It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is God's name really Yahweh?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Yahweh is not the name of the true God. Yahweh is made up of two words "yah" and "ahweh/ahveh". It means moon god of perversion.

The true name of God was given to Moses. It is Ehjeh or Jeh in its short form.

Jehovah is also wrong. Although it includes the short form of the true name of God, it also adds the Hebrew word "hovah" meaning ruin, destruction onto it.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

"Ehjeh" means "I AM", it's a title God gave first to Moses.
That is in Exodus 3:14, In the Septuagint it says εγω ειμι (ego eimi), which you see in the Gospel of John, Jesus saying.

His Name which was given previously to Abraham was Yahweh. God uses over a hundred various titles for Himself, but I have seen only one proper Name. YHWH appear over 7,000 times in the Hebrew text.
In Exodus 6:3 it says,
I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac and to Jacob as God Almighty, but by my name the LORD I did not make myself known to them.
So if it says The Lord in Genesis, then obviously the scribes wrote it in, after Moses, and was their interpretation of the Abraham story.
edit on 19-10-2012 by jmdewey60 because: add Bible quote: "For the creation eagerly waits for the revelation of the sons of God." Romans 8:19

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by truejew

Yahweh is not the name of the true God.

It would have been to Moses, where his father in law, Jethro, was a priest to the god of the Midianites, an ancient tribe in northwest Arabia, said in the Hebrew Scriptures to be descendants of Abraham. That seems to be the origin of the name, Yahweh.
edit on 19-10-2012 by jmdewey60 because: add Bible quote: "For the creation eagerly waits for the revelation of the sons of God." Romans 8:19

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60

"Ehjeh" means "I AM", it's a title God gave first to Moses.
That is in Exodus 3:14, In the Septuagint it says εγω ειμι (ego eimi), which you see in the Gospel of John, Jesus saying.

His Name which was given previously to Abraham was Yahweh. God uses over a hundred various titles for Himself, but I have seen only one proper Name. YHWH appear over 7,000 times in the Hebrew text.
In Exodus 6:3 it says,
I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac and to Jacob as God Almighty, but by my name the LORD I did not make myself known to them.
So if it says The Lord in Genesis, then obviously the scribes wrote it in, after Moses, and was their interpretation of the Abraham story.

Well, I don't imagine the Greek Septuagint would have the Hebrew title "Ehjeh".
The LXX was only around 3 centuries before Christ was born. And the scribes inserted LORD (Adonai) in 7,000 places for the Hebrew YHWH for purposes of respect/reverence.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blue_Jay33
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

I disagree because I have unitarian style belief of God and Jesus, they are separate distinct spiritual beings with there own personal names, do you know what Jesus's heavenly name is? Because Jesus is the earthly anglicized name. He received a different name when he was created before the physical universe existed. He became Jesus at his earthly birth, and the Christ at his baptism.

His previous name was Yahweh, the name he reclaimed when he ascended and is why he holds the Name above all names. He always existed, hence why he is who was, and is, and is to come. Only the Father can reveal the Son and only the Son can reveal the Father. Why? Because John 14 "I and my Father are One", when Philip asked Jesus to show them the father, Jesus replied "have i been with you so long Philip and still you do not know me?", this was Jesus revealing to Philip the Father. The Son of God is the physical manifestation of the Father, this is how he was begotten. He always existed.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

His previous name was Yahweh, the name he reclaimed when he ascended and is why he holds the Name above all names.
Of course the above is pure speculation.
Jesus was already the I Am when he was doing his preaching in Galilee.
The New Testament never mentions the name YHWH but talks about how the old covenant was administered by angels.
Jesus is the image of God and was with God before the creation.
All the attributes of someone assuming the title Lord was conferred onto Jesus and it is recognized in Hebrews and Philippians.
The place that comes the closest to linking Jesus with the old testament Lord is Jude but that is a highly flawed book, meaning there are many variants with none being in itself an authoritative representative of the entire book.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 03:31 AM
link   

reply to post by truejew

It would have been to Moses, where his father in law, Jethro, was a priest to the god of the Midianites, an ancient tribe in northwest Arabia, said in the Hebrew Scriptures to be descendants of Abraham. That seems to be the origin of the name, Yahweh.

Yahweh comes from YHWH, which is Babylonian in origin.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by truejew

reply to post by truejew

How does it then appear in the Torah more than 1,100 times? The Torah was written by Moses (1446 - 1404 BC).
edit on 20-10-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   

What does "Yahweh" mean? What's the modern translation for it? I've always understood it to mean 'carpenter', because the characters seem to translate into 'See the hand, see the nail'. Pretty cruel foreshadowing...

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

reply to post by truejew

How does it then appear in the Torah more than 1,100 times? The Torah was written by Moses (1446 - 1404 BC).

Do you have or have seen the originals written by Moses?

YHWH was added in during or after their time in Babylon. Moses would have written the name that God gave him, which was Ehjeh.
edit on 20-10-2012 by truejew because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   

reply to post by truejew

Do you have or have seen the originals written by Moses?

YHWH was added in during or after their time in Babylon. Moses would have written the name that God gave him, which was Ehjeh.
edit on 20-10-2012 by truejew because: (no reason given)

Have you seen them to state that the Name YHWH doesn't appear? "Ehjeh" in Hebrew means "I AM", it's not a proper name, it's a title much like "Most High", or "Almighty". And when God told Moses to tell Pharaoh that I AM sent him He told him that his forefathers knew Him as YHWH. The Name YHWH appears 7,000 times in the Tenackh.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

What does "Yahweh" mean? What's the modern translation for it? I've always understood it to mean 'carpenter', because the characters seem to translate into 'See the hand, see the nail'. Pretty cruel foreshadowing...

It would actually be "behold the hand, behold the nail", or "behold the nailed hand". It points to the crucifixion.

And if you know anything about the ELS codes of the Torah that have been found by computers YHWH appears thousands of times, also the Hebrew Name of Jesus. When the Jews discovered the Yeshua codes they have put an enormous amount of money and effort into disinfo about the codes. I understand their massive problem, but it's their problem. Lol

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by truejew

I have several books just on the origin of YHWH and there is no mention in them of anything like that.
There is an interview with Frank Moore Cross (who just died a few days ago) by Biblical Archaeology that you can download free from their site (you may have to sign up for a free email newsletter) where he describes the origin of the name YHWH.
edit on 20-10-2012 by jmdewey60 because: add Bible quote: "For the creation eagerly waits for the revelation of the sons of God." Romans 8:19

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   

The Torah was written by Moses (1446 - 1404 BC).

No one but the most rabid fundamentalists believe that.
Genesis chapter 1 is very late, something recognized by all legitimate biblical scholars.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   

The Torah was written by Moses (1446 - 1404 BC).

No one but the most rabid fundamentalists believe that.
Genesis chapter 1 is very late, something recognized by all legitimate biblical scholars.

Jesus said the first 5 books were written by Moses. I'll side with Him over any scholar any day of the week.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   

The Name YHWH appears 7,000 times in the Tenackh.

Christians call it the old testament.
Jews, who do not accept the New Testament, call it that.
It makes me suspicious of what kind of cult you represent with your quasi-judaism.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Jesus said the first 5 books were written by Moses.

The quote is:
John 7:19
Has not Moses given you the law? Yet not one of you keeps the law. Why are you trying to kill me?"

Not quite the same thing.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
God has no name. To name God is to defile what is sacred.
This, (what appears here) is wordless and if you see what is here without words you might just feel the presence of the lord.
The peace that surpasses all understanding is here before the words turn it into something it is not.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

God has no name. To name God is to defile what is sacred.

Of course this is the only proper way to understand it.
God is the one who is living, vs. dead, like idols, who can not hear you.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Have you seen them to state that the Name YHWH doesn't appear?

Since YHWH is from Aramaic and not Hebrew, is used in witchcraft, and the only artifacts found with it have been found in pagan temples, it could not have appeared in the originals written by Moses.

"Ehjeh" in Hebrew means "I AM", it's not a proper name, it's a title much like "Most High", or "Almighty".

Not exactly. "I AM" is not a correct translation, only as close as they could guess. It should have then be left as Ehjeh.

And when God told Moses to tell Pharaoh that I AM sent him He told him that his forefathers knew Him as YHWH. The Name YHWH appears 7,000 times in the Tenackh.

It was changed to YHWH during or after their time in Babylon.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join