It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Borat Is A Religiously vilifying and racist Creation...so why is it not banned?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   
For those who not know of Borat.
www.movieministry.com...

Is Borat allowed to be aired because of the actors own religion?

Imagine if Borat was a depiction of an Israeli Jew.

It would never ever be aired on TV , or shown in the theatre.

The creator would be charged.

So why the double standard?

It is certainly a dangerous precedent, or perhaps not new to those who are impartial.
edit on 11-10-2012 by Dr Expired because: Title

edit on 11-10-2012 by Dr Expired because: clarifying the issue

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Expired

What about ....the Zohan.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by OccamAssassin

What about ....the Zohan.

Dont mess with that guy.

+23 more 
posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Charged with what? where do you want to start censoring?

Its called free speech here in America, and even it was hateful it would still be covered under satire.

Go preach censorship somewhere else.

You may not like what it says, but here in America where the movie was produced we allow people to express themselves freely.
edit on 11-10-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   
It's too stupid to be banned.Seriously.one of the most moronic movies I've ever seen.Not worth watching so no need to ban it.I'm an idiot and even I can see that.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

Its called free speech here in America, and even it was hateful it would still be covered under satire.

You may not like what it says, but here in America where the movie was produced we allow people to express themselves freely.

So are you seriously saying if the butt of the whole Borat creation was demonstrably an Israeli Jew it would allowed to be aired across the world?
Iam talking about equality.
The double standard is dangerous, in Nazi Germany, in Maosist China in Stalins USSR ...some were allowed to kill others by the millions with impunity.
Such is selective application of the law

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Racist against who, exactly? Is Kazakh a race? I get that they'd be butthurt about it, but it's humour. Borat was a hilarious movie.

The film DOES take aim, more than once, at Jews. But the whole thing, I feel, is all in good fun. I can understand why some of the folks depicted or really anybody with Kazakh heritage may not feel that way, but that doesn't make it any less true.

Why on earth would you suggest it would be legislated against, or should be?

But of course! It's permitted because Mr. Baron Cohen is a JEW!

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Expired

Originally posted by benrl

So are you seriously saying if the butt of the whole Borat creation was demonstrably an Israeli Jew it would allowed to be aired across the world?

Are you seriously suggesting that it wouldn't be? There's plenty of media out there that takes humorous jabs at the Jewish faith.

What you're talking about is an assumed lack of equality where there is none. You're starting off with the premise that for some reason, the film would be legislated against if the Borat character were himself a Jew and basing your entire argument off of that absurd notion.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Monger

To be honest, it seemed like it was making fun of Americans first and foremost because they didn't even realize it was satire...

Two of the University of South Carolina fraternity brothers who appeared in the film, Justin Seay and Christopher Rotunda, sued the producers, claiming defamation.[79][80][81] The suit by Seay and Rotunda was dismissed in February 2007.[80] The students also had sought an injunction to prevent the DVD release of the film, which was denied.[79][80][81][82]

Baltimore resident Michael Psenicska sought more than $100,000 in damages from Baron Cohen, 20th Century Fox and other parties. Psenicska, a high school mathematics teacher who also owns a driving school, was reportedly paid $500 in cash to give Baron Cohen's bogus Kazakh journalist a driving lesson. In his action, filed in the U.S. District Court in Manhattan, the driving instructor said he had been told the film was a "documentary about the integration of foreign people into the American way of life" and had he known the film's true nature, he said, he would have never participated.

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 11-10-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   
One of my best friends thought it was hilarious and made me watch it.I still think it was stupid.You're over thinking it.It's old now, anywayz.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Monger

The race depicted by the Borat character are an actual race and an actual nation.
They are depicted in the Movie and the TV series originating from Britain of all places(high muslim population)) as homosexuals , anti semites and rapists, amongst other things.
It is funny in parts, just like people smile when thay see dwarfs thrown in bowling alleys, that doesn't make it ethical or even lawful.
There must have been a flood of complaints by Islamic peoples, yet for some reason it was kept on th eairwaves and is making Cohen a vault full of cash.
Money from exploiting racism for laughs.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Monger

Name one mainstream movie or TV show in the west that regularly ridicules Israeli Jews via a fictional character creation.

I will wait forever, prove me wrong.

+8 more 
posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   

reply to post by Monger

Name one mainstream movie or TV show in the west that regularly ridicules Israeli Jews via a fictional character creation.

Family Guy
Seinfeld
South Park
-

I'd say south park gets the most credit there, but pretty much any show that stereotypes them for being cheap...

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   

It's funny how that only when it comes to the muslim religion it's sympathizers somehow think they are above freedom of speech. We have freedom of speech in America, not sharia law.

It's about equality?

If the entire world was treated equally we'd all work in sweat shops and beg for food.

Theres a thing called hierarchy, it exists on every level in nature. You would think that muslims would understand that.

-infidel

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   

How about

The Life of Brian
History of the World Part One

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

They are all Jewish creations ie the creators are Jewish.
And Israeli Jews are not main theme of the show.
Also Borat is not just about this latest movie, the more disturbing racism was regularly and is regularly repeated on the Cohen comedy half hour show.
Where he regularly had borat featured.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

reply to post by Monger

Family Guy
Seinfeld
South Park
-

I'd say south park gets the most credit there, but pretty much any show that stereotypes them for being cheap...

This. I was just going to say South Park, but here are several more examples. No need to 'wait forever'. Oh, the hyperbole.

Also, Kazakh is not a distinct race by anybody's definition. Kazakhstan is a country, that's not a secret, and a culture, but not a race, therefore it's a misnomer to call Borat racist against them. It's also factually wrong, as Borat is satire, which you don't seem to understand.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Josephus

Were the creators Muslim?
They were most assuredly not?
That is the whole point of this thread.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Monger

Originally posted by boncho

reply to post by Monger

Family Guy
Seinfeld
South Park
-

This. I was just going to say South Park, but here are several more examples. No need to 'wait forever'. Oh, the hyperbole.

Also, Kazakh is not a distinct race by anybody's definition. Kazakhstan is a country, that's not a secret, and a culture, but not a race, therefore it's a misnomer to call Borat racist against them. It's also factually wrong, as Borat is satire, which you don't seem to understand.

Nazi Germany was big on satire, very big.
Satire is used by all sorts of people, and not only for intellectual reasons.
Its often a forerunner to action.
I do understand satire, but thanks for the judgement of my intelligence.

You entirely miss the point.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   

reply to post by boncho

They are all Jewish creations ie the creators are Jewish.
And Israeli Jews are not main theme of the show.
Also Borat is not just about this latest movie, the more disturbing racism was regularly and is regularly repeated on the Cohen comedy half hour show.
Where he regularly had borat featured.

So in your mind, on the planet where satirical commentary about Jews, or more specifically Israeli Jews, is illegal worldwide, Jews themselves are permitted to take jabs at themselves?

Seth MacFarlane, the creator of Family Guy, is neither Jewish nor Israeli. So your argument falls flat on its face. Also, I could be wrong, but citing the Life of Brian, I'm fairly certain that Monty Python aren't Jewish.

And, contrary to your core argument, neither has ever been legislated against.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join