It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Borat Is A Religiously vilifying and racist Creation...so why is it not banned?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by XaniMatriX

Again, naive if you think Ron Paul agreed to what he was subjected to. It was wrong, and there was an agenda behind it. You don't pull a cheap shot like that and try to set up a scandal to hurt a politician, especially one of the only decent ones. No one has addressed why he chose Ron Paul, but I suspect I am right in my reasoning. He was hoping Ron Paul would assault him or call him a "fa**ot" or something that would hurt him. He did say something to the effect of "he tried to get queer on me" or something, but eh, he's an old man, the guy deserved a punch in the face.

Of course he wasn't trying to increase his fame! LOL you just said don't believe everything you see/hear. He could have just as easily tried to make him look like a good guy if he wanted to "increase his fame" SBC is opposed to Ron Paul's politics, that is fact.
edit on 11-10-2012 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by jeantherapy

LOL.. You really think continuing the media perpetuated stereotypes that all Muslims or Arabs are terrorists is the most relevant comedy? "Terrorists" have been around forever you know.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Dr Strangelove is A RACIST MOVEI OMG!
'But the prejudices are abundant when it comes to the enemy, especially the Russians. Ripper states "Your Commie has no regard for human life, not even his own," and Turgidson admonishes "I'm beginning to smell a big fat Commie rat," and later refers to them as "a bunch of ignorant peons." Other enemies are referenced as well. Turgidson, upon learning Dr. Strangelove's original German name, passes it off as "...a Kraut by any other name."

Captain Lionel Mandrake, General Ripper's (British) Executive Officer, when speaking of his imprisonment and torture by the Japanese during World War II, explains:

"I don't think they wanted me to talk, actually; it was just their way of having a bit of fun, the swines. The strange thing is they make such bloody good cameras." On another level, Ripper enlists Mandrake's help in firing back at the Army's advances by saying, "In the name of Her Majesty and the Continental Congress, help me with this (ammo) belt, Mandrake...the Redcoats are coming." While Ripper was referencing Red Communists and not British soldiers, the anachronism illustrates the absurdity of name calling and the temporal nature of who is an ally or enemy.'

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Are you doing a goofy imitation of how you think black people talk, and doing some stereotypical action? How does one "dress up as a black person?"

Again I will ask you to answer my question if I dress up like a black man, cover myself in boot polish and do black stereotypical action.. Does that make me a racist.. I think not. I think you are an over sensitive Caucasian man.. get over it. Enjoying and celebrating the things we have in common as people and the differences we have as people.

If Borat is racist in anyway it simply because it highlights the racism that exists in society. Cohan is simply a catalyst in that he is not the cause.. The only racism I saw in Borat was that from the reaction of the American people....

Really I think you are missing the point this is clever satire..... How many Arabs have come on here harping this is racism... Not many would be my guess..... Its ok to be white too you know...! He is portraying our perception of a stereotypical Arab. If that is racist it is because our perception of the Arab is racist. Sometimes the truth hurts and it is meant too...

Cohan is British humour. I think there are cultural difference here and you are missing the satirical nature of it. The UK is far more racially integrated than the US. If this was deemed racist in the UK it would not have been released. Why dont you go and check to see how many people in the UK filed racist reports against this film...
edit on 11-10-2012 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow

LOL.. You really think continuing the media perpetuated stereotypes that all Muslims or Arabs are terrorists is the most relevant comedy? "Terrorists" have been around forever you know.

I said it is relevant because the fear of terrorists is almost like a national epidemic, at least that's what the media and your government would like you to believe. And yes, I know about the different terrorists, some have even been called Pharaoh, King, President, and Pope.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Well you 're the one with your panties in a wad over it. What do you plan on doing about it. Other than rant and put down everyone who replies in your thread, you don't agree with. Viable question. What do you plan on doing about it...

Des

edit on 11-10-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

I think you don't know me at all. I am not over sensitive, I wouldn't give it a thought if it wasn't a topic. You are coming to a topic where something is being discussed and call me over sensitive because I address something at the EXACT right time and place to do so. Do you see how ignorant that is?

It is not over sensitive in the least. I don't fret over it at night, it is just very apparent that he is racist and if we didn't live in a culture where you can get away with saying some racist blanket statement about Muslims or Arabs without anyone speaking up it wouldn't fly. The evidence is there, the precedence is there.

I am not missing the satirical nature, it's so shallow a toddler could grasp it. That is not what I am talking about. You apparently aren't getting it, and I can't make you. Maybe you should go read one of the one million articles about it by people, not all of which are stupid, and try to gain some insight.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

First off, this isn't my thread.
Second, I am arguing my opinion. Nothing more.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   

What do the "muslims and Arabs" have to say about this guy's comedy? I heard they got worked up over a cartoon. What must they think of this most despicable Baron Cohen?

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Again, naive if you think Ron Paul agreed to what he was subjected to. It was wrong, and there was an agenda behind it. .

Ron Paul is a grown man, he handled himself just fine.

There's no such thing as a decent politician. Not even Ron Paul, whos loyal, vocal, and some might say obsessed following is frankly inexplicable.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Again, naive if you think Ron Paul agreed to what he was subjected to. It was wrong, and there was an agenda behind it. You don't pull a cheap shot like that and try to set up a scandal to hurt a politician, especially one of the only decent ones. No one has addressed why he chose Ron Paul, but I suspect I am right in my reasoning. He was hoping Ron Paul would assault him or call him a "fa**ot" or something that would hurt him. He did say something to the effect of "he tried to get queer on me" or something, but eh, he's an old man, the guy deserved a punch in the face.

Of course he wasn't trying to increase his fame! LOL you just said don't believe everything you see/hear. He could have just as easily tried to make him look like a good guy if he wanted to "increase his fame" SBC is opposed to Ron Paul's politics, that is fact.

Just watch the movie then, you are making your own assumptions as to why he would choose Ron Paul, the premise of the movie was that he would go to America to become a famous actor and other goofy stuff. His whole idea to inviting Ron Paul was that he would sleep with a celebrity or someone well known in order to receive media attention, (like the Paris Hilton video as one example) he was trying to imitate.

There is no Agenda, he was making fun of how Hollywood works and functions, that is it. Was Ron Paul even crucified for being in that movie? did it hurt his campaign at all?

Just think about what your saying. FOX news and other media outlets do a lot more damage to people like Ron Paul then the character Bruno or Borat could have ever dream of achieving, it was not a political movie, it is just a COMEDY, that is it, why is it so hard to understand that, and you didn't answer my Arnold question? Should Arnold's movies be banned to? Bruce Willis? Jackie Chan? they do kill and hurt a lot of people in those movies, i am surprised people find homicide and murder okay in movies, but as soon as you bring in a political party into it, all the walls seem to come down.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Monger

obsessed? you ever see a republican or democratic rally? you'd be hard pressed to see more fanatical behavior than that. seriously, rooting for Romney or Obama vocally like you're rooting on a sports team? These guys are villains. Reminds me also of the insane way people react to musicians and actors, like the truly inexplicable reaction to the Beatles by teenage girls in the US. John Lennon was a married man, too!
edit on 11-10-2012 by jeantherapy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Leave Ali G aka Sacha Baron Cohen alone. His mother is Israeli and his father is British. I Loved his show, not so much his movies. Borat was hilarious on the TV show! In the movie Brüno he even dresses like a gay rabbi and almost gets his ass kicked be some zionists rabbi jews!

Give him a break.. He plays in the same ballpark as southpark. Its called comedy! Chill

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Finally something we agree on in this thread.

Really enjoyed and got a little angered over your Police stop and searches in NY thread which is an issue worth discussing as I realized we are arguing about Borat.

You might think Im a fan, good to see you can think for yourself no matter how wrong you may be._javascript:icon('
')

Honestly at first when watching Borat it did seem questionable with its motives, I havent seem Bruno or the Dictator so I cant really comment, But I stick to my opinion that he is out to show the issues with society instead of adding to them, even though it seems to have, just by our debates on this thread.

Cheers for your time

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Mea Culpa...apology extended. I thought it was your thread. I was wrong.

Des

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Expired

Have you ever watched South Park?
They make fun of jews all the time.

In fact they make fun of all religions.
And the shows been on the air forever.
Go watch a few seasons.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Jeeze you can't make a joke about anything anymore. It wasn't even that offensive at all in relative terms when considering other comedy creations. I don't recall any anti-muslim joes as well, apart from the Americans saying he looked like one because of his tash and the chanting about killing people in Iraq etc (a blatant joke exposing how racist some of those attending the rodeo were)

If you truly are not racist you should be able to joke about race as it is not something that you take seriously. My friends who are from the far east and who are black share this view with me and make fun of me calling me 'wide eye' and other similar silly jokes. When a mate called one of my friends 'foreign Jon' (a nickname he has had for years) in front of a policeman he was threatened with arrest until Jon actually informed the policeman that it was his actual name.

If you are really over racism and are 100% not racist then it should be something that you can joke about with others who have the same opinion, but it's a tricky issue as many people still exist who say these things maliciously and therefore it is hard to distinguish sometimes what is a joke and what is a joke that has something more hateful behind it. Borat however is obvious satire and it's blatantly not meant to be a real depiction of anyone, he simply had to choose a real country to make the character believable. IF you can not realise that it is all in good fun and not racist then you must be one of those people who goes around looking fror things to complain about and be offended about on behalf of other people.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Borat is hilarious and like all satire highlights the absurdity of extreme political correctness. I consider those people who do not understand satire to be some of the most dangerous people on the planet who would deprive us all of the freedom of speech in the name of political correctness.

Did you know that bigots (of all colours and religions) rely on the extreme politically correct "to defend their rights" in order to achieve their bigotted aims.......quite ironic really.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Monger

Seth isn't Jewish, but his writers are. I'm not in agreement with the OP but I just wanted to point that out.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Parody.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join