It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm struggling with Humility. How do we hold to our virtues in this day and age?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

Yes thank you I will.
Phoenix is my favorite X-Men character that I would want to be, but I love Wolverine more.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by obnoxiouschick
reply to post by windword

I defined humility from a dictionary. The very definition is circular.
I'm struggling with the duality.
You choose another term a bit of a harsh one but so be it.
Hypocrisy
Yes in trying to do what I think is right (not just what others tell me to do) there will be times when we are all hypocrites. Has there never been a time in your life when your actions conflicted with your beliefs.
That is the very core of the struggle.
The duality in living life, experiencing what we do yet holding to beliefs.
So yes there have been times that my behavior would be deemed hypocritical. And I've learned lessons for those times I should've followed my beliefs instead of : passing judgement, felt jealous, given into anger, and spoke out in my prideful manner.
So you can keep calling all Christians hypocrites. If that is their truth, then it is their struggle. It means we are all human, we all make mistakes.

First of all, my post here: www.abovetopsecret.com... was not directed to you, but to the poster whom I quoted, who whispered sweet nothings in your ear and promptly encouraged you to join a following in his "street corner preacher" threads, instead of continuing to contribute to yours.

Certainly, I have dealt with things that conflicted with the convictions of my beliefs as opposed to religious dogma. You can literally justify anything through biblical scripture, and, some people will find scripture to back up their hypocrisy rather than addressing it.

As for humility, I accept your comparison of someone mocking or feeling superior to a handicap person. Your husband matured, experienced more life in the 15 years that passed and he learned more of his own vulnerability, mortality, giving him an appreciation for his health and compassion for those less fortunate.

I could be wrong, but I don't recall ever reading in the Bible where Jesus called for his followers to be meek and humble, and I could show you many times where Jesus displayed the opposite traits.

When dealing with the evils of the world and the suppression of governments and "church," in my (humble) opinion, their cry for meek and humble submission should be called out for what it is, an attempt to shame and silence the resistance and cull blind obedience. Your conflict arises, in my opinion, from your true feelings and what "they" have projected that you should feel.

There is no humility in the weak and huddled masses, but should they rise up, they would be a force to be reckoned with! This is why sheeple are continually preached at about the virtue of humility and meekness. TPTB are scared of your true power, that Jesus intended to awaken, not suppress.

edit on 27-9-2012 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by stupid girl

Yeah, okay, whatever. This thread and my posts were not about you. I'm not interested in your preconceived notions of my bitterness toward Christianity or your attempt to disparage my character like a cheap gossip. Disagreements that you and I have had, in a previous thread about aliens, demons, and out of body experience, shouldn't be carried over to a completely different thread and subject.

I stand behind my posts in this thread, and if you have a question or problem with anything I posted, please feel free to address it.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   

reply to post by abeverage

Yes thank you I will.
Phoenix is my favorite X-Men character that I would want to be, but I love Wolverine more.

Now you are just teasing! You are married and being obnoxious...

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by windword
I could be wrong, but I don't recall ever reading in the Bible where Jesus called for his followers to be meek and humble, and I could show you many times where Jesus displayed the opposite traits.

When dealing with the evils of the world and the suppression of governments and "church," in my (humble) opinion, their cry for meek and humble submission should be called out for what it is, an attempt to shame and silence the resistance and cull blind obedience. Your conflict arises, in my opinion, from your true feelings and what "they" have projected that you should feel.

There is no humility in the weak and huddled masses, but should they rise up, they would be a force to be reckoned with! This is why sheeple are continually preached at about the virtue of humility and meekness. TPTB are scared of your true power, that Jesus intended to awaken, not suppress.

edit on 27-9-2012 by windword because: (no reason given)

Honestly I have always had difficulty reading and processing the bible. I read a lot of books, but something about the bible makes it all sorta jumbled. Lately it takes longer for me to muddle through my own thoughts just to figure things out.
I had a good 10 yrs or so that I spent researching other philosophies. I didn't go to church because I didn't think it was necessary to still believe in Christ. It wasn't til I had a little miracle hit my life that I started going back.
I think I worked out most of it, and I can thank you for expressing you views which allowed me to sort through mine.
Humble before God, since I am a servant of God.
And when I feel weakened by the way the world operates I will ask God for strength.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by obnoxiouschick

I was up above it
Now I'm down in it
I was up above it
Now I'm down in it

I used to be so big and strong
I used to know my right from wrong
I used to never be afraid
I used to be somebody

I'll cross my heart and hope to die.
But the needle's already in my eye.
And all the world's weight is on my back
And I don't even know why.
What I used to think was me
Is just a faded memory.
I looked her right in the eye
And said "goodbye."

And I'm still walking away, dying to that alter ego who is now contrary to my true nature, which is the eternal soul.
The epic battle between temporal flesh and infinite spirit rages on.

As far as humility, it seems that we each have a slightly different take on what that encompasses?
To me, humility is putting others before yourself and more specifically, conceding to someone even though you know that they will see it as weakness, rather than strength.
To me, it is also what it takes to love your enemies and those that hate you.
To do good no matter what--even when you'd rather just say "kiss my ass" and especially when your effort to do good gets thrown back at you in disgust.
To me, humility is loving your neighbor when they act especially unloveable.
And I think that God gives us an "A" for effort, in this regard, so to speak.

Having said that, I do not believe that we should, nor does God expect us to, simply be the world's doormat.
Humility is one thing, but being a gutless pansy-ass is quite another.
To me, humility takes backbone and great resolve.
Humility takes big, brass balls and epic strength in character, and that ain't no jive.

I've mellowed out considerably over the years, but I was a very rebellious X-Generation product-- anti-establishment, anti-pop culture, etc. If there was a way around me having to do something just because someone said I had to, I was leather-bent on finding my way around it.
An indomitable spirit is a good and desirable thing, as long as the spirit behind it is striving towards things that will be a blessing to mankind, versus things that will ultimately end up being a curse.

Personally, I don't believe what I define as humbleness has anything to do with vaccinations, flouride or Monsanto.
These are examples of when it's appropriate to rise up against something infringing on your basic rights as a human being. Even God respects our free will to make our own choices for ourselves, yet mankind simply tries to dominate each other.
So, IMHO, all those "kiss my ass"es that we've bit our tongue and saved up for another day---- those examples would be that day.

Thus I think vaccinations should be our choice. So, depending on what state you live in, use the opt-out forms. I did that for certain vaccinations that are useless.
Not much you can do about fluoridated water, unless you have well water. Even though we actually do have well-water, I still buy bottled and gallons of spring water for our drinking water. I've always bought spring water for our drinking water, even before we moved out here & started using well water.

I'd also like to go to the market and not have to decipher which produce was altered by Monsanto. That is a total pain in my ass and makes my shopping take 3 times as long because I feel like I'm gonna kill my kid if I don't read and inspect every ingredient label because I'm a total freak like that. But I still buy mac & cheese. Not even the organic kind. Our bodies are much more resilient than we realize & I've come to strive for balance versus perfection.

The pendulum has been swinging towards the immoral, materialistic, greedy, self serving individuals since Eve decided to get her snack-on from the wrong tree.
And like having a baby, it will get worse, the pain more intense, the waves of shock closer together, then just when you think that you can absolutely not take anything else or you will surely die right there on the spot...and death is actually beginning to look like a pretty desirable alternative....that very moment topples over into an oasis of ultimate release and indescribable joy. A feeling of wholeness, accomplishment and relief all at the same time.

We have much to look forward to, but we still have the darkest to work through before we get to the dawn.

Vaya Con Dios, my Sister

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by stupid girl

And I'm still walking away, dying to that alter ego who is now contrary to my true nature, which is the eternal soul.
The epic battle between temporal flesh and infinite spirit rages on.

As far as humility, it seems that we each have a slightly different take on what that encompasses?
To me, humility is putting others before yourself and more specifically, conceding to someone even though you know that they will see it as weakness, rather than strength.
To me, it is also what it takes to love your enemies and those that hate you.
To do good no matter what--even when you'd rather just say "kiss my ass" and especially when your effort to do good gets thrown back at you in disgust.
To me, humility is loving your neighbor when they act especially unloveable.
And I think that God gives us an "A" for effort, in this regard, so to speak.

Having said that, I do not believe that we should, nor does God expect us to, simply be the world's doormat.
Humility is one thing, but being a gutless pansy-ass is quite another.
To me, humility takes backbone and great resolve.
Humility takes big, brass balls and epic strength in character, and that ain't no jive.

I've mellowed out considerably over the years, but I was a very rebellious X-Generation product-- anti-establishment, anti-pop culture, etc. If there was a way around me having to do something just because someone said I had to, I was leather-bent on finding my way around it.
An indomitable spirit is a good and desirable thing, as long as the spirit behind it is striving towards things that will be a blessing to mankind, versus things that will ultimately end up being a curse.

Personally, I don't believe what I define as humbleness has anything to do with vaccinations, flouride or Monsanto.
These are examples of when it's appropriate to rise up against something infringing on your basic rights as a human being. Even God respects our free will to make our own choices for ourselves, yet mankind simply tries to dominate each other.
So, IMHO, all those "kiss my ass"es that we've bit our tongue and saved up for another day---- those examples would be that day.

Thus I think vaccinations should be our choice. So, depending on what state you live in, use the opt-out forms. I did that for certain vaccinations that are useless.
Not much you can do about fluoridated water, unless you have well water. Even though we actually do have well-water, I still buy bottled and gallons of spring water for our drinking water. I've always bought spring water for our drinking water, even before we moved out here & started using well water.

I'd also like to go to the market and not have to decipher which produce was altered by Monsanto. That is a total pain in my ass and makes my shopping take 3 times as long because I feel like I'm gonna kill my kid if I don't read and inspect every ingredient label because I'm a total freak like that. But I still buy mac & cheese. Not even the organic kind. Our bodies are much more resilient than we realize & I've come to strive for balance versus perfection.

The pendulum has been swinging towards the immoral, materialistic, greedy, self serving individuals since Eve decided to get her snack-on from the wrong tree.
And like having a baby, it will get worse, the pain more intense, the waves of shock closer together, then just when you think that you can absolutely not take anything else or you will surely die right there on the spot...and death is actually beginning to look like a pretty desirable alternative....that very moment topples over into an oasis of ultimate release and indescribable joy. A feeling of wholeness, accomplishment and relief all at the same time.

We have much to look forward to, but we still have the darkest to work through before we get to the dawn.

Vaya Con Dios, my Sister

I like that. It is really well written.
I think I had been a bit jumbled in my approach to the whole thing.
I might not shave my head anymore or walk around in combat boots, but there is still a bit of a rebel punk in me that wants to lash out at injustices.
I look for ways to cope, to understand.
And the best part is discussing all this stuff and passing around more information.
Change will come ....someday.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Humility - the quality or condition of being humble
Humble - 1) marked by meekness or modesty 2)showing submissive respect
Meek - 1) patient and humble 2) submissive

I always felt that my greatest strength was standing by basic truths.
Honesty Integrity Faithful and following my love for God.
But in this time in history it seems there are more and more evils about. Our awareness of it probably makes it feel more abundant now. Since information and ideas pass quickly now that we have the internet. We have our lives controlled by some very evil people.
All the big corporations are run by horrible CEOs.
Greed Envy Lust Anger running rampant.

So I'm struggling to understand.
struggling to live the way I want to live
How can one be humble when the government enrages us.
Submissive ? meek? I submit in faith and prayer.
Is it supposed to be humble to God only.
Because if one is true at heart and humble to God they would also present a humble attitude towards others.
That could be difficult.
As is feeling love for your enemies.
Really, have you tried doing this.
It's really hard to do.
It seems more and more that negative forces invade our lives and make it harder to hold to a faith. Any faith be it Christian, Buddhist, or any other.

I am dealing with an illness. I am physically very weak and am a shadow of my former self.
I can understand why people go through questioning God when they are sick.
But I don't want to question God, I'm not losing faith. I understand my illness is from circumstances and I am not blaming God. I believe everything happens for a reason. I just want to feel like I am doing the best I can. To hold to faith even when I feel trapped by society, government, etc.

Does this make sense to anyone else?
or am I just nonsense babbling.

Yes you are nonsensically babbling, but I can understand the babbling because I still speak that language to this day!

So I'm struggling to understand.
struggling to live the way I want to live
How can one be humble when the government enrages us.
Submissive ? meek? I submit in faith and prayer.
Is it supposed to be humble to God only.
Because if one is true at heart and humble to God they would also present a humble attitude towards others.
That could be difficult.
As is feeling love for your enemies.
Really, have you tried doing this.
It's really hard to do.
It seems more and more that negative forces invade our lives and make it harder to hold to a faith. Any faith be it Christian, Buddhist, or any other.

How can one be humble when the government enrages us?

Did Jesus not pay taxes to Cesar? Cesar's role in humanity was important and Jesus knew that.

How can one be humble... Easy. Love your enemy. It's easy to love your enemies once we understand that we all come from Father, but its hard in hindsight. When all is said and done, you will be laughing at yourself. But, it's a refining process in my opinion. In my opinion, we are like diamonds; we start off as a simple carbon molecule, but throughout time and some pressure, we will eventually become beautiful and everlasting.

Everything that is happening is happening according to time. When time happens, specific events have their specific period to act within. Is not mankind's soul trying to get back to Heaven, our home? It's a beautiful realization.

WE struggle every single day between conventional reality and unconventional reality.

A lot are living in the dark, conventional reality, because conventional reality tells us that we should strike back or defend ourselves when being struck, but once you live in the unconventional reality, where you let your enemies do their ways with you and in metaphorical speak, give your robber water if he thirsts, you will be putting hot coals on his head (purification process for the enemy.)
edit on 29-9-2012 by DelayedChristmas because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by DelayedChristmas

Thank you for you input.
I do appreciate it.
It seems lately it takes longer for me to process my thoughts and that's probably why my writing comes out the way it does.
I agree with the duality of conventional vs unconventional reality that you presented. It seems we are supposed to go through this conflicted process. It just makes us stronger.

I think part of the reason I fixated on Humility was because of my Dad. He said at least 100 times to me growing up. "You need to learn some Humility" Yes he was an overbearing abusive person. He thought I showed signs of being like him arrogant and proud. I think he saw me reflect those qualities back at him..... he was the one who needed a lesson in humility.
So yes I now understand why I had a mental block stuck on that one thing.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Ah, I tend to think that whenever people say something demeaning about one's personality, it is because people, the accusers, see a reflected characteristic of themselves that they don't like magnified in that person, the object of the accusations, and because the ego does not appreciate that, it tends to deflect and project its insecurities on that person.

It's a pretty ironic process and I see it taking place almost every time there is an altercation among people.

For instance, today I was playing a basketball game on the PS3, 2k11. I was talking trash, the competitive nature of games always get the worst of me, and I said that my friend sucked and all he does is complain about my tendencies to let the computer play defense for me until the moment comes for an optimum play on defense. The reality is that I was insecure of my ability to play, and I was trying to break his confidence down so that we can be on the same playing field.

Writing this response to you kind of hurts me; the truth usually hurts the ego. And the worst part of it is that I am knowledgeable of this process, but yet I am still guilty of it.

You're alright obnoxiousgirl, keep on keeping on.
edit on 29-9-2012 by DelayedChristmas because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by DelayedChristmas

Do not compete and there will be no competition.

Why not just enjoy the game for what it is? I know how you feel, it really sucks when people are saying garbage like "I can be you!" or "I can do this!" and trying to rub it in your face if you lose. I don't respond to comments like that any more when I play with people. It hurts at first but after a while it just sounds like "blah blah" and you don't care - you are just playing for FUN. And because of that you can never be disappointed. So it has a benefit to it as well...

Humility is putting yourself below others. It may sound bad at first but it really does come with a reward. You help others and you don't brag. You become unnoticed and you stay in FREEDOM, but around others you treat them with the highest respect.

Meanwhile, others will brag, brag, brag, and feel the pain and embarrassment when they finally lose in front of everyone (it hurts ego), or they will "show off" and then feel "guilty" afterward. And every second you have to be aware because the "Spot Light" is on you, since you were showing off, trying to be the best, or causing a scene.

Humility stops all of this, the ego is protected, there is peace, and while you put yourself below others helping everyone without bragging - and because you put yourself below others you will become unnoticed and will gain SOOO much time for freedom and to do whatever you want...

If you don't feel like doing something, you can always say something like...

"I'll probably take care of that later..."

or

"Oh, I don't know..."

edit on 3-10-2012 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join