It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'US ambassador killed' in Libya protest - live updates

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
'We came, we saw, he died'.

You reap what you sow.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Peter Dow

US ambassador 'killed in Libya'.

US consulate Benghazi stormed.

4 US officials "dead"

BBC: US ambassador 'killed in Libya'
The US ambassador to Libya has died after being attacked by militiamen storming the US consulate in the eastern city of Benghazi, reports say.

I am shocked and horrified at this if it is confirmed and my sincere condolences to our American friends and loved ones.

This incident confirms my concerns that diplomatic missions in "war-on-terror" countries are not being properly secured by being located in properly secured and defended military bases.

This reminds me of the storming of a UN base in Mazar-e-Sharif when 7 UN workers were killed in April 2011. The guy responsible at the time for UN security - Gregory B. Starr, the United Nations Under-Secretary-General for Safety and Security, is an American who used to be employed as the person responsible for the security of US diplomatic bases.

I have further concerns that the US & NATO countries' military these days lack the military knowledge and competence even to able to secure our military bases. Bases can't be properly secured in or near an urban area. You need a security zone of cleared and controlled ground of at least 6 miles, but 10 miles is better, around a military base to keep enemy fire from rockets and mortars out of range.

If you don't control the ground around a base this happens - 3 were killed at Bagram Air Base, Afghanistan yesterday.

Afghanistan Attacks: Insurgents Attack Bagram Air Base

KABUL, Afghanistan -- Afghan insurgents bombarded a U.S. base and destroyed a NATO helicopter, killing three Afghan intelligence employees, officials said Tuesday. There were also NATO personnel aboard and wounded, the coalition said without providing further details.

We've been at war in Afghanistan for nearly 11 years now and still the US and NATO military are operating out of insecure bases! Our supply routes in Afghanistan have never been secured and recently a decision by NATO-ISAF (commanded by a US general) was taken to close bases along the main highways in Afghanistan making the roads even more insecure.

The military and security leaders we are depending on to keep our personnel safe during this war on terror are incompetent and our diplomats would be well advised to have no faith in them. If I was a diplomat in a country with security problems I would quit and come home until we get proper military and security people in charge.

So there is a pattern here of incompetence at the very highest levels of leadership in the United States, NATO and the United Nations.

The people in charge are incompetent and this is very serious folks. We need urgent action to get competent people in post. We need a shake up at the highest levels of government on the military and security side especially. This can't be allowed to go on.

Check out my AfPak military strategy blog -
Afghanistan – Pakistan (AfPak) military strategy and the war on terror
edit on 12-9-2012 by Mr Peter Dow because: (no reason given)

More talking points for Romney as he takes on the responsibillity to,

shake up at the highest levels of government

As you put it.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

Of course Obama should be criticized...

However there is a time and place for everything. You dont criticise the President in a situation like this in the manner Romney did.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

Originally posted by OneisOne
FYI.....

President Obama will "address the situation in Libya" at 10:35am EST.

And apparently Hillary Clinton will be there too.

Im watching Romneys speech now and all I can say he needs to shut the hell up. As I said I dont care for Obama but Romney's use of certain words is sending an opposite message that the President is sending.

Its so completely inappropriate and deadly and I dont think he is understanding that.

He essentially just told those who wish to do harm to the US to do it now while Obama is still in office because once Romney gets elected (if he does) things will change.

It looks the Obama plan to appear weak has failed.

Embassies in Egypt and Libya are under attack!

This just shows the radical islamists were on a hair trigger.

Long live the Arab Spring?

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012

edit on 9/12/2012 by Sergeant Stiletto because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   

reply to post by Golf66

However there is a time and place for everything. You dont criticise the President in a situation like this in the manner Romney did.

So.....of course Obama should be criticized.....but not when it does political damage to Obama.

Mitt Romney should keep quiet until after the election in November ???

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
So anybody watching the other hand while this little show is going on?

link   
President Obama speaking now....

live.reuters.com

link   

Originally posted by Eurisko2012

reply to post by Golf66

So.....of course Obama should be criticized.....but not when it does political damage to Obama.

No, but he should remain quiet long enough for the current president to handle the situation. Maybe at least 72 hours.Another good move might have been to offer support to the current leader in a time of crises, instead of attempting to make political gains right after the event happened.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by TinfoilTP
This is an act of War.

Plain and simple, no two ways about it. A US ambassador has been murdered during an attack on a US embassy.

It's time to send in the marines, and not 50 of them. Obama is looking like a coward for only sending 50 of them and he will lose the election because of this.

Could your response be any more predictable? Your reply pretty much vindicates what some of us in this thread have stated. The obligatory brainwashed tool calling for murder. Well done.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Ok...

You reap what you sow.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Americans please tell me, isn't killing children with drone strikes an act of war? thanks.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   

reply to post by Golf66

No, this ongoing situation shows exactly why he has no business being POTUS in the real world, only in make believe liberal utopia world.
Romney is attracted to what Obama shies away from, responsibility, and it shows the clear contrast in this situation.
Confronting the President is his responsibility.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
damm muslims.. u need to get urselfs under control

this is all over a frikin movie... who cares

crzy religious fanatics they all need to be put down

ITS OVER A MOVIE MAKE BELIEVE

AND THERE STUPID ENPOUGH TO KILL PEOPLE THAT DIDNT MAKE THE MOVIE

IDIOTS

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
So have these people actually waited for the 11th(of September) to do this attack?....

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Any one watch the live feed and here the last question that a Reporter shouted.

Is this a act of war?

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Eurisko2012

Let me put it this way...

Do not use the death of Americans for the sole purpose of political expediency - regardless of political affiliation.
edit on 12-9-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by TinfoilTP

Geez, step away from the party line for one minute...

Did you hear Obama's speech just now? He said "justice would be done". Considering he bagged Bin Laden ( or faked it real good LOL!) I kind of beleive him.

It's soooo unseemly and arrogant how people are making this about U.S. domestic politics, it's a freaking international situation with a lot of players and, at the very least, the U.S. needs to show a united front.

Of course we sadly haven't been the UNITED States since 2008...

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by JValhalla
Any one watch the live feed and here the last question that a Reporter shouted.

Is this a act of war?

Ghangis Khan annihilated the entire Persian Empire for violating his emissary by only cutting his mustache off.

Representatives of a Nation .....guess what they do..... they represent a Nation. Killing an Ambassador is an attack on a Nation.

You bet this is an Act of War.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join