It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Veteran Designation Available on State Drivers License/ID – Good for Veterans or Control Measure?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Our State just passed this law to help all the Veterans who didn’t retire and therefore have no ID card take advantage of some of the discounts and “free coffees” and such offered to Veterans around the area. Veteran discounts are pretty common around here. Also, will help for employment and such since you are having your veteran status validated. Note this is not mandatory for the veteran - yet...

To get the Veterans designation, a Veteran needs to present at any Missouri license office a copy of the DD-214 showing a discharge status of “Honorable,” “General,” “Under Honorable Conditions,” or “General under Honorable Conditions” and pay the applicable fees for the license or card. The Veterans designation, a ribbon with the word “Veteran” inside, will be printed on the back of the card.

vfwmo.org...

However, the dark side for conspiracy theorists is that now they will readily know who you are when you are pulled over for the “special treatment” since TPTB might designate us as more “dangerous/potentially aggressive” than the average citizen.

I mean if they (the Government) wanted to round us (veterans) all up they know full well who we are and where we live so this doesn't facilitate a move toward that IMO – but it does concern me that the officer who stops you now knows that you are as DHS says “a possible domestic terrorist”.

Then again – it might work in your favor if you get a former service person/good guy who will take it into consideration and let you off with a warning.

I have a retiree ID card so I don’t need to have my Drivers License updated so makes no difference to me.

I don’t see nefarious intent here but I’d just like to throw it up for discussion to see what direction some others think the wind blows on this topic. Especially since there seems to be an awful lot of suspicion that seems to be surrounding veterans nowadays emanating from DHS and Auntie Janet.

edit on 15/9/2012 by Golf66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

I live in PA and nothing like that happening here.....

Being that it seems to be just a state thing, I wouldn't be too worried about it. Now with that being said, if it is done on a federal level, I would definately consider whether or not it would be a wise move to get one.

You bring up some very good points for someone to think about! S&F

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963
reply to post by Golf66

I live in PA and nothing like that happening here.....

Being that it seems to be just a state thing, I wouldn't be too worried about it. Now with that being said, if it is done on a federal level, I would definately consider whether or not it would be a wise move to get one.

You bring up some very good points for someone to think about! S&F

Thanks for commenting - I see it as benevolent/harmless especially since its just at the State level - but it could catch on I guess and has the potential for use against us.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

You don't have to be retired to get the id card. I went to the VA hospital and got my Veteran's ID card. Of course I would have never known how to get that card if I didn't have to go to the VA hospital.

This could be a positive thing for veterans who don't have any service-related health complaints.
But it does label them, and the state can track them. Now the state can know how many veterans are in their borders and where they all live (or last lived).
I can see the federal govt. telling MO that we need this information for national security purposes.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
20 years ago, I would have thought it would be an easy way for the vets wearing a badge to ID each other and maybe ease a 'ticket' situation.....but now, I don't know....Saying I have gotten out of a few traffic stops from mentioning I was a vet is an understatement. However, those situations are not above board, they are case by case between the individuals involved. There are no laws that say being a vet gets you out of a speeding ticket.....So, that can't be the drive to indicate your vet status. There has to be a purpose to indicating it, ie diabetic (having food close), motorcycle license, glasses.....you see my point?

What is the point, why is this needed on a driver's license....why do you need to differentiate yourself as a vet to an officer or government official?

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by collietta
reply to post by Golf66

You don't have to be retired to get the id card. I went to the VA hospital and got my Veteran's ID card. Of course I would have never known how to get that card if I didn't have to go to the VA hospital.

This could be a positive thing for veterans who don't have any service-related health complaints.
But it does label them, and the state can track them. Now the state can know how many veterans are in their borders and where they all live (or last lived).
I can see the federal govt. telling MO that we need this information for national security purposes.

Thanks for pointing that out for this thread!

True - there are other instances in which one can get an ID other than Retirement; however this is to cover those who have served but are not entitled to a card. i.e. Served 3 years no VA claims or whatever - they have no way other than the DD214 (which is a large piece of paper) to prove their status.

I found this U.S. Veteran Compensation Programs

Is this what you have or is it a DOD Uniformed Services ID card of some kind - I am curious?

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

Our State just passed this law to help all the Veterans who didn’t retire and therefore have no ID card take advantage of some of the discounts and “free coffees” and such offered to Veterans around the area.

I’m more conspiracy minded. This sounds like an easy way for them to more quickly identify the ‘domestic terrorists’.

No thanks! I’ll buy my own coffee.

Now if they turned half the handicapped parking spaces into VETERAN parking spaces I might go for it!

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by pointr97

What is the point, why is this needed on a driver's license....why do you need to differentiate yourself as a vet to an officer or government official?

You don't - it's not mandatory (yet) it is available.

The reason given in the bill was so veterans can get the "veterans discounts" a hiring preferences and things like that and have a smaller and more convenient way to prove their status other than the DD124 for those who have no other type of military ID (like for a retiree).

The State is making it available on the Drivers License since that is something they issue that most people have.

You also have, like I have with my CCW the option to have an State ID card with it printed on there rather than have it on the DL.

You can get your CCW on the DL and save a few bucks but every time you cash a check you advertise the fact you have the permit.

The CCW can make people feel uncomfortable and advertise that you are likely carrying, so I chose to have a separate ID for that - its none of their business.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I have a Veterans Administration card that allows me access to the VA that I can show at Appleby's on Veterans Day. That allows me the option to show my "proof" whenever I choose. Not really sure if the stamp on a drivers license (if it became non voluntary) would be a route I'd appreciate.

Just my 2 cents anyway. Besides, though my father was a retiree, I am one that just doesn't see ht eneed to "flaunt" my veteran status.

As long as it is voluntary I see no problem. It is no different then putting it on your license plate deal.
edit on 15-9-2012 by Terminal1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
I’m more conspiracy minded. This sounds like an easy way for them to more quickly identify the ‘domestic terrorists’.

No thanks! I’ll buy my own coffee.

Now if they turned half the handicapped parking spaces into VETERAN parking spaces I might go for it!

They already know who and where you are if you are retired or receive any sort of benefit at all be it a VA loan for a house or whatever. They send me # all the time MAJ (ret) USAA, MOAA, VFW, NRA, etc., someone sells the lists to advertisers and marketers. I think the government does they are making money selling our names and addresses to companies who market to veterans.

Did you file your DD214 at the courthouse just in case you lose it in a fire or whatever?

As for buying my own coffee – I always tell them I am a retired Major not a Private… I’m good. Here’s your dollar.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Terminal1 As long as it is voluntary I see no problem. It is no different then putting it on your license plate deal

I agree with you 100% - I don't flaunt my retired status I live in a town with a polulation of 200.

No one flaunts anything - my neighbors know when I get a package from FedEx. Let alone my veteran status.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Golf66

Originally posted by collietta
reply to post by Golf66

I found this U.S. Veteran Compensation Programs

Is this what you have or is it a DOD Uniformed Services ID card of some kind - I am curious?

I have a card that says Department of Veteran affairs and a bar code on the side of the front and my photo. On the back it says it's not a health insurance card, credit card, etc.. and some phone numbers and a credit card-bar like swipe.
It doesn't really mention that I got it at the VA hospital.

Edit:
I forgot to mention that when I got the card they said I didn't have to have any claims or disability percentage, and that any veteran can get their ID card from them.
edit on 15-9-2012 by collietta because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

They already know who and where you are if you are retired or receive any sort of benefit at all be it a VA loan for a house or whatever. They send me # all the time MAJ (ret) USAA, MOAA, VFW, NRA, etc., someone sells the lists to advertisers and marketers. I think the government does they are making money selling our names and addresses to companies who market to veterans.

Not retired….served from 96’ – 04’ and voluntarily separated. I don’t use any VA benefits. I had a VA loan on my first home but that was about it.

I know the info is out there but I don’t want to make it even easier by having it stamped on my DL - Just a personal preference.

Did you file your DD214 at the courthouse just in case you lose it in a fire or whatever?

Actually I did. I remember them telling me to do that during my seps class and it was one of the first things I did when I got home. Again, I know the info is out there but the cop who pulls me over doesn’t have this info readily available nor does the person at the bank when I open an account or cash my paycheck, etc. My mailman certainly knows my veteran status but my neighbors likely do not.

As for buying my own coffee – I always tell them I am a retired Major not a Private… I’m good. Here’s your dollar.

Well I worked for a living….but luckily I don’t drink much coffee!

(edit to add) SIR!

edit on 15-9-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Here in Michigan I get my disabled veteran plate for only five dollars a year. There is nothing on our actual liscence but any cop who pulls me over can se right away that I am a disabled veteran by the plate. I think this is just a way to keep track and identify the 'potential domestic terrorists' to cops when making traffic stops. I think it will help in some situations but the potential for abuse is pretty high in my opinion.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
Well I worked for a living….but luckily I don’t drink much coffee!

(edit to add) SIR!

edit on 15-9-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

Well, I was a SFC before I sold my soul. That and I had to go to the Q course twice - which is enough for four lifetimes of BS busy work.

Also, one could argue that as an SF Officer I worked for a living - no one on a team sits back when things are loaded, moved, positions dug etc... However, that would be only as a Captain.

After making Major - I don't think I lifted anything other than my own weapon or ruck. Actually, I hardly ever needed a ruck after making field grade. At least other than moving it from the vehicle to a building and back.

I did an exchange with the Brits as a Major - I was assigned a "bat-man". That's not the offical term its what he called himself. He lived behind quarters in a small place. He answered my phone, ran my (offical) errands, drove me to and from work, and basically anything I wanted. I guess this is the norm in the British Military for field grade officers - I felt really uncomfortable with it. He was basically what we would call my driver or RTO. Its not like an aide for Generals etc.

However, with that curse of RHIP comes a mountain of political BS and paperwork - I would take a good hard day at the motor pool/cleaning weapons/detail over that any day.

Sometimes, I think I made a mistake taking a commission - but that day is never payday you can rest assured of that. I make more in retirement pay than I made while on active duty with BAQ as an E7.

And in SF it was always first name basis unless you were in trouble even then it was usually a first name chew out - followed by a hug.

edit on 15/9/2012 by Golf66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

The government will never say, "We're doing this so we can track you."

They will always couch their laws in terms where there are "benefits".

Frankly, a DD214 should suffice for a cup of coffee. I would be very suspect of laws like this.

In my humble opinion.
edit on 15-9-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Either way you see it, the government has information on you from one source or another. IMO, the driver license just makes it easier rather than carry around that dd-214. I got it put on my driver license.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by Golf66

The government will never say, "We're doing this so we can track you."

They will always couch their laws in terms where there are "benefits".

Frankly, a DD214 should suffice for a cup of coffee. I would be very suspect of laws like this.

In my humble opinion.

I know enough to know they can already find all the veterans fairly quickly if they wanted to.

Me, I am on the retired list as you will be someday as well. One inquiry to the bank into which you get your check and they have your current address. Tricare will always know your address...unless you are not intending to use retiree healthcare. While the local authorities may not know your status - DOD (therefore DHS also) does for sure.

If you will not need any retirement bennies in please let me know I'll shoot you U2U my routing and account numbers for the bank forms.

I see it as a feel good thing for those who don't have a means (retiree or VA card) of proof other than the 8x11 DD214.

As long as it remains voluntary – I’ll give them the benefit of a doubt. I do concede that the potential exists for abuse.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

I'm short (double-digit) now. DEERS has my info as well as everyone else.

I just wouldn't make it easier for them.

ETA; you'd have to fight the wife for that!
She feels more entitled to it than I.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
nope, that's not good
I mean ,....now....the timing of it...
to get a 10 % discount at the home depot you have to have military id or the dd-214 paper is what that is....8 x 11..
to have that on the dl.....means they have their precious info on how to handle a traveler at the checkpoint. the point of sale....the location of where that info is readily seen on the id.....no thank you, please

edit on 15-9-2012 by GBP/JPY because: Yahuweh ...coolest of names

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join