It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Romney out of touch...thinks middle income is $200,000 - $250,000 per year

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

... the Republicans I know are voting for Romney while HOLDING THEIR NOSES.
They dont' like him at all .. they don't have lawn signs out .. they don't have
bumper stickers .. they didn't get excited about the convention ... they simply
don't like the man but they are voting for him because he's 'less bad' than Obama.

I hate to break it to you .... well, that's not true ... I'm enjoying breaking it to you ...

That's OK, I hope you are feeling better!!

I know the hard core GOP/Right Wing fundamentalist faction can't wait to vote for their wealthy divine one because they hate the ***** in the whitehouse. Will the RINOS and moderates even bother going to the polls?

And do you think those that are bailing on the traditional parties and opting for a third party like G. Johnson will throw the election to Obama anyway? I do.... but I'm still leaning to the Libertarian and Johnson even though I have no illusions he has a snowballs chance in hell of getting the presidency. It's a protest vote and at least Gary has a feel for the American working man of which class I belong. Union man SAG/AFTRA and proud of it!!

I do have the potential to get up in that 250k range and I would consider myself wealthy but I still wouldn't vote for this current crop of Republicans.

edit on 15-9-2012 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
The dude is just not in touch with reality.

I made a great 6 figures before the market tanked in 07/08. Now I struggle to pay my car payment and electric bill...Romney may like wealth, but I do not think he understands what causes it....he was born into it and he does not know how to create it...he can talk all he wants..but he has fail all over his words.

Obama doesn't get it either.....

what creates wealth?....freedom....thats what. freedom to pursue your crazy ideas....be free with me....

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
As I recall, in a speech Obama gave about a month ago, he specifically said "Middle Class" isn't about money, it's about your values and how good you feel, or words to that effect. Of course, he's completely full of BS on that but in any case, that's what he said.

Lower the bar far enough and everybody fits into "middle class", even homeless, jobless folks. Of course, I can't find the quote online anywhere because it's a blatantly stupid thing to say so the press buried it but I heard it with my own ears.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Here's what Romney actually said:

"No one can say my plan is going to raise taxes on middle-income people, because principle number one is (to) keep the burden down on middle-income taxpayers," Romney told host George Stephanopoulos.

"Is $100,000 middle income?" Stephanopoulos asked.

"No, middle income is $200,000 to $250,000 and less," Romney responded.

It's a reference to Obama's tax-plan. Obama had previously referred to raising taxes on those making $250K or more, which will pinch a lot of small business owners.

Romney is simply saying that he isn't going to raise taxes on those making less than $250K.

Good job buying into the hit piece guys.

Deny ignorance and all that.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenGlassDoor

Well that’s a new one.

How exactly was the interview a hit piece?

Please do explain.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by sensfan
In an interview airing on Good Morning America this morning, Romney was asked if the middle income of Americans is $100,000, to which re replied.."No, middle income is $200,000 to $250,000".

Is this guy serious? Is he so out of touch that he really thinks that is what the middle or average income is in the country he wants to be leader of? In fact, the middle income is only around $50,000 but I guess when you are worth billions, the difference between 50 grand and 250 grand isn't that much.

Romney out of touch...AGAIN

You do realize you have no clue about statistics or the useage of the term middle income right? Median income is $50k, that has nothing to do with what "middle income" means. Middle income has nothing to do with mean or median income of US families. Romney is correct, 200-250k is Middle income. Learn the difference in what the terms mean and maybe you will understand the truth.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by sensfan

Dear sensfan,

I did not read all of the reply's; but we can look at it in one of two ways, it is either a statistical question or a philosophical one. If we are looking for an average then we can use mean, mode, median or midrange. There is no single statistical choice. We can take the total of all income earned a year; but, the government only includes wage earners and not people who made their money from investments.

Historically, the middle class were the shopkeepers, managers and skilled trades. We consider their lifestyle to be the middle class lifestyle. From 1950 to 1960 those people had homes and families, could afford to have one parent live at home and retire, they were the people who kept this country going and determined the direction it went in. To have that lifestyle today, a person would have to make $200,000 a year in New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles and many other places.

Statistically we can determine a "middle" class; but, each method for calculating it will result in drastically different numbers. Mr. Romney is correct, there are working stiffs and the wealthy. The one's who have to work but make a lot are the new middle class and he likes it that way. He said his is the party of those who want to be rich. I should point out that I don't care for Romney or Obama, I gave up on politicians when they all sold out.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by FidelityMusic
reply to post by Q33323

Are you kidding me? You must have grown up in a high income family, I'd consider 100K to be real wealthy. If my mom was making at least $10,000 more a year, putting her in the upper $20K range on 3 people we'd barely make it, but at least make it. Right now we're not making it, and she's still pulling through.

My family makes over $100k a year and live in a 3 bedroom 1800sqft house in a decent neighborhood in a middle class town. We are so far removed from wealthy it is not even funny. Romney is right, over 100k a yr is certainly not upper class.

Here is a hint, most Doctors are upper middle class. They are not upper class.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grimpachi

Well that’s a new one.

How exactly was the interview a hit piece?

Please do explain.

Nice try. The interview wasn't. It's article that is a derivative of a derivative of a derivative.

Read the OP, the article, the article behind the article, the original story, which isn't even the original interview!

The hit piece is taking something four-steps removed from the original.

A nice ol' game of "telephone" like back in elementary school.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   

If you can't answer that’s fine.

I watched the video so what you call a hit piece I would call an epic screw-up.

Patato Patoto.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Middle income is somewhere in there.

Eye of the beholder I guess.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

I have a similar background, but neither parents are professionals, they just worked up the chain about as far as they can go without degrees. Romney is right. Let's all just cut through the crap, do any of these people REALLY think that Romney believes someone making 180k a year are poor? They just have to grasp on to this ridiculousness to feed the narrative that Romney is out of touch. The real ridiculousness is how much nothing the Obama fans want to make this election about when there are so many real substantive problems. I'd be more frightened of a Presidential candidate saying 70k a year (is rich as have many online after Romney's interview) as opposed to one that supposedly thinks that 180k is poor.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Question for anyone that can answer.

Where in the interview did Romney say he was talking about family income?

If someone can point that out he would make a lot more sense

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by sensfan

Let me see. Hmm. Let's do the math shall we.

A family of 4 lives is a nice town not great. Let's say Valdosta GA.

Mortgage on a 200k home is $1600 a month.
Car payment on 2 cars that will not last 5 year. $700 a month
Food for the family of 4 $600 a month no dining out.
Electric, gas and water Average $450 a month
Gas to drive to and from work $480 a month
Insurance for cars and home: $200 a month
Home phone, internet and cable $99 a month triple play!
Cell phone that work will not reimburse but expects you to have $189 a month
Grooming and maintenance $100 a month all 4.
Maintenance on cars $60 a month
Medical or health budget $150 a month
Dental budget $100 a month
Clothing for all 4 $150 a month
Daycare, babysitter and after school care $700 a month
$4500 on credit card because of emergencies $250 a month

Grand total: $5828 per month in hard costs

Now comes the good part:

X mas presents for family and kids and such $1200 a year mostly cloths and needed things
Go out to eat 1 x a week family of 4 for $50 a week or $200 a month.

Family of 4 making a 100k salary combined: $8666 per month
Salary after taxes and medical plan $5985.

Remember when the car or the house has an issue the budget is blown so it goes on credit cards.

Now this is an average family in America who is considered rich in Valdosta. They are good friends of mine and struggle to keep things above water. Before you strike Mr. Romney's statement I would suggest you do the math first. 50k a year is not middle class at all. It is just surviving. God bless and hope it helps.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
To deny that 100k falls into middle income and then go on to say that middle income is 200-250k or less means that to Romney anything under the ~100k range is considered poverty, and anything about ~100k to 200-250k or less is considered middle class.

It doesn't matter how you slice it, this guy is out of touch.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
If anyone is interested here is the census bureau web site.

quickfacts.census.gov...

It has all the Middle income statistics for the country and more .

If you are interested in facts.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by xEphon
To deny that 100k falls into middle income and then go on to say that middle income is 200-250k or less means that to Romney anything under the ~100k range is considered poverty, and anything about ~100k to 200-250k or less is considered middle class.

It doesn't matter how you slice it, this guy is out of touch.

Bingo.
ding ding ding we have a winner.

Disclaimer:This is my opinion based on fact and polls it may not apply for all minds.

edit on 16-9-2012 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
It's probably worth posting that Romney said, "middle income is $200,000 to $250,000 and less.” Which is correct.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by xEphon

I'm going to pretend for a minute that you're right and Romney is out of touch. And? If a person is making 50k they pay less taxes under Romney's plan than Obama's. Who cares how he classifies these things conceptually as long as he gets the policy right?

Oh but I forgot. Theoretically, in order to pay for the 20% across the board higher income tax cuts Romney would have to not only renege on his pledge to cut lower income taxes by 20% but would also have to raise taxes 2k a person. Never said that's his plan, has indicated exactly the opposite, but he's out of touch and because he's out of touch, he'll do that, and why's he out of touch? because he'll do that. and why will he do that? because he's out of touch.

The whole practice of making this election about which guy I think would be funner at a BBQ is wearing thin, and becoming insulting. Even during the Bush Kerry election that was more or less a background noise stat which was dwarfed by the debate on the war and economy. Now it comprises Obama's entire case for reelection.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   

I don't think there are a many "Have Nots" that will vote to protect the old tax cuts for the "Haves"

Except thats the Republican platform, and you dont need to be a middle income person, or above, in order to be brainwashed into that sort of thinking. There are many many many, people without means to provide for themself that would still believe rich need more tax cuts.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14 >>

join