little heart into it might make a world of difference between heartfelt and compassionate and callous and impersonal.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by shadwgirl
M

I would like to think if I was in this situation I might answer the question like this......No it isn't optimal for the country but more importantly it's a tragedy and it is always heartbreaking when American lives are lost due to violence.

"Violence" - didn't you mean to say Islamic Jihad violence commited in the name of Al Qaeda terrorism???........

Mere "violence" is what we encounter everyday on the streets of Philadelphia (or any other American city) BUT "Islamic Jihad violence commited in the name of Al Qaeda terrorism" is quite another matter indeed.............!!!
edit on 19-10-2012 by Vitruvian because: spell

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zarniwoop
Stewart was using "optimal" referring to the WH response to Americans regarding the situation. Obama then stepped in it deep by applying the word "optimal" to the deaths themselves happening.

As a result of the miscommunication between government entities

[... the perception seemed to be that state was on a different page than you...]

The snippet of the conversation posted by buster
reply to post by buster2010

shows that Obama was referring to the result of communication/miscommunication of governmental entities that led to the deaths of those Americans in Benghazi not being optimal.

Completely acceptable and proper use of the word optimal; maybe if people appreciated the English language more we wouldn't have this type of problem.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by shadwgirl

How would you have answered Stewart's question?

"Not only was it not optimal, Jon, it was a downright disgrace!... I am therefore taking this opportunity to withdraw my candidacy.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
no, I meant violence. I mean any type of violence whether from jihad to getting shot in a drive by. It pains me when any life is lost to any type of violence. But maybe I should have been more specific to the situation. Also, I was trying to imagine being in Obama's shoes when I was typing my answer.
edit on 19-10-2012 by shadwgirl because: grammar

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

Completely acceptable and proper use of the word optimal; maybe if people appreciated the English language more we wouldn't have this type of problem.

Optimal = "Most favorable or desirable; optimum."

So, Obama was saying it wasn't the most desirable outcome, which opens the possibility of him meaning it wasn't all that bad... just not the most desirable. Or, he was using sarcasm, which is always interpreted correctly and works well when your talking about Americans getting killed.

Setting aside the proper usage of the word in a sentence, do you think he could have used a better one consdiering the circumstances?

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Boy there sure are a lot of folks jumping all over Obama about this tragic incident. A blatant attack on Americans, a terrorist attack. Of course Obama is culpable, as the Commander in Chief.... however, I seem to recall another tragic incident that occured during Bush's term as well though......

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Blarneystoner

Yes, and he was attacked as well. No matter who is president, we expect them to do their job and protect us. When that doesn't happen we criticize as we should. However, the response to both tragedies were very different from each president as it has been through out history when ever we are attacked.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   

reply to post by eNumbra

Optimal = "Most favorable or desirable; optimum."

So, Obama was saying it wasn't the most desirable outcome, which opens the possibility of him meaning it wasn't all that bad... just not the most desirable. Or, he was using sarcasm, which is always interpreted correctly and works well when your talking about Americans getting killed.

Setting aside the proper usage of the word in a sentence, do you think he could have used a better one consdiering the circumstances?

No, because by using the word optimal, and listening to the sentence and context in which he's saying it, he's saying he want to fix the problem because they didn't receive the optimal outcome. What's being said in the snippet is less about the people who died and the incident itself than it is about fixing the mishaps that led to it and ensuring optimal outcomes in the future.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

If you have to read that much into it to justify the use, then it was likely not the optimal word to use.

Instead of saying it's "not" something, it's better to identify instead what the "something" is. There are quite a few things it was not. There are only a few things that it was. Like, a disgrace or unacceptable.

But saying that the word "optimal" was the best possible word he could have used or repeated in this scenario is comical.

The only thing slightly sillier, I suppose, is arguing about it.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

Didn't she consider her son was taking a chance and risking his life by being in Libya?
Did she not know that every possible outcome was not necessarily rosy?
I don't think the President intended disrespect but ... politicizing her own sons passing?
edit on 19-10-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   

reply to post by eNumbra

If you have to read that much into it to justify the use, then it was likely not the optimal word to use.

It's called following the conversation; I suppose it's easier for some than it is for others.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

I suppose it's easier for some than it is for others.

It seems that your ability to analyze is only as as good as your attempts to put people down.

That will take you far in life
...that's sarcasm, by the way

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

You know what I find the most disgusting? People using the deaths of these men as a political tool to attack someone.

It's not so classy to be using the deaths of fellow Americans to claim a point for your party

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I'm sure she's very hurt, but in my mind the people responsible should be the target of her anger, not the executive branch of the federal government

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by syrinx high priest

posted on 19-10-2012 @ 04:09 PM this post I'm sure she's very hurt, but in my mind the people responsible should be the target of her anger, not the executive branch of the federal government

CIA is the hand at the end of that arm, I'm sad to say.
Yeah, she could be angry at the Arabs if she wanted to be,
but the intelligent look farther and point the finger higher.
That's why there aren't many intelligent people left. LMAO

So. Who really put the Ambassador and his crew in harm's way?
Do any of you recall Hillary bringing all the ambassadors in for an off the wire meeting not too long ago?
Do any of you recall Hillary saying anything to the effect that our ambassadors were in danger?

Did she smile when she took the blame?
Oh, the grease that oils the juggernaut in washington is BLOOD.

edit on 19-10-2012 by KhufuKeplerTriangle because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

The definition of Optimal is "most desirable or satisfactory." The President said whenever Americans are killed it is "not optimal." In other words the President said that 'Americans being killed is not desirable or satisfactory.' You are right, someone with a poor understanding of the English language or an agenda to point a finger at Obama, or an angry mother upset that their child was lost is looking for a scapegoat.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

I just wish the dems understood the same way about Romney's verbage
But no...they get all bent outta shape when someone points to their dear leader's and their comments

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant
reply to post by hp1229

Didn't she consider her son was taking a chance and risking his life by being in Libya?
Did she not know that every possible outcome was not necessarily rosy?
I don't think the President intended disrespect but ... politicizing her own sons passing?
edit on 19-10-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)
Sure..the son knew it...but probably not her...I'll not speculate. Perhaps the POTUS should say the same thing to her what you just mentioned
That would go down real nice

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join