Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Is God's name really Yahweh?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I dont see it and i did a google search on bible verses. What chapter is it shown in?
edit on 18-10-2012 by vaelamin because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
From my understanding it is the Hebrew word for God. Found in the old testament. You are not going to find it in any English bible's because it has been translated..

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by vaelamin

From wikipedia:

In the Hebrew scriptures the Jewish name of God is considered sacred and, out of deep respect for the name, religious Jews do not say the name of God and do not erase it if it is written.[citation needed] (See Exodus 20:7) The tetragrammaton (Hebrew: יהוה, English: YHVH) is the name for the group of four Hebrew letters which represent the name of God. The Tetragrammaton occurs 6,828 times in the Hebrew text in the Biblia Hebraica and the Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia. Neither vowels nor vowel points were used in ancient Hebrew writings.

Some claim the pronunciation of YHWH has been lost, while other authorities say it has not and that it is pronounced Yahweh

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   
no....

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Greenx06
From my understanding it is the Hebrew word for God. Found in the old testament. You are not going to find it in any English bible's because it has been translated..

You dont usually translate names... specially not GOD's name!!!!

sorry I actually laughed while typing this... you LOST the name of God?!? lol... I mean, is there anything more important in the bible besides god? And His name was "Lost in Translation"... wow!

There was a lot of stuff they could screw up in translation... everything actually BUT GOD'S NAME!

This is... funny in a very disturbing way...
and how easy those words come out "oh God's name doesnt appear on the bible because it has been translated... yea well... ya know... oops"

I'm. lol... I've got no words. seriously.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

Okay, maybe I should have been more specific. It is not a literal translation from one word or another, however it is a word created in a different language to use instead of of the words used in Hebrew such as Yahweh, or Elohim. So in a sense, that is a translation, yes. When there wasnt a word in a language to describe this being, they created one. In this case, the word, God, which its roots of origin are still unclear, for it could have been a combo of several different languages, but many are leading the the Anglo-Saxon/ Germanic word Gott.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   
I just had a thought that hit my funny bone....

What if the Hebrews got the pronunciation wrong, and instead of Yahweh being correct,
may be the sound is more like Oy Vey......

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   

I dont see it and i did a google search on bible verses. What chapter is it shown in?

Look in the beginning of the New Testament, in Matthew, Chapter 1.
God's name is Jesus.
edit on 19-10-2012 by jmdewey60 because: add Bible quote: "For the creation eagerly waits for the revelation of the sons of God." Romans 8:19

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Dear vaelamin,

Are we looking for spelling or the noise it makes? Think about what I asked because many who claim to be christians do not. His name, the name of God has a meaning, it is not about the spelling or the translations of sounds from any language, His name meant "I Am". It is what the words meant that has never been lost and it means the same today as it did then. He is the great "I Am", the great self-awareness, that goes to the all knowing part. As long as we are discussing names, "Jesus Christ" means God's forgiveness or God's salvation. The meaning of the names is what matters much more than the sound or the spelling.

There are many people who believe themselves to be christans that think saying his name properly is what matters. The bible said that it would be spread through the whole world and it was, in everyone's unique language, not in Hebrew, not in Greek, not in Latin. It was spread in people's own unique languages. I was blessed enough to meet a woman who was a missionary, she went to Papua New Guinea and spent decades learning their language and translating their language into a written language, they didn't have one. She went to where headhunters were, the first white woman they had ever seen. They did not have a word for forgiveness, they did not have a word for wheat. Their food staple was the sap from a tree that they rolled until it was like a hard jello. That was their wheat and that is the word she chose to explain what the food staple was.

I am a Christian and I about to offend many who call themselves such and do not understand what it really is to be a Christian. The sound of God's name and Jesus's name is not important. It is not a trick or a game, it is about understanding love and forgiveness. It is about loving God with all your heart and your neighbor as yourself. The bible says that many will come to him saying his name, properly, and he will say that he never knew them. They did not help others who were in jail or in pain or in loss, they were more concerned about their own salvation and therefore did not love their brother as they loved themselves.

I do hope that helped.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

Jesus is the son. So we dont know the real name of God? Is it hidden?

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   
If you trifle yourself with silly questions such as "what is god's name" you will only be tripping yourself up.

My friend, a name is a label. People use labels for convenience, yet nobody has the 'exact same' experiences and in turn define the labels the same way. The name is not important. In the end it is only going to come down to your relationship with god, and not what you have concluded for a name.

Sit down and make yourself meditate for twenty minutes. Focus on your breathing. Count 4 seconds of inhaling, and 4 seconds of exhaling. Repeat for 25 breaths. You will find yourself losing focus and maybe even count, this is normal... but do your best to focus on the timed breathing. As you find yourself losing focus and then 'coming back' to what you were doing time after time, you begin to 'see' the pattern. You begin to see and feel the difference in consciousness. Words are only labels that describe what i attempt to convey to you, but what i am trying to convey are pure feeling and emotion.

If you can, do this 7 times in 7 days and make yourself do it properly. If you still feel that you are concerned about what god's name is, i would admit my failed attempt at passing wisdom.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   

I guess the answer to your question is no, it has not been revealed. God has never formally introduced himself as (enter name here). When he spoke to the prophets he simply introduced himself as "I am" So, as explained above, words were created in different languages for that saying "I am."

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   

YHVH

According to religions. (religions I don't agree with)

I found these on a Google search.

Jeremiah 33:2 "YHVH Who made the earth, Who formed it and set it firm - YHVH is His Name - says this: 'Call to Me and I will answer you ...'"

Isaiah 12:4 "Give thanks to YHVH - call His Name aloud. Proclaim His deeds to the nations, declare His Name sublime. Sing of YHVH, for He has done marvelous things - let it be known to the whole world!".

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Jesus is the son. So we dont know the real name of God? Is it hidden?

Jesus is the name of God.
That is the way it works, He (God) is known by someone who is His representative who "carries His name".
In the Old Testament times it was an angel known as YHWH, which means "I Am".
Jesus is now the "I AM".
Superior over the old designated name carrier, being actually the Son of God, and also by virtue of that relationship, a god in his own right.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Greenx06

Dear Greenx06,

Are you sure? Didn't he introduce himself to Moses?

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

In the Old Testament times it was an angel known as YHWH, which means "I Am".

Do you have a link or verses saying the OT says YHWH is an angel?

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Gods name is YHWH ("I am that I am."), the Hebrew Tetragrammaton representing the name of God. Most commonly viewed as Yahweh.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

Exodus 3:13-14

"Then Moses said to God, "If I come to the people of Israel and say to them, "The God of your fathers has sent me to you" and they ask me, "What is his name?" what shall I say to them? God said to Moses, "I am who I am" And he said, "Say this to the people of Israel, 'I am has sent me to you'"

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by FidelityMusic

Gods name is YHWH ("I am that I am."), the Hebrew Tetragrammaton representing the name of God. Most commonly viewed as Yahweh.

That's the Jew's sacred name.
Christians know that was not really God but an angel, so never call God YHWH.
The Old Testament is not called that for no reason.
It is entirely obsolete and has been superseded.
edit on 19-10-2012 by jmdewey60 because: add Bible quote: "For the creation eagerly waits for the revelation of the sons of God." Romans 8:19

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   
According to Exodus 34:14, his name is Jealous:

Do not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.

clicky
edit on 19-10-2012 by SilentKoala because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join