It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pennsylvania Judge Won't Stop State Voter ID Law: (Be ready to show ID in November!)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

So you want tens of thousands of people to not be able to vote on a notion that hasn't been proven?

WOW, just wow.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by queenofswords

So if you have trouble walking, you now have to be made to get on a bus, and use government assistance, in order to get to the DMV and then do it again to vote?

This thread is full of a bunch of infants who have no idea what it is like to be disabled or a senior.

And when you are 90, and some young punk sends you to the back of a huge store to get something, instead of getting it for you, I hope you remember this moment.

Now I will ask this again, if the government said that EVERYONE has to take the bus in order to vote to reduce the carbon footprint, is it a problem then?

Then why are you making it a problem for the disabled, seniors, and students?

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Because they are protecting constitutional rights?

Let me ask you, why are you so obessessed with voter fraud that you are willing to force tens of thousands of citizens to have to jump through hoops in order to vote?

The right of citizens of the United States to vote and hold office shall not be denied or abridged by any State on the account of race, color, nativity, property, creed or previous condition of servitude.[6]

Constitution

ANY CITIZEN SHALL NOT BE DENIED to VOTE

by requiring an ID, the state is now saying they can deny the right to vote.

Or do you not follow the Constitution?

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

One could argue that people rights to vote are being abridged by having people who are not eligable to vote canceling out their votes by illegaly voting.
One could argue that peoples rights to vote are being abridged by having people stealing identities and using those identities to vote.

Being required to show ID is not abridging anyones right to vote. What it is doing is protecting an individuals right to vote by ensuring the above 2 dont occur.

Pennsylvania Voter Law
edit on 16-8-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   

I can't believe people here think it is ok to make people jumpt through hoops in order to vote.

If they required everyone to have to take the bus to get to the polling station to reduce a carbon footprint, you would be screaming murder and Nazi.

Jump through hoops? How? Everyone has an ID if they do any kind of business anywhere. You have to have an ID to even use a debit card, and government benefits come on Debit cards these days. There are no hoops.

As for the second part, I'd be thrilled to take a buss to a polling station, but public transportation is only available in urban areas, it is not available here where I live. BUT, I pass 5 polling stations between my work and my home. I could easily walk to a polling station from work, or from my house, but I can't catch a bus to one. If Obama had delivered on his "shovel ready jobs" like promised, then maybe I could take a bus to a polling station!

When I first started voting, you had to have you voter registration card and your ID to cast a vote. Now 20 years later, you only need a basic ID, you don't even need the registration card anymore, they have that information there for you already. It has gotten simpler, not more difficult.

When I voted this week, next to my name were my parents names, but they live in Missouri. Without the voter ID laws, I could easily have voted 3 times. I knew the names of 3 other people, in my district, that would not be voting, so I could easily have changed my t-shirt and stopped by the polling station 3 times throughout the day. The ID laws is NECESSARY.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   

"ANY CITIZEN"

So, a green card will work for an ID.

They are not denying anyone a right to vote, they are making sure the people that are voting are registered voters, in that district, who are citizens, and who are only voting one time.

Too bad your statement is wrong to begin with though. The Constitution doesn't say any such thing about "any citizen." Some of the amendments say specific things like not being denied a right based on religion or age, but in general the voting rights are left up to each individual state. Maybe you should brush up on your Constitution knowledge before quoting it. There's even a Wiki Page, specifically naming each amendment that mentions voting.

The part you quoted said they cannot deny the right based on certain qualifiers like religion, race, creed, age, but it doesn't say "any citizen."
edit on 16-8-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

As I have pointed out 2 or 3 times now, there is no voter fraud in Pennsylvania.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

As I have pointed out 2 or 3 times now, there is no voter fraud in Pennsylvania.

Based on?

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

"ANY CITIZEN"

So, a green card will work for an ID.

They are not denying anyone a right to vote, they are making sure the people that are voting are registered voters, in that district, who are citizens, and who are only voting one time.

Too bad your statement is wrong to begin with though. The Constitution doesn't say any such thing about "any citizen." Some of the amendments say specific things like not being denied a right based on religion or age, but in general the voting rights are left up to each individual state. Maybe you should brush up on your Constitution knowledge before quoting it. There's even a [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voting_rights_in_the_United_States]Wiki Page[/url[, specifically naming each amendment that mentions voting.

The part you quoted said they cannot deny the right based on certain qualifiers like religion, race, creed, age, but it doesn't say "any citizen."

A green card grants permiment residence, it does NOT establish citizenship.

Um citizen means any citizen.
You are either a citizen or you are not.

You are right that the original Amendment was vague which is why they developed the voters rights act in 1965, to make it broader.

"voting qualification or prerequisite to voting, or standard, practice, or procedure ... to deny or abridge the right of any citizen of the United States to vote on account of race or color.

They had to do that because some states came up with a qualification of having to read in order to discriminate against the illerate black poor at the time.

This new legislation is not any different, and the number of people here, who are supposedly against government intervention, that are supporting it, is quite disturbing.

edit on 16-8-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   

IN the links I provided which I am not posting again.

If you are supporting fraud that you haven't even bothered to look up, I am not going out of my way to prove their isn't.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
So while we are at it, why don't we develop a National ID system, so the Feds can make sure that there is absolutely no fraud in any state.

Then you can go to the new federal ID office, with three forms of documentation, to prove to the government that you are a citizen, and then the feds can keep the registered Citizens ID base.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   

So while we are at it, why don't we develop a National ID system, so the Feds can make sure that there is absolutely no fraud in any state.

Then you can go to the new federal ID office, with three forms of documentation, to prove to the government that you are a citizen, and then the feds can keep the registered Citizens ID base.

Where have you been?

Real ID Act

We already have it, and it is being implemented as we speak. If you haven't renewed your Driver's License yet, better start collecting your documents. The next time you renew you'll need your birth certificate, shot records, a dirty sock, hair and blood sample....... OK, it isn't quite that bad, but it is pretty bad.

ETA:
I bet Obama can't get a Driver's License with his "short-form" BC.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Again, what you quoted only says "based on race or color."

They are not violating that either.

How do they know the person is 18 years old and an actual citizen? Well, by pre-registering of course, and when they pre-registered, they had to show ID. And, when they show up to vote, they need to also show ID to make sure they are the same person that registered.

Hell, why don't we get rid of the registration altogether? That is surely much more encumbersome than just flashing and ID card. Why not just have open voting like American Idol?

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   

(1) Prohibit the enactment of any election law to deny or abridge voting rights
on account of race or color;
(2) Suspend all literacy tests in states and counties that used them and where less
than 50% of adults had voted in 1964;
(3) Prohibit the enforcement of new voting rules or practices until federal
reviewers determine if their use would continue voting discrimination;
(4) Assign federal examiners to list qualified applicants to vote and to serve as
poll watchers;
(5) Authorize the Attorney General to institute civil actions to seek enforcement
of the act; and
(6) Prohibits any person acting under color of law or otherwise from
intimidating or denying any eligible person from voting.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I didn't have to show ID to register.

Maybe that is something you have to take up with your state.

edit on 16-8-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   

So you can't take the bus but you automatically assume that all the referenced poor, minorities and seniors have access to transporation? Especially since they don't have an ID to begin with?

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Now since you are all heavily debating that voter ID is needed to reduce fraud, fraud that doesn't exist, and that none has even occurred in Pennsylvania.

How about the fact that illegal identification is a booming business for China. That the rates of illegal identification have risen drastically over the years, and you can buy illegal IDs off the internet.

So you want to force people to get ID to prevent fraud that doesnt even exist, to use IDs that are now highly counterfeited.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   

I addressed your question.

As for the second part, I'd be thrilled to take a buss to a polling station, but public transportation is only available in urban areas, it is not available here where I live. BUT, I pass 5 polling stations between my work and my home. I could easily walk to a polling station from work, or from my house, but I can't catch a bus to one. If Obama had delivered on his "shovel ready jobs" like promised, then maybe I could take a bus to a polling station!

I could easily walk to a polling station from my home (and I live 5 miles outside of town, in a rural area), but my polling station is less than a half-mile away. I also know they run many free transportation services from nursing homes, impoverished areas, etc. Usually it is the Democrats running that transportation, and there is no law against campaigning on the way to the poll! In fact, my polling station sits a couple of hundred yards off the street, so the laws restricting campaigning don't apply out in the ends of the parking lot and driveway!

BUT, you're question was if I would be upset if they "required" us to use public transportation, and my answer is "NO." I think that is a great idea, but first they'll have to create the public transportation, and I seem to remember Obama campaigning on that very notion, and then failing to deliver. I wish they would fix it and make it more Euro-style. The Amtrak station in my town closed, and even when it was open it was more expensive to take the train than it was to fly.

The public transportation system is broken, the airlines are broken, the political process is broken, and I just don't see how requiring an ID to vote is in any way an issue.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   

So you can't take the bus but you automatically assume that all the referenced poor, minorities and seniors have access to transporation? Especially since they don't have an ID to begin with?

They get government benefits don't they? They need an ID to cash a government check or use a government Debit card or Food Stamps. They need an ID to use Medicaid and Medicare benefits. They need an ID to pick up prescriptions from the pharmacy.

They need an ID to get a job, maybe that is why they're poor? They can't figure out how to get an ID to go get a job?

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   

In a word YES!!

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join