It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michelle Obama's New School Lunches Are A Flop

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by edmer68

If people can't take responsibility for what they do on their own then they definitely need someone to do it for them

No they don't! I don't believe as MUCH was done for the pioneers as there is now...somehow, someway, they survived! When did we become such a nation of WIMPS???

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Komaratzi11

I don't know if her lunches have anything at all to do with it...my kids have always come home hungry and complaining about the taste of school lunches but then most have besides my own kids...but teens will always still be hungry at the end of the day even I was in my time.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by elrem48
reply to post by edmer68

If people can't take responsibility for what they do on their own then they definitely need someone to do it for them

No they don't! I don't believe as MUCH was done for the pioneers as there is now...somehow, someway, they survived! When did we become such a nation of WIMPS???
wimps? You mean like being upset because schools don't offer a full restaurant menu? Like expecting schools to cater to exactly what each parent wants?

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

So, people should continue to stuff their kids with garbage, inviting obesity and diabetes?

All because you can't stand the Obamas?

Sounds like a poor trade-off here.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I'm no fan of the Obamas but something does have to be done about school lunches and I commend her for trying. They should realize however that when you start eating healthy foods, you need to eat more often. You can't stick to the existing schedule while feeding smaller portions with fewer calories.

Anyone who has changed their diet to a much healthier one permantly will tell you this.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by VaterOrlaag
reply to post by jude11

So, people should continue to stuff their kids with garbage, inviting obesity and diabetes?

It's just another intrusion into people's lives and you know how it goes, give them an inch...

Besides, what makes her a nutrition expert all of a sudden? Because of who she is?

I've said it so many times and I'll say it again. ALL politicians should mind their own affairs and stay the hell out of our houses and personal lives. It's really that simple.

Every first lady undertakes a pet project and it usually has to do with kids. It never works and the only thing that comes out of it is great PR. And in this case, too little too late.

Peace

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

Originally posted by VaterOrlaag
reply to post by jude11

It's just another intrusion into people's lives and you know how it goes, give them an inch...

Besides, what makes her a nutrition expert all of a sudden? Because of who she is?

I've said it so many times and I'll say it again. ALL politicians should mind their own affairs and stay the hell out of our houses and personal lives. It's really that simple.

Every first lady undertakes a pet project and it usually has to do with kids. It never works and the only thing that comes out of it is great PR. And in this case, too little too late.

Peace

Honestly, when it comes to food, America needs all the help it can get, from any corner. Neglecting good advice, because it comes from a politician, is just pig headed.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Please explain to me how regulating nutrition in school provided lunches, that are a choice to eat, is intruding into anyones personal life.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
The problem isn't the food, it's the coward parents giving in to their fat little piggies demanding ungodly amounts of food.

What's so wrong with implementing a healthier menu in schools? What the hell is the matter with some of you people? I have no doubt there are parents out there feeding their kids junk just to spite the first lady's mission. Shame on you! There are far better examples of the government intruding in your lives than this!
edit on 26-8-2012 by TheFriendlyGreek because: sp

edit on 26-8-2012 by TheFriendlyGreek because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-8-2012 by TheFriendlyGreek because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by milominderbinder

Thank you for such an intelligent, insightful and thoughtful response. Seriously, well said and straight to the point!! And a very good point at that!!

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by phroziac

Hey, from your avatar, looks like you ate two lunches.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I can't believe this nosy woman and her small portion/healthy food mania! she should mind her own business. seriously there is NO WAY we can grow enough healthy/natural/organic food to feed 320 million people. she'll be responsible for the biggest famine in the history of the USA!

Parents, don't give in to the big govt control of the Obamas. in protest against her so-called leadership and micro-management you should all go out and buy the cheapest frozen food at your local wally world and stuff your kids double portions! add a 2 liter coke per day while you're at it. skim milk... yuck! that will teach her to mess with state's rights.

if you don't hook them on junk food early on in live they can still recover and turn to organic food. don't let THAT happen!!!

(yes that was sarcasm)

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Komaratzi11

It's going to take a long time for kids to get used to the new menu, but so what? If it were up to kids, their lunches would be sugar by the pound, dorritos, and gummy bears. They don't know any better, and have been brainwashed by commercials. What Michelle is doing is a good thing. Too bad the dumb-ass parents don't support it.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by phroziac

Phroziac, buddy, I was just kidding.

But I thought it was ok since this is a thread is concerning nutrition, and unhealthy food that often results in obesity.

Well that's what I though. and then it occurred to me that possibly it was a thread about The First Lady, Michelle Obama, and her failed, ineffective leadership in her misguided, big government, effort to lead our children towards a healthy diet. But sometimes I see things that aren't there

I guess I'm in the right place for that. Did you catch that thread on alien opposition to the new world order, takeover plans?

No wonder the new menu's not working. The kids don't want to give up their sugar and fat diet. First it taste good, and second it's additive. The parents that were interviewed were a prize. They were pissed off because the kids didn't eat and were still hungry . so what did they do? What was that Phroziac? Buy 'em a pop tart? Now there's a dinner you can count on.

Yeah. I'm with the kids. I wouldn't eat that stuff either. What was it, nuts and berries? Give me a burger with a sack of chips. Or a taco bar. Or a pizza with low fat cheese, and whole wheat dough. And let's not forget, a diet coke.

The real story, not told is the cafeteria operators. The kids aren't buying anything and they got to be taking it on the chin. Soon they will need government subsidy. See now there you go. Government in your cafeteria again. That's how this stuff grows. All in a controlled effort to keep our kids from getting fat. This ain't government's job. Where's the parents on this?

Buying the kid a Pop Tart.

This ain't easy. We are truly a drugged culture.

edit on 26-8-2012 by okyouwin because: grammer

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by stonebutterfly
These lunches don't sound bad. And portion control is essential to being healthy. We eat extra large portions as Americans, cause we think eating till you pop is right. The sad thing is our kids are so used to eating junk and sugar they cant handle a decent meal. I mean really people are complaining that schools are feeding their kids healthier? Oh dear, lets just go buy crud and fill them up till they puke with it. An unhealthy lifestyle needs time to adjust to the new healthy items. So now Ms Obama is terrible for not shoving Little Debbie cakes and grease into their unhealthy butts?
Evil Obamas and their SPINACH!

I'm no Obama fan, but I have to agree with you -- my son goes to a Catholic school and gets great lunches; from chicken wraps to fresh-made mac & cheese, all with lots of veggies and lots of fresh fruit on the side. In public school they feed the kids pizza and chicken nuggets and hot dogs -- gross. No wonder so many kids these days are already as fat as their parents.

I find it revolting what goes for "lunch" these days in public schools... and I find it amazing how people can cheer for Jamie Oliver's "Food Revolution" but bitch and moan when that healthy food ACTUALLY shows up in the schools. And for the parents going to buy their little darlings brown-bag lunches consisting of Doritos and Spaghetti-Os (which is total crap loaded with sugar and no nutrition whatsoever) -- shame on them, is all I can say. OF COURSE kids will choose the crap they're used to eat over the healthy stuff at first; it's a re-education process. But if you stick with it -- and teach your kid to LIKE vegetables and salad, for instance -- they'll make better choices later.

Can't believe anyone would complain about healthier food in schools. Seriously.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maroboduus
Are we really going to complain about an attempt to make children eat healthy? Is that how stupid our country has truly become?

This is 'Merica -_-

Kids are already hungry again when they get home? Who cares? I'm fairly certain they won't starve to death. O'm fairly certain their bodies will adjust and will, in the long term, be better off for it. This is a great example of how entitled, oblivious, and over-indulgent people have become.

"My kid had to eat portion sizes that fall in line with what is recommended by health agencies, and food that is marginally healthy to boot! Screw you, Obama!!!!"
edit on 25-8-2012 by Maroboduus because: (no reason given)

Y'know the kids wouldn't be hungry if 'Bama would just include a nutritious can of Brawno to give the kids energy (and 'Lectrolytes, whatever that is)..

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
In my home country kids didn't get lunch at school, instead they brought it from home or went out and eat something for lunch. We didn't have a cafeteria, instead we ate in our classrooms until high-school. At that point we had to bring our own meals unless we wanted to buy something from a vending machine. This is how tax dollars should be spent I think.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
the OP is missing something here,
the fact that school disctricts control the food intake of their students
so maybe the school district that your kid goes to does not belong to the fed guilde lines at all
here is a link to my school district lunches for all students : www.cdschools.org...

I had started to copy and paste them for each day but decided to use the link

I think OP wanted to bitch abut Obama no matter which one, but it holds no weight with me....

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Troofseeker
If Americans get any fatter, the entire US is in danger of sinking like Atlantis. STOP stuffing your fat faces with sugary, processed crap, you greedy, gluttonous blobs. I spent a couple of weeks in Florida last summer and I simply could not believe the portion sizes you get in restaurants. I asked for a burger and fries in one place and the waitress brought the biggest, greasiest burger I've ever seen. There were three meat patties in it, each one dripping with melted cheese, and the fries - my dear God there was a mountain of them. If you served that up in a British restaurant all eyes would be on you as you ate it, with people thinking "Is he really going to eat all that?" But in the US it's the norm. Massive portions, low quality. And then just walking about in the US, it seems about half the population is obese, huge fat wobbly guts and sweaty lard-asses everywhere you look.

And now you're complaining about Obama giving the kids healthy food. It makes me sick.

Honestly, it takes more han a school lunch for 9 months a year to get kids on the right path for their health. Let's add exercise and atleast two other meals per day....and get away from the computer, iphone/ipad and T.V....without government sanctions!

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   

wimps?

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

Originally posted by elrem48
reply to post by edmer68

wimps?

You mean like being upset because schools don't offer a full restaurant menu? Like expecting schools to cater to exactly what each parent wants?

Where did I say that I expect such an outlandish thing? I said it is my BELIEF that the government should not be involved in nutritional decisions for our children. A registered dietician could design a healthy menu, but there should be CHOICES such as breads other than just wheat. Some people really don't like wheat products, or are allergic to gluten. When I was a child the only drink was white milk...something I could NEVER stomach. Everyday was a struggle to NOT drink it as the teachers tried to force me. This was in the early 1960's. I do not have any tolerance for anyone who wants to dictate what I should be eating, drinking, saying and watching...as long as I am not inflicting pain on others. It's called CHOICE in this country of mine last time I checked, so why are these CHOICES waning more and more in every facet of our lives? Did "we, the people" ask the government to cater to us by expecting choices for school lunch as they always were? How is this catering to us? On our tax dollars? Hmm.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join