It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maryland Residents Are Sick of Being Spied On And Are Tearing Down Police Cameras

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by votan
reply to post by AngryAlien

how exactly can you do this??

I think the better question is how is anyone forced to do anything? You always have a choice...

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by For Truth
reply to post by MDDoxs

Thanks for the post. I like the sci-fo/looking ahead view that you take. You said that destroying them isn't enough... At the moment it seems like there are not many great options for taking them out.

Guns would be good, but you would need to be sure you aren't firing in the LOS of that camera or any others nearby. Same goes for beting/torching them.

I was just wonderingif there were some sort of focused emp or anything like that which could be used to destroy them?

What better options would we have to destroy them either at a distance or close-up but undetectable without collateral damage?

Make an anti-CCTV hat. Just mount some infrared LEDs on a hat with a nine volt battery.
boingboing.net...

Then get a laser. Or even a wrist rocket. Shotgun if you're feeling ballsy.

Have at 'em. Go nuts. Laugh maniacally while you are doing it so they get it on a recording if they have sound.

All it takes is a few good men. OK, more than a few, but still a minority.

These cameras only increase accidents. photoradarscam.com...

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by For Truth
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I like the idea of a laser. It seems the Spyder 3 would be the way to go. Calibrate a scope attatchment and I think it would work pretty well. I think you would just need the time to point the laser at the camera, depending on the strngth of the laser to make it a costly, safe (identity-wise), and time-consuming (replacement time) option. I will have to look more in to this!

I'd thought about this in strictly a hypothetical way and seriously don't have the money to test it. However, in thinking through the pointing issue, it's one piece of optics being mounted to another. Nothing more or less. As simple as that sounds, think just how simple.
No ballistics, so there just isn't an issue with accuracy. Only tuning the scope to the laser and mating the two so no further movement....or very measured movement happens after that.

I'd imagine a really enterprising nerdy type with far too much time on their hands could easily use a rifle scope with adjustable elevation set for range on a Caliber. One of my very nice hunting rifles has a Leupold scope with an additional adjustment ring that is set in meters. 25-50-100-200. . .etc. If you use the .223 bolt action it was bought for, setting it to zero at one range should...in theory, work for the next. In other words, it's moving the vertical in just the way the laser would need adjusted every so often for distance to compensate for the two not being perfectly aligned down the long axis. Just make sure they are aligned in vertical and it's one set of marks to know for matching point to point on sight vs. light.

The end result would... as the world's greatest toy of course....be a laser with 500-1000 meter scoped range and the ability to light up what was intended on the first try, as accurately as the beam still holds for diameter at the range, so the time lit would be a second or two and never in some goofy sweep and pan to find the spot that everyone for hundreds of yards has their eyes drawn to.

(remembers when fun stuff like this could be discussed without picking words so carefully... sheesh
)

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

Are you the guy that purposes does only the speed limit and sometimes under, in the fast lane, just to keep everyone "in check?"

There's such a thing as flow of traffic. You (or whoever) disrupt it when you ignore simple things like driving in the right lanes if you aren't keeping up with the flow. I see this all of the time. You can see a half-mile ahead that the there is one driver in the left lane that refuses to get over, thus causing a rolling roadblock. You are effectively reducing the overall speed of those behind you to well-under the speed limit because you aren't either keeping up or getting over.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBlood

Unless you're royalty or some politian! Then you may demand privacy wherever you see fit. How dare you take a photo of Kate Middleton! How dare a common citizen ask a politian a question!

Kate Middleton was in a private place and that camera was not there in order to enforce some aspect of expected public behavior. Fail.

We are scum and they are our overlords. And people like yourself that make fun of people that question the absurdity of the situation love it.

Who is we? You got a mouse in your pocket? If you choose to label yourself as scum, then so be it. I am not scum.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus
reply to post by Annee

Annee I always knew you secretly loved the Totalitarian world where govt can tell you what to think and believe, what to say and not say, who not to say it to....all in the name of social justice. Oh wait, only so long as it's what you personally believe.

Coming from YOU - - someone so extremely Right Wing Conservative - - - I'm surprised you haven't fallen off the planet.

Why don't you seriously read the post I responded to.

It is not about my personal opinion - - - but the direction we are headed technologically.

I have stated many times I view the "Logical Progression" we are headed as a society.

Sorry to ruin your "Gotcha" moment.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBlood

Tell that to the slaves in China that make your ipad. Go on, tell them that their life is 99 percent attitude and that they should go make some lemonade. Because if people don't stand up and say no now, that's where America is headed.

You go tell them...Say no to what? The idea of law enforcement? What kind of world do you want to live in? I think the answer is coming up...

Don't like the system of enslavement that you're born into? We have a cage for that.

Just as I thought...it should be okay to take the law into your own hands in this case for no just cause.

Like I said, most ATS'ers have a huge ego and grandiose sense of importance. At the same time, they think they are scum and think others think they are scum. "Mental wounds not healing..." - Ozzy Osbourne

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

You are wrong. If they are not tracking you via video surveillance they can track you by your financial transactions, cell phone, vehicle GPS...the list goes on. You seem to embrace your enslavement. You should seek treatment for Stockholm Syndrome as it is an epidemic that has spread like wildfire around the "free" world.

And you should seek treatment for classic paranoia/schizophrenia. Dude, you are just not that important. You are typing this chit on a computer, just like me. I am slave to no one except my own foibles and idiosyncrasies. What has spread like wildfire around the world is people thinking they can just do whatever they want when they want. Life does not PROPERLY work that way.

Lines and waiting in turn are part of life. That is all these cameras are for.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by phroziac

You know I learned how to drive at EVOC although it's not what they teach openly I had one of the instructors comment once that it's not really the speeding cars that cause the accident even when the accident involves said speeding car. It's the level of awareness that's lacking in most drivers that cause accident. That and non sequitur hesitant drivers. I agree it's safe granted your tires are in good condition to travel upwards of 100 mph. Also make sure your vehicle isn't prone to front end lift.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
GOOD, they should destroy all of them. They are nothing but a speeding trap to generate revenue for the state.

Yes, I agree but there is a bigger picture to this. They are trying to desensitize us to the idea of cameras being around. They want to do that so they can start putting up cameras everywhere to watch our every move. Most people don't know this but the state of Maryland is one of the most rebellious states toward authority. (No, not in the sense we are violent but in the sense we question authority a lot) If you look at history, you will see the state of Maryland has had many famous rebellious people. Also, during the civil war the state of Maryland was evenly divided between those of the confederates and the union. Furthermore, the federal government knows this and is afraid of a state which is still very divided to this day in the sense of the people who are for their government and are against their government.

Now, as far as speeding goes it DOESN'T cause accidents, RECKLESS DRIVING does. Like someone posted on here I forget who said something to the fact most car accidents happen in congested areas like side roads and at intersections. So this being said what is enforcing speed limit laws gonna do? They are not gonna knock down the rate of accidents, but will ticket many tax payers so they can make extra dollars off of the people as well as raise their car insurance and everyone else's car insurance. I don't see many people catching the vicious circle which is going on here.

What about the seat belt law? Isn't that ridiculous? I mean yes, a seat belt CAN save your life but for it to be an enforced law is nonsense. It should be a decision WE are allowed to make. (Anyways getting back to the topic)

I must admit I am very happy to see THESE people standing up for themselves and the REST of Maryland which doesn't EVEN care about what THEIR politicians do or that we are on the brink of WW3.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

See my Thread in my location !!

Mysterious cameras mounted along St. Lawrence County ( NY ) highways, page 1
www.abovetopsecret.com...

The State Police, Local Police and the Massena Electric Company

Have No Clue Who PUT THEM CAMERAS on the Electric POLES !! along the Highway ..

There Was One Taken Down By Massena Electric Company
and There's NO Information of Who Owns These Cameras on it at ALL! Nor MANUFACTURE on it ...

And National Grid ( a Electric Company ) isn't Talking ! that provides Electricity in the North Country
that Some of these Camera are on these Poles Owned By National Grid !

And as some of you Don't realize that National Grid !! is Owned BY a British Company

That May of Put those CCTV Cameras in the UK that are Famously Known all Over the UK ....

The Main Site >>

Mysterious cameras mounted along St. Lawrence County highways; Massena Electric removes one for lack of authorization
Wednesday, May 30, 2012 - 2:23 pm

northcountrynow.com...

Andrew McMahon, supervisor of the Massena Electric Department, said one of his crews spotted one on a pole in their service area, hanging “in the electric space and dangerous, mounted without our authorization,” and took it down.

He said he did not know the origin of the camera box, but said he thought it was “probably the feds, but that’s a hunch.”

State Police Lt. Kevin Boyea of Troop B said he has no knowledge of the cameras, their origin or their purpose. A spokesperson from National Grid had not yet responded to a request for comment by the time this story was posted

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I know most high end SLR digital cameras have mechanical shutters, so i would guess these cameras would as well since they cost 3k. So you would probably have to wait until it took a picture to get the best chance at damaging the sensor.

Also, because of the lenses in the camera, you'd probably have to be in the car that the camera was taking a picture of to get the full power of the beam into the sensor.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by MDDoxs
In my opinion this level of surveillance and interconnectivity is inevitable.

Technological advancement not only for the purpose of crime prevention and surveillance will utilize these type of networks, but personal devices as well.

I foresee a future were social media and technological interaction will be common place everywhere we go and cameras, sensors and all kinds of other types of monitoring devices will be needed to supply us with our insatiable need for being “plugged in” as it were.

I agree with you.

Those making excuses that they should be able to break the law - - like its somehow their right - - are annoying.

How about you are stupid... OK so we are all suppose to sit back and watch our Governor and state politicians put us in a police state while we are getting taxed to death as it is? Do you live in Maryland and know what it's like? How about YOU come and live here pay all the taxes they want you to pay and make the average salary hovering around eight dollars a hour while trying to just make ends meet with everything you already have to pay for AND THEN have to deal with crap like this. If you want me to I can go over all the tax laws we have to deal with here in MD so maybe you can have a better understanding of OUR situation.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
reply to post by howmuch4another

Not really real criminals but definately lawbreakers.

That's the thing I hate about driving and the speed limit. Everybody thinks they don't have to do the speed limit and will always drive faster because they don't think the law applies to them, and they can get away with breaking the law.

I hate speeders just for that reason.

OBEY THE LAW.

Nah, you're allowed to break the law.

That's the point. There are times when going above the speed limit is justified. Hurrying to hospital ,etc.

Each person must make his own judgment about when it's appropriate to break the law.

If you want to enforce the speed limit, just design cars to have that limit, so people can't accelerate past the posted point. If your top speed limit in the states is 55MPH, then no car should have a speedometer that goes above that.

Then you can computer control each car as it enters roads with lower limits, just send a satellite signal to the car's computer reducing the allowable limit to 30MPH or whatever.

Laws that are not meant to be broken, are fixed so they can't be broken. Every other law, is optional.

You get caught, you pay the fine. You don't get caught, you pay no fine. You get caught, and have a good excuse, then maybe you don't pay the fine then either.

edit on 18-9-2012 by GreatOwl because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by howmuch4another
It seems there is an error in the title of the OP.
shouldn't it read;

"Maryland Criminals Are Sick of Being Caught and Arrested And Are Tearing Down Police Cameras"?

You know, I used to think just like you. If you aren't breaking the law a cop on every corner is just one more person to wave at.

Then I learned how our court system really works.

As far as I'm concerned the only cameras should owned by private property owners, the feds, state or local have no business with cameras.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by HIWATT

Originally posted by totallackey
reply to post by HIWATT

I for one value my privacy, and I also value everyone's right to stick up for theirs, and stand up and make a statement when they see things they think are unfair/unjust or yes, simply over intrusive - which you seem to think is no big deal.

Well, then STAY PRIVATE and in your home. Tie down that tin foil hat REAL TIGHT...keep the gray matter from oozing out...You have no privacy in public places...

"staying in my home" won't be private for much longer either with the advent of "smart" technology which sooner or later everyone will be forced to use as the old technology becomes outdated and no longer produced.

FORCED

Does not having options and/or alternatives sound friendly to you?

I suppose your retort to that would be "well, go live in a tree then"

Your insight is brilliant. Please bestow more upon us

This is just the tip of the iceberg of the Orwellian society. Seems like many people do not have the ability to follow this to the logical end of adding more and more cameras to every street corner, building, parking lot, and store floor to be sure that we are all observed in everything we do everywhere we go. Add rfid, iris scans and other biometrics...so many keep saying as long as we don't break the law we're good to go right? I expect these people are not insulted by enhanced pat downs and backscatter machines either.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus
reply to post by Annee

Annee I always knew you secretly loved the Totalitarian world where govt can tell you what to think and believe, what to say and not say, who not to say it to....all in the name of social justice. Oh wait, only so long as it's what you personally believe.

Coming from YOU - - someone so extremely Right Wing Conservative - - - I'm surprised you haven't fallen off the planet.

Why don't you seriously read the post I responded to.

It is not about my personal opinion - - - but the direction we are headed technologically.

I have stated many times I view the "Logical Progression" we are headed as a society.

Sorry to ruin your "Gotcha" moment.

Annee I am very familiar with the issues you generally concern yourself with here on this site. I have observed that you tend more toward the Nanny State even though you post a lot regarding "social justice" issues usually regarding gay marriage and gay rights. In other words you would like society to dictate terms to us such as accepting social norms you feel are justified by your personal opinions(Ie society must accept gay marriage because you feel it is the right thing to do) and I am totally not surprised to see you suggesting that as long as we don't break the law, traffic cams are just fine with you.

Statism can be Progressive or Conservative depending on which issues a person is concerned with. While I am generally for not breaking the law, it is getting to the point where a Police State is developing right before our eyes.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by flashtrum

Are you the guy that purposes does only the speed limit and sometimes under, in the fast lane, just to keep everyone "in check?"

No. I don't impose my views onto people.

And secondly, i stick to back roads and the slow lane wherever possible.

But I really do wish people would learn that they are not above the law and that the law does apply to them and stop speeding.

However, if I were a cop all my ticket quotes would be filled daily.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
I absolutely condone the destruction of the cameras aka chains being placed to enslave us. Soon, we will also need to go after those people who are "just following orders". They are complicit in our enslavement and will need to be dealt with. Just following orders IS NOT an acceptable excuse.

WHAT DARTH SAID!!

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
They haven't seen what is around the corner. Flying camera drones over the freeways. With laser beams to shoot out rocks and bullets. And more electronic weapons to beam a little signal in your direction to make you feel nice and happy and civil again. Tickles the retina with flashy stuff, makes you forget its even there, watching how you behave, giving subtle hints to a supercomputer that interprets your body signals over a 3D grid, so it can find the next person who may be waking up out of the program.

The concept of being able to face one's accuser, I do believe that only works with those who have been born out of a human, a fellow citizen, not a machine out of a factory. We don't trust 10 year olds but we trust 8 year old computers? Being Smart is deceptive. How do we know India or China companies are not in charge of watching those videos, because the security labor is cheaper there?

I like the civil liberty of knowing that I am out of the view of my fellow citizens, and trustworthy on my own, so I can sniff-check my armpit, or grab the wedgie out of my butt when nobody's looking. Not having to wonder what government pervert of the day is ogling my activities. It's as uncomfortable as putting a camera in my house and telling me to deal with it, because my neighborhood is an extension of the house.

Police are decent enough to be present when they watch. City cameras, you don't know which cameraman is being bribed by crooks at the fusion center to look the other way. I don't want cheap mayors. I want cities that afford real people for real living, not civilian-phobic forces hiding behind one way lenses. If you have to take down the street lights and put a person there directing traffic from now on, it may be worth it.

Too many cameras actually create more security problems for a nation, because now your eyes have been doubled or tripled, and they become digital sheep now, worse than just sheeple. It's like taking sugar to cure diabetes.
edit on 18-9-2012 by Sandalphon because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join