It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Organic food not much healthier: study

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Organic food not much healthier: study

www.ctvnews.ca

Eating organic fruits and vegetables can lower exposure to pesticides, including for children -- but the amount measured from conventionally grown produce was within safety limits

Read more: www.ctvnews.ca...
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 9/4/2012 by tothetenthpower because: --Mod Edit--Please use Exact Title for BAN submissions

+4 more 
posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Following some recent events that have unfolded regarding Organic Farms being raided it seems now that the War is being brought to the MSM. The Propaganda machine looks to be starting to turn towards down playing Organic Food and the ever increasing assault on our choices. For a Country so worried about Obesity it would seem there would be a much broader educational approach to food in general and not a smear campaign being waged towards Organic Foods. This is a disturbing trend and it doesn't seem to be getting any better.

www.ctvnews.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to [url= by hoochymama[/url]

yes organic is healthier for both the body and the planet.
it is too expensive and contrary to the nature of big business so I'm not surprised that, instead of spending $1mil to grow organically, these big companies would spend $999,999 to market organic as no more healthy than Monsanto-grown and sprayed frankenfoods

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
i was raised on organic fruit and vegetables, even local fresh milk and occasionally meat. I can tell you 100% organic is better. Even forgetting the lack of pesticides and so on, there is nothing more tasty that eating some potatoes, carrots, broccoli, corn or whatever that was still growing in the garden two or three hours earlier. The shorter time between harvesting and eating means the produce retains far more of the nutrients that are lost in a lot of supermarket/grocer stock.

i go out of my way to still try and find organic produce now, that i live in suburbia.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
well any time the USDA or the FDA want to stop people from eating home grown food.. I am with the local farmer. The FDA has deep ties with the Big Pharma industry and the USDA has ties with the FDA. I will stick to organic.
Big pharma makes money from cancer research as the FDA allows the sales of pesticides which cause the cancers and FDA also allows the use of the Frankenseeds which also cause health issues, further lining the pockets of the big pharma to make drugs to cure ghost illnesses. Yeah organic is healthier

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by hoochymama

Its the government that is the obstacle to organic farming not big business. If there is a market and demand for healthy organically grown foods than those profit driven will be the first to fill it. Its the government who is setting up the barriers to entry in the market. The FDA with its food regulations and raids on raw milk factories are what make it difficult not business.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Organic is healthier but the real issue of the article (the same article was posted on multiple sites) as well as the current Food Raids going on is it seems the new War going on is our Food. We have seen the War on Drugs, War on Terrorism, and now is it the War on Food??

"Farm to Fork" Raid

Rawsome Foods Raid

This is getting a little worrisome and again, if our Country was so worried about Obesity I would think the opposite message would be sent. Maybe subsidize Organic Farms and create a system of Cooperation between Organic Farms and Super Markets. I dont quite understand the logic but understanding logic from our Government is basically a lost cause anyway.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to [url= by crankySamurai[/url]

that's not entirely true.....organic fertilizers and pest control costs more than double what synthetic sprays and fertilizers cost. If you can even find them- jamaican bat guano is difficult and peruvian seabird guano is impossible. If we all composted our own wastes (on an organic diet) the organic growing cycle would be complete.
also- who do you think owns the government? Yes- big business.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
No,you are still going to die just as fast..

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by IandEye
reply to [url= by crankySamurai[/url]

that's not entirely true.....organic fertilizers and pest control costs more than double what synthetic sprays and fertilizers cost. If you can even find them- jamaican bat guano is difficult and peruvian seabird guano is impossible. If we all composted our own wastes (on an organic diet) the organic growing cycle would be complete.
also- who do you think owns the government? Yes- big business.

Its true that it cost more to grow organic but that just means that you will have to sell it for more. If people want better food and are willing to pay for it there reason for business to be interested.

I agree that the business is in collusion with government but its only because the government has so much control over the market. If the government wasn't able to regulate and set all these obstacles to entering into a market there would be no reason for businesses to buy political influence. Its the fact that government has this power that attracts businesses into buying them off. That how our politicians want it.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by all2human
No,you are still going to die just as fast..

Not true on any level on which you wrote this. Health and organic foods are better for you, and I would also add IODIDE, I'm taking 1/32 tsp.

In addition, the other plans to depopulate, not giving them any credence.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Neither organic nor conventional food is better or worse than the other. But as the demand for organic food increases, so does the myth that it must have higher nutrient values.
theconversation.edu.au...

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by all2human

Food grown in better soil with more nutrients and less damaging agents is bound to be better.

All food is not created equal.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
From external source,see link

Myth: Organic foods are the safest and healthiest choice for you
www.wrha.mb.ca...:
The truth: Both organic and non-organic foods are nutritious and safe to eat when you're making healthy choices based on Canada's Food Guide. Many factors affect a food's nutritional value, such as where and how it was grown, stored, shipped and even how it was cooked. So organic foods may have more, about the same, or less nutrients than non-organic foods. And both organic and non-organic foods are grown and produced under strict regulations to make sure they are safe for you to eat. Like any food purchase, buying organic food is a personal choice.

edit on Mon Sep 3 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS[/editby
edit on 3-9-2012 by all2human because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I am certainly no expert when it comes to food, but I do eat food and rather enjoy the experience. If I have the choice to go with something minus preservatives, pesticides, etcetera I'm going to, this does not necessarily mean organic though. I am aware that non-organic foods have a tendency to keep longer which poses a problem for organic foods when shipping from one end of the country to the other or even from one country to another. Personally I think that issue could easily be solved with smaller local outlets as opposed to todays larger national or international brands. Really that would go against the idea of competition then now wouldn't it?

According to wikipedia in the event that anyone wondered:

Organic foods are foods that are produced using methods that do not involve modern synthetic inputs such as synthetic pesticides and chemical fertilizers. Organic foods are not processed using irradiation, industrial solvents, or chemical food additives.

en.wikipedia.org...

Apparently science has not identified any health benefit to eating organic foods, however; one could conduct some of their own analysis:

Although there are human benefits to the use of pesticides, some also have drawbacks, such as potential toxicity to humans and other animals. According to the Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants, 9 of the 12 most dangerous and persistent organic chemicals are pesticides.

en.wikipedia.org...

One does have to wonder though... Since organic foods are not processed using synthetic pesticides could food be labeled organic and yet grown with the use of one of those 9 organic pesticides?

edit on 3-9-2012 by Symbiot because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
What does organic even mean?
All things were grown and if you go into the grocery store and buy "organic" then you will find that in most cases it is false labeling.
Yes getting closer to the natural processes of nature is the much healthier but i have found that deception is involved.

Looks like i take too much time forming my post.
My point is that there are no laws to my knowledge enforcing the definition above.

edit on 3-9-2012 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   

edit on 3-9-2012 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by deadeyedick

I get the impression that it has more to do with charging more than anything else. Buying locally is a good idea in my mind. One could also consider growing their own garden for fruits and vegetables. I don't know about fruit, but my girlfriend has a very small garden that yields quite a few vegetables and she really enjoys it. I don't do a whole lot in the garden myself, but she makes it seem quite easy. She uses no fertilizers or pesticides, we share with neighbors, but there's no need for preservatives.

edit on 3-9-2012 by Symbiot because: Goodness too many edits

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Symbiot

No doubt that local is the answer.
I am starting a greenhouse myself.
It seems that money and convenience once again makes the deadly decisions for the majority.
Just look at the actor Micheal clarke duncan having a heart attack today at 54.Way too soon.imo

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by hoochymama

unfortunately, applying organic standards to farming is worthless if the ground is already corrupt.

people think that organic food is magical and totally immune to pollution or pesticides.

Thats not the case. Organic food gets the same rainwater that every other part of the planet gets.

Our environment is so polluted that organic food for the most part is a joke and basically is just a good way to charge a higher price for your goods.

Im not saying its not a "healthier" alternative, but, we all inhabit the same polluted planet, and i dont know of any organic farms that produce food in a total vacuum, immune to the effects of an already polluted system.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join