It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It is Possible The Cali Swarm is Volcanic Activity from the Salton Buttes Volcanic Field

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Thanks for starting this thread. Some interesting postings -
keeping on my toes for anything pertaining to the swarm.
Will definitely keep this in mind as we wait to see what
will happen and where. Maybe the swarm will let up and
that will be it - we can only hope. For those in the area
of the quakes please be prepared and stay safe. Lovin
ya in California!

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
wow, so now it looks like beading activity is incoming- or rather, just went by. This is confirmed on 5 stations. Something is stirring for sure down there.

Did you guys know that there is a massive geothermal plant there? And I just realized that well injection might have possibly stirred a monster. Holy crap! I probably will get no reply, because they know this! If that thing blows up, and the geothermal plant was eventually deemed to be the cause... OMG.
edit on Sun Aug 26th 2012 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

That grouping. More like volcanic than linear along faults. Just observing. Here is a map of all Mt St. Helens quakes prior to that eruption. Compare it to OP pic at top of pg 1.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
wow, so now it looks like beading activity is incoming- or rather, just went by. This is confirmed on 5 stations. Something is stirring for sure down there.

Did you guys know that there is a massive geothermal plant there? And I just realized that well injection might have possibly stirred a monster. Holy crap! I probably will get no reply, because they know this! If that thing blows up, and the geothermal plant was eventually deemed to be the cause... OMG.

I was just reading that on another site.
They're discussing this webicorder snapshot too:
Snapshot

Stonely Wave courtesy of a borehole?
edit on 26-8-2012 by sageturkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
What are we talking about here? What kind of damage hypothetically are we looking at?

I have no idea what any of this means.

Stay safe, and think about sleeping with your shoes on.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Yeah, good point.

And you know what the kicker is? I am picking these events up from 75 to 100 km AWAY from the epicenters. Meaning, whatever they are, they are powerful enough to carry that far and register on a whole bunch of stations. I am still working to try and get closer stations...and I know of one network, but it is privately held by the geothermal company...public data not available.

Ok wait, I am in as close as 33km right from the south side of the lake. And wow, a lot of swarming activity going on. I can see much clearer now, so I need to monitor these stations for a while. That "VLP" may have just been cause I was more like 75 to 100 km away- and it spreads the signal out more, making it look like a VLP.

Got a reply back from a pro, who just said "lots of people looking into this...it's a known seismic zone."

And that was it. EDIT- well they also did send this link:
latimesblogs.latimes.com...

lol, sheesh!

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Keep us posted.
At this point I don't find the Cali quakes unusual, but I'm not a geologist.
Are you?

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   

So if this is a volcano and erupts what is the worst that could happen ? I live in Joshua Tree CA and have family and friends out in Fullerton CA. I am really starting to worry, but then the worst could be over.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   

I live in Colton CA we were making complaint call to the air quality board about a sulfer smell for the last few weeks well they stated that off the record they believe it is quake activity that could be causing this smell but the federal government had split up their responsibilities to where it is not there job to look over these types of occurrences we are definately keeping our ear to the ground peace.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Yeah, Geothermal Power Plant - was trying to get you some links for this on the dreaded dail up - raised this area in quake watch last year (or was it 2 now) with PM.... same thing went with the CA/MEX quake - I had a thread on that - look at Iceland .. nuff said on this computer

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by thesoundofbass

I live in Colton CA we were making complaint call to the air quality board about a sulfer smell for the last few weeks well they stated that off the record they believe it is quake activity that could be causing this smell but the federal government had split up their responsibilities to where it is not there job to look over these types of occurrences we are definately keeping our ear to the ground peace.

Colton is about 150 km or so from the Salton Sea, right? Not sure that would be related, but you never know...

So let's hope this is just the "classic Brawley seismic zone swarm," as the USGS apparently thinks from the link I posted above.

I am definitely seeing a difference in the signatures, being in closer. But it is still rocking, rapid-fire style. Microquakes in bursts, pretty close together. So the USGS is pretty much like "yup, been there, done that." But if we look on the bright side of things...They don't expect a quake bigger than 5.8.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
OMG! We are all gonna die!
It gets me. As we draw closer to the 12/21/2012 (which is my birthday btw) There is all kinds of profits, channelers, mystics, ect. All with there own niche of doom and gloom. What one you going to pick and stick with? 3days of darkness, Nirbru, Solar flare, fake alien invasion, civil wars, earthquakes, polar shift? I got one I call it Shocktoberfest, it's about when the crops don't come in as expexted due the the droughts across the land. And how fuel, food, basically everything will sky rocket into ultra hyper inflation. This is not really a prediction but a actual event that might actually happen. Happy halloween!

To proove my point you will se very low meat prices first. This is cause the farmers know that they need to cull the herds of cattle cause the grain prices will skyrocket first. And meat will be cheap cause it will spoil fast if they keep selling it at today's prices. After "The cull" meat will be very expensive. Fast food places will have minimal if any profits and will downsize closing many locations and mass jobs will be lost. Who's gonna pay $5-10 for a big mack when the only jobs they have is at Mc Donalds for 8 bucks a hour? If we think we are in a recession/depression now this will be looked at as the good ole days.Corn crops which america relies on are allready for fuel, high frutose corn syrup(which is not good for us anyway and is in most food or beverages) will be hightly expensive due to the fact they will need all the grains to keep what livestock they can manage to keep alive due to the expected low grain count harvested this season. Use of grains will probably declared illegal for the use of fuels, subtrates, textiles or anything else except fot production of food and livestock needs. Yes this is a possible and realistic scenario.

Thinking of the four horsemen. not being a religeous type. We allready got Pestilence, War, death and now the possibility of mass famine?

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by violet
Keep us posted.
At this point I don't find the Cali quakes unusual, but I'm not a geologist.
Are you?

Nope, not a geologist, which is why I prefer to get more opinions from pros. And to keep you posted, you know bout as much as the rest of us. At this point I am thinking now again that the swarm is tectonic, and the quakes at Salton Sea in the OP are just part of the normal microseismicity that accompanies well injection in a geothermal development. After seeing how much seismicity there is at the Geysers, another geothermal field, I guess it just goes with the territory.

At this point I am Ieaning over the fence back to tectonic- mainly because of what the USGS is saying, but also because now that I can see the signatures more clearly, I don't see any VLP's. At least not at the moment. But hey, made a thread with some possibilities that seemed plausible at the time. I like to play both sides of the fence until I arrive at the more prominent truth- wherever the chips may fall. The swarm is some 21 km from the volcanic field- which supports the tectonic argument.

And for residents that argument is preferable, because with a fault segment length of about 58 km, that backs up the max 5.8 mag to a degree.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by proob4
Thinking of the four horsemen. not being a religeous type. We allready got Pestilence, War, death and now the possibility of mass famine?

I can see mass famine.. but there is no huge pestilence, war or deaths. Nothing that would stand out "biblically".

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   

I got these from a website. They show the Northridge swarm and a 3D rendering of the Loma Prieta quake SF '89. Heres the thing about the Loma Prieta pic. From underground one can see the grouping of the quakes in the extinct(?) volcano. When that one went off we went touring the epicenter and met USGS guys drilling into the mountain to measure groundwater (they said]. But my friend clearly smelled sulfur down wind from the rig. We pressed the workers about that. One said that sulfur can rise into the water table from a quake in a volcanic area. They were trying to be nice and told us to leave.

Those rigs were dead center in the area where a bulge had pushed up an entire area of forest there in the epicenter. It was so long ago that my memories are hazy, but I remember the sulfur issue. The Northridge quake swarm looks grouped too, but that was a fault oriented quake. Maybe all quakes appear this way when you add all the aftershocks to the main event?

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   

I like how you guys keep referring to "pros" Seriously, who is a pro? someone who has a degree from a college? Does having that make a person a know-it-all and is 100% correct? I think NOT... No one really knows whats going on in science or the world and these earthquake swarms... No one

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Ok thanks for explaining and doing all the work on this. I live on the west coast of Canada so it's always a concern the quakes are precursers to events further away. If that was the right wording.
Just saw 7.4 in central America, so do you think it was related?

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Thanks for digging in and bring us this info. I have been posting my concern that this could be volcanic on the other thread. I looked up the seismic activity around Mount St. Helen's before she blew in 1980 and was convinced that this swarm might well be sings of volcanic activities. I'm no where near as good as presenting the the case as you, so thank you.

Originally posted by Observationalist

Originally posted by steve95988
Im thinking more and more this could be volcanic... to some point... it all seems so weird, with this 4.0 just now well east of the swarm location... is it possible a large pool of magma is pushing up or somehow trying to squezze in between the faults? Something is defin up and i gotta get up for work i na cpl hours! UGH!

Found this about Mount St. Helens seismic activity before it erupted in 1980

The first sign of activity at Mount St. Helens in the spring of 1980 was a series of small earthquakes that began on March 16. After hundreds of additional earthquakes, steam explosions on March 27 blasted a crater through the volcano's summit ice cap. Within a week the crater had grown to about 1,300 feet in diameter and two giant crack systems crossed the entire summit area. By May 17, more than 10,000 earthquakes had shaken the volcano and the north flank had grown outward at least 450 feet to form a noticeable bulge. Such dramatic deformation of the volcano was strong evidence that molten rock (magma) had risen high into the volcano Link

There are volcanic mud pots near the Salton Sea.

The Salton Buttes are a line of four small volcanoes on the southeastern shore of the Salton Sea near Calipatria, about 100 miles east of San Diego. Scientists estimate they last erupted between 6,500 and 10,000 years ago -- which at least technically classifies them as active

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by JT92252

I'm in San Diego, I found this article about what San Diego could expect from an eruption from the Salton Sea. Article date was June 2011.
Geologists: Volcanic Eruption Near County Possible

Unstable magma may find a path to the surface, which would result in the buttes erupting, oozing lava and spewing ash. Though ash clouds like those seen in Iceland last year is a remote possibility, a geologist with the U.S. Geological Survey recently said in an article from the Palm Springs Desert Sun that "I would not anticipate an Iceland eruption, but we didn't anticipate Mount St. Helens either." Even if an ash cloud is small, it could still wreak havoc and alter flight plans. "The way the ash gets to San Diego is if we have Santa Ana winds," said Abbott.

Could be worse considering the presents of a geothermal plant.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 04:14 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Hi TA,
whether this volcanic-related angle turns out to be no more than than conjecture, it's definitely worth running a thread for this. I'm hopeful that most members will appreciate the value of presenting the concept.

I know that in you later posts on this thread you were leaning back towards purely tectonic, but do you recall that over on the QW thread I mentioned the possibility of quakes that are not actually volcanic but could have a volcanic causative component? (I cited a region in my own country as an example.) This Brawley region swarm could be viewed similarly, I guess. But the mag 7.3 off El Salvador a few hours ago does alter the perspective a bit. It doesn't deny the "volcanic" link, but getting a big quake there along what is effectively part of the same fault system/line that runs up through the Gulf of Cali into SoCal makes me wonder if they are related.

Simply put, I think at times these systems are so complex that it might be impossible to just put a "tectonic" or "volcanic" label on them; instead we have this kind of mix of the two forces coming into play.

Mike

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join