It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michelle Obama's New School Lunches Are A Flop

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by tidycat
Widowmaker, my kids wouldn't eat that stuff. It sounds good but they wouldn't eat it.
Kids will eat anything if they're really hungry. My ten year old does not eat crap. He eats lots of vegetables and fruit and lean meat. The reason for this is because I don't let him snack much between meals, so when it comes to mealtime he's as hungry as a horse and will eat anything that's put in front of him.

Do your kids a favout and use a little discipline. It's either good food or no food. They'll choose the good food every time.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Most parents I spoke with didn't mind the concept of healthier eating, but the menus leave something to be desired and are leaving the kids hungrier than ever at the end of the day.

That's because people are used to gorging themselves like they won't see food again in a week.

"What's the point, if I have to feed them a meal as soon as they get home?" was a common response. My favorite comment was, "Well, I better fill 'em up, because the school sure isn't."

Some examples of the new lunches taken from my son's lunch calendar:
Tues. Hamburger on wheat bun, with no cheese; carrots and dip; orange
Wed. Soft taco on wheat tortilla, lettuce; tomato; refried beans; pineapple
Thurs. sloppy joe on wheat bun; salad; mixed fruit
Fri. Mini Corn dogs; spinach salad; pears

Seems reasonable to me. Christ...the last time I checked 1:3 kids were downright lardasses.

My son reported to me that the trash can was stuffed with uneaten food and kids were complaining to the teachers about being hungry very shortly after lunch.

They sound like a bunch of spoiled brats to me.

The number of students carrying lunch from home has been increasing daily and Michelle Obama would be livid if she saw the things parents were buying, I'm sure. I sold a lot of lunch meat and cheese, chips, Lunchables, and Little Debbies to the disgruntled parents this week. They were buying Kool-aid type drinks as well, so forget that skim milk.

Proving once again that Americans are just too stupid to drink even after being led to water.

This whole situation got me wondering, "What do Barrack and Michelle's kids eat for lunch?" Well, obviously not what the children of commoners eat. Their lunches at prestigious Sidwell Friends School are catered by an outfit called Meriwhether-Godsey. Apparently, the good folks at Meriwhether-Godsey believe there are no bad foods if eaten in moderation. Their motto is "fresh is best" and "can the can". Too bad our children can't say the same.

So quit whining about the portions on how horrible the "healthy" menu of ground meat, fried foods, and cheese is.

The truth is government regulation is never going to end obesity for children or anyone else for that matter.

Agreed...just look at what happened here. The school system provided decent food in responsible portions for it's children and the cognitively impaired parents went out and bought a bunch twinkies and assorted chemicals to replace it with.

People are growing tired of the endless involvement of government in their personal business. Almost every parent that complained at the store blamed Michelle Obama for this mess.

You must live down south somewhere.

Whether Mrs. Obama acted alone or not, her face IS the face of this mess. She owns it and I wonder how it will affect her husband at the voting booth?

What a joke. I'm sorry but the LEAST offensive thing the Obama administration has done is attempt to lower the average cholesterol for elementary students to levels that the rest of world considers "dangerous" for middle-aged men who are 50lbs overweight.

edit on 26-8-2012 by milominderbinder because: formatting

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Troofseeker

Widowmaker, my kids wouldn't eat that stuff. It sounds good but they wouldn't eat it.
Kids will eat anything if they're really hungry. My ten year old does not eat crap. He eats lots of vegetables and fruit and lean meat. The reason for this is because I don't let him snack much between meals, so when it comes to mealtime he's as hungry as a horse and will eat anything that's put in front of him.

Do your kids a favout and use a little discipline. It's either good food or no food. They'll choose the good food every time.

You know...if you just feed your kids ACTUAL food at mealtimes they won't even WANT to eat a bunch of sugar and preservative-laden crap that tastes like chemicals.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   

why isn't there salmon, sushi, veg sushi, soups, fish n chips, garden salads (not just spinach) healthy non "cartoon" cereals, scallops, lobster, baked anything, real breakfast items for high school healthy pancakes , eggs, turkey sausage, the list could go on and on just take a look at what her kids are eating on you tax dollar, why shouldn't your kids eat this well

...Because the stupid Americans refuse to tax the obscenely rich and insist on perpetual military intervention in the Middle East.

Thus...with all the resources going to bomb civilians and stuff the pockets of those who deserve it the least there isn't enough money left over to buy decent food for the peasant-kids. Only the aristocracy can afford to feed their children that way.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Um, you do realize that if the federal government did not set education guidelines that all the kids in the south would think Adam and Eve had pet dinosaurs and the world was created six thousand years ago? Or are you OK with that?

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Both my kids eat pretty much anything, as we have no junk in our house, and don't let them eat it in others' houses. As a rule, American kids eat WAY to much crap, drink WAY to much soda and other sugar filled drinks and eat so much processed meat and BGH laced milk, it's kinda hard to even believe...

In Europe, yes there is a growing diabetes problem, but... it's nothing like in the US... and things like BGH in milk, are illegal.

Big difference.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Who gets it free? I do go home and cook me 3 bowls of roman noodles(YUM) and 2 corn dogs when i get home.. sometimes I can't wait to eat so i eat at lunch and im still hungry!The school i go to serves oil free, fat-free hamburgers... they don't serve regular fries anymore because it's too Fatty so now they serve sweet potatos.(which is nasty!) I wish they served right off the grill hamburgers and cook some scrambled eggs that has been messed with and with some cheese that doesn't have mold on them!!

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by WSandAbnormal

Who gets it free? I do go home and cook me 3 bowls of roman noodles(YUM) and 2 corn dogs when i get home.. sometimes I can't wait to eat so i eat at lunch and im still hungry!The school i go to serves oil free, fat-free hamburgers... they don't serve regular fries anymore because it's too Fatty so now they serve sweet potatos.(which is nasty!) I wish they served right off the grill hamburgers and cook some scrambled eggs that has been messed with and with some cheese that doesn't have mold on them!!

That is an absurd amount of food.

Three bowls of ramen noodles AND 2 corn dogs? Jesus man. Wow!

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
In my part of TN, the kids have to have a vegetable on their tray, even if they don't eat it, (and the 'salad' consists of iceberg lettuce and slightly ripe tomato slice), every bread is wheat(which my youngest won't eat), and the chicken nuggets are now brown inside(my youngest actually said 'Mama, the chicken nuggets are even wheat now), my son said they don't put salt on the green beans anymore because 'kids don't need any salt', and children who are in the processes of growing need more calories than adults who are no longer growing. My children aren't allowed to bring soda of any kind, no sweets, and on birthdays the teacher even suggested that 'we don't like to give the children sweets, so it might be better to bring vegetables and dip'.
Parent's aren't being as responsible as they once were because we are being told exactly how to raise our children by the government, and they must know what's better for our children than we do, right?

And just because those choices sound good does not mean they taste good.
edit on 26-8-2012 by EndlessFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by EndlessFire
In my part of TN, the kids have to have a vegetable on their tray, even if they don't eat it, (and the 'salad' consists of iceberg lettuce and slightly ripe tomato slice), every bread is wheat(which my youngest won't eat), and the chicken nuggets are now brown inside(my youngest actually said 'Mama, the chicken nuggets are even wheat now), and children who are in the processes of growing need more calories than adults who are no longer growing. My children aren't allowed to bring soda of any kind, no sweets, and on birthdays the teacher even suggested that 'we don't like to give the children sweets, so it might be better to bring vegetables and dip'.
Parent's aren't being as responsible as they once were because we are being told exactly how to raise our children by the government, and they must know what's better for our children than we do, right?

Absurd.

There should be NO SWEETS in school. You want to give your kid a cake for his birthday, great. But the school should enforce standards which will help kids be healthy.

You won't find an pediatrician anywhere that RECOMMENDS candy to kids. Period.

Yes, growing kids need more fat, and more calcium and more carbs, then older people need, but that's not license to stuff them full of processed foods and candy.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   

How much do you weigh?

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   

In my part of TN, the kids have to have a vegetable on their tray, even if they don't eat it, (and the 'salad' consists of iceberg lettuce and slightly ripe tomato slice), every bread is wheat(which my youngest won't eat), and the chicken nuggets are now brown inside(my youngest actually said 'Mama, the chicken nuggets are even wheat now), my son said they don't put salt on the green beans anymore because 'kids don't need any salt', and children who are in the processes of growing need more calories than adults who are no longer growing. My children aren't allowed to bring soda of any kind, no sweets, and on birthdays the teacher even suggested that 'we don't like to give the children sweets, so it might be better to bring vegetables and dip'.

Well yes, it would appear that the government knows how to feed your kids better than you do, for the simple reason that everything you've just stated sounds perfectly reasonable to me and will result in your children being less lardy and more healthy. Do you actually WANT your kids to drink liquid sugar and get fat and die young?

This is exactly the point I made earlier. Americans are so brainwashed by sugar and fat that they just can't get it into their stupid bone heads that what they've been serving their kids (and themselves) for all these years is just plain wrong. SO wrong in fact that the government has had to step in and say "Whoah there now fatty, put down the McDonalds and have some broccoli". And the stupid fat Americans are like "Huh? What's broccoli? And then they see it and say "Oh my God I ain't eatin' that, it's green! Gimme somethin' beige!"

Idiots.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Michelle Obama encouraging (not forcing) parents to feed their children healthful foods proven to improve cognitive function and keep them from being little flesh bags pretty much makes her the anti-Christ.

People here have such irrational blind hate I must question if they are truly human anymore or have they been turned into the same sort of hypnotized specie that was the general German population under Hitler. I really think FOX, Rush, et al have intentionally and successfully followed the teachings of master Nazi propagandist Joseph Goebbels. Not quite for the same purpose of course, but for their own ends.

In fact, I do not think it possible to hate someone violently just because they recommend something positive UNLESS that person has been brainwashed.

This is why our country is doomed, and I mean that literally. This sort of programming can only be bred out and that usually requires defeat in war, just as did in WWII. That's also why countries like Germany do have speech laws, because they know how dangerous speech can be. In the U.S., any thing goes and we will pay the price for it.
edit on 26-8-2012 by pajoly because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Sorry my friend, but your knowledge of nutrition is horrible. Ramen noodles are extremely bad for you. Very heavily chemically processed and even fried BEFORE they come to you. Corn dogs? Do I really need to explain why you might as well be eating foam cushions? Also, you are hungry because you are feeding your body empty, fiberless carbs.

As for "fat free," that means nothing. it is not a measure of something being healthful or not. You need good fats -- it is critical for proper cellular function. But all the fats you are taking in are of the junk, artery-killing goo type.

For anyone who wants to keep nutrition simple, all you have to do is to avoid as much as you can stand ANY and EVERYTHING with ingredients in the labeling that are not obtained by raising, growing, picking, catching, gathering, etc. That does not mean you can't cheat several times a week; just don't make that garbage the basis of your diet.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by pajoly

Sorry my friend, but your knowledge of nutrition is horrible. Ramen noodles are extremely bad for you. Very heavily chemically processed and even fried BEFORE they come to you. Corn dogs? Do I really need to explain why you might as well be eating foam cushions? Also, you are hungry because you are feeding your body empty, fiberless carbs.

As for "fat free," that means nothing. it is not a measure of something being healthful or not. You need good fats -- it is critical for proper cellular function. But all the fats you are taking in are of the junk, artery-killing goo type.

For anyone who wants to keep nutrition simple, all you have to do is to avoid as much as you can stand ANY and EVERYTHING with ingredients in the labeling that are not obtained by raising, growing, picking, catching, gathering, etc. That does not mean you can't cheat several times a week; just don't make that garbage the basis of your diet.

Amen...

Also try and learn about food from other cultures... you'd be surprised how well you can eat if you just try a bit of ye olde ethnic food...

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by jaguarsky
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Um, you do realize that if the federal government did not set education guidelines that all the kids in the south would think Adam and Eve had pet dinosaurs and the world was created six thousand years ago? Or are you OK with that?

...and let's face it. The Federal Government doesn't set educational guidelines in a practical sense. Texas does. Because of the sheer size of the state, all textbooks printed in the United States are printed so that they are sellable to the Texas guidelines.

Hence the constantly sliding test scores across pretty much every subject in the US. Is it really any wonder that our kids keep getting dumber when we let Texans alone decide on the curriculum?

There are a lot of great things about Texas...but an academically intelligent populace isn't one of them. Granted...they are better than Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia and South Carolina...but then again so is Guam.

Worse still is the fact that the vast majority of Texans don't live in the more enlightened areas of Dallas-Ft. Worth and Austin. Thus, the textbooks your kids are using have been designed to "appeal to the masses...of Texans".

This is probably a big part of the reason why High School History text books fail to mention that Prescott Bush (pappy Bush's Daddy) was convicted of aiding the enemy by providing financial support to Hitler during WWII and science textbooks continue to perpetuate the myth that oil is "more cost effective" than renewable energy sources. Unless, of course, anybody has seen a textbook floating around that factors in the costs of the trillion dollar+ war for the last decade in the Middle East into the energy yield per dollar of oil vs. ethanol, methanol, or solar.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
The elite f the country always give us the cheap s###. They have no care for anything but our money.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by pajoly
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Michelle Obama encouraging (not forcing) parents to feed their children healthful foods proven to improve cognitive function and keep them from being little flesh bags pretty much makes her the anti-Christ.

People here have such irrational blind hate I must question if they are truly human anymore or have they been turned into the same sort of hypnotized specie that was the general German population under Hitler. I really think FOX, Rush, et al have intentionally and successfully followed the teachings of master Nazi propagandist Joseph Goebbels. Not quite for the same purpose of course, but for their own ends.

In fact, I do not think it possible to hate someone violently just because they recommend something positive UNLESS that person has been brainwashed.

This is why our country is doomed, and I mean that literally. This sort of programming can only be bred out and that usually requires defeat in war, just as did in WWII. That's also why countries like Germany do have speech laws, because they know how dangerous speech can be. In the U.S., any thing goes and we will pay the price for it.
edit on 26-8-2012 by pajoly because: (no reason given)

Yep.

Think about how ridiculous it is that the party of "traditional values" and "conservatism" demonize a mother who says the kids should eat their vegetables and not eat too much candy. LOL.

Same deal with "christian values" by the "bible believers". The bible VERY clearly portrays ol' J.C. as a guy who provided FREE healthcare, FREE food to the hungry, plainly stated that we should be "custodians of the earth", instructed everyone to willingly pay their taxes without complaint, and never, EVER, held someone's sexual indiscretions against them.

So...how is it that the bible-thumping right wing loons aren't advocating MORE food stamps, universal health coverage, strong environmental policies, acceptance of controversial sexual activities, and increased taxes to pay for it all?

It makes no sense at all to say that "you believe in the teachings of Jesus Christ" and then simultaneously vote for candidates who are AGAINST everything that he supported.

...of course...in order to come to this realization you would have to both READ and UNDERSTAND the bible. And I guess if one is capable of such cognitive function then they probably aren't a "believer" in the first place.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   

How much do you weigh?

LOL. I'm gonna go out a limb and place my bet on northwards of 200lbs and well under 6ft tall.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Well yes, it would appear that the government knows how to feed your kids better than you do, for the simple reason that everything you've just stated sounds perfectly reasonable to me and will result in your children being less lardy and more healthy. Do you actually WANT your kids to drink liquid sugar and get fat and die young?

This is exactly the point I made earlier. Americans are so brainwashed by sugar and fat that they just can't get it into their stupid bone heads that what they've been serving their kids (and themselves) for all these years is just plain wrong. SO wrong in fact that the government has had to step in and say "Whoah there now fatty, put down the McDonalds and have some broccoli". And the stupid fat Americans are like "Huh? What's broccoli? And then they see it and say "Oh my God I ain't eatin' that, it's green! Gimme somethin' beige!"

Idiots.

LOL. Unless that "beige" is due to using real flour instead of chemically bleached starch-paste or because the chicken inside the chicken nuggets isn't mostly texturized soy protein made to resemble ground chicken breast.

Seriously people...does anybody here think that a chicken nugget should be "white" inside? The only way to achieve that feat using actual chicken would be if they were grinding up the choices cuts of chicken breast and forming it into chicken nuggets. Most of the meat on a chicken is the "dark meat".

Of course...it's always possible that a firm would voluntarily choose to grind up the most monetarily valuable parts of their product so that they could get a drastically lower asking price for it...but that would sort of disprove the basic tenets of free market economics, right?

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join