It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'US ambassador killed' in Libya protest - live updates

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

The film excuse is weak.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by OneisOne
I just read this on Al Jazeera's website and if true, it really troubles me.

If someone can disprove this is what was said, I would be thankful.

This is a snippet posted from Wanis al-Sharif, the Libyan deputy interior minister.

Addressing a press conference, Sharif blamed loyalists of former Libyan ruler Muammar Gaddafi for the attack, while stressing that the US should have removed its personnel from the country when news of the film's release broke.

"They are to blame simply for not withdrawing their personnel from the premises, despite the fact that there was a similar incident when [al-Qaeda second-in-command and Libyan citizen] Abu Yahya al-Libi was killed. It was necessary that they take precautions. It was their fault that they did not take the necessary precautions," he said.
www.aljazeera.com

"It was their fault that they did not take the necessary precautions"

Did he really say that? That's my question.

And just to note, he's also the one that stated:

members of the Libyan security team seem to have indicated to the protesters the building to which the American officials had been relocated, and that building then came under attack.
cbsnews.com

Whoa! Great find! I just wonder how true it is.

JT

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

This is a snippet posted from Wanis al-Sharif, the Libyan deputy interior minister.

Addressing a press conference, Sharif blamed loyalists of former Libyan ruler Muammar Gaddafi for the attack, while stressing that the US should have removed its personnel from the country when news of the film's release broke.

"They are to blame simply for not withdrawing their personnel from the premises, despite the fact that there was a similar incident when [al-Qaeda second-in-command and Libyan citizen] Abu Yahya al-Libi was killed. It was necessary that they take precautions. It was their fault that they did not take the necessary precautions," he said.
www.aljazeera.com

members of the Libyan security team seem to have indicated to the protesters the building to which the American officials had been relocated, and that building then came under attack.
cbsnews.com

More precautions?

Okay then, the new and improved embassy will have an electric fence and 500 U.S. Marines.

----------
It was an easy target so the Muslim Brotherhood took it out.

Where will they strike next?

Who is in charge? We kill Al Qeada with drones. Should we go after the Muslim Brotherhood?

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Ive been watching CNN for a bit and they are now saying their "sources" are telling them that the US will be sending drones to Libya again.

ETA - Fox is also saying that Zawahiri was seen at the protests in Libya
edit on 12-9-2012 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Pardon my interjection here,

What exactly does this mean?

This is not a declaration of war, sounds like a mob got out of hand. Are the Marines just to secure the embassies?

link   

We'll have to see how this plays out...

I find it hard to believe that this was a planned terrorist attack, but anything is possible.
Why would they cover up a terrorist attack ? IMO it would just boost support for another war, wouldn't it ?

Whatever the real reason, it's a disgusting and cowardly attack.
It's a ridiculous movie anyway and most of the people I know (in Egypt) had more of a "WTF" reaction than an angry one.

I would also like to know what were the people who funded / created / directed this movie thinking, really (it's such a crappy movie and crappy acting...).

link   

Originally posted by ragingeagles

The film excuse is weak.

Yes, but it would not look to good on Obama's shoulders that even though he hangs
his hat on taking out bin Laden, we have an attack on an American Embassy on the
anniversary of 9/11 by none other than the leader of Al Queda himself.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by buni11687
Ive been watching CNN for a bit and they are now saying their "sources" are telling them that the US will be sending drones to Libya again.

Oh great! More - leaks- from the White House!

That's just what we need.

Let me guess. The reason for the leaks is to make Obama look tough on terrorism in

Libya? Here you go CNN........hot off the presses.......this is what we are doing.

- This must be an election year. -

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
The US needs to immediately apologize for bleeding all over the attackers. Worse yet is all the racket made by the US citizens as they were dying. ...all that screaming. Outrageous interuption of their religious activities. The US embassy is soveriegn territory of Allah not the US.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Greenblaz

www.aljazeera.com

cbsnews.com

Whoa! Great find! I just wonder how true it is.

JT

Well, if I was an ambassador under Obama right now, I would be drafting my resignation after witnessing this. He should be parking a flotilla of marines offshore, not 50 bullet catchers.

Too bad for all his supporters, they should be demanding more from him if they really want to see him get another term.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs
Pardon my interjection here,

What exactly does this mean?

This is not a declaration of war, sounds like a mob got out of hand. Are the Marines just to secure the embassies?

A mob out of hand ......in Libya...........also in Egypt? This was orchestrated by the

Muslim Brotherhood.

Now they are well funded with OUR U.S. taxdollars. Hillary gave them $1 Billion !

Well done Hillary!

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Update

CNN is claiming this was a planned attack, portrayed by Al-Qaeda, and that the protests were either a diversion, or used as a mask to disguise the true nature of the attack.

Here is the link, breaking news

The consulate was one of several American diplomatic missions in the Middle East to face protests Tuesday after the release online of a film mocking Islam and depicting the Muslim prophet Mohammed as a child molester, womanizer and ruthless killer.

But U.S. sources told CNN on Wednesday that the Benghazi attack was planned in advance, and the attackers used the protest outside the consulate as a diversion. The sources could not say whether the attackers instigated the protest or merely took advantage of it, and they say they don't believe Stevens was specifically targeted.

And the plot thickens...........

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
So, this is really fishy that our own Secretary of State Clinton is blaming some low budget
film, but Senate intelligence knows otherwise. Hmmmmm....

Fishy.

Senate intelligence member Bill Nelson :

A member of the Senate intelligence committee on Wednesday raised the possibility that attacks on U.S. diplomatic missions in the Middle East and North Africa this week were connected to al Qaeda.

Sen. Bill Nelson, Florida Democrat, said the attacks "have the markings of revenge by al Qaeda." He said they could be connected to the killing in June of Abu Yahya al-Libi, a top leader of the terrorist network.

"In light of Monday night's Internet-video statement by the head of al Qaeda, Ayman al-Zawahiri, who urged Libyans to attack Americans to avenge the recent death of al-Libi, I am asking my colleagues on the Senate intelligence committee to immediately investigate what role al Qaeda or its affiliates may have played in the attacks in Libya and Egypt, and to urge appropriate action," Mr. Nelson said in a statement.

www.washingtontimes.com...

Found the statement by Ayman al-Zawahri:

The leader of al-Qaeda confirmed the death of the group’s second-in-command, who was killed in a U.S. drone strike in northwestern Pakistan in June 2012.

In a video posted late Monday on militant websites, al-Qaeda chief Ayman al-Zawahri described his late lieutenant Abu Yahya al-Libi as a “lion of jihad and knowledge”.

The killing of al-Libi, who was Libyan by birth, was the biggest setback to al-Qaeda since the death of
Osama bin Laden.

Al-Zawahri also urged Libyans to attack Americans to avenge the late militant’s death, saying his “blood is calling, urging and inciting you to fight and kill the Crusaders.”

www.thehindu.com...

edit on 12-9-2012 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
The media lies are starting. They are saying that Ambassador Stevens died of suffocation due to smoke.

US Ambassador Killed in Libya

Stevens died of suffocation, while the three other personnel were killed by gunshot wounds, CBS News reports.

Now look at this picture of Stevens being dragged through the streets: The media claims this was an unconscious Stevens.

Look at his face. This man was beaten to death.
Plus, if he was unconscious his eyes wouldn't be open. He was already dead.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
So how is the Libyan embassy doing? still standing ?
edit on 12-9-2012 by Foppezao because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by afeent1
The media lies are starting. They are saying that Ambassador Stevens died of suffocation due to smoke.

US Ambassador Killed in Libya

Stevens died of suffocation, while the three other personnel were killed by gunshot wounds, CBS News reports.

Now look at this picture of Stevens being dragged through the streets: The media claims this was an unconscious Stevens.

Look at his face. This man was beaten to death.
Plus, if he was unconscious his eyes wouldn't be open. He was already dead.

The damage control team on MSNBC this morning was pathetic.

Report the news? Dream on! Spin ---Baby---Spin

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eurisko2012
This was orchestrated by the

Muslim Brotherhood.

Now they are well funded with OUR U.S. taxdollars. Hillary gave them $1 Billion !

Well done Hillary!

Yes, and she blames some low budget movie on the internet.
What a crock of lies!

I remember also during the Egypt protests that the Muslim Brotherhood was directly
involved in a jail fight that ended with a relocation of members, then ultimately the
were able to escape. Classic operations.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Foppezao
So how is the Libyan embassy doing? does it still stand?

They burned it to the ground.

It's my guess a new embassy will be built in Tripoli.

This time it will be built like a fortress.

We are expecting more attacks.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
So someone named Sam Bacile makes a derogatory film about Muhammad and Islam. Nobody really seems to have ever heard of him before this (try Googling him). Depending on the source he's either:

Israeli-American
Jewish but not Israeli
An Egyptian Coptic Christian ex-patriate
An Iranian
A young filmmaker
A 50-something Californian real estate developer
A 75 year old

He and the others who made the film allegedly claim that he raised $5 million from 100 Jewish families to make the movie.

He gets the same preacher behind the organized burning of the Quran to back him.

The film is allegedly only shown in its entirety ONCE, but trailers are released on YouTube and translated into Arabic by a translator hired by the filmmaker(s).

A reaction ensues in some predominantly Islamic countries which anyone could predict based on past reactions to anything derogatory of Muhammad or Islam.

American embassies are attacked, an ambassador is dead.

Some news media reports that the ambassador died of suffocation in his car but that everyone else in his car was shot.

All of this SHTF stuff just happened to come together to the boiling point on 9/11.

And even on ATS, there seem to be more people calling for war than are asking, "Huh, what just really happened? Who's behind the instigation and why?"

We're about as likely to ever know the real facts on this whole story as for 9/11 or the assassination of JFK. But the outcome is just as predictable as the reaction to the movie.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by afeent1

I disagree.

You can clearly see that his mouth and nose are black from breathing smoke.

They were blocked from any rescue attempt, or escape route. The attack started a fire inside the building, which caused the smoke and forced them to exit the more secured areas. If you also consider there as a major attack happening at the front door, with hundreds of people - I assume -, then it comes to no surprise that the only option they had was to get on the roof and wait for rescue.

Sadly, due to the laws of physics, smoke rises along with heat. If you are on the roof, and the building you are on top of is burning, then the smoke will surround you.

In the picture, it appears he is being dragged away from something, which is quite possibly a noble rescue attempt by some libyan citizens. The ambassador in question was very friendly towards Libya, and he stated several times he wanted to be there because he understood and loved the country, that could reflect the attempts to save him that some libyans tried.

The redness in his face - if he is still alive in that picture - were provably caused by coughing compulsively from the smoke in his lungs.

This is my analysis, I could be wrong.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join