It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video surfaces of SEN. Obama telling black audience slow Katrina aid was racism

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
www.hulu.com...

I don't know how to embed hulu, but John stewart did a great job blowing this out of the water.

oh and if you refuse to watch anything John Stewart related, it includes a video of bush using the SAME EXACT language that is being used to say obama was being racially charged.
edit on 4-10-2012 by mahatche because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
reply to post by LeatherNLace

When white people do hillbilly accents it isn't racist...but if Obama does a country accent it's racist. Amazing hypocrisy.

It is racist and to me, calling me a Hillbilly is just as bad as if I was black and was called the N-word. Mrs Clinton was being racist with her stupid fake accent. I think mostly Mr Romney was Just making a joke with his "Mornin' Y'all" because he then went back to his normal way of speaking, not that I support him, because I do not. However, If President Obama, or any politician, came to my town and threw on a fake accent, I'd be offended.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by dave_welch

Originally posted by RealSpoke
reply to post by LeatherNLace

When white people do hillbilly accents it isn't racist...but if Obama does a country accent it's racist. Amazing hypocrisy.

It is racist and to me, calling me a Hillbilly is just as bad as if I was black and was called the N-word. Mrs Clinton was being racist with her stupid fake accent. I think mostly Mr Romney was Just making a joke with his "Mornin' Y'all" because he then went back to his normal way of speaking, not that I support him, because I do not. However, If President Obama, or any politician, came to my town and threw on a fake accent, I'd be offended.

I'm Hispanic, every single election year in the history of my life, politicians from both parties have given speeches to latino voters, and said their token phrase in Spanish to pander. I understand that it's pandering, and to an extent it bothers me, but never to the point that I treat it like a major issue, because I know that it's what politicians do.

You could find pictures of Obama and Romney both wearing yamakas, neither of them are jewish, it's just typical politician pandering.

When Politicians speak to farmers they drive up in pick up trucks, and wear cowboy hats before doing a photo op on a tractor.

Politicians have pandered this way for as long as politics has existed. It's corny and i personally hate it, but it's nothing new or news worthy.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Obama is no racist. To be a racist he would have to have loyalty and belief one way or the other. He is an opportunist, a tumbleweed. He has affiliated with various groups, many of a more extreme nature. Some have been racially inclined. Some have been politically inclined. Many have overlapped.

None of it is something he believes in so much as it is expedient. Very few of your elected officials have real beliefs. They capitalize opportunities for votes. Those speeches are not them pleading their case, it is them making a pitch. "BUY ME!"

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Every time I hear the conservatives spout off about "saving the middle class" I remember this video.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I tend to think the situation was not responded to the same as if little white kids and families were stuck in the stadium. I wouldn't go as far as calling it racism, but would characterize it as a cultural disconnect with leaders in our government.
edit on 4-10-2012 by ExPostFacto because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by dave_welch

It is racist and to me, calling me a Hillbilly is just as bad as if I was black and was called the N-word.

No, it is not bad as calling an African American the n word. Any Hillbillies ever get bought, sold, and beaten like animals in the not so distant past? Read Frederick Douglass and get some perspective.

edit on 10/4/2012 by yadda333 because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/4/2012 by yadda333 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by mahatche
www.hulu.com...

I don't know how to embed hulu, but John stewart did a great job blowing this out of the water.

oh and if you refuse to watch anything John Stewart related, it includes a video of bush using the SAME EXACT language that is being used to say obama was being racially charged.

I clicked on this thread to point out this very episode. It's a sad state of affairs when comedians are the only ones with a memory and telling us the truth

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix

The people of New Orleans have a city built in a bowl that is lower than sea level; next to the ocean; and in an area that gets hit by major hurricanes. They want the rest of the country to completely rebuild that every time it gets nailed? That's insane.

I take offense to your attitude. ... It's your attitude that's Insane.

I don't care if you, or anyone else, takes offense with my attitude. I spoke the truth. The entire country shouldn't have to pay for that kind of absurdity. Just like the entire country shouldn't have to pay for the clean up thats coming in the future from the absurdity of building a nuclear reactor in California, on the water, that can only stand up to a 7.0 earthquake and cant' deal with tidal waves. We all know that California is going to get rocked by something bigger at some point.

It's insane.

You consider recovery aid for a natural disaster from the government absurd?

Do you think recovery aid from an earthquake absurd too?

What about the government helping people who were effected by the PB oil spill?

What about recovery aid for New York when the world trade centers got destroyed on 911?

What if a terrorist hit the White House with a big bomb or even tactical nuke?

What if a terrorist hit your house with a bomb?

What if a tornado hit your house?

Is there anyone for any reason in the USA you could approve aid for? What is your criteria?

Look at this disaster map of the USA. There is not one state that is not effected by some disaster at some time. Not on this map but did you know half the country is under a disaster area for drought right now? Again, you think aid for people in disaster prone areas is silly because people are too stupid to live in such areas - you'd have to move the entire USA, including YOUR state.

usatoday30.usatoday.com...

edit on 4-10-2012 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Lived through Katrina. What Katrina proved was that the creation of a permanent dependent class is the worst thing you can do. And after the storm, ANYONE who wanted to work absolutely could. There was far more work to go around than there were bodies to perform it (and collect really good money bc of the demand). If some people, regardless of their race, made the choice to take handouts and complain rather than rebuild on one's own and work hard, it is their own damn fault.
ZERO sympathy.
What Katrina showed is that the welfare state must end and that folks need the freedom to be self reliant, even if it means they choose to fail.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   

In 2007 - Sen. Obama, who was born in Hawaii and raised overseas, put on his best fake southern USA black accent, stood in front of a crowd of black folks, and pandered ... strongly insinuating that the governments response to Katrina was racist. Obama completely ignored the incompetence of ("chocolate city") Mayor Nagin and the fact that Democrat gov. of Louisianna, Kathleen Blanco, rejected federal aid until it was too late. Sen. Obama just continued his pandering ...

Perhaps Obama, who was deeply tied to the Black Liberation Theology group in Chicago , was just echoing the racist rhetoric he had submerged himself in for 20 years. Perhaps Obama actually believed what he was pumping out. Or perhaps it was just what it looks like ... Obama, with a fake accent, pandering.

This is one more story to add to the growing field of 'discovered' or 'uncovered' potentially damning videos and speeches made by both candidates. Honestly, there have been enough damning 'newly discovered' old stuff on both Romney and Obama to sink both of them. And yet ... they continue the power march forward. Geeeze America .. can't we do better than Obama or Romney?? UGH.

Video surfaces of Obama in 2007 suggesting racism slowed aid to post-Katrina New Orleans

In June 2007, then-Sen. Barack Obama told a mostly black audience of ministers that the country's leaders "don't care about" New Orleans residents, suggesting the city was neglected in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina because of institutional racism, according to an unedited video uncovered by The Daily Caller.

In the address, delivered during the upswing of the Democratic presidential primary season, candidate Obama specifically criticizes in outspoken terms the decision not to waive a federal law known as the Stafford Act that requires communities hit by disasters to match 10 percent of federal aid..

But the facts are ..

By January 2007, nearly a year and a half after Hurricane Katrina hit, the federal government had committed $110 billion to relief efforts in areas hit by Katrina through a variety of programs, including Community Development Block Grants, funding for the Corps of Engineers and Small Business Administration loans, according to a report that May by the U.S. Department of Commerce’s Economic and Statistics Administration

The people of New Orleans have a city built in a bowl that is lower than sea level; next to the ocean; and in an area that gets hit by major hurricanes. They want the rest of the country to completely rebuild that every time it gets nailed? That's insane.

Other links to go along with this story -
Obama - accent change we can believe in
Katrina Death Statistics by race and gender
Disaster preparedness - most people who died in Katrina were elderly
More Whites Died Per Capita Than Blacks in Katrina

edit on 10/3/2012 by FlyersFan because: fixed spelling in title

If you build and maintain an adequate levee system you wouldn't have to EVER rebuild New Orleans itself.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by PvtHudson
How is this an different than a KKK grand dragon telling his followers that black people are out to get them? Its

It's true?

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Whats the difference between pandering and a show of respect? How do we tell?

How do we resolve the difference between respect and mockery?
edit on 5-10-2012 by MuonSpin because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Wow...there clearly is a difference in the manner that he is delivering this speech. It's almost like a completely different person. To me it really shows how fake our politicians are and how their speeches are more or less a staged act.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by pierregustavetoutant
Lived through Katrina. What Katrina proved was that the creation of a permanent dependent class is the worst thing you can do. And after the storm, ANYONE who wanted to work absolutely could. There was far more work to go around than there were bodies to perform it (and collect really good money bc of the demand). If some people, regardless of their race, made the choice to take handouts and complain rather than rebuild on one's own and work hard, it is their own damn fault.
ZERO sympathy.
What Katrina showed is that the welfare state must end and that folks need the freedom to be self reliant, even if it means they choose to fail.

Enlightening perspective!! Studying Katrina and its aftermath is quite interesting when you compare how a large percentage of New Orleans residents dealt with it vs. those in all of the other areas that were hit just as hard by that storm. You could also compare New Orleans to a wide variety of towns that literally get wiped away by tornadoes. Granted N. O. is larger but one thing is clear, the dependents in N.O. literally froze in their tracks before the storm even struck. They assumed "someone" was going to take care of them and continued with that notion afterward.

In other areas hit by Katrina or in communities leveled by Tornadoes or even other hurricanes along the East Coast the communities actually rally and join together. Neighbors help neighbors, businesses help their neighbors and local communities reach out without ever being asked to do so. They rebuild and recover under their own will to succeed and thrive. What a difference...

Most damage in N.O. was caused by flooding a common occurrence in many areas I know along the Missouri River and those cities always seem to be ok afterward without the need for a national call for political and civil outrage. No wasted energy on playing the blame game. Just energy spent on recovering and moving on only to prepare for the next potential flood....

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Since when is telling the truth a crime?

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Thats really not a surprise, Katrina was handled in the worst way, I don't think any of Obamas comments aren't any different then what we all felt about how Katrina was handled--- in the worst possible way imagined!

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
Enlightening perspective!! Studying Katrina and its aftermath is quite interesting when you compare how a large percentage of New Orleans residents dealt with it vs. those in all of the other areas that were hit just as hard by that storm.

Which 'other areas' do you refer to?
What is your definition of a 'large percentage?'

You could also compare New Orleans to a wide variety of towns that literally get wiped away by tornadoes.

You could compare New Orleans to a lot of towns for infinite reasons.
You could also GO THERE and learn why that's kind of a silly idea...comparing New Orleans to other towns.
You could call it a 'field trip' in the interest of your 'study' of Katrina and her aftermath!
Be sure and actually talk to some people who call NOLA home.

Granted N. O. is larger but one thing is clear, the dependents in N.O. literally froze in their tracks before the storm even struck. They assumed "someone" was going to take care of them and continued with that notion afterward.

Who are the 'dependents' in NOLA?
Oh! You mean the people who were UNABLE TO AFFORD to evacuate themselves and their valuables at such a late hour?
And many of whom were also UNABLE TO AFFORD to prepare for a storm in the ideal fashion recommended by those that call themselves 'experts' on such things?

I think your assumptions are a bit...um...presumptive.
I am thinking that most people ASSUMED the levees would hold up...I know, I know...silly thought...but, still...isn't that the assumption that the whole population of NOLA more or less had lived under all along?

I am also pretty sure that most people ASSUMED that being stranded on the roof of their own totally submerged family home would elicit some sort of PROMPT rescue...in sufficient numbers of adequately supplied and prepared character such as the US Government has been known to dispatch both to other devastating acts of nature as well as social unrest and sometimes even just regular old DISSENSION. Of course, the preparedness measures differ in each case...sometimes you need a life raft and sometimes you need tear gas...but I digress.

Too bad, though, that our country's reserves of that kind of help...not to mention the actual funding that is held for THAT PURPOSE...were being squandered and otherwise diverted across the ocean in the 'war on terrorism.'

Meanwhile, citizens of NOLA were DEPENDENT on help they are entitled to (YES! entitled!) BY LAW...assumed they would be taken care of. Not because they are dependent or because they are any different than you or I or anyone else...but simply because they are AMERICAN citizens.

In other areas hit by Katrina or in communities leveled by Tornadoes or even other hurricanes along the East Coast the communities actually rally and join together. Neighbors help neighbors, businesses help their neighbors and local communities reach out without ever being asked to do so. They rebuild and recover under their own will to succeed and thrive. What a difference...

Like I said...you really ought to actually visit New Orleans.
I can't wait to go back, myself.
I had never been there before Katrina, so I don't know how it was before she hit...but the sense of community in NOLA now is amazing...no where else I have ever been has even been close to it.

Most damage in N.O. was caused by flooding a common occurrence in many areas I know along the Missouri River and those cities always seem to be ok afterward without the need for a national call for political and civil outrage. No wasted energy on playing the blame game. Just energy spent on recovering and moving on only to prepare for the next potential flood....

Storm surges in hurricanes are not 'common occurrence' floods. They do not happen along the Missouri River like they do along the Gulf Coast...it is the ocean violently invading the land...it is an assault...but unlike floods, most of the time storm surges come in, wreak havoc...and leave...like very small tsunamis. Katrina's surges came in and did not leave. This in no way was a common or expected occurrence and it was not handled in a way that anyone should consider acceptable at all...the idea that the sense of injustice and abandonment felt by the people waiting on their roofs or in the Superdome or even in dry quarters of family, friends, or motels, in nearby areas was 'playing the blame game' is an appalling misconception that I can only assume is based upon a preference of 'studying' situations over empathizing or even just attempting to understand people in those situations.

I hate to make assumptions but your post is full of them, so I figured...eh...why not?
I assume you understand I mean nothing personal by pointing out your...um...erroneous assumptions.
I just know different and I know not from study but from going to see for myself. I really learned A LOT.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by MuonSpin

Whats the difference between pandering and a show of respect? How do we tell?

How do we resolve the difference between respect and mockery?

The ability to discern anything of this nature comes only through experience...and NO, I don't mean that we should mock each other in order to know what mockery is, compared to respect.

What I am saying is that so many people these days just mock others out of some kind of emotionally driven cued response and simultaneously decline, increasingly, to show anyone else respect for ANY reason, deserved or offered in good faith in advance...and therefore, a good portion of our number these days perceives it ALL as mockery.

By not exercising respect in one's own life, one becomes unable to recognize respect in others.
It's the same principle that underlies the fact that the more people lie...the more they believe everyone else is lying and lose their ability to recognize truth.

And I'm not directing any of that at you, personally, at all...just answering your question because it is a good one!

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by MrPlow

I did, too! I thank mahatche for posting it. I trust Jon Stewart's comedy genius more than any other source of 'news' these days...Rolling Stone is also becoming a trusted source for me...I get a lot of flack for that, too.

However, since I exercise my right and ability to do my own fact-finding research...and actually enjoy thinking for myself...I know my trust is well-placed. I just lack the pizazz Jon Stewart possesses in delivering actual facts, spin-free, combined with biting but inoffensive entertaining sarcasm and irony. He's fricking hilarious!

His best bit lately, imo, was the show following the release of the Romney fundraising video!

www.huffingtonpost.com...

He's going to rip a hole in Bill O'Reilly's butt tonight...or at least I am expecting that he will. I can't wait to see it.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join