It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Borders... A huge Problem / Illegal Immigration - How Would You Fix It ?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 11:20 PM
link   
If we don't do something we are just going to become a suburb of Mexico City.

*Attempting to be analytical*
1. many employers want them, they work cheap, no benefits
2. Illegals are economically desperate
3. Border is long and difficult to monitor

For certain types of jobs that Americans Truly won't do, as long as it's not just an excuse, some kind of green-card guest worker program might be used.
Would take serious monitoring [read costing money and staffing]

Border HAS to be more heavily patrolled, especially within 50 miles of cross-border cities and towns.

Mines in my opinion are unacceptable. These have created havoc around the world.

I personally don't object to shooting illegal aliens. The world is a tough place for everyone. If they get caught, they took their shot and lost. It's the breaks. I unlike some people don't feel i particularly owe anyone anything (with the possible exception of immediate family).

With 6 billion people on the face of the planet and uncontrolled birth-rates in Mexico and around the world, people become just a commodity. That includes us in the US. Outsourcing of jobs should give you a clue on that one.

I have a sick solution. It could be a new tourist attraction. "Hunting for Illegal Aliens". Guys would pay to ride in off-road vehicles armed with guns and take them out. I bet that could help pay for some extra border patrol too.

PS to Chuck Stevenson, I believe the reason we started a war with Mexico WAS to take the land. We are no saints.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 01:26 AM
link   
elevatedone,

You are asking for my ideas on how to fix this. I prefer to show you what I found out the gov. is putting in place because it is actually scarier than some of the "shoot them all on site" posts

XSi Deploys And Licenses Advanced Homeland Security Solutions Technologies
XS Network's Worldwide

XSi is an advanced, remote video network security solution designed to monitor and protect critical assets across wide areas and/or in multiple locations. With XSi, emergency personnel, both locally and remotely, can view live video with Microsoft's Windows Media 9/10 and control cameras via an Internet connection and immediately respond in a collaborative effort, across multiple jurisdictions, as a crisis unfolds.

"In New Mexico, we will place smart robotic camera systems throughout schools, train stations and tracks, courts and government buildings, highways, and state festivals and fairs to strengthen the overall feeling of security for the citizens.

Infrared cameras, like those used by soldiers in Operation Iraqi Freedom, have the ability to display vivid high-contrast video in absolute darkness, through fog and smoke and operate under extreme weather conditions. Within a few short years the camera network will be accessed from a multitude of devices for a myriad of reasons.

And this. Proxity Digital Networks Proposes Cyber Scout UAV To Monitor Borders
Cyber Aerospace proposes deterring such intrusions by using their Cyber Scout UAV to identify and/or neutralize potential terrorists.

The Cyber Scout is a 10 lb. UAV designed to carry a wide array of cameras, sensors, weapons, and instruments, that can perform surveillance in remote or dangerous locations, operate innovative reconnaissance, advanced video surveillance, and target acquisition.

I wonder if this is as scary as the poor, tired, huddled masses that come seeking the warm open arms of America.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 01:55 AM
link   
why not have the US army practise gaurding the border? would make a good thing for new recruits to get a taste of testing ID's and inspecting cars, all essential lately.
and wouldnt be as exspensive as a 25 million dollar super plane.

kix

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 03:45 PM
link   
The average pupolation Growth in Mexico has been 1.4 to 1.6 percernt the last 4 years and its declining, so that thing about population growth uncheqked is not true, in fact there are more Us citizens by birth every year than Mexicans (in 2000 the US population grew 3.3% percent!) now its back to 1 percent since the summer of 2003....

so....with a population of 101 million and between 8 to 16 million living in the states, dont you think those are important votes for BOTH sides of the border......

kix

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 03:57 PM
link   
excuse me Chuck Stevenson read this____

The Gadsden Purchase:
Odd Land Deal

The Gadsden Purchase was one of the most curious real estate deals in which Uncle Sam has ever taken part.

James Gadsden (1788-1858), whose name the purchase bears, was a grandson of Christopher Gadsden (1724-1805), a South Carolina Revolutionary soldier and statesman who was captured by the British at Charleston and confined as a prisoner for ten months at St. Augustine. James Gadsden soldiered for several years under General Andrew Jackson and it was he who seized the papers that led to the trial and execution of Robert C. Ambister and Alexander Arbuthnot in Florida in 1818, an incident that strained British-American diplomatic relations almost to the breaking point.

Gadsden was appointed by President Monroe as the commissioner in charge of placing the Seminole Indians on reservations. While living as a painter in Florida, he championed nullification and lost the patronage of President Jackson. He had long been interested in promoting railroads and upon his return to South Carolina in 1839 was chosen president of the South Carolina Railroad Company. His pet dream was to knit all Southern railroads into one system and then to connect it with a Southern transcontinental railroad to the Pacific, to make the West commercially dependent on the South instead of the North.

After engineers advised Gadsden that the most direct and practicable route for the Southern transcontinental railroad would be south of the United States boundary, he made plans to have the Federal Government acquire title to the necessary territory from Mexico. Through his friend and fellow empire dreamer, Secretary of War Jefferson Davis. Gadsden was appointed U.S. Minister to Mexico by President Franklin Pierce with instructions of his own design to buy from Mexico enough territory for a railroad to the Gulf of California.

It was a perfect setup. By the treaty of Guadalupe-Hidalgo, signed February 2, 1848, at the close of the Mexican War, the Republic of Mexico was compelled to abandon its claim to Texas and to cede to the United States the territory now comprising most of New Mexico, Arizona, California, Colorado, Utah and Nevada. The territory ceded to the United States by Mexico constituted about 200,000 square miles or two-fifths of all her territory.

In return for this vast territory, the United States gave $15,000,000 and assumed responsibility for paying $3,000,000 in claims of American citizens against the Mexican Government. A large body of public opinion in the United States had opposed the war against Mexico and felt that the Southern republic had been treated badly. The territory desired by Gadsden and his group was then a sort of no man's land, experiencing frequent Indian raids. The United States wanted to make certain "boundary adjustments"; Mexico needed money and wanted a settlement of her Indian claims against the United States; and Gadsden and his friends wanted a route for their railroad. In 1852 Gadsden agreed to pay Santa Anna $10,000,000 for a strip of territory south of the Gila River and lying in what is now southwestern New Mexico and southern Arizona.

Many Americans were not especially proud of the Guadalupe-Hidalgo Treaty and considered the price of the Gadsden Purchase as "conscience money." The Gadsden Purchase has an area of 45,535 square miles and is almost as large as Pennsylvania. This tract of nearly 30,000,000 acres cost Uncle Sam about thirty-three cents an acre.

The deal was so unpopular in Mexico that Santa Anna was unseated as dictator and banished. Gadsden was recalled as Minister to Mexico for mixing in Mexican politics and domestic affairs and did not live to see the Southern Pacific Railroad built through his purchase. When the inhabitants of Arizona asked Congress for a Territorial government in 1854, one of the names suggested for the new Territory was Gadsonia, a Latin adaptation of the surname of James Gadsden.

so basically Santa Anna was Bribed by the US and after he was spared his life in the battles in 1848, he was more an Agent of Monroe than a Mexican, to this day Santa Anna name is a sinonim of treason or traitor.

the wierd thing is that its called the Mexican Was, not the US Invasion, but hell history is always writen by those who win doesnt it?

Yes the territories where spanish, but Mexico was an independent republic from 1818 and 1821 (depending on technicalities), so....there you go, invasion, the real word for that war.

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 12:07 PM
link   
makeitso...

I agree that those are good "tools", but what good would there be in having a camera set up on our border.... all it's going to do is video tape the daily crossings into America...

I think we need more...

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 12:31 PM
link   
What we are doing now is not enough. And it is NOT right that pregnant illegals jump the border, give birth in our Country and then their child is legal so the parents are able to stay.

Living in California, I am fed up with the cost of illegals. When I was pregnant with one of my children, a law was passed by Grey Davis where prenatal care was going to be given to pregnant illegal aliens costing the tax payers 77 million dollars a year. I know that prenatal care is vital and I would not recommend anyone going without it, but I don't see justification for giving aid to someone who has broken the law to be here. To get the aid these people had to identify themselves as illegal so why didn't we just ship them back?

I'm sick of my tax money being used to support illegals.

Jemison

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 01:54 PM
link   
What should be done about it?

Try hiring more border patrol officers. Fifteen thousand border patrol officers protecting a country with borders as long as the US is a joke.

Give the border patrol a mere 10% of the DoD budget to purchase the equipment (UAVs, monitors, sensors, Hummers, fencing) and other supplies needed to do their job. The ageny is under staffed and way under budgeted.

Have all legal immigrants register their thumbprint in a data base only for use by employers, to check if a person is truely a citizen before allowing that person/company to hire them. This will stop all the "Well I didn't know his papers were fake!" complaints when the companies are tracked down that hire illegals.

Bring back random INS raids to work sites especially in cities. This alone will spread fear in the illegal comunities like a wildfire and would most likely at first shut down industries like construction and the food service industry so a moritorium against prosecution of employers would need to be set up to help companies convert to legal workers.

The INS has a policy to not go after illegals allready in Houston. The Houston Police Department will not arrest illegals. There formal policy is to treat illegals like citizens with the reason being if they started arresting illegals, they (the illegals) wouldn't report crime for fear of deportation. This would have to be stopped. All this turning the other cheek policy by local government does is increase local taxes to pay for things like health care and other services.

And last; Start inforcing current immigration laws! Our government needs to stop looking the other way and start using the laws that are on the books to enforce immigration policy.

We don't need more laws.

Shooting them is just nuts.

A wall would be something I'd look into if the above changes didn't solve the problem. That's something that most likely we'll never see unless the country became an all out war zone.

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I believe that we should go back to the old days of isolationism. Not so much total isolationism where we can't trade or don't know what is going on, but stop letting the entire world get into our dirty laundry. The problem at the borders can be easily fixed with the National Guard. They arfe being used in support of The War on Terrorism, well Homeland Security is on that list and the borders at home should be taken care of before the problems in Iraq or countries like Bosnia and Kosovo that have nothing to do with our security. I could go on and on about this topic but rather than rambling on, I will let someone else comment on this topic.

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by kix
Yes the territories where spanish, but Mexico was an independent republic from 1818 and 1821 (depending on technicalities), so....there you go, invasion, the real word for that war.

Kix, Native American Indiginous Person here. Let's look farther back. For at least 20,000 years the territories have been the Sovereign Property of the Indiginous Nations. And, surprise, Mexico is one of those Nations. The center of an ancient Alliance of Nations. The people we call 'Americans' today are visitors here, rather rude visitors, and never had our permission to alienate our lands or kill our People. They are welcome, as long as they behave themselves. The 'border' is an artificial construct created by pirates, it separates families who have migrated North and South with the seasons for millenia, and it fosters racism and fear where brotherhood and freedom should prevail. As Ronald Reagan said, TEAR DOWN THIS WALL. All Nations will become wealthier when we can trade and move in peace and freedom.

We welcome all men to live as brothers in peace, without fear.

LL1

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Guys have you forgotten? We (USA) have maxed out our credit.
(2 phase war led by bin Laden - "hit up their finances, suck them
dry") feeling the effects?

The Treasury is going to have to become real creative, and come up
with a grand idea to find money. INS (under DOJ) is not under the Pentagon's budget,
which just received $413B.

It takes money to hire more INS/Border Patrol personnel. We don't
need a tax increase to do this either. Nor do we have the money.
They are coming across the border, because they can, there are
more illegals hopping the border then INS personnel can handle.

First idea, we have to come up with find the $$$$, then hire more
INS personnel, then enforce the INS laws.
If we don't do this, watch them privatize the INS....
They are going to come back at you with, "don't like the illegals
crossing the border do you? We have no money to hire INS
personnel, how about we privatize".

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 09:20 PM
link   
We do have to be much firmer/harder on employers that supposedly unknowingly *wink* *wink* hire illegals.

LL1,
privatizing is NOT a good solution. How long till those under-paid over-worked private employees start taking bribes to let people cross the border?

We simply have to spend the money.

Additionally we have to look at illegal aliens as the criminals they are.
When we discover them in this country, report and deport them.

If an illegal alien has a child in this country the parents should be deported, and if they choose they can take their child with them.

We have to be as UNaccomadating as possible. Let them know they are not welcome if they are illegal. They are CRIMINALS.

LL1

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 09:32 PM
link   
"First idea, we have to come up with, find the $$$$, then hire more

personnel, how about we privatize"."

I'm not suggesting privatization, but watch the agenda that's
about to drop.
Whenever there are no other solutions to the troubles, the contracts
start to come promising to fix all the governmental problems.
Then watch who stands between the contracts, and their connections.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by LL1
Guys have you forgotten? We (USA) have maxed out our credit.
(2 phase war led by bin Laden - "hit up their finances, suck them
dry") feeling the effects?

The Treasury is going to have to become real creative, and come up
with a grand idea to find money. INS (under DOJ) is not under the Pentagon's budget,
which just received $413B.

It takes money to hire more INS/Border Patrol personnel. We don't
need a tax increase to do this either. Nor do we have the money.
They are coming across the border, because they can, there are
more illegals hopping the border then INS personnel can handle.

First idea, we have to come up with find the $$$$, then hire more
personnel, how about we privatize".

Unfortunately, this is how they chose to defend our homeland.....

Report: TSA gave managers lavish party, generous bonuses

"The TSA, which is in charge of airport security, also paid $3.75 for each soft drink, $1,850 for seven sheet cakes, $1,500 for three cheese displays, and more than $81,000 for awards plaques, according to the report from the department's Office of Inspector General."

www.cnn.com...

In all, this awards ceremony cost approximately $461,745, including lodging, transportation and per diem allowances for award recipients.

And, the average TSA executive bonus was $16,477, one-third more than the overall average of $12,444 for executives in other federal departments.

And of course, this was all for a job well done!!!

"The two-year period includes the time frame when the agency was set up, a TSA spokeswoman said Wednesday night. "Given the hours and productivity of the work force during this critical period, TSA believes the award expenditures were fully justified," she said."

Ummm....hate to say this, but the troops overseas are working just as hard and deserve an "award" also......how about they knock off the crap like this and get down to business and start sending them the equipment that they need to do their job!!!

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by dawnstar
Ummm....hate to say this, but the troops overseas are working just as hard and deserve an "award" also......how about they knock off the crap like this and get down to business and start sending them the equipment that they need to do their job!!!

I agree with you there.... do something for the troops...

shoot, for that matter, let's bring them home and let them guard / watch the borders...

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Elevated, I have noticed you havent really given an option.

What would you do? You did start the thread.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join