It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm struggling with Humility. How do we hold to our virtues in this day and age?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Humility - the quality or condition of being humble
Humble - 1) marked by meekness or modesty 2)showing submissive respect
Meek - 1) patient and humble 2) submissive

I always felt that my greatest strength was standing by basic truths.
Honesty Integrity Faithful and following my love for God.
But in this time in history it seems there are more and more evils about. Our awareness of it probably makes it feel more abundant now. Since information and ideas pass quickly now that we have the internet. We have our lives controlled by some very evil people.
All the big corporations are run by horrible CEOs.
Greed Envy Lust Anger running rampant.

So I'm struggling to understand.
struggling to live the way I want to live
How can one be humble when the government enrages us.
Submissive ? meek? I submit in faith and prayer.
Is it supposed to be humble to God only.
Because if one is true at heart and humble to God they would also present a humble attitude towards others.
That could be difficult.
As is feeling love for your enemies.
Really, have you tried doing this.
It's really hard to do.
It seems more and more that negative forces invade our lives and make it harder to hold to a faith. Any faith be it Christian, Buddhist, or any other.

I am dealing with an illness. I am physically very weak and am a shadow of my former self.
I can understand why people go through questioning God when they are sick.
But I don't want to question God, I'm not losing faith. I understand my illness is from circumstances and I am not blaming God. I believe everything happens for a reason. I just want to feel like I am doing the best I can. To hold to faith even when I feel trapped by society, government, etc.

Does this make sense to anyone else?
or am I just nonsense babbling.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by obnoxiouschick

How do we hold to our virtues in this day and age?

Speaking for myself, I understand this world is temporary and just a test.

Those who make trouble for the meek.... do not understand this truth.

Dessert will be served.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

I agree with you but how do you get through day to day.
I live in the present, I can't just shrug off today because I know of what's to come.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I know exactly how you feel...

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Humility - the quality or condition of being humble
Humble - 1) marked by meekness or modesty 2)showing submissive respect
Meek - 1) patient and humble 2) submissive

Humility - the lack of self esteem
Humble - the lack of self determinism
Meek - the lack of self assertion

These are the qualities of a good slave or servant. Fine if you're interested in being tossed to and fro during your life, with no sense of control and allowing yourself to believe that every twist and turn to be some sort of will of "God."

Turning the other cheek and offering robbers the shirt off your back will only make you sore and cold. The real world doesn't work that way. But, "they" are hoping that you play by the rules taught to you in your religion, and, that you don't notice that they don't.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

So what do you do?
How does one cope?

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by windword

Ok
Thanks for your input.

I forgot this point
we too easily fall from excessive Pride and self righteousness .... and that is when you are supposed to kneel.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

There is no real/true humility without having accomplished something to be proud of first....

There is such thing a being truly humble of you didn't have a sense of self worth.

Meekness is the temperance of strength.

edit on 26-9-2012 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   

s&f for you for bringing the subject up.
humility, humbleness and meekness are some of the most wonderful qualities of humankind, whether they be people of faith or not. this is the struggle and challenge of the people today, and i believe that if you strive toward this then you are doing the right thing. people may disagree, but what kind of people disagree? in my opinion, those who do are the ones perpetuating the misery the world is experiencing and profiting from it. but, my friend, they will only profit in this world.
believing in God, i assume you believe there is a greater plan for humankind than what we see at the surface or than what we can imagine due to the limitations of the flesh.
being a christian (i'm assuming here), one of the greatest tenets is FAITH. plain and simple. if you have faith, you have a complete trust in God. you do not fear evil, or even harm to yourself, because you (should) believe that whatever happens, it is God's will. even with the concept of free-will, there is also the concept of predestination. so then, in my opinion, the greatest way to prove you have true faith in God, you submit to his will and therefore accept what comes with gratitude, humility, humbleness, and meekness.
yes, this world is crazy and it is easy to become angry or fed up- especially in seeing the hard-heartedness of the people these days. it's very very sad, the state of the world we live in. but still, if you have true faith in God, and believe Jesus to be the example of what a christian should strive to emulate, then you will persevere with patience and love and kindness. Jesus did not get angry, he knew God has a plan. He treated everyone, especially his enemies, with kindness and patience. things might not make sense at the surface, and it might get hard to watch all the horrible things happening right before our eyes, but we are commanded to be christ-like throughout all hardships and adversity, and doing so brings blessings... not just to you, but to those you touch and to those who have eyes to see you. just keep praying, and remember God knows best, and there is definitely a reason for everything. do what you can to help those around you and to be a good example. that's my view on the subject, and is only my opinion. i can't really tell you what to do, but you seem to have a good head on your shoulders and i believe that with prayer and thoughtful contemplation you will find the answers you seek.
God Bless and Peace be upon You.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by obnoxiouschick

So what do you do?
How does one cope?

Honestly some days I don't know...

I feel like a I am running on vapors most of the time.

It is really hard for me with the way we have all become so materialistic. And how it is hard for me to remember things that are special to me.There is always something to appreciate, something to love, the hard part is finding and stayin attuned to it!

I found Meditation and Yoga a few years back. They help when I am consistent in going, but I tend to slack on these things. I do try to stay in a moment when I have no pain, no mental fog and cherish each second of it! I also try to step outside of my perspective see how I am with others and how I should be and re-center myself accordingly.

I don’t want to complain more but sometimes it is just shear will alone that keeps me going. And for some reason that is enough.
edit on 26-9-2012 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by couldbeanyone

Thank you
That was very helpful.
Yes I am Christian and not because I just follow how I was raised. I questioned and looked at others but you can't shake it once you find God dwells within you. I also attend church. Mostly because I feel more centered and focused when I attend. And my church is very uplifting not preachy.

And I have personally felt God's love and it is something one can not describe.

The duality in this life is painful.
Almost like we wouldn't appreciate heaven if we didn't suffer through this hell on earth.
What I think is really strange is that what I know as a TRUTH that there is God even though we don't see him, what we do see is lack of God.
We see evils all around. These are our tests. And as I know myself my weakness lies in Anger, I know I am prone to having a quick temper. Then I fall back on an asset Patience. I've learned to wait instead of react emotionally. But it is still there I'm just more careful now.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Honestly some days I don't know...

I feel like a I am running on vapors most of the time.

It is really hard for me with the way we have all become so materialistic. And how it is hard for me to remember things that are special to me.There is always something to appreciate, something to love, the hard part is finding and stayin attuned to it!

I found Meditation and Yoga a few years back. They help when I am consistent in going, but I tend to slack on these things. I do try to stay in a moment when I have no pain, no mental fog and cherish each second of it! I also try to step outside of my perspective see how I am with others and how I should be and re-center myself accordingly.

I don’t want to complain more but sometimes it is just shear will alone that keeps me going. And for some reason that is enough.

Yes thank you so much.
I was really into working out when I wasn't sick. It helped alot. I do some meditation.
And I completed understand it is just WILL about the only thing that keeps my chin up.
Thank you very helpful.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

you're most welcome!

Almost like we wouldn't appreciate heaven if we didn't suffer through this hell on earth.

precisely. like the saying, it is better to have loved and lost... than to never have loved at all.
and i will add that we can never know the full meaning if we can't see the full picture. we're coming at this life and this world from one perspective, ours. we're missing out on a lot of perspective, therefore we cannot know the meaning of anything. i'd like to fill in the blanks of this existence by seeing how trees percieve the world, squirrels, clouds, the ocean, birds, lions, etc. etc. etc...... along with every single other person who has ever existed. with out their perspectives we will never see the full picture. it's like trying to watch a movie using only one pixel from a 1080hdtv! (bad example, i know)
but once you feel that love of god, you get a taste and that is enough to have the faith to continue on.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Yes thank you so much.
I was really into working out when I wasn't sick. It helped alot. I do some meditation.
And I completed understand it is just WILL about the only thing that keeps my chin up.
Thank you very helpful.

I was working out too.
I have had several restarts over the past couple of years. Sounds like you need one, start slow and easy but keep moving! I find when I don't even mentally I am worse off then if I took a nice little walk. I start with the walks, then more often or twice a day, then back to a Gym. It is not easy with a sedative job either, but I am starting again.

Sorry this got off target with Humility but as the saying goes a Healthy body, Healthy mind...

And stop being so obnoxious...

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

we're missing out on a lot of perspective, therefore we cannot know the meaning of anything. i'd like to fill in the blanks of this existence by seeing how trees percieve the world, squirrels, clouds, the ocean, birds, lions, etc. etc. etc...... along with every single other person who has ever existed.

Yes I would also think that would a wonderful experience.
I recently read the book "Mutant Message Down Under"
And they perceived all of that. They were in tune with water and animals and were even telepathic. But that level they were very true at heart. No hiding someones intentions when u could read their thoughts.
That same concept is carried in "The Final Quest" a prophetic work about messages received. That in heaven the thoughts of others could be "heard" so there is only truth in ones heart.
I don't think "new agers" have it wrong when they say we are all connected. It is a matter of perception.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

It's not that far off.
You agreed with me and i asked about coping.
Living life is difficult sometimes. I'm just struggling.
Small baby steps for now, my energy level is low. Plus I chase around my 15 month old baby all day. That's probably why I feel scattered and then think about what the world will be like for my children.

I have a side of me that is quite obnoxious. In a funny sorta sarcastic way.
Probably has to do with the fact that I think outside the box. I view things differently than most. Or that's been said to me by a few people. Other's usually just say I'm a "female dog"
That's usually when they disagree with me or are mad I didn't bend to their will.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Peace to you dear woman seeking Truth.

The best way to stay away from pride is to have contrition for your faults and sins. Compare yourself to Jesus Who is faultless and put all your trust into His infinite mercy. ask Jesus to increase in you humility, love, and all other virtues.

Remember always this thought: God loves everyone else just as much as He loves you. And if this is so, you will understand that it is vicious toward yourself and others, who know less than you do, to judge them.

Pity your enemies with a sorrowful love.

" mercy triumphs over judgement"

peace to you again good woman, there is a lot of good information in my threads created about virtue and spiritual life.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

I have a side of me that is quite obnoxious. In a funny sorta sarcastic way.
Probably has to do with the fact that I think outside the box. I view things differently than most. Or that's been said to me by a few people. Other's usually just say I'm a "female dog"
That's usually when they disagree with me or are mad I didn't bend to their will.

Me too except for the female dog part...and it was a joke so I hope you took it that way and be as obnoxious as you need!

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by backcase

peace to you again good woman, there is a lot of good information in my threads created about virtue and spiritual life.

Hypocrites (450-339 BC) ) was an influential Greek philosopher of the fifth century B.C. and the founder of the Hypocritical school of philosophy. He was most famous for devoting his entire life to preaching a philosophy of the virtues of honesty, humility, sobriety and chastity, while at the same time practicing the virtues of deceit, arrogance, lechery and dishonesty.

Hypocrites on Humility
One of Hypocrites' most famous teachings was the teaching of humility. It was said many times that Hypocrites was the humblest man in existence, indeed, the humblest man who had ever walked the earth. This was mainly said by Hypocrites himself, as he endlessly traversed the ancient world, preaching about the value of humility and of how he stood as a shining example of humility to inspire the "wretched, disease-ridden masses", as he denoted the common man.

Such are many of the preachers who claim to "know" the ins and outs of "virtue." Like some ATS "street corner preachers," they are also hypocrites, following their leader, Hypocrites.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

Passing judgement on others.
Does this topic bother you that much?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join