It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP lawmaker: Virtually impossible to get AIDS through heterosexual sex

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Neo, stay on topic. Please and thank you.

The topic refers to this specific remark. It can, as stated by the OP, pertain to all of the disinformation politicians (regardless of political affiliation) place into the Ether that is the Electorate.
This is not a "THE GOP GIVES THIS MUCH AID AND LOVES BABIES" thread. Go make another thread for that.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I think these Republicans must be being paid to make all of these ridiculously outlandish claims as of late just so Barack can get a second term. Many republicans i know are not even voting republican because of all this nonsense. HIV AIDS was created. It didnt come from a human having sex with a monkey and then having sex with a man. I thought it was common knowledge that it was created. See links below. And although it is true that it is much more difficult for a MAN to get hiv from vaginal sex with a woman, it is still easily transmittable to the woman from an infected man. I feel like the world is going bonkers.

www.originofaids.com...

www.konformist.com...

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Seriously, how do these people make it through a screening process? Even one called.... High School? I've certainly been hearing a bunch of uneducated nonsense being spouted by politicians lately..... are they sniffing glue? Are the lobbyists supplying drugs? I think sex education wouldn't be a bad idea, maybe these people need a refresher course! Rape doesn't cause pregnancy...... heterosexual sex doesn't spread AIDS...... Wow. Why can't we vote people OUT of office more easily?

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Gator
My next door neighbor is an OB/GYN and we have had a discussion about this. The statement that he made is close to the quote posted by the OP. He said: "It is virtually impossible for MEN to get aids from heterosexual sex". The emphasis is mine for clarity of difference.

They are correct, as was the Lawmaker. The odds of a man getting HIV from a woman are about 1:4000 (1:1000-1:8000) with unprotected sex. It's extremely rare for a man to get HIV from a woman. Those are the facts.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
Most of what the GOP says has no basis in reality, either scientific or otherwise.

Enlighten me, what are the odds of a man getting HIV from a woman via intercourse?

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
LOW IQ party

It just verifies what I've said in this thread; www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 22-8-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

The guy with the low IQ is right and you wrong. Does that make your IQ ultra-low?

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by hdutton
reply to post by neformore

I have no way to know if anyone else is hearing the amount of lunacy which continues to spew from the Republican Party the last several days.

I am more and more convinced that my decision to vote a straight Democratic ballot this term is THE correct one.

I find it interesting that you already made your decision and are now finding reasons to justify it. It kind of flies in the face of your signature quote, doesn't it?

I am aware that you have know idea how long ago I made my decision or the other information upon which it was based.

Let me assure you, there have been moments when I had thought of changing my mind; but just then some other idiot speaks up and reminds me how right I am.

Of course, this is my own decision and I would hope others will also think long and hard about the people for whom they will vote.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by OccamsRazor04

My next door neighbor is an OB/GYN and we have had a discussion about this. The statement that he made is close to the quote posted by the OP. He said: "It is virtually impossible for MEN to get aids from heterosexual sex". The emphasis is mine for clarity of difference.

They are correct, as was the Lawmaker. The odds of a man getting HIV from a woman are about 1:4000 (1:1000-1:8000) with unprotected sex. It's extremely rare for a man to get HIV from a woman. Those are the facts.

I am just tickled pink to read this.

Now think how this poor guy - number 4000 - feels.

Did he get it from his wife, girlfriend, or was it one of those " one-nite stands" from the airport??

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
Most AIDs transmission in the US involves IV drug users and/or male to male sex.

Here is a link to the stats broken down by age and race.

That merely means it is less likely for a guy to encounter a woman with aids.
It still does not mean that there is less of a risk to contract aids with heterosexual sex if one of the partners has aids. Look at Afrika.

Also there are other veneral diseases one should protect for.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Religio-Politics

This is how the New Republican Party thinks... or doesn't. They make up their own "facts" about global warming, abortion and AIDS to suit their faith-based positions. They look to the bible for answers, instead of science and the actual history of man.

On policy, they consider their faith, first and foremost, and as we can see, some discount science altogether. There's a religeo-political mindset that allows them to stubbornly make up their own "facts" to suit their bible-based belief systems.

If we engage this faith-based Republican party, this ends in a theocracy, where religious law and beliefs override science and fact.

Chris Matthews, Howard Fineman and Bill Nye, the science Guy explored this mindset yesterday on Hardball. It's well worth a listen (about 10 minutes).

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I'm pretty much speechless on this one. How can someone get elected that doesn't even have a tenuous grasp on reality?

I mean...c'mon...seriously? Came from a "man having sex with a monkey"...??? and "bestiality occurs in nature"?

Ya think?...they are "all" beasts so any time they mate...yeah I guess it's "beastiality"....

I'm pretty sure "bestiality" is a term reserved for strange humans having sex with animals.

This dude....I don't know...my brain is still hurting from reading that.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
What's with all the Democrat hacks trying to start a online meme about kooky Republicans? You think this will somehow help Obama? The funny thing is if this guy had said aliens were in charge of large sectors of the Government, many people on this site would agree... Talk about deny ignorance. Low paid Dem posters hawking this crap should know it doesn't work. The pin heads who believe ALL Repubs are ignorant already think that. Your preaching to the choir. Everyone else knows you can't paint an entire political party with the stupidity of some of its members. If that were the case we should talk more about Obama's administration WASTING tax payer funds. That's real, that has an effect. Some State senator from bumfuzzel Tennessee spouting inanities has no real impact on all of us. It says more about his district. Not the Republicans.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I immediately thought of this guy when I read that.

ETA: OP I agree with you, he doesn't have to know everything but he does have to know what he's talking about before opening his mouth. And yes, both sides are equally guilty of this.
edit on 8/23/12 by thov420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Those uneducated fools still live in the 50s...

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by Domo1

Honestly this is the most stupid thing I have ever heard a politican say:

I was going to add this myself as after reading the OP as this is what immediately came to mind. I can't believe the ignorance and stupidity of people in powerful positions. It is just totally perplexing, frustrating and rather depressing!

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Politicians are the product of the constituancy that elects them. I've seen a lot of idiocy on both sides, from Maxine Waters asking NASA to drive the Mars rover to over where the astronauts planted the flag to Caroline McCarthy and her "shoulder thing that goes up" idiocy, to the President's "give her a pill instead of a more expensive surgery" comment.

If the problem is idiots in government, then one must look at idiots in the electorate that put them there.

Question: how many people would agree with a literacy test in order to vote?

Thomas Jefferson said, "If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
edit on 23-8-2012 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
My High School Term Paper on HIV/AIDS, in 1987 was better informed than this man! Whatever, ignorant people are going to be ignorant. I just hope people that were listening didn't take it as fact. I love to see men like this fall. The high and mighty fall so damn hard.

Jerry Falwell. Jim Bakker, Mark Souder (I love that one), the list goes on and on...

P.S. I got an A++ on that Term Paper....

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

Well as of 2009 24% of all AIDS cases are women, in the US, so I don't know if you would want to take a chance...Also it was not long ago when AIDS was the # 1 killer of women under 40 in New York,

www.thebody.com...
edit on 23-8-2012 by kurthall because: added link

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Yeah and women can't get pregnant from a "legitimate rape" either, because their bodies just shut down and won't allow it to happen.

The new TP/GOP has become the party of pure unadulterated ignorance, it oozes from almost every word they speak and yes, it's frightening to say the least.

On the other hand, it has become much easier nowadays to recognize the true source of this ignorance and those who profess it, Just look for the all telling (R) attached to their official government title.

Couldn't we just look for the dumbest SOB out there and elect them to public office? Oh wait, the TP/GOP has already done that!

F&S for the OP!
edit on 23-8-2012 by Flatfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Variable

Originally posted by Variable
What's with all the Democrat hacks trying to start a online meme about kooky Republicans?

It's not Democrats who are saying these things. If anyone is starting a meme, it's the people sharing their Stone Age-based ideas in the world of the 21st century. It's the culture of religio-politics. THEY are spreading it.

You think this will somehow help Obama?

It's clear Obama is getting all the help he needs from the likes of Bachmann, Palin, Akin, Ryan and now Stacey Campfield of Tennessee. Speaking about it here doesn't help Obama, as I think we're all pretty much decided where our interests lie. But on the nationwide stage, it's bound to do some damage to Romney. Which, clearly, is an advantage to Obama.

And that's how modern US elections works. The Obama folks are using the same strategies that the GOP has used for decades, and the Republicans don't like it one bit - or think it's "fair". I'm not crazy about the level of discourse in this election, but they always seem to end up dredging the bottom by the time the election rolls around.

Low paid Dem posters hawking this crap should know it doesn't work.

I find it amazing that the Republican party messes up SO badly, and then ALWAYS finds a way to blame the Democrats for it. It's really curious, scientifically speaking, that is.
Unless a gag order is issued, more and more TPRs are likely to spout their religio-political beliefs, in order to click in with their far right base.

Everyone else knows you can't paint an entire political party with the stupidity of some of its members.

True. And I don't agree with doing so. There is a growing portion, however, of Tea Party Republican elected officials who are picking up the "cause" and running with it. They are visible, outspoken and anti-science and they have a large "following"... They happen to be Republicans. If you want to stop this nonsense, you'll have to shut up the Republicans who are issuing such nonsense, I'm afraid.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join