Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Maryland Residents Are Sick of Being Spied On And Are Tearing Down Police Cameras

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

You are right sir, That book IS amazing. Glad to see more intelligent minds thinking the same.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Maryland, UK, France, Israel, Belgium, Italy, Poland, Iowa and, Germany have all reported this. A 19 year old set one ablaze in Israel.
When Googled, I seen questions from yahoo answers on the best way to destroy one. LOLLL. Seems there are plenty of people who hate this. My dad actually drives by and gives the camera the finger.. By the way, when he does this he's only going 10 mph so it's pretty damn hilarious.
Oh, you can always go buy some PhotoBlocker to avoid getting tickets if you like speeding.
www.radarbusters.com...

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Well, I do disagree with traffic camera's that take photos of traffic violations and then mail out citations for said violation months later. To me, it's like having your dog take a dump on your new carpet when u leave for work in the morning, and you dont notice until you come home 10 hours later, then you beat the dog for it's septic violation, even though the dog has no clue why because of the large time lapse. Also, you can't take that redlight camera to court with you to fight the case. There is no due justice. Now, that being said, did anyone see the hefty price tag on Big Brother's toys! $30,000!!!??? Each one that is destroyed by citizens is costing the tax payers major money. I am all for fighting against these unconstitutional spy toys, but the citizens of Maryland (and elsewhere that disagree with the use of these cameras) need to stand together and fight back peacefully, legally, and without destroying government property. Get a petition to discontinue the use of, and take down the cameras and have everyone you know and their brother's to sign it and turn it into the courts. Fight back, but remain peaceful or you'll just risk your freedom, cost tax payers more money that doesn't exist, and also make those of us fighting the good fight in legal ways to stop unconstitutional surveilance such as this look like a pack of wild apes with no self control and only a violent temper with no regards to the law (as twisted as it may be)

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
reply to post by DrumsRfun

The speed cameras are not about public safety. In many instances, they have made some intersections more dangerous. This is all about revenue generation and surveillance of the populace. Tear them down.

Absolutely. Two were added to my route and they are causing crazy maneuvers because they upset the normal sane flow of traffic. It's a very difficult thing to explain, it's something you need to experience to understand how awkwardly placed these cameras are.

It's not just the cameras. I've been complaining for over a year on ATS that the police presence and level of scrutiny on citizens going about mundane things like outings at the park with children or shopping is over the top and creepy. Everyone here is talking about it now, not just conspiracy nuts.

We have a lot of working poor and I wonder how they manage to get by with the price of gas so high and now these cameras placed where the law automatically doubles the fine.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Its really annoying how every day more and more this country is becoming a police state I usally get pulled over almost every night with the cop asking where im going or what am i doing....

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I'm surprised you haven't fallen off the planet.

And you 're a flat earther to boot?

Sorry, I just had to....all in good jest

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   
New technology

A new cctv camera which has been invented by Japanese company Hitachi, has the ability to use facial recognition to find you amongst millions of other people.
There will be no hiding place from the government if this new cctv camera is installed in a town near you and will make 1984 look more like an instruction manual rather than a crazy idea.

Using just a single thumbnail, authorities can search 36 million faces within less than a second and considering how many photos people have on Facebook, almost anyone could be found.
Hitachi representatives have said they think the cctv cameras could be used by police or other law enforcement;

“We think this system is suitable for customers that have a relatively large-scale surveillance system, such as railways, power companies, law enforcement, and large stores,”

worldundercontrol.com...

For the last quarter century, under Conservative and Labor governments alike, the United Kingdom has conducted a living experiment on the use of cameras to conduct domestic surveillance that would have made Stasi operatives green with envy. There are roughly 4.3 million cameras in the UK—a million of them in the city of London alone, according to the Metropolitan Police Service. They are operated by the Metropolitan Police and by the London Underground, by private security firms and local governments, by schools and hospitals and parking lots and chip shops. They survey busy intersections, Tube platforms, and significant buildings, but also the entrances to pubs, apartment buildings, and health clubs. In some parts of London, they are literally everywhere.

with growing numbers of CCTV cameras popping up in cities from Los Angeles to Chicago. The proliferation of CCTV and other surveillance tools strikes many as sinister. “Two years ago I warned that we were in danger of sleepwalking into a surveillance society,” said British Information Commissioner Richard Thomas in 2006. “Today I fear that we are in fact waking up to a surveillance society that is already all around us.”

www.washingtonmonthly.com...

So sleepwalkers who insistt that everything is going to be hunky dory as long as you don't break the law, I guess you will love your captivity.

Animal crackers anyone?

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

It has come to the point where we are all looked upon as some type of Criminal.... basically we are all living in a Worldwide prison with a few people watching us daily.... everyone is now being watched and this includes the very people who invented the cams in the first place.... from top Officials, Governments, Police to the everyday man in the street.... we are all under surveillance living in a Worldwide Prison....

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by tornet
Its really annoying how every day more and more this country is becoming a police state I usally get pulled over almost every night with the cop asking where im going or what am i doing....

A few questions please.

Where do you live? What do you drive (color, make, model, physical appearance)? Are you minority or female? Appearance (conservative clothes/appearance, spiky hair, earrings in nose/eyebrow)?

I'm curious because I went thru a similar experience. I finally stopped the harassment by filing a complaint at the highest levels of the department.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus

So sleepwalkers who insistt that everything is going to be hunky dory as long as you don't break the law, I guess you will love your captivity.

Animal crackers anyone?

Unfortunately, you'll be in captivity with us. Did you forget that part? Or do you have some grand plan to leave the nanny state and live in the woods? What is your plan to take down or circumvent this threat?

Pass the crackers this way...

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
me2

also - might want to look at :
torproject.org

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by For Truth

I've asked this before and never gotten a really clear answer myself. I also don't have the spare 2-300 dollars one costs to test the theory but wouldn't lasers work to burn out the photo sensors? I mean this isn't magic to make the cameras work and if one just stops to think about what has to work right, from the camera operator's side of the fence here, it seems having the lens hit with a destructive level laser would do the trick to whiteout the display?

The one I'd think of would be along the lines of the Spyder 3 which is rated as literally dangerous in power to burn and cut through light stuff.

Now Lasers have no realistic range in a sense we'd care for still being in line of sight to a little mounted camera......but the camera has a very real limit in mega-pixels and such for how far IT can see and make any sense of what is in the view.

Just all concepts for an enterprising person to consider for how it all works together as an idea... Never something I'd do or condone of course. Those cameras are very expensive, I'm sure!

I believe I can answer your question about the lasers, anyway - basically the answer is yes, any high-powered class 4 (which is anything over a watt) has the ability to at least temporarily blind or even destroy the CCD in a camera. I have heard of that happening to a few laser enthusiasts who have sought to photograph their lasers in action and they end up ruining their cameras with an errant direct hit. But there are some things to consider - the laser source (especially considering most high powered lasers in use today by hobbyists are diode lasers, which have a poor beam divergence, meaning the beam flares out and gets wide like a flashlight beam and its power density vastly decreases with distance) needs to be fairly close to the camera, like within maybe 20 feet, for there to be enough power density to do the job. A DPSS laser (diode pumped solid state, the type most green lasers are, but they are also much more costly when you get into the higher powers) has a much finer beam and could do the job from further away, the as noted the cost is beyond what the average person would want to pay, especially just to kill a camera.

In addition, you would want to be standing still when lasering a camera, not riding in a car, as you may need a couple of seconds to get the effects you desire.

That said, with regards to the OP, I am also a Maryland resident, but I live out in the 'burbs where thankfully this sort of blight hasn't yet appeared. In fact, some of the small towns here in Carroll county have managed to defeat attempts (legally, not by taking out existing cameras) to bring speed cameras to town. Supposedly the law here in Maryland states that only school zones and construction sites are allowed to use them; however, a lot of the problem seems to lie in how they are used within these zones. I have been following the flap about the cameras (in Baltimore City, at least) and I've seen many letters to the news paper where people complain that they have been busted by the cameras near schools at 3 am! Come on - I can sort of see having one active during school operation - but at 3 am?!? That's just a rip off IMO. What public schools are they expecting to be in operation at that time of the night? In addition, a week or so ago I was driving along the Baltimore Beltway at around 9 pm, and it was raining - and guess what - there's this construction "speed zone" warning with flashing lights and a radar set up (I don't think there were any cameras, at least nothing that I noticed or none that were working) that was showing the speed of the traffic that was passing by it in the slow lane. IMO that's ridiculous - 9 pm on a weekend, in the rain - there wasn't a soul out there doing any kind of work anywhere but they still had all the stuff turned on! Again, if they're going to do it, at least only turn the stuff on when the work site is active! Again, I don't know if they were enforcing that site with a camera or actual police, but either way, if no one's working there none of it should be operational. It was a moot point that night anyway as most people were creeping along at around 40mph (the limit there is 55) due to the rain.

But I do think that speed cameras should go the way of the dinosaurs - get rid of 'em!

I also think that another tack that might possibly work (in addition to killing the cameras and the cameras that watch them) is if there are any businesses in the areas where the cameras are set up, these businesses should be notified by communities that they will be boycotted until the cameras are gone. Businesses can be pretty helpful (perhaps more so than the individual) at putting pressure on gov't officials to get things done.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Why do people assume that if there's a camera then there's someone sitting watching 24/7?

The place where I work has CCTV and nobody watches it unless something happens and the footage is needed, people should get real and realise that what they get up to in their day to day lives is boring and means nothing to most people. I don't get it, I don't get why people care or worry.

This is vandalism, pure and simple. Not all CCTV is government owned/operated. A lot of it is in place to protect premises...and people.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs
In my opinion this level of surveillance and interconnectivity is inevitable.

Technological advancement not only for the purpose of crime prevention and surveillance will utilize these type of networks, but personal devices as well.

I foresee a future were social media and technological interaction will be common place everywhere we go and cameras, sensors and all kinds of other types of monitoring devices will be needed to supply us with our insatiable need for being “plugged in” as it were.

So may choose to disagree, or that I am going a bit off topic, but our relationship between technology, in this case surveillance equipment, and ourselves will grow ever more intertwined.

The future is a digital one and this kind of stuff is part of it.

My viewpoint is that this type of digital infrastructure will continue to develop and we cannot stop it, however what needs to develop is a niche industry to counter balance the increased exposure we will experience.

Anyways, this is not the stone age I am afraid to say. Groups, including the government, will exploit technological development and it is up to us to maintain the balance.

Edit: Before i get blasted from people Thinking I support government monitoring, I don’t. I am just under the impression that this kind of development will happen regardless of complaints as mentioned in the OP.

Eventually destroying the equipment wont be enough..

edit on 17-9-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

"Inevitability" is the imprint of a despotic ideology (and ideology of despotism) that was enforced into your mind, by the State and its technologies of control. Just as TV makes its sheep believe they can't live without it, and the same goes for corporate "social media" like Facebook, and so on. That is all a self-serving ideology of servitude, that's got NOTHING to do with our needs.

There is no technology that cannot be resisted, as long as its producers are us, humans. Surveillance technology is no exception, and attacking it as these people do IS a way to oppose and resist a "1984" society, especially in the face of corpocrats who've been spreading these everywhere effortlessly, and without much monetary losses up to this day.

When they'll have to be double-securing cameras in crazy ways as they already are doing in France -where people have been breaking CCTVs for a few years already- those things will get so costly they'll think twice before installing new ones. F

But above this, it shows to everyone else that there are people resisting this totalitarian surveillance grid.
edit on 19/9/12 by Echtelion because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
People are so damn paranoid when it comes to this stuff...people will defend their own rights - the apparent right to not be filmed...complete nonsense.

What about a mans right to protect his property, his business? Why are all cameras seen as government spying tools when the gov't don't even own or operate a large number of them? They're privately owned. If I owned a business I'd appreciate my right to deter damage to my property more than some member of the publics right not to be filmed. Nobody gives a crap about images of you walking around shopping, or paying bills - face it, most of us don't do much interesting in public. How long could you sit and watch people going about their daily affairs? You already can, find a street...sit down and observe. People will be citing their right not to be looked at by human eyes, next...stupid.

Where's a persons right not to be filmed when those idolised in the media are being chased by the paparazzi? Oh, they're in the public eye, it's their job therefore they're entitled to be followed and photographed for us to ogle...they're denied a basic human right (is it a human right? The right not to be filmed...I don't think it is) so we can see pictures of them in the media...yeah, whatever. They can harass people to the point of high speed car chases which end in calamity, just to take a photo of them...but god forbid someone has a camera record an image of you, in the street...fully clothed - carrying a bag of shopping or something, oh how creepy! How alec baldwin! How sliver! How stupid.

Pathetic, I'm glad CCTV is there for many reasons, mostly because I know that everywhere I've worked where they've had CCTV installled - nobody sat and monitored it 24/7, it was used when needed. It can help protect people and property. Those who claim it's against their human rights neglect to realise we don't all harbour resentment towards it. I for one feel safer, it keeps the streets cleaner, protects private and public property which we all pay for in some way...so meh.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Donkey_Dean

Along the same vein of thought - I live out in the middle of nowhere and the DOT put up 3 surveillance cameras at an intersection that literally has no traffic. There are no houses or buildings anywhere close and it is surrounded by woods. It's really remote! My kids pointed them out to me and my first response was outrage... I'm tempted to get my .22 out and use them for target practice from the relative obscurity of the woods.

Looking at why they may have chosen this spot from a different angle... There are exactly three routes into and out of the area where I live (on a peninsula). If/When the SHTF and people are rounded up, this intersection makes a really convenient place for a checkpoint to check someone's papers.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Have you guys seen youtube channel 4409's traffic camera activism videos?

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Have you guys and gals seen youtube channel 4409's traffic camera activism videos?

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
I absolutely condone the destruction of the cameras aka chains being placed to enslave us. Soon, we will also need to go after those people who are "just following orders". They are complicit in our enslavement and will need to be dealt with. Just following orders IS NOT an acceptable excuse.

What I find extremely scary is how complacent everyone is. I'm not condoning anything. But all I'm saying is there's this attitude out there that everyone has where no one is willing to stand up for anything. Or to take a stand against tryanny. That's basically gonna get everyone killed in the end. It's not gonna be hard at all in my guestimation for TPTB to do whatever they want since no one is willing to do anything. Unfortunately I'm not that different though, I got too many problems already to go out inventing new ones. But I'm sure that's how a lot of people feel.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join