It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'US ambassador killed' in Libya protest - live updates

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Acidtastic

Originally posted by TinfoilTP
This is an act of War.

Plain and simple, no two ways about it. A US ambassador has been murdered during an attack on a US embassy.

It's time to send in the marines, and not 50 of them. Obama is looking like a coward for only sending 50 of them and he will lose the election because of this.
an eye for an eye leaves everyone blind.

Get ready for a Romney Presidency.
It will be easier than Reagan's landslide after the way he is responding to this.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   

This is an act of War.

Plain and simple, no two ways about it. A US ambassador has been murdered during an attack on a US embassy.

It's time to send in the marines, and not 50 of them. Obama is looking like a coward for only sending 50 of them and he will lose the election because of this.

Great. War. Against WHO exactly? Their own government has denounced the attacks. The new Libyan government is still forming, it is ruled by militias. So we go in there with 20,000 men, and then what? Who do we go after? Has any group even claimed responsibility for this? I agree that if there was a government behind this attack, we should go to war. But this is a clan, not even a clan, a mob. So once again, WHO do you go after? With 20,000 sets of boots on the ground, we are only a bigger juicier target.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by sad_eyed_lady
reply to post by GD21D

Bigotry? Here's Hillary bragging about killing Gaddafi - and our ambassador and three other Americans murdered by the rebels we helped assume power:
Yep, I said it. Bigotry. The rebels who killed those U.S. representatives, Hillary Clinton, George Bush, Dick Cheney, everyone calling for mass bombings killing innocent civilians, the leadership of Israel, the leadership of Iran, a good portion of the Christian faith, a good portion of the Islamic faith, the KKK, the Muslim Brotherhood. Bigots

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by capone1
The US is sending troops to Lybia, Fox News is reporting.

So it begins...
edit on 12-9-2012 by capone1 because: (no reason given)

Please dont use a general statement to turn the action into something its not.

The US is sending Marines to the Embassy in Libya to secure it.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   

This is an act of War.

no it isnt.....this is a standard case of naivety....it is a joke that this happened in benghazi...the most secure place for foregin aiders.....a bit of a slap in the face
2 points...this would not of happened under gaddafi and... you already had war with them...

this our standard american mistakes....we send our troops and servants out there....then we allow muggish people to sabotage them....who is the mug that made this film and why show it to arabs first????

this needs tact...we need to know who we are helping and what the long term effects are....
edit on 12-9-2012 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by steppenwolf86

This is an act of War.

Great. War. Against WHO exactly? Their own government has denounced the attacks. The new Libyan government is still forming, it is ruled by militias. So we go in there with 20,000 men, and then what? Who do we go after? Has any group even claimed responsibility for this? I agree that if there was a government behind this attack, we should go to war. But this is a clan, not even a clan, a mob. So once again, WHO do you go after? With 20,000 sets of boots on the ground, we are only a bigger juicier target.

It reminds me of the investigation on the murder of Franz ferdinand..When Austria didn't got their answers they began the war..If barack wants to get reelected he must do something similar..

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by steppenwolf86

This is an act of War.

That's exactly how Carter handled it and he even had hostages as a target to rescue, but failed miserably to respond to the situation.

He could put thousands of marines on the US soil that is the Embassy and defend it.
The message he is giving is that every US embassy is open season for the scum of the earth to attack with zero repercussion.

The Russians must be laughing right now. They would be defending their embassies and ambassadors if it was them.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Mitt Romney comes across as a vulture circling the dead body of the U.S. Ambassador to Libya.

There's a time and a place for politics and this is not it.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by OneisOne
FYI.....

President Obama will "address the situation in Libya" at 10:35am EST.

And apparently Hillary Clinton will be there too.

Im watching Romneys speech now and all I can say he needs to shut the hell up. As I said I dont care for Obama but Romney's use of certain words is sending an opposite message that the President is sending.

Its so completely inappropriate and deadly and I dont think he is understanding that.

He essentially just told those who wish to do harm to the US to do it now while Obama is still in office because once Romney gets elected (if he does) things will change.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
One of the talking heads on the news made an interesting observation and a very good point. In a situation like this we should be speaking as one nation - the the Republic comes first. For some reason Romney is wading into the situation by criticising Obamas foreign policy failures in the M.E. She made the comment that we do not need 2 leaders giving conflicting messages - as much as I dislike President Obama she is correct.

Obama deserves to be criticized - he is incompetent at best his decision to go into Libya without any consultation of the congress was unconstitutional and illegal. Add to that hypocritical since he condemned such actions by Bush then did it himself.

Finally, Mitt Romney is not a "leader" other than in spirit - he holds no elected public office in the US at this time. he has the right and responsibility to criticize the Bungler-in-Chief.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
And what would happen if US embassies around the world turn into fortified bunkers and trigger a similar response in say...Iran, Lebanon?
edit on 12-9-2012 by Foppezao because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Apparently they failed to understand attacking an embassy under intrnational law is an act of war. I say, since they declared it, we finish it.

edit on 12-9-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

reply to post by Xcathdra

Americans talking about 'acts of wars' hahahahahhahahahaha
edit on 12/9/2012 by GLaDOS because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Im watching Romneys speech now and all I can say he needs to shut the hell up. As I said I dont care for Obama but Romney's use of certain words is sending an opposite message that the President is sending.

Its so completely inappropriate and deadly and I dont think he is understanding that.

He essentially just told those who wish to do harm to the US to do it now while Obama is still in office because once Romney gets elected (if he does) things will change.

I completely agree! It annoyed the crap out of me to listen/watch to it. But if I wanted to know what he said rather than read other's interpretations I needed to watch it. My take was the same as your's. He needed to shut up!

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
All educated participants on this board will of course realize that such events are well planned "in advance" and "agreed upon" by all concerned and that conspiracy theories most of the time are used a red-herring tool.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   

US ambassador 'killed in Libya'.

US consulate Benghazi stormed.

4 US officials "dead"

BBC: US ambassador 'killed in Libya'
The US ambassador to Libya has died after being attacked by militiamen storming the US consulate in the eastern city of Benghazi, reports say.

I am shocked and horrified at this if it is confirmed and my sincere condolences to our American friends and loved ones.

This incident confirms my concerns that diplomatic missions in "war-on-terror" countries are not being properly secured by being located in properly secured and defended military bases.

This reminds me of the storming of a UN base in Mazar-e-Sharif when 7 UN workers were killed in April 2011. The guy responsible at the time for UN security - Gregory B. Starr, the United Nations Under-Secretary-General for Safety and Security, is an American who used to be employed as the person responsible for the security of US diplomatic bases.

I have further concerns that the US & NATO countries' military these days lack the military knowledge and competence even to able to secure our military bases. Bases can't be properly secured in or near an urban area. You need a security zone of cleared and controlled ground of at least 6 miles, but 10 miles is better, around a military base to keep enemy fire from rockets and mortars out of range.

If you don't control the ground around a base this happens - 3 were killed at Bagram Air Base, Afghanistan yesterday.

Afghanistan Attacks: Insurgents Attack Bagram Air Base

KABUL, Afghanistan -- Afghan insurgents bombarded a U.S. base and destroyed a NATO helicopter, killing three Afghan intelligence employees, officials said Tuesday. There were also NATO personnel aboard and wounded, the coalition said without providing further details.

We've been at war in Afghanistan for nearly 11 years now and still the US and NATO military are operating out of insecure bases! Our supply routes in Afghanistan have never been secured and recently a decision by NATO-ISAF (commanded by a US general) was taken to close bases along the main highways in Afghanistan making the roads even more insecure.

The military and security leaders we are depending on to keep our personnel safe during this war on terror are incompetent and our diplomats would be well advised to have no faith in them. If I was a diplomat in a country with security problems I would quit and come home until we get proper military and security people in charge.

So there is a pattern here of incompetence at the very highest levels of leadership in the United States, NATO and the United Nations.

The people in charge are incompetent and this is very serious folks. We need urgent action to get competent people in post. We need a shake up at the highest levels of government on the military and security side especially. This can't be allowed to go on.

Check out my AfPak military strategy blog -
Afghanistan – Pakistan (AfPak) military strategy and the war on terror
edit on 12-9-2012 by Mr Peter Dow because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by antar
How many times are they going to say how the President of Libya did not condone this act.

They expect to bring the criminals to justice?

The attack on 2 US missions and the death of an Ambassador / assistants / military guards could easily cause a rift between the US and Libya. If that is a possibility then we could see a 3d party involvement designed to pit the US / Libya against each other.

There was an incident on the Afghan / Pakistan border where US and Pakistani troops fired on each other and caused deaths. One of the possibilities explored was the possibility the Taliban were able to attack both / one or the other without the US / Pakistan realizing it.

This might be a possibility here....

link   
reply to post by OneisOne

What's also so pathetic is that he didn't even come across as comfortable or confident in doing it, it's not in his nature. Obviously it was spurred by some extremely poor political advisement.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
stirrin' up the pot....be interesting to see who america is now gunna bomb....i havent read all the pages in all the threads but has america tied this directly to an iranian terrorist group funded by seceret funds from the iranian govt yet?? or maybe syria?..but that said, with obamas 'snubbing' of isreal wanting some kind of hard stance on iran.....puase for effect...................... somethings gotta happen fast..we are running out of time before 12/21/2012...

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBlood
It makes a mockery of the entire islamic religion..

I don't care. It's not an excuse to attack an embassy and kill people.
Kinda proves the point of the film ... how sadly ironic..

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

If you are looking for 3rd party involvement, it's quite clear who benefits from unrest in the Middle East...I'm not saying that's what has definitely happened in this case, but it's highly coincidental that these attacks come as the administration is backing away from Israel's hard-line position toward war with Iran.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join