It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'My son is NOT very optimal... he is very dead': Mother of U.S. diplomat killed in Libya attack sl

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by eNumbra

Originally posted by Zarniwoop
reply to post by eNumbra

If you have to read that much into it to justify the use, then it was likely not the optimal word to use.

It's called following the conversation; I suppose it's easier for some than it is for others.
Its the same with the Romney statements
People just take things out of context..not just the republicans but the Dems too

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by hp1229

Originally posted by newcovenant
reply to post by hp1229

Didn't she consider her son was taking a chance and risking his life by being in Libya?
Did she not know that every possible outcome was not necessarily rosy?
I don't think the President intended disrespect but ... politicizing her own sons passing?
edit on 19-10-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)
Sure..the son knew it...but probably not her...I'll not speculate. Perhaps the POTUS should say the same thing to her what you just mentioned
That would go down real nice

Perhaps everyone should take what Obama says out of context?

Her claiming her son was "not Optimal" makes it sound as if her son was not playing with a full deck. She makes it sound as if her son was a little mentally incompetent. Sorry, but she does.

I only opened the thread because I thought at first this was the mother of the Autistic 18 year old who was murdered in cold blood by the local American POLICE after that guys mom called for help. But it wasn't. If you don't venture into these threads and try to get what they are talking about you might never know someone made a case for this.

I found this one shocking that "they" would use this woman or worse that she would cooperate with a clear political maneuver, to embarrass our POTUS instead of standing strong and united against our enemies in the region. It there no lengths this GOP will not go to, no levels too low to broach... to win an election?

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

Dear newcovenant,

Hi, again. I'm jumping in because I'd like something clarified. I haven't been following this closely, and I'm hoping you can help.

I found this one shocking that "they" would use this woman or worse that she would cooperate with a clear political maneuver, to embarrass our POTUS instead of standing strong and united against our enemies in the region. It there no lengths this GOP will not go to, no levels too low to broach... to win an election?
I assumed, and it sounded like, this was a cry of anguish from a wounded mother. It didn't seem to be political, it seemed more a protest against an unfeeling jab. You can see the reaction it caused here. I thought it was definitely insensitive at least, regardless of the politics.

This doesn't cause me object to Obama as a politician, but to him as a man.

Consider the nurse coming out of surgery to tell a mother her son died. As the doctor comes out, she rushes up to him, crying "Is it true? Is my son dead?" The doctor replies, "Well, it wasn't the optimal outcome, now was it?"

I would think anyone would either insult or assault the doctor after a comment like that. In the same way, this isn't about politics, it's about Obama, the man, acting like a jerk. (No, I'm not saying here that he IS a jerk, just that he acted like one this time.)

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Were not you guys just complaining about "binders".....lol

You guys have been grabing one word over and over against Ronmey and twisting it any which way you can. I would not act all high and mighty now.

I think Obama had a wierd way of saying it, but I don't think he was being distrspectful.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
" I found this one shocking that "they" would use this woman or worse that she would cooperate with a clear political maneuver, to embarrass our POTUS instead of standing strong and united against our enemies in the region. It there no lengths this GOP will not go to, no levels too low to broach... to win an election?"

I'm really sorry about this but someone needs to bring it up......CINDY SHEEHAN.....

Now my personal opinion, no matter who the mother is, I feel it is always wrong to politicize a person's death. That isn't my point in any of my posts. My point is about sensitivity. Either you have it or you don't. Obama, to me, just hasn't shown much sensitivity in this instance.
edit on 19-10-2012 by shadwgirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
3 pages of this.. Never saw where the ambassadors father asked for his sons death to not be politicised here.. I searched but no luck, wonder if it made it to three pages if it ever did show.

www.smh.com.au...

WASHINGTON -- The father of Christopher Stevens, the U.S. ambassador to Libya who was killed in the attack in Benghazi last month, said his son's death shouldn't be politicized in the presidential campaign.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
To all of the individuals who cannot listen and comprehend what someone is saying for themselves I wish you would think for yourselves, and unfortunately the poor mother who lost her son also getting sucked into this has to be victim of this stupidity.

I would save myself the anquish by not allowing the press to play politics with such a serious subject, remember the media plays on words and sound bytes to say whatever they feel for their purposes..

Lets move some things around, go back and watch and listen.

What was not optimal ?
answer:
The response the attacks
edit on 19-10-2012 by phinubian because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by phinubian

. . . unfortunately the poor mother who lost her son also getting sucked into this has to be victim of this stupidity.
Do you think the mother was sucked into this by political operatives, or did she express her pain at the comments Obama made? True, that pain is getting a lot of air time, one way or the other, but I have a hard time believing she was set up by Republicans.

I really like your advice to "go back and watch and listen." That's the best way and I applaud you.
I found a transcript of Obama's comment, taken from the White House press pool report:

Jon Stewart: “Is part of the investigation helping the communication between these divisions? Not just what happened in Benghazi, but what happened within. Because I would say, even you would admit, it was not the optimal response, at least to the American people, as far as all of us being on the same page."

POTUS: "Here’s what I’ll say. If four Americans get killed, it’s not optimal. We’re going to fix it. All of it. And what happens, during the course of a presidency, is that the government is a big operation and any given time something screws up. And you make sure that you find out what’s broken and you fix it. Whatever else I have done throughout the course of my presidency the one thing that I’ve been absolutely clear about is that America’s security comes, and the American people need to know exactly how I make decisions when it comes to war, peace, security, and protecting Americans. And they will continue to get that over the next four years of my presidency."
Honestly? I think the best you can say for Obama is that he made a confusing statement. He made no attempt to clarify, and caused hurt in the process. Of course, there is another explanation which is worse, but I think at best it was a bull in the china shop moment. We all have those occasionally, but I'm surprised that neither he, nor his friends, are willing to admit it.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Steven's mother was speaking out days before the controversy about Obama's insensitive words last night. I saw her interviewed on CNN and she was angry that no one from the Obama administration had gotten back with her to update her regarding how her son had died. Despite promises to her that she would be contacted, she had received no such contact. This situation just added more salt to her wounds.

To see the CNN video of her being interviewed scroll down to the bottom of the provided link. This is from October 11th. She has been speaking out for awhile.

article

If someone knows how to embed the video from this article please help out, thanks. (can't find it on youtube)
edit on 19-10-2012 by MsAphrodite because: (no reason given)

Mother of state department official killed in Benghazi attack says she can't trust Obama administration - because it won’t tell her how he died.

Pat Smith told CNN the White House had not contacted following the first expressions of sympathy Her only son Sean was killed in the September 11 attack which killed ambassador Chris Stevens Obama administration originally said assault stemmed from protests against anti-Islam video but then backtracked saying terrorists responsible

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
It is sad how the right wing keeps politicizing the deaths of Americans. It's down right sickening actually.
edit on 19-10-2012 by 3chainz because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

True Charles but I don't think he said that or anything like that and the comment was taken out of context. I visualize a reporter hollering how did you feel when you heard Obama say your sons death was not optimal? That is the way they do it. First they begin a lie and then get a sympathetic public figure to react to it. The mom of a dead diplomat. I recall him saying he met the caskets as they arrived back in America. That is respect and so to say now that he doesn't respect the dead is disingenuous and I think unfair characterization of the man who I believe cares deeply.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by shadwgirl " I found this one shocking that "they" would use this woman or worse that she would cooperate with a clear political maneuver, to embarrass our POTUS instead of standing strong and united against our enemies in the region. It there no lengths this GOP will not go to, no levels too low to broach... to win an election?"

I'm really sorry about this but someone needs to bring it up......CINDY SHEEHAN..... Now my personal opinion, no matter who the mother is, I feel it is always wrong to politicize a person's death. That isn't my point in any of my posts. My point is about sensitivity. Either you have it or you don't. Obama, to me, just hasn't shown much sensitivity in this instance.
edit on 19-10-2012 by shadwgirl because: (no reason given)

True. He could launch a war and lose 4000 more lives. Now THAT is showing respect for the dead.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Did you even watch the video I just linked? Did you open the article? Do you still find the Obama administrations treatment of Ambassador Steven's mother sympathetic?

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by MsAphrodite

Did you even watch the video I just linked? Did you open the article? Do you still find the Obama administrations treatment of Ambassador Steven's mother sympathetic?

No I didn't, but I am not searching for evidence the President is a compassionate man. You are.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I apologize newcovenant. I'm not sure if I misread your prior post or if your edits changed the context of what you said. Either way, I see now that you do not find Obama's behavior in this case to be sympathetic.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Oh my, now your post changed yet again. Please disregard my apology. Apparently I was right the first time.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant

Originally posted by MsAphrodite

No I didn't, but I am not searching for evidence the President is a compassionate man. You are.

Please re-read what I said. What you just said here is quite a spin of my comment. I was speaking specifically about Obama's behavior in this instance towards this woman. I am not generalizing about Obama's overall level of compassion.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero
Were not you guys just complaining about "binders".....lol

You guys have been grabing one word over and over against Ronmey and twisting it any which way you can. I would not act all high and mighty now.

I think Obama had a wierd way of saying it, but I don't think he was being distrspectful.

aint that the truth.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zarniwoop
reply to post by eNumbra

I suppose it's easier for some than it is for others.

It seems that your ability to analyze is only as as good as your attempts to put people down.

I wasn't trying to put you down, but we all must excel at something.

Originally posted by hp1229
Its the same with the Romney statements
People just take things out of context..not just the republicans but the Dems too

Yes, both sides of the aisle are brimming with idiots and snake-oil-salesmen; which is exactly why I do my best to stay out of political discussions entirely.

America during an election cycle is little more than a minefield in a cesspool and ATS, as much as we'd like to think better of ourselves is the very same: this thread, it's far longer cousin and all the same crap spewed about regularly here are proof that we're destined to dance to the puppet strings for years to come.

Too many people take the easy way out and allow others to think for them because thinking is just so very hard.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join