It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would ATS do if one of our own was taken by federal authorities for internet posts,, while they

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Or WILL I?

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
hehe, you think you'd be able to get a post up before they got you.
how cute.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Sure I try to remind myself daily of that because doom tends to make me serious minded and that's not living a fun life of joy and happiness. Doom can be very very addicting...

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueAjah
I can't speak for ATS, but anything anyone posts online in any forum is their own responsibility, so I'm pretty sure that ATS would not have to do anything. A forum is not responsible for what the public posts on their forum. The mods on this particular forum seem to do a great job keeping on top of things and keeping things cleaned up. But they are not legally responsible for the opinions of the general public who might happen to choose their forums to post on.

The things that would probably get one arrested would have to be threats, illegal pictures (you know what I mean), or something really bad, as general opinions are covered under free speech. No one should ever post such threats. That would be really bad.

As for what "I" would do, I don't think I have ever posted anything illegal, as far as I know, so.... I'd be really confused.

ETA: Public forums are... public. Why would anyone post about illegal activities, if they have any, on-line?

edit on 10/12/12 by BlueAjah because: (no reason given)

I actually believe there is a law in the US which states the sites owners are obliged to report suspicious or terrorist behavior patterns, or they can accounted in aiding the speech being spouted. A good friend in the US told me that, I canny be bothered to go Google it though.

In regards to saying things online, I can think of 3 occasions where I should have kept my mouth shut, for legal reasons, but hey it's my own fault, I like to push the boundaries and often ignore my own advice on being Anon.

The only irksome thing I find, and this includes ATS, is the fact I signed my posting rights over to them, and I'm unable to delete past posts.. Just something I'll have to bear in mind in future tho aye?

Give it ten years and we'll be facing the real life V for Vendetta.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

404'd, doom of death page - we aren't supposed to talk about members who disappear.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

What about Dimensional Detective? He's not banned, he just disappeared.

Unfortunate death, or something more sinister??

Dun Dun Durrrrrr.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
If they were coming for you due to big mouthing on the Internet, then they most likely cut off your connection. They aren't going to let you play with your phone, or let you on the computer during the arrest

I don't think you have anything to worry about unless you say things that are considered threatening. They would be monitoring you first before arriving on your doorstep.
edit on 13-10-2012 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I don't say anything online that I wouldn't say to a cop to begin with overall. Not that I don't have dark thoughts mind you, but I just hate playing the internet tough guy to begin with. Way I see it, if I lay down a plan, it is an actual plan and the people should take me serious. I don't (ever) plan on murdering or attacking people..I will try to sway voting to a political party or whatnot, but thats about as revolutionary as I get.

The government of course is monitoring the internet, and no doubt several of the fruits and nuts on conspiracy websites. They are also trained enough to know when some lonely old man is spouting off idle nonsense verses an actual plan of attack...There are laws of course on book that allows them to stop actual plots before they occur.

Civil society must be preserved in the end. Freedom of speech does not include conspiracy to commit crimes.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX
Great motto to live by. And, I also hate "internet tough guys". I have to laugh at them. It seems people tend have very smart mouths on the internet, but when face-to-face, don't say much when confronted.

Firstly, For my current situation, ATS members would have no idea I was "missing", as my time on here is very sporadic. With such a hectic schedule, I could be on here all day one day, and not at all for three. While my friends and family would immediately know something was wrong if I hadn't called or talked to SOMEONE in my circle by 7 or 8AM.

Secondly, the ATS community would probably say "Told you so." or "You were warned." IF I ever DID do something SOMEONE wanted to question me about.
edit on 13-10-2012 by NaeBabii because: I meant motto not theory to live by.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by violet
If they were coming for you due to big mouthing on the Internet, then they most likely cut off your connection. They aren't going to let you play with your phone, or let you on the computer during the arrest

I don't think you have anything to worry about unless you say things that are considered threatening. They would be monitoring you first before arriving on your doorstep.
edit on 13-10-2012 by violet because: (no reason given)

One of the self proclaimed spokesmen for Anonymous got vanned last month aftrer making threatening statements against an FBI agent and posting them on Youtube.

Here is what it takes to cross the line...

##vid removed by staff##

Here is what happens when they come to get you...

edit on Sun Oct 14 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: source contained activism

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Your ATS post would of most likely had some content of you wanting to harm yourself or others. Your local police could pick you up & take you to your local VA hospital & than you would be under federal jurisdiction. The VA could hold you for 72 hours & than you would need to be evaluated by 2 doctors, one which is a psychiatrist.

You might be free to walk if they did not feel you were a danger to yourself or others or they could 2PC you. (2 psychiatrist commitment) & you would not be able to leave until they no longer thought you were a threat. Quite common, actually. They, the VA are your friend so listen to your doctor. Just my 2 cents worth.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by steel49

There's nothing anyone here could really do. We're not really a community here in the sense that we could band together if things got tough.

We're too scattered and too anonymous.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Drunkenparrot

I couldn't make heads or tails from either of those videos sorry.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 05:06 AM
link   
I think posting here would be pretty pointless.
If I was going to post what is happening in this fictitious scenario that the O.P is suggesting anywhere, I'd probably do it via Twitter, Facebook or even whip off a quick email to Wikileaks or cryptome (thinks that's the name, not sure exactly and don't have time to go look).

Just somewhere where the community is more proactive and involved.
We are after all, just bloggers at the end of the day.

edit on 14-10-2012 by Flighty because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by steel49
Hey all, this is my first thread I’ve started, so please be kind … Mods if this is the wrong forum, please move it.
So the whole Brandon J Raub situation got me thinking, because like Mr. Raub, I run my mouth freely on the internet about the utter crap I see our government pulling on a regular basis. Unlike Mr Raub, I am under a VA doctors care for mental issues. That makes me feel like they would be able to hold me for a very, very long time under the auspice of “safety”. It really worries me, I’m not going to lie. But I also spend allot of time lurking on ATS. If feds ever show up here, I would try to get a post up before I was taken., my question is: What would you do if you ever read such a post on here? What could we as an online community do? If you were on the receiving end of the arrest, would you try to post on here before you were taken? Thank you for your consideration.

Ok dude heres what would happen here at ATS, for real.
you would get A whole bunch of people going "no source no credibility" or "no pics or video no credibility"
then you would get an even bigger group of people side with those people if they didnt like the topic you were disclosing and or had preconcieved notions or ideals, so they would join the chorus.
Then someone would say you were trying to turn it into a antiamerican or anti jewish thread, then all the info you had disclosed would get moved to the skunk bin because of all the arguing, meanwhile you get kidnapped, but your thread has 157 flags and 87 stars then someone complains that you only uploaded all of that info chasing F's and S's, the argument rages on on four fronts. racial,political,supernatural,conspiratorial and you could be getting tortured for releasing sensitive documents.
truth is, are the feds watching? probably mainly for a laugh nowa days i feel.
The truth is out there, somewhere, not here.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by repeatoffender

Originally posted by steel49
Hey all, this is my first thread I’ve started, so please be kind … Mods if this is the wrong forum, please move it.
So the whole Brandon J Raub situation got me thinking, because like Mr. Raub, I run my mouth freely on the internet about the utter crap I see our government pulling on a regular basis. Unlike Mr Raub, I am under a VA doctors care for mental issues. That makes me feel like they would be able to hold me for a very, very long time under the auspice of “safety”. It really worries me, I’m not going to lie. But I also spend allot of time lurking on ATS. If feds ever show up here, I would try to get a post up before I was taken., my question is: What would you do if you ever read such a post on here? What could we as an online community do? If you were on the receiving end of the arrest, would you try to post on here before you were taken? Thank you for your consideration.

Ok dude heres what would happen here at ATS, for real.
you would get A whole bunch of people going "no source no credibility" or "no pics or video no credibility"
then you would get an even bigger group of people side with those people if they didnt like the topic you were disclosing and or had preconcieved notions or ideals, so they would join the chorus.
Then someone would say you were trying to turn it into a antiamerican or anti jewish thread, then all the info you had disclosed would get moved to the skunk bin because of all the arguing, meanwhile you get kidnapped, but your thread has 157 flags and 87 stars then someone complains that you only uploaded all of that info chasing F's and S's, the argument rages on on four fronts. racial,political,supernatural,conspiratorial and you could be getting tortured for releasing sensitive documents.
truth is, are the feds watching? probably mainly for a laugh nowa days i feel.
The truth is out there, somewhere, not here.

That's exactly what would happen

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join