It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michelle Obama's New School Lunches Are A Flop

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
In Australia, we make our kids lunches….. Why don’t the majority of American families do this?

Today my son (6yo) had 2 ham and cheese sandwiches on wholegrain, an apple, a banana, packet of sultanas and an apple juice.

Sometimes we put in homemade cookies as a treat, or rarely (maybe once a week) a packet of plain potato chips.

It took me less than 5 mins to make it while I was getting breakfast and ready for work.

We are not one of those ‘healthy’ families either, sometimes we have pizza, but we have fish at least 3 nights a week.

My kids have also never been to a MacDonald’s, KFC or Hungry Jacks etc the closest we come to ‘take out’ is sushi.

I would like to hear from parents…. please explain to me why when both my wife and I work – we are still able to provide a healthy lunch every day?

Why do you think it’s a school’s job to do this?

Mickierocksman

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mickierocksman
In Australia, we make our kids lunches….. Why don’t the majority of American families do this?

Today my son (6yo) had 2 ham and cheese sandwiches on wholegrain, an apple, a banana, packet of sultanas and an apple juice.

Sometimes we put in homemade cookies as a treat, or rarely (maybe once a week) a packet of plain potato chips.

It took me less than 5 mins to make it while I was getting breakfast and ready for work.

We are not one of those ‘healthy’ families either, sometimes we have pizza, but we have fish at least 3 nights a week.

My kids have also never been to a MacDonald’s, KFC or Hungry Jacks etc the closest we come to ‘take out’ is sushi.

I would like to hear from parents…. please explain to me why when both my wife and I work – we are still able to provide a healthy lunch every day?

Why do you think it’s a school’s job to do this?

Mickierocksman

Too right mate. What is the deal with these Americans? Complaining about schools attempting to improve their kids lifestyles by introducing them to healthy foods?

It's a sick world when people think it's the right thing to do to feed your developing children processed, high sugar, high saturated fat, salty foods which no doubt hold little nutritional value, because it 'keeps them full'.

Strange very strange.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Nucleardiver

Really? Those things are well over 3000 calories a piece. They are meant to be rationed after days or after a day of intense activity... They are also incredibly expensive but, that is beside the point. Nothing seems right about that situation let alone the fact that most of them are terrible. Didn't enjoy them in BMT, dont enjoy them now.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   
A lot of this has been going on for years, even before Obama. Companies fight for their products to be used and councils vote on what is healthy and what isn't depending on what is the best bidder.

I think this menu is just doing the best it can with available resources. Also note that oftentimes the school lunch is the only food many kids get that day. I know I was one of those kids who only got school lunch as food for the day. :/
edit on 8/27/2012 by TheBloodRed because: syntax

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   
You know what the MOST pathetic part of all of this is...?

That American PARENTS can't be trusted to feed their kids properly.

Overweight and obesity in children are significant public health problems in the United States. The number of adolescents who are overweight has tripled since 1980 and the prevalence among younger children has more than doubled. According to the 1999-2002 NHANES survey, 16 percent of children age 6-19 years are overweight (see Figure 1). [1], [2],[3] Not only have the rates of overweight increased, but the heaviest children in a recent NHANES survey were markedly heavier than those in previous surveys.

aspe.hhs.gov...

If parents did a better job of feeding their kids and if PARENTS demanded better food at schools, instead of cheaper food, this issue would NOT exist.

Parents have no one to blame but themselves and parents caught trying to sneak crap food to their kids should be fined, because guess who pays for their fats kids' diabetes? Everyone.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by longlostbrother

Overweight and obesity in children are significant public health problems in the United States. The number of adolescents who are overweight has tripled since 1980 and the prevalence among younger children has more than doubled. According to the 1999-2002 NHANES survey, 16 percent of children age 6-19 years are overweight (see Figure 1). [1], [2],[3] Not only have the rates of overweight increased, but the heaviest children in a recent NHANES survey were markedly heavier than those in previous surveys.

aspe.hhs.gov...

If parents did a better job of feeding their kids and if PARENTS demanded better food at schools, instead of cheaper food, this issue would NOT exist.

Parents have no one to blame but themselves and parents caught trying to sneak crap food to their kids should be fined, because guess who pays for their fats kids' diabetes? Everyone.

Instead of fining people for feeding their kids "crap food" how about making that type of food illegal to make or sell? Just like cigarettes...the government KNOWS they're bad for you, but they are STILL legal, except you get fined for smoking almost everywhere! The government are the biggest hypocrites of all! They bow to the lobbying of cigarette companies because it's all about the money! They don't give a damn about your child....do you really believe they do? If they REALLY cared, they would not allow "crap food" to be made or sold! Duh!

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by NogardNarad
reply to post by Nucleardiver

Really? Those things are well over 3000 calories a piece. They are meant to be rationed after days or after a day of intense activity... They are also incredibly expensive but, that is beside the point. Nothing seems right about that situation let alone the fact that most of them are terrible. Didn't enjoy them in BMT, dont enjoy them now.

Not to mention the lack of fiber will cause you to have constipation. Anyway, this thread is just laughable. Most people eat way too many calories to begin with. The average kiddie meal is 700 calories these days-That's too much. Most American's are overfed. And really, people are calling Michelle Obama fat?
www.theatlanticwire.com...

Look at that photo up top. That is not a fat woman.

This is a fat woman:
1.bp.blogspot.com...

This is a fat woman:
fat woman
Get it straight, Michelle is muscular, but she ain't fat. Nowhere near it. Yesh, I'm not even voting for her husband but calling her fat is just stupid, ignorant and petty. She isn't fat.
edit on 27-8-2012 by antonia because: opps

edit on 27-8-2012 by antonia because: forgot an article

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by elrem48

Originally posted by longlostbrother

aspe.hhs.gov...

Instead of fining people for feeding their kids "crap food" how about making that type of food illegal to make or sell? Just like cigarettes...the government KNOWS they're bad for you, but they are STILL legal, except you get fined for smoking almost everywhere! The government are the biggest hypocrites of all! They bow to the lobbying of cigarette companies because it's all about the money! They don't give a damn about your child....do you really believe they do? If they REALLY cared, they would not allow "crap food" to be made or sold! Duh!

I DO think a luxury tax on #e food is a good idea... dump the excess profits into a fund to research diabetes and heart disease...

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daughter2
Those lunches don't sound too bad. Tacos, corn dogs, sloppy joes - most kids like these things.

School lunches are bad regardless of the type of food. They can even make pizza taste bad.

you can rest assured Michelle Obama's kids are dining on pretty fine chow- usual do as I say not as I do from a lecturing bore

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by antonia

I disagree, you seen the size of her humungous rear end, don't try and waffle to me that it ain't mainly fat

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by blueorder
reply to post by antonia

I disagree, you seen the size of her humungous rear end, don't try and waffle to me that it ain't mainly fat

Yeah look at this picture, they're all obese lardasses...

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by longlostbrother

yeah, yeah, who is talking about the kids and Barrack Hussein, yeah yeah, we are talking about Michelle and that is a rather clever and expensive dress, yeah yeah

edit on 27-8-2012 by blueorder because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by longlostbrother

I DO think a luxury tax on #e food is a good idea... dump the excess profits into a fund to research diabetes and heart disease...

Unfortunately the bulk of that money will not go to research, but into the pockets of the CEO's of those research organizations! Sad...

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Sch00l lunches must be paid before you get them. We all had a card that was scanned had
your amount, you could buy 2 plates if you wanted to. S0 have y0ur kid buy 2 plates.
If your kid is n0t g0ing t0 eat it based on taste anyways the amount their given is not
going to matter, bring the lunch fr0m h0me.

What most everyone did was buy a la carte, which was fresh delivered everyday hungry howies pizza at 1.50 a slice buy as many as you want. Or chicken salads at 2 bux a peice with 2 salad dressing packets.

The 0nly kid's that will be effected are the kids who get *free *lunch* If the parent/s make below a certain amount of income you qualified for it.

Since the parent/s cant afford to give their kid a lunch to take, or buy an extra plate, then they should absolutely reduce portions which in turn reduce costs.

Kids will learn it clear and quick, not to be bums, they need to0 work to eat.
0r they will be in the category of beggars cant be choosers, EAT WHAT YOU GET SLAVE./

These are not Michelle Obama's New School Lunches, maybe suggesti0n, but 0nly the local school board
has the actual p0wer t0 change it.

Missed that at the meetings>? REEEAL RESPONSIBLE PARENTS
edit on 27-8-2012 by sirnukeem because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   

reply to post by antonia

Having a large rear end is not the same as being fat. Her butt isn't even that big.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by antonia

reply to post by antonia

Having a large rear end is not the same as being fat. Her butt isn't even that big.

Agreed. Beyonce, Jennifer Lopez, Kim Kardashian - all those women are not considered fat - they just got curves. They're "bootylicious".

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
It's all about money.

SOMEBODY somewhere is making a buttload of money off of this.

Follow the money trail and you'll find out who.

Money money money money money money money money.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
It's all about money.

SOMEBODY somewhere is making a buttload of money off of this.

Follow the money trail and you'll find out who.

Thank you! Well said with little effort! Yes that is where the fattest "butts" are (aka money)!

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by elrem48

Where did I say that I expect such an outlandish thing? I said it is my BELIEF that the government should not be involved in nutritional decisions for our children. A registered dietician could design a healthy menu, but there should be CHOICES such as breads other than just wheat. Some people really don't like wheat products, or are allergic to gluten. When I was a child the only drink was white milk...something I could NEVER stomach. Everyday was a struggle to NOT drink it as the teachers tried to force me. This was in the early 1960's. I do not have any tolerance for anyone who wants to dictate what I should be eating, drinking, saying and watching...as long as I am not inflicting pain on others. It's called CHOICE in this country of mine last time I checked, so why are these CHOICES waning more and more in every facet of our lives? Did "we, the people" ask the government to cater to us by expecting choices for school lunch as they always were? How is this catering to us? On our tax dollars? Hmm.

1)You didnt say it outright. You juts complain because they are not offering what YOU want, which is the same thing. If you dont want the government involved, DONT BUY SCHOOL LUNCH. It really IS that simple. They are forcing nothing, yet you complain anyway.

2)You talk about tax payer dollars, yet you want school districts to hire dieticians. Hypocrite?

3)If people dont like wheat product, they dont have to eat them. Again, NOTHING IS BEING FORCED.

4)Again, NO ONE IS DICTATING WHAT YOU EAT. They dictate what the school offers for lunch. Dont want it? Send your kid with a packed lunch. Why is this concept so hard to grasp?

5)It is called CHOICE. The choice is: pack your kid a lunch, or eat the OPTIONS that the school offers. Again, it really is that simple.

6)On your tax dollars? You do realize, as I have already pointed out, that school lunch programs are required to be self-sustaining, right? Meaning your tax dollars dont affect them, only the kids on free lunch.
edit on 27-8-2012 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
And now the point of this thread is showing its true colors...really, calling Michelle Obama fat? If thats all ya got, she must be doing something right.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join