It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Borat Is A Religiously vilifying and racist Creation...so why is it not banned?

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by chr0naut

Not valid examples at all.
I have explained why with the Mel Brooks movie, and the Charlie Chaplin movie isn't even close.

... but Jar Jar Binks mocks Jamaicans!

(or perhaps he doesn't if Gungans are actually Jamaliens).

edit on 12/10/2012 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by Krazysh0t

Wrong my man. I am not reading too far into the movie, I am looking at the guy overall and using that info to allow you guys to look at the movie in a new way.

He is a zionist that has made three movies that attack Arabs, Muslims, and Palestinians, Also he tried to create capture an exchange that would hurt a US politician when viewed by the people, a politician that was likely targeted particularly because he doesn't support giving aid to Israel or backing them against Iran. Also he has many Zionist figures on his show, such as Noam Chomsky.

When you look at it as a whole, it becomes clear there is an agenda there. I mean people say I have an agenda from a few posts, Imagine if I spent the money this guy did to point these things out. THATS an agenda.

What is the AGENDA? to say some bad things about people, it's not what his saying that is hurting you or the people listening it is your perception of words somehow doing physical damage to human beings? Yes there are such things as Marketing attacks on people and that they do brainwash political and social behavior through media, but to take that seriously and see it as a threat on a personal level, only puts you in danger of attaching one self to others beliefs, point of views, and anything that has to do with your own personal will.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by thehoneycomb

Freedom of speech is one thing. But speech with a very hateful undertone is something else, just like your post really. Does not matter if your American... Its just called manners and being kind to your fellow humans irrespective.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Expired
For those who not know of Borat.
www.movieministry.com...

Is Borat allowed to be aired because of the actors own religion?

Imagine if Borat was a depiction of an Israeli Jew.

It would never ever be aired on TV , or shown in the theatre.

The creator would be charged.

So why the double standard?

It is certainly a dangerous precedent, or perhaps not new to those who are impartial.
edit on 11-10-2012 by Dr Expired because: Title

edit on 11-10-2012 by Dr Expired because: clarifying the issue

The OP question is of a 'closed' type...leading, and without shame is an ambush in nature.

The only legitimate questions (given the obvious reverse/reverse, confused questioning) relate to standards within a context not designed to be openly (read...seriously)...contraversial...because they relate to satire...

"It is certainly a dangerous precedent, or perhaps not new to those who are impartial"...

This sentence is transparent in its message...'I am impartial'...yet the poster wishes us to believe they are...

Get a life...

A99

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by akushla99

Originally posted by Dr Expired
For those who not know of Borat.
www.movieministry.com...

Is Borat allowed to be aired because of the actors own religion?

Imagine if Borat was a depiction of an Israeli Jew.

It would never ever be aired on TV , or shown in the theatre.

The creator would be charged.

So why the double standard?

It is certainly a dangerous precedent, or perhaps not new to those who are impartial.
edit on 11-10-2012 by Dr Expired because: Title

edit on 11-10-2012 by Dr Expired because: clarifying the issue

The OP question is of a 'closed' type...leading, and without shame is an ambush in nature.

The only legitimate questions (given the obvious reverse/reverse, confused questioning) relate to standards within a context not designed to be openly (read...seriously)...contraversial...because they relate to satire...

"It is certainly a dangerous precedent, or perhaps not new to those who are impartial"...

This sentence is transparent in its message...'I am impartial'...yet the poster wishes us to believe they are...

Get a life...

A99

What a nasty snidy evil post that read as
A what is a99.?
Believe as you wish

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Borat is absolutely hysterical and was created within the confines of a nation in which free speech and expression are protected.

Borat is not filled with hate or creates a scenario where people are enganging in war as a result.

If you don't like Borat, you have thin skin and should not watch Borat.

Let us not forget, Americans.
We may not agree with everyone who produces, prints or speaks in this country, but we must always defend their right to do so.

How does banning Borat in any way make this country better? How does removing smiles make the world a better place?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by spinalremain

The easiest way to diminish an individual or a race creed or religion has been proven over time is to ridicule

To make its essence worthless pathetic erroneous.
(sorry but my comma button is not working)
Civilised (sic) Human beings only accept the destruction of that which is valueless in their minds(sic).

What is going on in that region of the world is not civilised...but Borat is coarse anti Semitic (a Nazi?) homosexual leaning..... a pervert..... American baiter...but above that pathetically funny...an object of mirth.

Why? this requires intelligence and knowledge..just why?

That is why ...you will never know.....but its not hard if you try to know...the deal between corruption of the former USSR and ......mmm for oil and gas for mmmm?

You think Cohen got on the British airwaves then the worldwide airwaves by accident?

Dumb animals led by the amusement of their own minds fed by experts of the dumb minds.

Oh of course its about the laughs..the smiles...the jokes on you.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Same reason southpark can make fun of canadians... Because its funny

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by spinalremain
Borat is absolutely hysterical and was created within the confines of a nation in which free speech and expression are protected.

Borat is not filled with hate or creates a scenario where people are enganging in war as a result.

If you don't like Borat, you have thin skin and should not watch Borat.

Let us not forget, Americans.
We may not agree with everyone who produces, prints or speaks in this country, but we must always defend their right to do so.

How does banning Borat in any way make this country better? How does removing smiles make the world a better place?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Borat can make me smile..yes just as a Dwarf being thrown down a bowling lane by a whooping redneck good old boy can make good comedy.
The point is we should respect each other.
We may like to ridicule other cultures but we have to be reasonable about it.
Some people espescially kids are victims of racism and stay stum ....making racism funny perhaps to confused people and espescially kids may somehow legitimise their bullying if the foreigner in a small town for instance.

Racism in all forms should be made a taboo because of respect for all people.
Not just Jews Christians...but for all.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Expired

Borat can make me smile..yes just as a Dwarf being thrown down a bowling lane by a whooping redneck good old boy can make good comedy.
Some people espescially kids are victims of racism and stay stum ....making racism funny perhaps to confused people and espescially kids may somehow legitimise their bullying if the foreigner in a small town for instance.

Are you implying that "Borat" reflects the actual geographical location, lifestyle, customs and beliefs of Kazakhstan?

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001

Are you implying that "Borat" reflects the actual geographical location, lifestyle, customs and beliefs of Kazakhstan?

You have to understand perhaps...(comma button U/s) that Borat is not just the recent movie"the character existed on Cohens comedy sketch /interview show
Kazakhstan was regularly mentioned and the sexual deviances of his countrymen were regularly mentioned.
So I am not sure what point you are making.
Ask yourself why is Borat the character (not just the movie) a creation of a character from this region.
Then witha bit of research you may ask yourself if a right wing Jewish comedian should have the right to ridicule this nation.
If it was a right wing christian ridiculing Israel in such a coarse and belittling manner would it be allowed?
Many many shows are banned before broadcast some for racism.
So those pulling out the freedom of speech card should look into this look how Mel Gibson was knobbled after daring to release his movie on Jesus Christ.
Race religiuos vilification guidelines should apply to everyone ...period.
And Cohen should know from History that the belittling of a creed/race/religion leads to tyrants feeding off the open ridicule and can lead to genocide.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001

You have to understand perhaps...(comma button U/s) that Borat is not just the recent movie"the character existed on Cohens comedy sketch /interview show
Kazakhstan was regularly mentioned and the sexual deviances of his countrymen were regularly mentioned.
So I am not sure what point you are making.
Ask yourself why is Borat the character (not just the movie) a creation of a character from this region.
Then witha bit of research you may ask yourself if a right wing Jewish comedian should have the right to ridicule this nation.
If it was a right wing christian ridiculing Israel in such a coarse and belittling manner would it be allowed?
Many many shows are banned before broadcast some for racism.
So those pulling out the freedom of speech card should look into this look how Mel Gibson was knobbled after daring to release his movie on Jesus Christ.
Race religiuos vilification guidelines should apply to everyone ...period.
And Cohen should know from History that the belittling of a creed/race/religion leads to tyrants feeding off the open ridicule and can lead to genocide.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   

So what you're saying is that Kazakhstan is a verdant agricultural area populated by Slavs who worship the hawk?

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
It's because the majority of people dont buy into religion anymore. It's become a joke. I dont care anyway -- ahhahahaha its a fairy tale.

I grew out of my imaginary friends

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

I can see the point you are trying to make... but yes some people espescially young people develop perceptions of a particular creed/race/religion by the output of the media.

I have clearly stated that I believe that laws should apply to all and protect all.
Many of the contributors/trolls replying to this thread choose to ignore the central crux of this thread.
Choosing to attack the OP selectively choosing single sentences to belittle the real issue.
Do you not agree that all should be protected by racial/religious vilification laws?

That is the point of this thread.
To show how l those who cry for anti semitic anti homesexual literature/movies/tv shows ect to be banned yet those same people condone a right wing Jewish media figure dressing up in a character that offends so many of that nation.
In the end it is about equality for all under law.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   

To show how l those who cry for anti semitic anti homesexual literature/movies/tv shows ect to be banned yet those same people condone a right wing Jewish media figure dressing up in a character that offends so many of that nation.

First of all, I don't think there are too many real Kazakhs who found the film offensive. I'm sure they could see that the characterization of "Kazakhstan" was based more upon Slavic/Romanian/Hungarian stereotypes than Central Asian ones. Baron-Cohen no doubt settled on Kazakhstan as a locale because so few British and Americans know anything about its history and culture beyond it having formerly been in the Soviet Union. It might have been more tactful if he had invented a country like "Trans-Slovenia," but then he wouldn't be able to fool innocent people into thinking the place was real.

As for "anti-semitic" and "anti-gay" humor, you will find that most members of minority groups tend to have a sense of humor about themselves and popular stereotypes about them. Jack Benny, a Jewish-American comedian, made a career out of being a cheap and stingy man. Paul Lynde, gone but not forgotten, camped it up as "Uncle Arthur" on the TV series "Bewitched." Where the humor goes sour is when the stereotypes are used to inflame hatred or fear. Jack Benny's "Your money or your life!",,, "I'm thinking, I'm thinking..." was funny. Der Ewige Jude was not. Borat is most certainly not Der Ewige Jude!

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Borat is most certainly not Der Ewige Jude!

No but neither is he honest...only those aware of such things realise they are watching a right wing monetarily supported pro Israeli Jewish zionist portaying a nations character via a comedic role.

A nation that has vast amounts of natural resources.

Lets dig a little and see where all those resources may be going.

But thats denying ignorance perhaps a little too deeply.

Anyways its all good.

I guess if Cohen was a muslim kaghstanithere wouldn't be anything to bring up like you say there are minority comedians who make fun of their background but not too many who make fun of another minority...I think thats why vilification laws were introduced.
So as already stated all we need to do is apply these laws to all races and in defense of all races.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   

So i take this to mean you are not from the US? We have nothing like "vilification laws".

I find it sad that words hurt people so bad that they have to shout them down.

BTW, I have yet to see a comedian that doesn't make part of their show about race, and race matters. If I had a nickel for every time I saw some black comedian dancing like a white dude..

...Ralphie May has made millions poking fun at black people and their stereotypes.

Jeff Dunham...."SILENCE!!!! I KEEEL YOU!!!!!"

You seem to have had an epiphany. It is now time to admit that the epiphany was in error.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

You are correct Iam not a citizen of the U.S.A....in Australia they have quite expansive laws prohibiting the denegration of any race/religion on a public medium.
In Australia if a person overhears another person calling someone a derrogatory race related word they can report that person to the police.
In Britain the laws are even tougher.
So that is my point
Cohen seems to be immune to the laws of the nation he lives in.

He is British as far as I know though he also has Israeli citizenship?

Even if no laws exist surely morally he is wrong to demean another race/religion.
I would bet apound to a penny that if he was a christian he would hve been shutdown from the start.
once you exclude some from the race/vilification laws then that law resembles an ass.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   

if you are horrified by Cohen, you should watch some of the Chappelle Show episodes.

Or maybe just a clip of Ralphie May. His "Cooba Divers" bit is hilarious.

Making fun of our differences is not so bad. It is what we do personally, at least in this area. It helps us get used to each other, to bridge the gap. A beer, a laugh, and a few stories....that is how you get to know a "foreigner".

Too bad your nation had to pass laws to steal that from you. It is part of your human heritage.

ETA: it should not be the words, but the intent Is it intended to be hurtful? Or humorous? Can the person laughing at you also accept laughing at themselves? Sharing in the comedic relief?

words mean nothing. Intent is all that matters.
edit on 1-11-2012 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join