It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is God's name really Yahweh?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

Do you have a link or verses saying the OT says YHWH is an angel?

In Exodus, the angel appeared to Moses.
He said he was know by different names to his ancestors but that he should know him as I Am.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

I personally disregard the common conception that angels are like a class of people under gods control. To me, Angel is a form. God showed himself to Moses upon the burning bush in a Angelic form. A spiritual form used when communicating to us. In Exodus, it says that THE angel of God appeared to him, not AN angel of the lord appeared to him.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   
JEHOVAH. That is what HE said. Once. In The Bible. To Moses.

According to the King James Version.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:34 AM
link   
God is formless so is not a thing. Only 'things' are named. God is the un-nameable.
God is the nothing (know-thing) that knows 'things'.
All seeing, all knowing and everpresent.

God is awareness.
edit on 19-10-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Tao Te Ching
Written by Lao-tzu
From a translation by S. Mitchell

Chapter one,

The tao that can be told
is not the eternal Tao
The name that can be named
is not the eternal Name.

The unnamable is the eternally real.
Naming is the origin
of all particular things.

Free from desire, you realize the mystery.
Caught in desire, you see only the manifestations.

Yet mystery and manifestations
arise from the same source.
This source is called darkness.

Darkness within darkness.
The gateway to all understanding.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Everyone has their opinion on God.

The OP was clearly speaking about an orthodox Biblical interpretation.

Stay on topic.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60
reply to post by vaelamin

Jesus is the son. So we dont know the real name of God? Is it hidden?

Jesus is the name of God.
That is the way it works, He (God) is known by someone who is His representative who "carries His name".
In the Old Testament times it was an angel known as YHWH, which means "I Am".
Jesus is now the "I AM".
Superior over the old designated name carrier, being actually the Son of God, and also by virtue of that relationship, a god in his own right.

"Ehjeh" means "I AM", it's a title God gave first to Moses. His Name which was given previously to Abraham was Yahweh. God uses over a hundred various titles for Himself, but I have seen only one proper Name. YHWH appear over 7,000 times in the Hebrew text.

edit on 19-10-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by DENBY
JEHOVAH. That is what HE said. Once. In The Bible. To Moses.

According to the King James Version.

Which is Latinized... Hebrews don't have a "J" phonetic sound. James is the Latinized rendering of Yaakov, Joshua is the rendering of Yehoshua, Judah is the rendering of Yehudah, Jerusalem is the rendering of Yerushalyim.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
His name is Yahweh, but you can also call him by the name he chose to reveal himself by, Yeshua ha'Meschiach in aramaic or Jesus the Christ in english. When you see the word LORD in all caps in the bible, thats where the tetragrammaton YHVH/YHWH should be, the jews back then had a ban on saying the name of God and it was blasphemy to speak his name aloud, so they supplimented his titles for his name, which he did not consent to, but rather in the old testament he commanded his name to be proclaimed to all the world. To this day the orthodox jews call him ha'Shem "the ineffable name" or "the name" because they consider his name to sacred to be spoken which is directly disobeying him when he told them to proclaim his name, not keep it hidden under meaningless titles.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by SilentKoala
According to Exodus 34:14, his name is Jealous:

Do not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.

clicky
edit on 19-10-2012 by SilentKoala because: (no reason given)

That's not what he is saying. He is saying he is jealous with his name. His glory and his praise he will not give to anyone else that is what he is saying.

Isaiah 42:8

8 “I am the Lord, that is My name;
I will not give My glory to another,
Nor My praise to graven images.

"Graven images" refers to idols and false gods. The polytheists and pagans were worshipping the things they made with their hands. He's saying he is the only real God. As above, transfer the tetragrammaton YHVH for LORD.
edit on 19-10-2012 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by vaelamin
I dont see it and i did a google search on bible verses. What chapter is it shown in?
edit on 18-10-2012 by vaelamin because: (no reason given)

A fair question, I will answer with the bible as you requested.
Psalms 83:18 multiple bibles

Geneva Bible

That they may knowe that thou, which art called Iehouah, art alone, euen the most High ouer all the earth.

King James Bible

That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth.

World English Bible

that they may know that you alone, whose name is Yahweh, are the Most High over all the earth.

IHOT

H3045 וידעו That may know H3588 כי that H859 אתה thou, H8034 שׁמך whose name H3068 יהוה JEHOVAH, H905 לבדך alone H5945 עליון the most high H5921 על over H3605 כל all H776 הארץ׃ the earth.

This is from Strongs transliteration of the the Tetragrammaton.
3068 [e] Yah·weh יְהוָ֣ה is the LORD

I have studied this topic very extensively my conclusion is this:

1) God does have a personal name, "LORD" is a title.
2) God's name is represented in old Hebrew by the Tetragrammaton, the direct translation is not "LORD"
3) God's name in Hebrew began with "Y".
4) God's name in English begins with "J"
5) Most bibles if they use God's name at all, use "Jehovah"
6) Study of the scriptures reveals that all "Y" based names were changed to "J" in the conversion from Hebrew to English, so if you use Jesus, you use Jehovah.

edit on 19-10-2012 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Blue_Jay33

Or you just cut through all the red tape and call him Jesus or Yeshua because that is who he is. Only Father can reveal Son, only Son can reveal the Father and the Son revealed the Father to Philip in John 14 and practically made Philips eyes bug out of his head.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

I disagree because I have unitarian style belief of God and Jesus, they are separate distinct spiritual beings with there own personal names, do you know what Jesus's heavenly name is? Because Jesus is the earthly anglicized name. He received a different name when he was created before the physical universe existed. He became Jesus at his earthly birth, and the Christ at his baptism.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Wow alot of interesting stuff. So what do you think would happen when somone says he's name correctly? I remeber a storie about lilith and adam and she got mad at adam and said the Lords true name and rose up to heaven. Dont know if the storie is true or not but it is interesting.

Another question though. For all the people that call God Yahweh, If it turns out that that isnt his real name would that mean you were breaking one of the 10 commandments? Would be pretty scary to find that out during judgement.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   

If you use the name the bible uses Jehovah/Yahweh; how can God fault you for using the name in his own book ?

Calling on the name used in the bible is good even recommend.

Acts 2:21 NSB

It will come to pass, that whoever will call on the name of Jehovah will be saved.

Proverbs 18:10 NSB

The name of Jehovah is a strong tower. The righteous runs into it for protection.

So if you are going to prey that is the name to use, God listens when he hears his name being used.

edit on 19-10-2012 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Is God's name really Yahweh?

The more accurate question is, is the Bible really reliable?

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I actually believe that the God in the ancient testament is a false God, alien, or entity.

So no, I doubt Yahweh is the name of God.

His real name?

Well since we don't really know where, how and when is God...it's very hard to say.
If God "lives" as en entity and is part of another existence all together, he could have a real name but then, would he really be God the creator of everything if he was created?
edit on 19-10-2012 by theMediator because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
All I can do is seat here and read all the comments and shake my head down at my feet.

Yes God's name is Jehovah/Yahweh. I believe in him, I love him and he is the creator of all things.

Don't care about ATS community thinks..don't ask for no source because you won't get one.

Get to know him and understand the the "True God" and take the responsible approach by researching his name and why was it really taking out of the bible and you may learn something.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Anyone still have a "hard" time knowing the question well here.........I said I wasn't giving it out but so be it.

removinggodsname.xanga.com...

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
My two cents:

Sound has a very profound impact on the human body and the world around it, if you see it or not. Have you ever been at a concert and been near the speakers and almost felt like you were kicked in the chest every time the Bass hit? After a quick search I came up with a link that helps explain the physical effects of acoustics on the human body Link

It is possible that the true name of "God" when spoken actually has some effect on the world around it due to the frequency, amplitude, and modulation (don't get me started on harmonics, repetition, and reverberation) of the signal that is produced.

Everything that exists does so at a frequency. I am working on a theory that I will post later. It is way to complicated to type out, and construct properly, when my brain is fried after a long week. I'm sure I am on to something though.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join