It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Borat Is A Religiously vilifying and racist Creation...so why is it not banned?

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

Not valid examples at all.
I have explained why with the Mel Brooks movie, and the Charlie Chaplin movie isn't even close.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

My god, what don't people get about movies?

Forget about trying to use logic here.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by yorkshirelad

I consider people that can't see through satire as an excuse to perpetuate a stereotype and make racist statements dangerous. We all understand it's satire. Look a little closer. Things can have more than one depth you know.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Expired
For those who not know of Borat.
www.movieministry.com...

Is Borat allowed to be aired because of the actors own religion?

Imagine if Borat was a depiction of an Israeli Jew.

It would never ever be aired on TV , or shown in the theatre.

The creator would be charged.

So why the double standard?

It is certainly a dangerous precedent, or perhaps not new to those who are impartial.
edit on 11-10-2012 by Dr Expired because: Title

edit on 11-10-2012 by Dr Expired because: clarifying the issue

Ahh that reminds me i still need to watch "The Dictator"

Sacha baron cohen is a one of a kind comedian! And also, its partly the job of comedians to say/do taboo things well before they become more socially acceptable to talk about.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
The great thing about America is that you can pick and choose exactly what you want to watch. If you are offended by something or don't care for it, don't watch it. I believe strongly in free speech, and if you start censoring comedy movies, you open up a whole big can of worms. Censorship solves nothing. I don't want a bunch of corporate big wigs telling me what I can and can't watch. I'm a responsible human being capable of making my own choices. People should never give up freedom of speech because it might possibly offend somebody. A comedian's job is pretty much to offend everybody and make the situation more lighthearted. It's not like a hate video slamming Islam or anything like that. It's a comedy movie.
edit on 11-10-2012 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Expired

I do hope this has been brought up already but you do know Sacha Baron Cohen is Jewish and mother is an Israeli?

You do know that right? So of course his perception is gonna be slightly biased.

Btw, I love Borat and Sasha does great work, although his latest movie just wasn't good.
edit on 11-10-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by VaterOrlaag

Not just talking about his movies although they aren't regular movies, they are mockumentaries, they exploit real people (such as the Palestinian he pretends is a terrorist and makes a big dramatic "escape" from - who in real life is a Palestinian shop keep that later sued him). The guy is in fact a Zionist and no one considers maybe he is a little serious when he is hating on Palestinians, Arabs and Muslims in his films?

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

What's taboo about making fun of Muslims and dressing up in brown face as a dictator or terrorist? It's been run in the ground here in the US since nine eleven. It's relegated to dumb halloween costume decision now.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow

What's taboo about making fun of Muslims and dressing up in brown face as a dictator or terrorist? It's been run in the ground here in the US since nine eleven. It's relegated to dumb halloween costume decision now.

Has it been tastefully done by americans though? No, its been done in spite and its just not as funny as this guy. Yeah, achmed the dead terrorist got a good run but the comedian (what was his name?) was merely using the average american's own sense of superiority of others to score laughs - Hardly counts as being skilled in the art of making people laugh.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   

I guess. I like clever humor though, not exploiting idiots and listening to racist jokes.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I think Cohen is doing the same thing 'All In The Family' did. He's reaching into the dark areas of the human psyche and pulling out those concepts we don't like to take ownership of. He then spreads them out at our feet in front of us and says 'look! this is what you are. deal with it!'. You can't change anti-social behavior if you won't admit to it.
edit on 11-10-2012 by baboogdi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

That and Cartman is always raggin on Kyle for being a Jew. If not for South Park I would have never known all Jews kept Jew gold on their persons at all times

edit on 11-10-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Monger

Originally posted by boncho

reply to post by Monger

Name one mainstream movie or TV show in the west that regularly ridicules Israeli Jews via a fictional character creation.

I will wait forever, prove me wrong.

Family Guy
Seinfeld
South Park
-

I'd say south park gets the most credit there, but pretty much any show that stereotypes them for being cheap...

This. I was just going to say South Park, but here are several more examples. No need to 'wait forever'. Oh, the hyperbole.

Also, Kazakh is not a distinct race by anybody's definition. Kazakhstan is a country, that's not a secret, and a culture, but not a race, therefore it's a misnomer to call Borat racist against them. It's also factually wrong, as Borat is satire, which you don't seem to understand.

The people of Kazakhstan are certainly a distinct race in their own right.The Kazakh race originated with the Mongol conquerors of Asia,and they are very proud of this heritage,they are a race with distinct charactaristics as compared to their near neighbours in Uzbekistan,Kyrgistan and Turkmenistan.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Talk about a high horse

This thread is so funny but pointless. One of the big things i notice here in the states when i moved here was that not to many people got satire.
The reason i think this thread is pointless is because obviously he has agenda, but who doesn't?There are so many shows that make fun of jews and christains do they all have a muslim agenda? OP you really have just made wild assumptions here. You think just because he is Jewish went to a Israeli school when he was younger means that he has a agenda(which i don't think you've fully explained what you believe that is).
If there was a real agenda other then making money. We would of had heard about mass riots or killings when it was released. So if the people who just riot over a picture of some guy in newspaper don't for the movie. Then i got ask why the hell are you being so stubborn. whats YOUR agenda?
edit on 11-10-2012 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Have you ever seen a British film called 'Four Lions' its made by British Muslims with a sense of humour, I really recommend it, its hilarious! This film features normal 'muslim' people with wives, girlfriends, jobs and personal problems. They all hate Jews and are fighting the system.

However, in satire, they portray themselves as.....wait for it....terrorists and all set out to become suicide bombers in the middle of London! What is their agenda???

One of the best films I have ever seen

Don't know how to embed the video but here is a link to the trailer:

www.youtube.com...

Enjoy

Here is another hilarious scene from the movie:

www.youtube.com...

edit on 12/10/12 by Hongkongphooey because: Add content

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Shouldn't this topic be confined to the bowels of BTS then?

It's a MOVIE, a MOCK-umentary, not a documentary.

Just turn it off if it bothers you so much.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 04:14 AM
link   

You really need to get out more mate.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Borat is a piece of satire, the only consequential offence caused stems from human ignorance. E.g. Khazaks are misrepresented, but anyone willing to do their homework will understand how far the character is from the mark. Another example - Cohen mocks Jews to mock the ignorance of blind anti-semites.

We'd be living in a very miserable world if all satirical and 'offensive' material was completely banned. Sorry, no stars today pal.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Censorship is for control freaks who want to hide truth
what truth dont you like OP? What is it he says you dont like?

is it what he says about israel?

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

Charged with what? where do you want to start censoring?

Its called free speech here in America, and even it was hateful it would still be covered under satire.

Go preach censorship somewhere else.

You may not like what it says, but here in America where the movie was produced we allow people to express themselves freely.
edit on 11-10-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

So are you seriously saying if the butt of the whole Borat creation was demonstrably an Israeli Jew it would allowed to be aired across the world?
Iam talking about equality.
The double standard is dangerous, in Nazi Germany, in Maosist China in Stalins USSR ...some were allowed to kill others by the millions with impunity.
Such is selective application of the law

yes we ALL know who is doing the killing

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join