learn more

ESO set to make astounding disclosure!

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Thanks for your scientific explanations in your post. You were more patient than I. I think I was looking a lot like "Rage Guy" here when I was typing out my post.
edit on 17-10-2012 by Junkheap because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Here's the Announcement!

www.eso.org...

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage

Originally posted by IamAbeliever
reply to post by abeverage

Was just on ESO myself. Nothing has changed there. My wife is scheduled for a c-section tomorrow. New baby and a major announcement.

Gonna be one hell of a day.

Good luck! There is a media embargo until tomorrow, but I have to think if it is earth shattering or a game changer it will leak. If not it's just more good science news about more planets being found...

Meh... I was right. Kinda cool but not crazy cool! Now wait till they tell us there is life there!

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

I think the true nature of all these space exploration ventures is not so much as to find life on other planets as much as it is to verify if we humans can live and exist, long term, on any of these identified planetary bodies.

We are looking out for US, not them. That is really our nature and you can bet if we do find a planet with life on it where we can exist, based on living conditions, there will be plans put into place to move in, and possibly eradicate any opposition, by any means necessary.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by UnknownEntity

tried searching for the info they said would be released and could only find this up to now

this is from ESO site
16 October 2012: European astronomers have discovered a planet with about the mass of the Earth orbiting a star in the Alpha Centauri system — the nearest to Earth. It is also the lightest exoplanet ever discovered around a star like the Sun. The planet was detected using the HARPS instrument on the 3.6-metre telescope at ESO’s La Silla Observatory in Chile. The results will appear online in the journal Nature on 17 October 2012
edit on 17/10/2012LONDON - Astronomers have found a new planet, the closest yet outside our solar system and just an astronomical stone’s throw away at four light years.

Researchers say it is too close to its sun to support life, with a surface temperature estimated at 1,200 degrees Celsius. But previous studies suggest that when one planet is discovered orbiting a sun there are usually others in the same system.

The new Earth-sized planet, announced in science journal Nature by Stephane Udry and Xavier Dumusque at the Geneva Observatory, orbits one of the suns in Alpa Centauri, roughly 25 trillion miles away.

“It’s a landmark discovery because it’s very low mass and it’s our closest neighbour,” said Udry.

Commenting on the find, University of California astronomer Greg Laughlin said: “This is our back yard, so to find out that planet formation occurred there is just extraordinary.”

Since the discovery of the first exoplanets - those outside our solar system - in the early 1990s over 800 have been found but this is the closest to Earth by maryhinge because: (no reason given)

edit on 17/10/2012 by maryhinge because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by MystikMushroom
reply to post by UnknownEntity

I'm leaning to an announcement that they have discovered a planet with an oxygen/nitrogen atmosphere.

Cool, but unless we have warp drive we'll never see it.

Nothing "Earth shattering", no "Aliens exist" proof. Nope, just another planet that may be able to support life.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   

ANTICLIMAX

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by maceov

But we DO have warp drive and hyper drive, etc. There has been so much advancement over the past few decades with the back-engineered alien technology. There is a secret space navy with a fleet of ships that can "take ET home"...

Just google the space navy and you will learn much.

Pretty fascinating stuff!!!

I'm really looking forward to this announcement tomorrow!!!

Blessings,

maceov

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amagnon
The reason they cannot distinguish between a planet and a star is simple. Planets and stars are identical, except for mass and age.

Both a star and a planet begin life as a low pressure system, which forms a black hole - which is in fact a very bright object. The magnetic field then traps the matter that is created and ejected by the black hole - in the case of a star, that forms a corona, in the case of a lower energy and mass planet it begins to form a crust.

There is only one fundamental type of celestial object, a black hole. Due to its mass, energy and speed of rotation it will develop a range of physical characteristics - if the black hole runs out of energy - then it will simply become an inert hollow sphere like our moon - but the centres of the gas giants are energy producing black holes, as is the centre of the earth.

Saturn and Jupiter both emit more energy than can be explained by reflection from the sun - there is no evidence which does not fit this theory.

Planets begin life as radiant and tiny suns - until their magnetic and gravitational fields collect enough of the matter that is ejected by them to form a shell around that energy source.

That's interesting as I've never heard planetary formation put quite that way, ("Planets begin life as radiant and tiny suns") I know of the flattening solar gas disc with a potential star in the centre, and Planetesimals forming out of the cosmic dust and accretion, and mutual gravity combination etc. I know that stars can form around black holes, but I wasn't aware that either a planet or star are formed out of a 'black hole'
I don't get what you say about the Moon being the remains of a black hole, and that the Moon is hollow for that reason. The Moon is too big in size to equate to a black hole as far as I know. Anyway could you point me to something that would be a help here.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
All I can say to this is "heh"

The Dogon people

The majority of Dogon practice an animist religion, including the ancestral spirit Nommo, with its festivals and a sect in which Sirius plays an important part. A significant minority of the Dogon practice Islam, another minority practice Christianity.

Nommo

The Nommo are ancestral spirits (sometimes referred to as deities) worshipped by the Dogon tribe of Mali. The word Nommos is derived from a Dogon word meaning, "to make one drink," The Nommos are usually described as amphibious, hermaphroditic, fish-like creatures. Folk art depictions of the Nommos show creatures with humanoid upper torsos, legs/feet, and a fish-like lower torso and tail. The Nommos are also referred to as “Masters of the Water”, “the Monitors”, and "the Teachers”. Nommo can be a proper name of an individual, or can refer to the group of spirits as a whole. For purposes of this article “Nommo” refers to a specific individual and “Nommos” is used to reference the group of beings.

In the latter part of the 1940s, French anthropologists Marcel Griaule and Germaine Dieterlen (who had been working with the Dogon since 1931) were the recipients of additional, secret mythologies, concerning the Nommo. The Dogon reportedly related to Griaule and Dieterlen a belief that the Nommos were inhabitants of a world circling the star Sirius (see the main article on the Dogon for a discussion of their astronomical knowledge). The Nommos descended from the sky in a vessel accompanied by fire and thunder. After arriving, the Nommos created a reservoir of water and subsequently dove into the water. The Dogon legends state that the Nommos required a watery environment in which to live.

In the 1970s a book by Robert Temple titled The Sirius Mystery popularized the traditions of the Dogon concerning Sirius and the Nommos. In The Sirius Mystery, Temple advanced the conclusion that the Dogon’s knowledge of astronomy and non-visible cosmic phenomenon could only be explained if this knowledge had been imparted upon them by an extraterrestrial race that had visited the Dogon at some point in the past. Temple related this race to the legend of the Nommos and contended that the Nommos were extraterrestrial inhabitants of the Sirius star system who had traveled to earth at some point in the distant past and had imparted knowledge about the Sirius star system as well as our own Solar System upon the Dogon tribes.

Carl Sagan has noted that the first reported association of the Dogon with the knowledge of Sirius as a binary star was in the 1940s, giving the Dogon ample opportunity to gain cosmological knowledge about Sirius and the solar system from more scientifically advanced, terrestrial societies whom they had come in contact with. It has also been pointed out that binary star systems like Sirius are theorized to have a very narrow or non-existent Habitable zone, and thus a high improbability of containing a planet capable of sustaining life (particularly life as dependent on water as the Nommos were reported to be).

Other sources:
www.sacredsites.com...

Sirius

At a distance of 2.6 parsecs (8.6 ly), the Sirius system contains two of the eight nearest stars to the Solar System[71] and is the fifth closest stellar system to ours.[71] This proximity is the main reason for its brightness, as with other near stars such as Alpha Centauri and in stark contrast to distant, highly luminous supergiants such as Canopus, Rigel or Betelgeuse.[72] However, it is still around 25 times more luminous than the Sun.[7] The closest large neighbouring star to Sirius is Procyon, 1.61 parsecs (5.24 ly) away.[73] The Voyager 2 spacecraft, launched in 1977 to study the four Jovian planets in the Solar System, is expected to pass within 4.3 light-years (1.3 pc) of Sirius in approximately 296,000 years.[74]

Alpha Centauri

Could it all be true?

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Here is why.... THIS IS HUGE

The Oort cloud is thought to occupy a vast space from somewhere between 2,000 and 5,000 AU (0.03 and 0.08 ly)[12] to as far as 50,000 AU (0.79 ly)[3] from the Sun. Some estimates place the outer edge at between 100,000 and 200,000 AU

Okay so conservative estimates place the Oort clouds outer edge at 1 Light Year Liberal estimates as far as 2-3 LY

A Further discovery that the Centauri system is similar to our own allows us to theorize that the same distance applies to that system as well.

What does this mean?

It means that the journey to the nearest Star might not be empty, with a conservative estimate we would be looking at a 2 light year jump of empty space between the respective Oort clouds of each system. with a Liberal estimate the small Icy bodies that create our comets could well over lap.

If the Journey between here and A Centauri allows for stops at bodies that have Water... Hydrogen and Oxygen

We can leave Earth

If there are worlds to establish colonies on, not even habitable worlds just resources, we can start the process with only 1/10th or 1/20 the speed of light as travel speed, we Potentially can create colonies all the way across.

We keep discovering small worlds beyond Pluto Like Sedna and others, this discovery ups the likely hood that such worlds exist on the fringes of the next system as well...

So what are we looking at for this Journey?

A living colony on Mars a small Earth like world can be made there, Venus? Could we decrease the co2 end the green house affect create another Earth? In time Yes....

Further Out the Asteroid belt, mining, resources... Next Jupiter Saturn, close to 200 moons, Colonies, mines, Fueling Station, Some Moons in Time Like Europa could serve as psuedo living worlds, vast oceans would allow for colonies in which Millions could thrive, maybe many more, perhaps Sea life could flourish, Saturn, Uranus and neptune even Pluto could allow for Mines, fueling Stations small colonies... of the sort you'd see on the Moon...

Further, Worlds like Sedna could hold simple bases.... Further, Inter Planetary Craft could get fuel from small icy bodies, again hydrogen and Water

Is there a Planet X around either system? A dark Jupiter lurking? Perhaps with an Orbit that takes it within 2 LY, Scientists estimate there could be 10x as many of these bodies as there are stars, anecdotal evidence says this is a viable reality...

Do we need another Earth? No... Just a Mars, a Europa, Even a Jupiter in that system and we can...keep going eventually

This means we can island hop our way to a new continent, that the Ocean of space has islands to gather what we need along the way.

This means we aren't doomed

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by penninja
Here is why.... THIS IS HUGE

The Oort cloud is thought to occupy a vast space from somewhere between 2,000 and 5,000 AU (0.03 and 0.08 ly)[12] to as far as 50,000 AU (0.79 ly)[3] from the Sun. Some estimates place the outer edge at between 100,000 and 200,000 AU

Okay so conservative estimates place the Oort clouds outer edge at 1 Light Year Liberal estimates as far as 2-3 LY

A Further discovery that the Centauri system is similar to our own allows us to theorize that the same distance applies to that system as well.

What does this mean?

It means that the journey to the nearest Star might not be empty, with a conservative estimate we would be looking at a 2 light year jump of empty space between the respective Oort clouds of each system. with a Liberal estimate the small Icy bodies that create our comets could well over lap.

If the Journey between here and A Centauri allows for stops at bodies that have Water... Hydrogen and Oxygen

We can leave Earth

If there are worlds to establish colonies on, not even habitable worlds just resources, we can start the process with only 1/10th or 1/20 the speed of light as travel speed, we Potentially can create colonies all the way across.

We keep discovering small worlds beyond Pluto Like Sedna and others, this discovery ups the likely hood that such worlds exist on the fringes of the next system as well...

So what are we looking at for this Journey?

A living colony on Mars a small Earth like world can be made there, Venus? Could we decrease the co2 end the green house affect create another Earth? In time Yes....

Further Out the Asteroid belt, mining, resources... Next Jupiter Saturn, close to 200 moons, Colonies, mines, Fueling Station, Some Moons in Time Like Europa could serve as psuedo living worlds, vast oceans would allow for colonies in which Millions could thrive, maybe many more, perhaps Sea life could flourish, Saturn, Uranus and neptune even Pluto could allow for Mines, fueling Stations small colonies... of the sort you'd see on the Moon...

Further, Worlds like Sedna could hold simple bases.... Further, Inter Planetary Craft could get fuel from small icy bodies, again hydrogen and Water

Is there a Planet X around either system? A dark Jupiter lurking? Perhaps with an Orbit that takes it within 2 LY, Scientists estimate there could be 10x as many of these bodies as there are stars, anecdotal evidence says this is a viable reality...

Do we need another Earth? No... Just a Mars, a Europa, Even a Jupiter in that system and we can...keep going eventually

This means we can island hop our way to a new continent, that the Ocean of space has islands to gather what we need along the way.

This means we aren't doomed

I have often wondered about this if there was just "Empty Space" or if it was like the vast Ocean that had to seem daunting to the first explorers but it was not impossible! Finding islands helped us colonize the entire planet! Just like before the ships got faster and faster until we reached a size and speed barrier so what do we do? Build planes! I think we are ready to start taking that next step past rocketry and human exploration.

Now if we could just keep thinking like this about space! Our first hops will be slow wrought with dangers but eventually getting us more established until finally making it to a new world! This time an actual NEW WORLD!

Fascinating! Of course once we spread through the whole ocean that is now our Milky Way maybe in a few 1,000 years (or less!) we will be ready to cross the next gulf to Andromeda and start the process all over again!
edit on 17-10-2012 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

The fact you would assume and propose what I might or might not "understand" is ridiculous.

I'm all for spending money on science but that means spending some on real, results oriented UFO research, also.

The entire scientific study of UFOs in the pursuit of answering the question of life on other planets and the ability of some of them to visit us has been to hire some people to gather witness accounts. Whoop-e-doo.

It's a controlled effort with a predetermined result. Even the best cases with the best witnesses are still labeled as "unknown" which was the entire point of limiting the research that way.

There are no observation devices dedicated to the field nor any controlled and paid for by the public, for the public, period.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by penninja

Thank you.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
What do they mean by this? "have revealed a tiny, but real, signal from a planet orbiting Alpha Centauri B every 3.2 days"
What sort of signal? Are they talking about the tiny wobbles in the motion? Or something else?

“Our observations extended over more than four years using the HARPS instrument and have revealed a tiny, but real, signal from a planet orbiting Alpha Centauri B every 3.2 days,” says Xavier Dumusque (Geneva Observatory, Switzerland and Centro de Astrofisica da Universidade do Porto, Portugal), lead author of the paper. “It’s an extraordinary discovery and it has pushed our technique to the limit!”

source
edit on 17-10-2012 by Staroth because: more cowbell

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Staroth

It means they detected the planet, the signal is how they detected it.

No alien contact yet

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Why are you so sure these are moons orbiting planets? Seems these astronomers know a star/sun when they see on. The fact that they can see these stars is on account of the light/radiation they emit. I could point you to any number of sources that state that Proxima Alpha and Beta are stars, but it sounds like you want bonded/notarized photographs. Why the extreme skepticism? I am genuinely curious.

I'll grant you that a 3-day orbit around a star slightly smaller than ours is hard to get one's head around -- that's about 30 times faster/shorter than Mercury's orbit. Obviously this Alpha Centauri planet is very close to the star.

It all began after reading a book by Bahram Katirai, "Revolution in Astronomy". An online version is available at astronomyinformation.org...
After reading that, and thinking about it for a while, I set out to find out just how all the instruments that astronomers and cosmologists use to observe the heavens work. It took about 2 years of intense research, and instrumentation is what I was trained for, so I had a head start. The science and engineering is really amazing, of that there is no doubt, but it is the interpretation of the information gathered by these instruments that is all wrong. They made the data fit their preconcieved model of the Cosmos, and haxe built error upon error, leading to a huge overestimation of the sizes and distances involved. The Cosmic Ladder distances are all achieved by some very circular logic, based on the incorrect interpretation of their instrument aquired data.
The nearest stars to us can not be seein in any detail, they, like all 'stars' can only be resolved down to one pixel in size, and to see them as we can see our own Sun would require mirrors or lenses hundreds of kilometers in diameter, so we can never see them as we see from SOHO or other instruments do. We can not see solar flares or CMEs on these Suns, which is what I would want to see to be convinced they are Suns similar to our own.
The way many of their instruments work relies on spectroscopy, not seeing thermal radiation from a hot body, but from the level of ionisation of the elements present around those bodies. The main signiture they detect is from ionised hydrogen, which has a few 'colors', depending on the ionisation level. When they see the color red from their instruments, they say it is due to thermal emissions, but it is actually a Balmer line of ionised hydrogen, and nothing to do with heat. The hydrogen could be very cold, but still be highly ionised and emit at 650nm, the wavelenght of red light. Here's a diagram of emission lines for hydrogen:

Mostly they detect emissions in the UV and EUV, but also IR wavelengths, so not of this is 'visible' light. X-ray emissions are also detected, and even Mars emits in the x-ray band, though it is not hot thermally.

Site:
chandra.harvard.edu...
That is a shortish exposure that creates a continuum, and they use long exposures of the objects out there just to get one pixel to register in their instruments. The Earth, seen from the Lunar surface glows at UV wavelenghs of ionised hydrogen, making it look like it has a bright shell around it, but obviouly our eyes can not see it, only instruments designed for those wavelenghts.
If you really want to get to the bottom of what the astronomers are up to, it is a long study, but all the information you need to come to your own conclusions is out there on the 'Net, but they don't make it easy, and some is still classified as the Military uses the tech in their space based spy satellites. 'Seek and you shall find', but the answers might shock you.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Random thought: Sometimes I think all these planets are like a test to create life but have failed, so another was made and another, until just the right one ...Earth.
Like trial and error.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I could have sworn that something like this was already released and without the big to do.

Don't get me wrong, it's great and all but I wouldn't exactly call this any kind of real disclosure.

this whole thing made it out to be some big secret, this isn't a secret... it's a discovery much like many others before it.

I could have sworn in the last year that something very similar to this had already been released.
edit on 17-10-2012 by NotAnAspie because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by penninja

The biggest problem is that most western governments are so loaded with spending programs there just isn't the money to even start an endeavor like this.

We are talking about trillions of dollars to see this through to fruition.

A few of the hyper rich have stepped up and invested in space technology, but most are too busy buying private jets and commisioning mega yachts.

So where will the money come from?

I'm excited about the announcement, but they are still guessing about a lot.
edit on 17-10-2012 by AGWskeptic because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join