It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ESO set to make astounding disclosure!

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   
"Its orbit is very close to its star and it must be much too hot for life as we know it,”

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by UnknownEntity

I thank you for the news, I think it's really interesting.

And I have no idea why people are arguing so much. But C'est la vie right.

See you, when I see you.

Seven.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by GaryN
There is no proof that Alphas A and B or Proxima are Suns. All these recent findings of planets orbiting very close to stars should raise suspicions in anyone with any common sense. A 3 day orbit period? Give your heads a shake. What they are finding is Moons orbiting planets, and the whole of Cosmology is a bunch of BS perpetrated by a scientific elite who continue to keep us ordinary folk in the dark about the true nature of the Cosmos.
Show me that A or B or Proxima is a Sun before you go telling me that all the other billions of objects out there are Suns. Twaddle.

Why are you so sure these are moons orbiting planets? Seems these astronomers know a star/sun when they see on. The fact that they can see these stars is on account of the light/radiation they emit. I could point you to any number of sources that state that Proxima Alpha and Beta are stars, but it sounds like you want bonded/notarized photographs. Why the extreme skepticism? I am genuinely curious.

I'll grant you that a 3-day orbit around a star slightly smaller than ours is hard to get one's head around -- that's about 30 times faster/shorter than Mercury's orbit. Obviously this Alpha Centauri planet is very close to the star.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   
I just find it hilarious that these guys are searching the skies for wobbly stars to find habitable planets while spacecraft w/ real visitors from such planets are flying right by their telescope.

This is why I'd still like to launch my internet telescope project w/ wide spectrum sky cameras looking at the skies from multiple locations 24/7. We should be able to obtain proof of UFOs a hell of a lot easier.
edit on 17-10-2012 by ecoparity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 04:07 AM
link   
As per par for the course, I'm let down.

I'm most amazed by this:

They say this planet has an AU of 0.4 and an orbit of 3 days.

AU = 92,955,807.273 mi.

92,955,807.273 * 0.4 = this planet is 37182322.9092 mi. from its star

37182322.9092 * 2 = the circumference of its orbit is roughly 74364645.8184 mi.

74364645.8184 * 3.1416= its orbit is roughly 233623971.303 mi.

233623971.303 / 3 day orbit = 3,244,777 mph orbital velocity???

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Are you sure the announcement is this planet in Alpha Centauri? I´ve been following this thread and I understood, that there was embargo, meaning that no information will be bublished before tonight? Jurnalists signed contracts and all. How there´s full articles already online then?
Not that I hope some world changing news, but why are you so sure, that this planet is the announcement?

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amandla
Are you sure the announcement is this planet in Alpha Centauri? I´ve been following this thread and I understood, that there was embargo, meaning that no information will be bublished before tonight? Jurnalists signed contracts and all. How there´s full articles already online then?
Not that I hope some world changing news, but why are you so sure, that this planet is the announcement?

Because the embargo seems to have been broken

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by ecoparity
I just find it hilarious that these guys are searching the skies for wobbly stars to find habitable planets while spacecraft w/ real visitors from such planets are flying right by their telescope.

This is why I'd still like to launch my internet telescope project w/ wide spectrum sky cameras looking at the skies from multiple locations 24/7. We should be able to obtain proof of UFOs a hell of a lot easier.

Its a distraction. Government agents have been to other planets.

How the hell do we know the temperature of this planet?

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by IamAbeliever
Damn!! I had my bags packed and was hoping they had discovered a planet totally devoid of boy bands, Richard Simmons, and candy corn. Where beer flows like a babbling stream in a meadow and bacon grows on trees.

Maybe another day.

Thx

for

my

laugh for the day.. ! that was awesome !

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   
The Mars money machine went to well that they want to fool us for the world to spend money to go to this new world

0nly for light years!! but it would take Over 70 or more years to get to it.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by ecoparity

They are also studying how solar systems are formed. Do you usually find things you don't understand hilarious?

Knock yourself out:

fireballs.ndc.nasa.gov...

allsky.ca...

lunarmeteoritehunters.blogspot.com...

edit on 17-10-2012 by DJW001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Any time a big deal like ESO or NASA say they have an important announcement, they never really do. You all should know this by now.

8/10 is a planet like earth that is too hot for life to inhabit? I mean, seriously? If anything, this is a testament for future "announcements". You will know better than to over-excite yourself and maybe even lose sleep waiting for the "announcement", that will be completely earth shattering...

What a joke ....

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by phroziac

Originally posted by ecoparity

Its a distraction. Government agents have been to other planets.

How the hell do we know the temperature of this planet?

Maybe someone stuck a digital thermometer up its bum?

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Really? Thats It? Found an earth sized planet? While it is interesting it is not ground breaking. Feeling very let down. Bummed, was hoping for ET or something. Oh well on to the next.

www.ianslive.in.../Earth_sized_object_orbiting_closest_star-390045/SCI-TECH%20and%20HEALTH/36

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by tluna1

Something's wrong with your link, or the article was removed?

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
The reason they cannot distinguish between a planet and a star is simple. Planets and stars are identical, except for mass and age.

Both a star and a planet begin life as a low pressure system, which forms a black hole - which is in fact a very bright object. The magnetic field then traps the matter that is created and ejected by the black hole - in the case of a star, that forms a corona, in the case of a lower energy and mass planet it begins to form a crust.

There is only one fundamental type of celestial object, a black hole. Due to its mass, energy and speed of rotation it will develop a range of physical characteristics - if the black hole runs out of energy - then it will simply become an inert hollow sphere like our moon - but the centres of the gas giants are energy producing black holes, as is the centre of the earth.

Saturn and Jupiter both emit more energy than can be explained by reflection from the sun - there is no evidence which does not fit this theory.

Planets begin life as radiant and tiny suns - until their magnetic and gravitational fields collect enough of the matter that is ejected by them to form a shell around that energy source.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by tluna1
Really? Thats It? Found an earth sized planet? While it is interesting it is not ground breaking. Feeling very let down. Bummed, was hoping for ET or something. Oh well on to the next.

www.ianslive.in.../Earth_sized_object_orbiting_closest_star-390045/SCI-TECH%20and%20HEALTH/36

Someone posted a few days ago that he was informed this would be an 8 out of 10 on the wow scale. 10 being ET life forms. The bonafied media allowed to attend the conference yesterday certainly didn't honor any NDA.

Bummer

USA Today

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by hesse
"Its orbit is very close to its star and it must be much too hot for life as we know it,”

We also thought there couldn't be a binary star system within a binary star system. We are infants when it comes to understanding he cosmos.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amagnon
The reason they cannot distinguish between a planet and a star is simple. Planets and stars are identical, except for mass and age.

Planets and stars are not identical.

Both a star and a planet begin life as a low pressure system, which forms a black hole - which is in fact a very bright object.

Stars and planets don't form from low pressure systems and low pressure systems don't form black holes. Low pressure systems are a weather phenomenon.

There is only one fundamental type of celestial object, a black hole.

Wrong.

if the black hole runs out of energy - then it will simply become an inert hollow sphere like our moon - but the centres of the gas giants are energy producing black holes, as is the centre of the earth.

Black holes don't become inert hollow spheres. The Moon is not an inert hollow sphere. Centers of gas giants don't have black holes in them. There is no black hole in the center of the Earth.

edit on 17-10-2012 by Junkheap because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Amagnon

Please tell me you are joking! Planets and stars are two entirely different classes of things. Stars are massive, luminous bodies that have thermonuclear reactions generating light and heat; planets are bodies that do not have thermonuclear processes going on. (There is a grey area of bodies massive enough to give off infra-red radiation through mechanisms like gravitational collapse. These are called Brown Dwarfs.)

Both a star and a planet begin life as a low pressure system, which forms a black hole - which is in fact a very bright object. The magnetic field then traps the matter that is created and ejected by the black hole - in the case of a star, that forms a corona, in the case of a lower energy and mass planet it begins to form a crust.

No! I don't even know where to begin. Solar systems begin as clouds of dust and gas. Through a combination of pressure from the interstellar medium and gravitational and electromagnetic attraction, these clouds begin to condense. Most of the mass accumulates in the center, while dust further out begins to form planetesimals, small "protoplanets." If the central accumulation has enough mass, the heat of the gravitational collapse and the intense pressure caused by this infall can cause the nuclei of hydrogen atoms to fuse, giving off heat and light. The central mass becomes a star, and remains one so long as the outward pressure of the thermonuclear processes balance the force of gravitational collapse. Meanwhile, the planetesimals collide with each other, eventually clumping together to form planets. Black holes have nothing to do with it.

There is only one fundamental type of celestial object, a black hole. Due to its mass, energy and speed of rotation it will develop a range of physical characteristics - if the black hole runs out of energy - then it will simply become an inert hollow sphere like our moon - but the centres of the gas giants are energy producing black holes, as is the centre of the earth.

Are you saying that the Moon is a "burnt out" black hole?

Saturn and Jupiter both emit more energy than can be explained by reflection from the sun - there is no evidence which does not fit this theory.

Yes, both Jupiter and Saturn give off infra-red radiation due to atmospheric heating, and radio waves due to cyclotron radiation caused by the interaction of the solar wind and the planets' strong magnetic fields. What theory are you talking about?

Planets begin life as radiant and tiny suns - until their magnetic and gravitational fields collect enough of the matter that is ejected by them to form a shell around that energy source.

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join