Maryland Residents Are Sick of Being Spied On And Are Tearing Down Police Cameras

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by RABiam
reply to post by AngryAlien

outside the box, we need to take them all down and distribute them equally across the globe. Can't have it both ways, ready for equality? want our jobs? take these camera's...please?

Honestly think these camera's are a complete waste of money. Not every inch of the planet needs to be monitored. Well, actually the public does, because people will sue for anyyyyything. Greed

Oh dont worry, there are cameras everywhere across the globe. Think places like Tunisia do not have them? My husband was there recently and said they have cameras.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
While a waste of taxpayer money, I have to admit it makes me happy to hear these cameras are being destroyed.

We have these cameras in FL, and I can tell you it has changed my driving for the worst. As soon as I see yellow I brake.

I have only received one ticket so far, and love the wording on the ticket. Basically, if you even think about contesting the ticket you automatically:

- Have to pay more than the amount on the ticket, around $100.00($258 total)
- Have points added to your record, resulting in higher insurance premiums

edit on 18-9-2012 by Tesla122112 because: spelling correction

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by howmuch4another

Not really real criminals but definately lawbreakers.

That's the thing I hate about driving and the speed limit. Everybody thinks they don't have to do the speed limit and will always drive faster because they don't think the law applies to them, and they can get away with breaking the law.

I hate speeders just for that reason.

OBEY THE LAW.

It's there for a reason.

In this case the speed limit is to help with safety. Because speeding endangers people's lives, the people in the car that's speeding, and the other cars on the road.

I don't understand why people ignore this fact of life.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
I'm not condoning the destruction of police property

Well I AM!!!!

....and to all of the people who say that they don't agree with it because it is a waste of our tax dollars
, let's follow your logic all of the way thru shall we???

I there is civil unrest and cops/military start going door to door and collecting all of the guns and rounding people up, we shouldn't defend ourselves or our rights because.....it may mean shooting to kill and that would be a waste of taxpayer dollars.

Think of all of the money it takes to train a police officer or military member.

On a sad note, think of how much more unsafe the residents of Maryland are now that they aren't being surveiled.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Destroy it all!!!!
I hope this spreads to where I live.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
A pellet rifle with a good scope and a talented marksman behind the trigger could take out hundreds of cameras for a few dollars.

We'll be seeing more of this.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by totallackey

What did we ever do before cameras came to save us??????? Their presence may deter some crime, and of course that is their purpose, but if a camera can pick up a crime, it's usually after the fact that anything is ever done about it.
I recommend reading George Orwell's book "Nineteen Eighty Four".

Modern readers are more often introduced to Orwell as a novelist, particularly through his enormously successful titles Animal Farm and Nineteen Eighty-Four. The former is often thought to reflect degeneration in the Soviet Union after the Russian Revolution and the rise of Stalinism; the latter, life under totalitarian rule. Nineteen Eighty-Four is often compared to Brave New World by Aldous Huxley; both are powerful dystopian novels warning of a future world where the state machine exerts complete control over social life. In 1984, Nineteen Eighty-Four and Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 were honoured with the Prometheus Award for their contributions to dystopian literature. In 2011 he received it again for Animal Farm.

en.wikipedia.org...

I read the book when I was about 14 or 15 and the imagery of it has stayed with me as a warning for the future. Even at that age I knew it was a vision of the future if not counteracted. Of course there are things which could not have been foreseen by him, which I feel make things even more ominous.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Brings back memories of this lunatic from last year ...
MD man attacks speed-camera vehicle with hammer and shotgun

Maryland State Police closed down the Baltimore-Washington Parkway for more than three hours Wednesday as they searched for a man who was carrying a shotgun and hammer and smashed the windshield of a Jeep SUV that had speed cameras mounted on it.

Nobody was injured. As of Thursday morning, police were still searching for the man, who was described as wearing a plaid, possibly flannel, shirt on an 87-degree day.

...came out of a nearby strip of woods wielding a shotgun and a hammer. He began tapping on the rear of the Jeep with the shotgun...

The suspect then came to the front of the Jeep and began yelling incoherently and smashing the windshield with the hammer ... windshield shattered, Shipley said, and the worker got out of the car and crouched by the guardrail for cover. The man with the hammer and gun then left.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
reply to post by howmuch4another

Not really real criminals but definately lawbreakers.

That's the thing I hate about driving and the speed limit. Everybody thinks they don't have to do the speed limit and will always drive faster because they don't think the law applies to them, and they can get away with breaking the law.

I hate speeders just for that reason.

OBEY THE LAW.

It's there for a reason.

In this case the speed limit is to help with safety. Because speeding endangers people's lives, the people in the car that's speeding, and the other cars on the road.

I don't understand why people ignore this fact of life.

I will go ahead and apologize to you for my profusely long driving record. maybe 6 or 7 speeding tickets. There is really nothing to understand, people aren't perfect, flaws are inherent, people dont pay attention. Please dont take that as me dismissing you because I never want to endanger you or anyone. I have my flaws, like everyone else, Im sorry that mine make you feel endangered. I shall work harder!

Rab

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
If I'm not mistaken, the cameras at intersections are not speed cameras but red light cams designed to catch people who drive through a red light, because that is often how people get into bad accidents. This is why the cams are focused on the intersections.
Radar is used for catching speeders and there is usually a cop attached to those. The radar gadgets often seen on streets informing you of your speed seems to be more a method of warning people to watch their speed as tickets are probably not issued from them.
Then there are the cameras at toll booths designed to take a pic of your license plate if you go through a toll without paying. Has anyone driven through a toll where the cameras are mounted above the street? If you forget to exit to the toll booth and you don't have one of those tracking gadgets in your car, you get a ticket in the mail.
I saw more and more of these things and more cameras along the Greeneway in florida, and more red light cams being mounted everywhere during the time I was there.

I would mention there is a certain aire of impersonality with these cameras. It is like Big Brother watching us, but we never really interact with an actual person.
edit on 18-9-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs
In my opinion this level of surveillance and interconnectivity is inevitable.

Technological advancement not only for the purpose of crime prevention and surveillance will utilize these type of networks, but personal devices as well.

I foresee a future were social media and technological interaction will be common place everywhere we go and cameras, sensors and all kinds of other types of monitoring devices will be needed to supply us with our insatiable need for being “plugged in” as it were.

I agree with you.

Those making excuses that they should be able to break the law - - like its somehow their right - - are annoying.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Annee I always knew you secretly loved the Totalitarian world where govt can tell you what to think and believe, what to say and not say, who not to say it to....all in the name of social justice. Oh wait, only so long as it's what you personally believe.
edit on 18-9-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by 369821
I dont condone the destruction of this property, as it is paid for with our tax dollars. Thus leading to the waste of more tax dollars to replace those cameras and add cameras to watch the cameras. Vicious cycle. At the same time, I give these people 2 thumbs up. The level of surveillance in the US has gotten out of hand. Before you know it, we will be like the UK with cameras watching every move we make.

The vicious circle can only continue as long as nobody acts.

Now people are acting. I love it.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

There's different types of cameras. There's red light cameras, but there's also cameras which will use radar and check your speed. Some cities also have versions which record where your car is, then record what time it passes another camera and compute your speed over that distance to determine if you were speeding.

Like I said though, I have no problems with any of these cameras. It keeps subjective cops off the streets, and enforces the law on everyone with no prejudice.

It's pretty easy to not get hit by them. Don't try to speed through yellow lights and obey the speed limits. It sucks that some cities will set up speed traps but they do that regardless of the presence of cameras. All the cameras do is enforce the traffic laws that society has collectively agreed to in order to make roads safer.

Provided the cameras aren't used to create databases on people and track them, they're a very good thing to have around.
edit on 18-9-2012 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by totallackey
reply to post by HIWATT

I for one value my privacy, and I also value everyone's right to stick up for theirs, and stand up and make a statement when they see things they think are unfair/unjust or yes, simply over intrusive - which you seem to think is no big deal.

Well, then STAY PRIVATE and in your home. Tie down that tin foil hat REAL TIGHT...keep the gray matter from oozing out...You have no privacy in public places...

"staying in my home" won't be private for much longer either with the advent of "smart" technology which sooner or later everyone will be forced to use as the old technology becomes outdated and no longer produced.

FORCED

Does not having options and/or alternatives sound friendly to you?

I suppose your retort to that would be "well, go live in a tree then"

Your insight is brilliant. Please bestow more upon us

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

I must admit that I am not completely in agreement with the methods used to destroy these cameras as firing a weapon or causing a fire can be very dangerous to the unsuspecting public so if these people have such an issue with these cameras they should pursue other options when dealing with them.

agreed, a simple laser pointer will do way more damage than the methods described
and require replacing the entire device, not just the housing or mount, also digging up any connections
between the camera company and whoever is signing off on the purchase.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
an independent report done several years ago using insurance claim data rather than police supplied data showed that accidents at intersections with red light cameras increased about 62%

yea for safety
edit on 18-9-2012 by circuitsports because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by HIWATT

"staying in my home" won't be private for much longer either with the advent of "smart" technology which sooner or later everyone will be forced to use as the old technology becomes outdated and no longer produced.

FORCED

You are not FORCED. You still have the choice to move away or go off the grid.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by AngryAlien

how exactly can you do this??

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join