It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michelle Obama's New School Lunches Are A Flop

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus
reply to post by MaMaa

What kid eats carrot sticks? Cmon, if it's going in the trash it's just a waste. Muchelle thinks she is going to retrain all the kids because the parents don't know what they are doing. This is what I do not like about her and her programs.
edit on 25-8-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

Plenty of kids eat carrot sticks, I have seen it happen! LMAO I have four boys of my own and they will all eat carrot sticks so long as there is something to dip it in. Ok so the ranch dressing isn't that great for them, but what little amount they use I would think offsets the fact that they do eat their carrots. I have seen kids in the elementary eat their carrots w/dip too so it isn't just mine. And if you go to the high schools you'll see all the pretty skinny 'popular' girls sitting with their little salads that have carrot shreds in them. Honest to god I saw that last year when I went to drop something off to my oldest son! They were complaining that they had to go on a diet and 'it was salad from here on out'. I couldn't help but laugh, but hey.. those girls were eating carrots!

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Sch00l lunches must be paid before you get them. We all had a card that was scanned had
your amount, you could buy 2 plates if you wanted to. S0 have y0ur kid buy 2 plates.
If your kid is n0t g0ing t0 eat it based on taste anyways the amount their given is not
going to matter, bring the lunch fr0m h0me.

What most everyone did was buy a la carte, which was fresh delivered everyday hungry howies pizza at 1.50 a slice buy as many as you want. Or chicken salads at 2 bux a peice with 2 salad dressing packets.

The 0nly kid's that will be effected are the kids who get *free *lunch* If the parent/s make below a certain amount of income you qualified for it.

Since the parent/s cant afford to give their kid a lunch to take, or buy an extra plate, then they should absolutely reduce portions which in turn reduce costs.

Kids will learn it clear and quick, not to be bums, they need to0 work to eat.
0r they will be in the category of beggars cant be choosers, EAT WHAT YOU GET SLAVE./

These are not Michelle Obama's New School Lunches, maybe suggesti0n, but 0nly the local school board
has the actual p0wer t0 change it.

Missed that at the meetings>? REEEAL RESPONSIBLE PARENTS

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

Originally posted by elrem48

Where did I say that I expect such an outlandish thing? I said it is my BELIEF that the government should not be involved in nutritional decisions for our children. A registered dietician could design a healthy menu, but there should be CHOICES such as breads other than just wheat. Some people really don't like wheat products, or are allergic to gluten. When I was a child the only drink was white milk...something I could NEVER stomach. Everyday was a struggle to NOT drink it as the teachers tried to force me. This was in the early 1960's. I do not have any tolerance for anyone who wants to dictate what I should be eating, drinking, saying and watching...as long as I am not inflicting pain on others. It's called CHOICE in this country of mine last time I checked, so why are these CHOICES waning more and more in every facet of our lives? Did "we, the people" ask the government to cater to us by expecting choices for school lunch as they always were? How is this catering to us? On our tax dollars? Hmm.

1)You didnt say it outright. You juts complain because they are not offering what YOU want, which is the same thing. If you dont want the government involved, DONT BUY SCHOOL LUNCH. It really IS that simple. They are forcing nothing, yet you complain anyway.

2)You talk about tax payer dollars, yet you want school districts to hire dieticians. Hypocrite?

3)If people dont like wheat product, they dont have to eat them. Again, NOTHING IS BEING FORCED.

4)Again, NO ONE IS DICTATING WHAT YOU EAT. They dictate what the school offers for lunch. Dont want it? Send your kid with a packed lunch. Why is this concept so hard to grasp?

5)It is called CHOICE. The choice is: pack your kid a lunch, or eat the OPTIONS that the school offers. Again, it really is that simple.

6)On your tax dollars? You do realize, as I have already pointed out, that school lunch programs are required to be self-sustaining, right? Meaning your tax dollars dont affect them, only the kids on free lunch.
edit on 27-8-2012 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

Why is it beyond your ability to GRASP the only beef( no pun intended) that I have with this agenda is the mere fact that the GOVERNMENT is sticking its' nose in? Do they not have enough crucial issues that need their attention? You keep harping on me complaining about WHAT they don't "offer." You are missing my point...the government involves itself in anything that can give it more control of "us" ...and THAT is what I am against!
Where did I say That the "school should hire a dietician?" I said, "A registered dietician could design a healthy menu, but there should be CHOICES such as breads other than just wheat."
If you believe our government's not hypocritical....then that is your CHOICE! I believe our choices are being curtailed more than any school lunch could ever be!

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Where did I say that I expect such an outlandish thing? I said it is my BELIEF that the government should not be involved in nutritional decisions for our children. A registered dietician could design a healthy menu, but there should be CHOICES such as breads other than just wheat. Some people really don't like wheat products, or are allergic to gluten. When I was a child the only drink was white milk...something I could NEVER stomach. Everyday was a struggle to NOT drink it as the teachers tried to force me. This was in the early 1960's. I do not have any tolerance for anyone who wants to dictate what I should be eating, drinking, saying and watching...as long as I am not inflicting pain on others. It's called CHOICE in this country of mine last time I checked, so why are these CHOICES waning more and more in every facet of our lives? Did "we, the people" ask the government to cater to us by expecting choices for school lunch as they always were? How is this catering to us? On our tax dollars? Hmm.

1)You didnt say it outright. You juts complain because they are not offering what YOU want, which is the same thing. If you dont want the government involved, DONT BUY SCHOOL LUNCH. It really IS that simple. They are forcing nothing, yet you complain anyway.

2)You talk about tax payer dollars, yet you want school districts to hire dieticians. Hypocrite?

3)If people dont like wheat product, they dont have to eat them. Again, NOTHING IS BEING FORCED.

4)Again, NO ONE IS DICTATING WHAT YOU EAT. They dictate what the school offers for lunch. Dont want it? Send your kid with a packed lunch. Why is this concept so hard to grasp?

5)It is called CHOICE. The choice is: pack your kid a lunch, or eat the OPTIONS that the school offers. Again, it really is that simple.

6)On your tax dollars? You do realize, as I have already pointed out, that school lunch programs are required to be self-sustaining, right? Meaning your tax dollars dont affect them, only the kids on free lunch.

Why is it beyond your ability to GRASP the only beef( no pun intended) that I have with this agenda is the mere fact that the GOVERNMENT is sticking its' nose in? Do they not have enough crucial issues that need their attention? You keep harping on me complaining about WHAT they don't "offer." You are missing my point...the government involves itself in anything that can give it more control of "us" ...and THAT is what I am against!
Where did I say That the "school should hire a dietician?" I said, "A registered dietician could design a healthy menu, but there should be CHOICES such as breads other than just wheat."
If you believe our government's not hypocritical....then that is your CHOICE! I believe our choices are being curtailed more than any school lunch could ever be!

Why is it so hard for you to grasp that the government is not controlling you whatsoever in this instance?

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Why is it so hard for you to grasp that the government is not controlling you whatsoever in this instance?
Because it is another "brick in the wall' of government control....subtle as it may be ...it's happening all around us, and I resent it, okay?

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Because it is another "brick in the wall' of government control....subtle as it may be ...it's happening all around us, and I resent it, okay?

You resent that they are regulating something that you do not have to participate in (in fact, something that is a luxury, more or less)?

Seriously, the sense of entitlement these days is scary.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   

You resent that they are regulating something that you do not have to participate in (in fact, something that is a luxury, more or less)?

Wow, Sir, what is it YOU'RE saying that I feel entitled to??? My attempts to explain what irks me about this has been futile. Please read Wrabbit2000's reply on page one which I just saw now....he said it better than I, so maybe you'll finally understand where I'm coming from.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Wow, Sir, what is it YOU'RE saying that I feel entitled to??? My attempts to explain what irks me about this has been futile. Please read Wrabbit2000's reply on page one which I just saw now....he said it better than I, so maybe you'll finally understand where I'm coming from.

If you believe that the school lunch regulations fall under government control, that means you believe school lunch is a right that you are entitled to. That is what I am saying.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

If you believe that the school lunch regulations fall under government control, that means you believe school lunch is a right that you are entitled to. That is what I am saying.

Oh my! I KNOW the government is sticking its nose where it doesn't belong...as usual! THE END!

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Oh my! I KNOW the government is sticking its nose where it doesn't belong...as usual! THE END!
so who's nose does belong in regulating public school lunches?

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   

so who's nose does belong in regulating public school lunches?

uh.....yours???

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Seriously, I've answered you well enough, and now you're reminding me of a boy I knew many years ago when I was quite young, whom I had a silly argument with, and because of my immaturity began to call him names because my answers were falling on "deaf ears." All he could do was reiterate, "I know you are, but what am I?" I admittingly became extremely frustrated, whereas I finally walked away from him with no closure at all!

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by elrem48

Quality ad hom there. Well played.

So in your opinion, it should be YOUR choice what the schools should offer for lunch. Yet you say you do not want them to cater to you.

Interesting logic there.

Again, it is YOUR choice what your child eats. If you dont want them eating what is offered, CHOOSE to send them with the food you want them to eat.

Not rocket science.

Schools are not restaurants. There is a limited, self-sustaining budget which they must use to create their menu. Which means there are limited options available.

I truly do not understand why this is so hard to grasp.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Schools are not restaurants. There is a limited, self-sustaining budget which they must use to create their menu. Which means there are limited options available.
I grasp, I grasp! Poor, poor schools with their "limited, self-sustaining budget!" Okay, let them feed low-quality food to the children! Is that because they have much CONCERN for their growing brains? In all sincerity, is that kind of food so much better than what they used to serve? Reminds me of the scaled down portions in supermarket products....I suppose they do this because they care about our "fatness," however I don't see the PRICES going down....they actually increase with the rationed portions! It's a travesty and me thinks you know it!

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   

I grasp, I grasp! Poor, poor schools with their "limited, self-sustaining budget!" Okay, let them feed low-quality food to the children! Is that because they have much CONCERN for their growing brains? In all sincerity, is that kind of food so much better than what they used to serve? Reminds me of the scaled down portions in supermarket products....I suppose they do this because they care about our "fatness," however I don't see the PRICES going down....they actually increase with the rationed portions! It's a travesty and me thinks you know it!

No, you dont grasp. Do you know what a self-sustaining budget is? Obviously not, given your comment about pricing.

And again, the bottom line here, is that you are not forced to buy these lunches. You are complaining about the options given by the school. YOU DONT HAVE TO BUY THEM. If you were forced, you MIGHT have an argument. The fact that it is TOTALLY OPTIONAL means you are expecting them to cater to you.

There are plenty of things to complain about when it comes to our schools. The first and foremost is the parents, expecting schools to be daycare, restaurants, and surrogate parents. And this thread is a perfect example of that.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   

And again, the bottom line here, is that you are not forced to buy these lunches. You are complaining about the options given by the school. YOU DONT HAVE TO BUY THEM. If you were forced, you MIGHT have an argument. The fact that it is TOTALLY OPTIONAL means you are expecting them to cater to you.

No I am complaining about the government getting involved...and I never expected any of the aforementioned of schools...ever! I always sent my children to school with healthy lunch from home, and their hot lunch was once per week. They despised it because of the poor quality. I do not have junk food in my home either, and I hardly ever frequented McDisgusting or Burger Crap. You know nothing about me, so don't insinuate that I EXPECT anything from anyone...wasn't raised that way. My Dad was as strict as they come...growing up during the Depression. I simply do NOT want grubby, little government hands in my face everytime I turn in a different direction!

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   

No, you dont grasp. Do you know what a self-sustaining budget is? Obviously not, given your comment about pricing

So it doesn't bother you to pay more for your food and actually get less for your money? And crappier quality to boot! Good for you!
edit on 27-8-2012 by elrem48 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I remember when the argument about school lunches were that they tasted bad and had little nutritional value. When I went to school I normally took my own lunch for that reason. I was never forced to buy the food. Fast forward to now. I have a child in school. Last year he didn't really like the food most days so I packed his lunch for him. This year I let him try the new lunches. He loves them. They switched to whole grain bread which is what we use at home and he says it tastes better. Today he was so excited they served celery. He has been asking for spinach and they have been giving it to him as an extra. Most of the fruit and veggies they serve are now fresh, and he likes that better. I don't understand why people are complaining. The kids should already be used to eating fruits and veggies at home. I don't want to hear how its sooo expensive to eat that way. I'm a single mom that works 12 hour shifts and i make next to nothing and have to rely on 150 a month in food stamps. That is my entire grocery budget. I cook everything from scratch and we have either fresh or frozen fruit and veggies with every meal. If you do it right cooking isn't that hard and does not take that much time, and you can keep it cheap. Plus you have the option of growing some on your own. If you want your kids to eat processed crap then pack them a lunch, I'd prefer my kid eating this crap over that.

A little trick I used when he would not want to try something new is kinda make up weird things that would happen if he doesn't eat certain foods. No veggies, your eyeballs will fall out. No fruit, you'll get scurvy. He knows I'm joking and laughs and it distracts him from saying no :p

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
Leave the kids alone FEDS! Let the multicorps screw them! McD for all schools!

Yeah let them get Type 2 diabetes at increasingly younger ages. Sigh, a phased reduction of portion size woulf have been wiser, it would not stop the bitching and moaning, but would have been less of a shock to the poor little hutts...umm kids.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   

No, you dont grasp. Do you know what a self-sustaining budget is? Obviously not, given your comment about pricing

So it doesn't bother you to pay more for your food and actually get less for your money? And crappier quality to boot! Good for you!
edit on 27-8-2012 by elrem48 because: (no reason given)

Do none of you consider the overall rise of food costs in this country? Things dont stay the same price forever. As the cost of things rise, sellers must charge more. Simple economics.

And I do hope that some of you learn what a self-sustaining budget is someday...

Also, i hate to break it to you, but the government will ALWAYS be involved in public schools. They aways have been. They always will be. Without them, WE WOULD NOT HAVE PUBLIC SCHOOLS

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join