It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who wants to quit smoking with me?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 04:30 AM
link   
I'm in; reset the QuitNow app on my phone for the last time.

For anyone who hasn't read it Allen Carr's "Easy Way to Stop Smoking" is a wonderful book, made cold turkey a walk in the park for me last time around...

Cheers and thank you very much OP for this post!

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by ExCommando

Me too. and as in the last few weeks I have gone from one to two packs a day I believe I must before it is too late.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 05:21 AM
link   
I'm with all you guys. Threw all my stuff away right now.

We can do it!!

Edit: Here's a video which rings true to me. Hope it will help give a boost to all of us who have quit today.
Let's not feel guilty for smoking in the past, rather feel liberated for giving up what we are not

edit on 19-10-2012 by redreemer because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   
I have a prescription for chantix and I've just ordered a ecig, they have different strength of nicotine levels all the way down 0% so you can get the oral fixation. Hope it works I hate smoking, good luck to everyone else!

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   
I've just starred every single post in your thread. I ordered my book by Allen Carr, The Easy Way To Quit Smoking, have my E-Cig, and will be joining the rest of you starting Monday...yes, I'm on a schedule for quitting.

I'm ready to do this....

Good Luck All!!!

Des

edit on 19-10-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Good luck buddy i wish you all the best! I tried to give up about 2 weeks ago, managed a week. Its not even the tobacco with me i dont smoke cigarettes. Its the joints(I add Tobacco to these). I wish the made patches and sprays to help with Cannabis addiction!

Again Good luck!

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I gave up on Tuesday 21st Feb 2012 23:50, cold turkey too.

Just remember; ODAAT. (One day at a time.)

The first week is the hardest, it's known as, "Hell week."

Once you have one day done, focus on three days -- then focus on a week.

After a week, focus on two weeks.

After two weeks focus on 30 days.

30 days is the magic number.

Once you hit 30 days, you have more or less broke the habit and the physical addiction is well and truly over weeks ago.

After 30 days, all you simply have to do is "keep going, one day at a time."

Hope this helps.

Oh, and remember! - - NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!!!!
edit on 19-10-2012 by yg2bfkm because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Good luck everybody!! I dipped tobacco for 15 years and tried everything you can think of to quit - cold turkey, the patch, hypnosis... I finally was able to quit with Zyban. I HIGHLY recommend it if you have trouble with cravings. I quit 13 years ago and never looked back. The Zyban nearly eliminated my cravings and that was the key for me.

Also, somebody mentioned why they want to quit. It might help you guys to record your personal reasons why you want to quit and use those to help each other stay motivated. Best wishes for success to all of you!!!

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I'm on the last pack of a carton I bought 2 weeks ago.
That carton was $59 purchased for me by a relative in another state.
My carton here where I live is $92.00

I have 4 cigs left.
Starting to think I should get an ecig.
I know people that used them but they used them excessively.
I think I'd have to keep track of how many puffs.

I've smoked for 20 yrs and 3 months.

So if I do this...... and keep posting..... I am gonna sound real cranky most of the time. I think I'd have to stay away from certain topics on here since it would be real easy for someone to antagonize me.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by obnoxiouschick

Quiting smoking is widely known to create internet trolls. lol

OK fine.. It's no laughing matter to troll people quitting an addiction.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by yg2bfkm

You were messing with other people that were trying to quit?
That sounds real nice.
I don't know the app.
I try not to use apps on my phone.

I'm leaving my post ... you edited yours now mine doesn't make sense. Thanks
edit on 10/19/2012 by obnoxiouschick because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by andy06shake

Same problem here too but I don't add tobacco to mine.

I really need to move to a place where it's legal though-I have stomach problems and it's the only thing that helps me eat.

Good luck to everyone! I haven't smoked a cigarette since 2007!!!!
edit on 19-10-2012 by natalia because: Hahahahaha

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I'm in...Just so happens I quit yesterday....But not cold turkey...Got the patch, the mist and an electronic cigarette....

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by ExCommando

Quitting cold turkey? You're nuts...but good luck - you'll need it.

As for me, I have a couple years left to go before my lungs lose their capacity to recover from the abuse. And at the moment, the effects of quitting would hurt me more than the smoking does. I can't tolerate that sort of distraction. Maybe later, but not now.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Nuke2013

Got the patch, the mist and an electronic cigarette....

In other words, you're trying to convince yourself you're quitting when in reality, you're just weaning yourself. I've heard stories of people smoking even more after switching to electronic cigarettes. It's still nicotine, which means you're still baiting the demon.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Dang don't throw all that stuff away mail it to me
I just started smoking again yesterday after quitting a few years ago.

Good luck to everyone that just quit or thinking about it...some things no one tells you when you quit: You will by the 3rd day or so start smelling everything again...and I mean everything, stinky fridge, trash can, mold inside the walls etc. that was the worst hurdle for me, then there's quit zits I never knew about these...most likely from increased stress hormones those last for 3 to 4 weeks or so. The worst was mornings for me, I'd almost have a panic attack trying to get one in my mouth...then I woke up with no craving at all one day...it just up and left.

But I don't suggest cold turkey...just keep spacing out the distance between smokes and deny the first several cravings to build will power, nicotine replacement works but people usually just become addicted to that instead. I think the e-cig route is a good one, buy two or three batteries; so you're not left without a charge and find a flavor or two you like.

Quitting for someone else is not going to work, the non smoking might work...but that relationship is doomed and won't work; I was a 2 pack a day 20 year smoker when I quit so yeah, trust me on that.

I'll keep why I started back to myself, as it isn't conducive to what you guys are trying to accomplish...so don't ask.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Great thread, thanks for the gee up... You can count me in, but after my footy team play at 5am,then I'm done.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I "quit" on Monday. I put quit in quotes because I got myself a nice E-cig and it has done wonders. Plus it actually tastes good. Vanilla menthol mmmmmm.
But no seriously I havent been a smoker for very long but I decided to quit before the addiction got real bad.
S&F

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Just like to add in this thread, take it as you will:

If you want to quit nicotine forever, you must cease nicotine ingestion.

By all means, if you are some sort of sado masochist, prolong the withdrawal all you like by using gum, patches, e-cigs and the like, but the reality is.. if you want to be free from nicotine, you must stop it altogether.

Studies have shown that people who quit cold turkey have a FAR higher success rate of staying quit 2 years later, than those who use quit-aids.

Your body is an incredibly intelligent being, and if you try any "cutting down", say for example, you say to yourself, I haven't smoked in two days, I can reward myself with a smoke now (believe me, you'll think these crazy things) -- then your body will be prepared to give you crave attacks for days and days longer than if you had just quit cold turkey to begin with. Your body thinks it can get it's nicotine fix so it will send the messages to your brain, as it has been conditioned into thinking, "oh.. the user hasn't fed me nicotine in 3 days, i'm sure it's coming any time now..." so nags you and nags you... (the craves).

If you quit cold turkey, and say to yourself, "Never take another puff" you will do yourself more favours in the long run. Your brain gets hit with a massive "What TF where's my nicotine?!" and it's bad for 3 days... but after that.. it's more or less clear sailing..Trust me. I've been there, I had quit a hundred times before my final quit attempt on Feb 21. The trick is simple, never take another puff!!!! Not one!!!

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by yg2bfkm

I see what you're stabbing at but...something tells me you're not a smoker or if are one never quit. Nicotine is out of your body in about 48 hours 72 max...no one stops for 2 days or 3 days and says wow i've been good time to have one...2 or 3 days no smoking is a successful cold turkey quit. Tapering builds will power especially in the case of chain smokers or heavy smokers, that would be half through a smoke and not even remember lighting it.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join