It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP lawmaker: Virtually impossible to get AIDS through heterosexual sex

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+23 more 
posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Tennessee state Sen. Stacey Campfield (R) falsely claimed on Thursday that it was nearly impossible for someone to contract AIDS through heterosexual contact.

“Most people realize that AIDS came from the homosexual community,” he told Michelangelo Signorile, who hosts a radio program on SiriusXM OutQ. “It was one guy screwing a monkey, if I recall correctly, and then having sex with men. It was an airline pilot, if I recall.”

“My understanding is that it is virtually — not completely, but virtually — impossible to contract AIDS through heterosexual sex.”

Raw Story (s.tt...)

Following on from the "Legitimate Rape" farce earlier this week and again - as an outside observer with no interaction with the US political system at all - this stuff is scary, and this guy is IN the Senate.

You would think that someone might have learned from Rep. Todd Akin's gaffe that facts need to be checked before replies are given, and that if you don't know an answer the honest thing to do is not comment on it, but apparently not.

What disturbs me is this - where has this guy been in the past 20 years or so? Has he had no access to basic health information? If so, what are they teaching you guys out there because this flies in the face of everything we've been taught over here in the UK regarding education on AIDS

I take on board that elected officials are not experts in subjects, but they ARE accountable for their words, surely its better to offer no comment than offer something as absurd as this? Its a dangerous message to be putting across.

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Yep, these are our elected officials people.

Any wonder the US is the way it is...

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

I will say it again!!! People who don't graduate highschool have to take a GED test to prove they are capable of working, well I will say again, that these idiots who think they are so much smarter than we are, should have to pass a damn GED BEFORE they even run for an election! Our government representative from BOTH parties have proven the failure of our education system in this country!

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I don't even know how to respond to this. Because we all know that the retraction that comes out tonight or tomorrow morning will be along the lines of; "I am deeply sorry I offended anyone, I simply misspoke despite my legislative voting record demonstrating that I have an issue with gay people." And there will be members of this forum that will defend that apology and the party platform that allows it because it is just one person. For the rational Republicans out there this is your problem, people like this that are either undereducated or just willfully ignorant. Quit courting the psychos.

Note: This article is dated 1-26-2012, OP should make that a bit more clear. I choose to let my comments stand as they are. His actual retraction was:

"I'm not a historian on AIDS," he said in an interview Friday. "But I've read and seen what other people have read and seen, and those facts are out there."

www.knoxnews.com...
edit on 22-8-2012 by KeliOnyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
jesus...what's arong with all of these republican congressmen?...someon spiking their drinks with truth serum?
or is this just a viral case of foot-in-mouth disease spreading among the GOP?

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Yes, it is scary.

What's even more scary are the thousands of people that voted for him...and the thousands that will still vote for him despite his comments.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Most people realize that AIDS came from the homosexual community

Most people realize that we evolved from apes, but there wrong just like you are.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

In twenty to thirty years I would posit that the US and most other countries/colonies will be very much like the world depicted in the following trailer for Idiocracy. I would suggest you see the entire movie as the trailer just doesn't do this vision of the "world" justice;

It seems this is the world the PTB want and they I expect will get it if there is no intervention.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 8/22.2012 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
oh my eye just twitched.

Mandatory IQ tests for all politicians.

link   

As soon as I saw that headline I knew it would be a Stacey Campfield story. He is truly one Tennessean that makes me hang my head in shame. He is a state senator (thank goodness not he is not federa!), so unfortunately we will have to put up with his stupidity until atleast 2014.

When he first made those comments back in January, one restaurant owner took such offense she banned him from her restaurant! Then my state representative stated he was her "role model". That did work out too good for her, she lost the primary!!! (happy dance, happy dance!!!)

Hopefully these idiots will be named/shamed and booted out next election cycle, like my rep was.

link   
My next door neighbor is an OB/GYN and we have had a discussion about this. The statement that he made is close to the quote posted by the OP. He said: "It is virtually impossible for MEN to get aids from heterosexual sex". The emphasis is mine for clarity of difference.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Yeah, at first I thought that it was just one Republican that happened to have a completely wrong viewpoint (regarding the "legitimate rape" comment), but now I'm beginning to see a dangerous pattern here...

Apparently, Republicans in the U.S. go out of their way to deny science for some reason.
edit on 22-8-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Boy I dont know what to say the ignorance is just astounding. Is this a set up or something because it is almost impossible to imagine the comments being made left and right these are not part of some bigger picture, they just cant be THAT ignorant can they?

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Is he making this statement as if to say it could not have been created due to heterosexual sex?

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Most of what the GOP says has no basis in reality, either scientific or otherwise.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I sincerely pray that the GOP and the Tea Party both wake up and quickly realize that dogmatic, dangerous, religious zealots have infected and co opted their parties.

Sincerely, I think that there are reasonable people in both movements who aren't quite aware of these things.

THIS OP is food for thought for conservatives.

~Heff
edit on 8/22/12 by Hefficide because: Yeah yeah yeah - we all know I never proof read and edit a lot! Leeme lone

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963

I will say it again!!! People who don't graduate highschool have to take a GED test to prove they are capable of working, well I will say again, that these idiots who think they are so much smarter than we are, should have to pass a damn GED BEFORE they even run for an election! Our government representative from BOTH parties have proven the failure of our education system in this country!

People should have to pass a civics class before being allowed to vote for the people who will run the country.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

I sincerely pray that the GOP and the Tea Party both wake up and quickly realize that dogmatic, dangerous, religious zealots have infected and co opted their parties.

Sincerely, I think that there are reasonable people in both movements who aren't quite aware these things.

THIS OP is food for thought for conservatives.

~Heff

The TEA party started out being quite reasonable, just wanted a discussion over taxation and deficit spending, but was quickly taken over by the extreme right wing religious element led by Sarah Palin and Michelle Bachmann.

Good idea to begin with, terrible group to be a part of now.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Most AIDs transmission in the US involves IV drug users and/or male to male sex.

Here is a link to the stats broken down by age and race.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   

How did the monkey get its license to fly?

So this is actually a politician... the whole line about aids originating from one guy having sex with a monkey sounds like something I would say when drunk and trolling. Wow.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join