It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egg yolk consumption almost as bad as smoking when it comes to atherosclerosis

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea
Let's take a look at the health benefits of (organic eggs)...you may be surprised.
How does that compare to the health effects of inorganic eggs?

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Read the link I provided; the information in it answers your question.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I'll be eating my two boiled eggs every 2-3 days. As usual. They come out with so many studies I don't even care any more. Everything can kill you according to scientists.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Am I a scientist? No but I can tell you this study is bogus. Eggs are one of the most nutritional things you can eat and the fact the study was done on people with heart problems already tells me all I need to know. 20 years ago or so they tested eggs on rabbits and were surprised they got fat and said "eggs are bad".

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
What a joke,they are so determined to take away all that you need and is good for you. Its a whole food, real food, and the egg yolk contains the right kind of cholesterol, the kind that clears your arteries.

So whatever new study their distorted pharma serving and corporation serving scientists come up with, my rule of thumb is: if they demonize it, its needed. And their frankenstein crapola is very bad.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I can tell most of you didn't read the article. It says it should be avoided by people at high risk for the disease not everyone. I have had high cholesterol since I was a child, this puts me at very high risk for early heart disease. It means people like me shouldn't be eating egg yolks. If you have heart disease you should be limiting animal foods in general as they are a high density source of cholesterol.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Well my friend from Europe, has a completely different attitude about eggs. They're high protein and the cholesterol lowers the bad cholesterol in your blood. So its one of the diets that worked for her constantly, whenever she needed to loose 5 or 10 lbs, and also, those who had high cholesterol were often on egg diets. So one needs to do some research on these things, beyond their agenda's.

cholesterol is your bodies natural repair mechanism, and yes it can build up in your arteries but it goes to areas that need healing, such as our table salt that had the iodide taken out, and something harmful put in as a replacement, harming our arteries.

So people really need to do their own research and ensure no one messes with their food and what their bodies need.

edit on 15-8-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Well, a story about your friend from Europe isn't science. Have a nice day.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by antonia

No, but what they did, was much more right on and natural. Considering in those days, we had real news, and tons of articles in the province and sun, even the news channels that would investigate and get expert thought and counter every story put out by the leaders. And we had many published medical reports about eggs and cholesterol. Even in those days, they knew that eggs contained good cholesterol that controlled the bad.

www.canada.com...

Oh and much more. The reason they're demonizing eggs is because organic eggs like liver, has fatty vitamins in it, K2, A, B's, that prevent cancer. And promote healthy teeth and bones. Non pasteurized milk as well.

Some research has even questioned the connection between egg consumption and cardiovascular disease. A study published in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition showed that risk of cardiovascular disease in men and women did not increase with increasing egg consumption. In fact, it showed quite the opposite. From their findings of analyzing more than 27,000 subjects, they indicated that the egg consumers actually had lower serum cholesterol levels than those subjects who abstained from eggs....

These people include those with high cholesterol and/or high triglyceride levels.

news.menshealth.com...

Two new studies from the University of Connecticut recently presented at the Experimental Biology conference found that eating eggs actually improved cholesterol levels and reduced disease-producing inflammation in the body.

The joke of it is this is new studies. We had old studies done decades ago and published in our papers when I was a teenager, I'm 49 now, saying the same thing.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Shouldn't you be doing that already?

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
www.treelight.com...

Summary
Cholesterol isn't the problem it has been made out to be -- and the drugs your doctor prescribes to lower your cholesterol counts probably won't do much for your health....

Cholesterol is very necessary stuff. It's converted into Vitamin D by sunlight, and it's the precursor for steroid hormones like the testosterone you need to grow, and the estrogen women need to be feminine.

The liver manufactures something like 1,000 mg of cholesterol per day, even if you consume no cholesterol at all. Of that amount, about 800 mg becomes bile salts, which is necessary for the digestion of fats.[Guyton, 885] That leaves about 200 available for other functions....

metabolichealing.com...

Cholesterol is among the most vital, if not the most vital lipids inside of the human body. Its denigration by conventional mainstream dogma over the past several decades defies the actual science that flies in the face of cholesterol's debased reputation. Not only is there no such thing whatsoever as "good" and "bad" cholesterol, both LDL (the so called "bad) and HDL (the so called "good") cholesterol are not even cholesterol, they are lipoproteins, transport mechanisms for cholesterol. Efforts to reduce the body's production of cholesterol and its adjacent lipoproteins, whether through medical intervention, or through nutritional intervention, may have very serious repercussions for one's health.

The overwhelming majority of cholesterol in the blood is manufactured by the liver and is not derived from dietary sources of cholesterol...

Your Body Cannot Function Without Cholesterol

Among cholesterol's most essential functions, is its presence in all of the trillions of cell membranes of the body. What is it doing there? It is one of the primary structural components of the membrane of a cell. Without adequate cholesterol, cells will break apart due to a lack of integrity.

And in recent times, they have discovered that their medications to lower cholesterol didn't work and reduce deaths.

So, attacking the healer instead of finding the thing that is harming the body and dealing with that is an odd approach.

Of course, this is being said to start a journey of research, not to get people to jump off medications. Its something they need to search and find the answers and look at the whole body of research.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
There is no condition that would put me off organic eggs, in fact would be seeking them out. But what is in eggs and liver can also be taken in supplement form, if you look for quality supplements, those that are organic, and from good sources, and non radiated.

You can take K2 and various ortho bone fatty soluable vitamins and you basically have to do some research and perhaps talk with various health food experts.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by leosnake

Thanks for this link. I've sometimes ate eggs but I'll have to keep track of it now. I already thought I knew that eating too much animal product usually results in too much risk to the arteries. And I had previously read that egg yolks are fatty. I've removed them from peahen eggs.

There're many vital nutrients in animal products, but you can get most or all of them from supplements if you know what you're doing. The problem is most people don't. It's hard to do it. You may also try to learn about the mediterranean diet. Fish do not have as much of the bad fats that animals do. But another important thing is the increased vegetable and nuts consumption. Although I'd recommend to stay away from peanuts since they can have Aflatoxin and some are polluted.

A while back I was researching Atherosclerosis because a member of my family had a heart valve replacement surgery. I wanted to understand what plaque is why our arteries get old.

See here:
www.whfoods.com ...
edit on 15-8-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xertious
reply to post by antonia

Shouldn't you be doing that already?

I already do it. The problem with studies like this is you can tell people all day what is good for them and show them the evidence but if it means they will have to make a serious life change they won't do it.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Oh and much more. The reason they're demonizing eggs is because organic eggs like liver, has fatty vitamins in it, K2, A, B's, that prevent cancer. And promote healthy teeth and bones. Non pasteurized milk as well.

These are also present in plants without the drawbacks. You can google and come up with hundreds of studies concerning cholesterol. Really, extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof of which you have none right now.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Egg Yolk was always considered bad when consumed too much unlike the White counterpart. I remember my Mom used to take out the Yolk in boiled eggs and keep it aside to throw away, i sneak in and used to eat them!

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22882905
www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0021915012005047

Atherosclerosis
Available online 31 July 2012
In Press, Corrected Proof

Egg yolk consumption and carotid plaque

* J. David Spence a,
* David J.A. Jenkins b,
* Jean Davignon c, d, e

* a Stroke Prevention & Atherosclerosis Research Centre, Robarts Research Institute, 1400 Western Road, London, ON N6G 2V2, Canada
* b Canada Research Chair in Nutrition and Metabolism, Risk Factor Modification Centre, St. Michael's Hospital, Toronto, ON, Canada
* c Clinique de nutrition métabolisme et athérosclérose, Institut de recherches cliniques de Montréal, Canada
* d University of Montreal, Canada
* e McGill University, Montréal, QC, Canada

* Received 11 February 2012. Revised 17 July 2012. Accepted 18 July 2012. Available online 31 July 2012.
* dx.doi.org...

Abstract

Background

Increasingly the potential harm from high cholesterol intake, and specifically from egg yolks, is considered insignificant. We therefore assessed total plaque area (TPA) in patients attending Canadian vascular prevention clinics to determine if the atherosclerosis burden, as a marker of arterial damage, was related to egg intake. To provide perspective on the magnitude of the effect, we also analysed the effect of smoking (pack-years).

Methods

Consecutive patients attending vascular prevention clinics at University Hospital had baseline measurement of TPA by duplex ultrasound, and filled out questionnaires regarding their lifestyle and medications, including pack-years of smoking, and the number of egg yolks consumed per week times the number of years consumed (egg-yolk years).

Results

Data were available in 1262 patients; mean (SD) age was 61.5 (14.8) years; 47% were women. Carotid plaque area increased linearly with age after age 40, but increased exponentially with pack-years of smoking and with egg-yolk years. Plaque area in patients consuming

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

I am trying to guess if you are joking or not.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Egg yolk was demonized and considered bad by some. I guess we were fortunate to grow up in a family that always followed news and studies, my dad was a science teacher, and omni/science digest too. But the other side was always following nutrition, and we all knew that eggs were good for you.

www.marysgarden.com...

I'm trying to find some write ups on what is in organic eggs, like the organic and more european style butters, unpasteurized.

But its not just bones, this was some research done on cancer too, and also,good for joints. Coconut oil is also good for joints and you need quite a bit of it, virgin pressed. The good oils are essential for our body and regulate cholesterol, they also heal us, so that what is causing the harm stops harming. In salt that would be the bromine, and we really require the iodide.

chriskresser.com...

As we know, vitamin K2 is one of the most important nutrients that is greatly lacking in the American diet. (7) Vitamin K2 is a product of bacterial fermentation, so kefir is a likely a good source of this nutrient, especially if made with milk from pastured animals. (8) Vitamin K2 plays a key role in calcium metabolism, where it is used to deposit calcium in appropriate locations, such as in the bones and teeth, and prevent it from depositing in locations where it does not belong, such as the soft tissues and the arteries. (9) Since kefir is high in calcium and phosphorus and also contains vitamin K2, drinking kefir is likely beneficial to bone health, providing the essential minerals needed for bone growth as well as the vitamin K2 needed to effectively deposit those minerals in the bone....

Certain compounds in kefir may play a role in regulating immune function, allergic response, and inflammation. One study found that kefiran, a sugar byproduct of the kefir culture, may reduce allergic inflammation by suppressing mast cell degranulation and cytokine production. (10) Another study found that certain bacteria in the kefir culture inhibited IgE production, helping to moderate the body’s allergic response. (11)

Research has also demonstrated that kefir may have an anti-tumor effect. In one study, kefir consumption inhibited tumor growth and induced the apoptotic form of tumor cell lysis, suggesting that kefir may play a role in cancer prevention. (12) When applied topically, kefir and its polysaccharide compounds have even been shown to be effective antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory agents for improved wound healing. (13) (14)

Anti tumor affects, immune system, etc etc.

When you start to research what is in these things, from organic eggs to unpasteurized but clean (clean bill of health to the cows) dairy, unprocessed. Processing, cooking at high temperatures all kill the important nutrients.

You start to realize how the Government and the Corporations, are literally causing our health problems and many people's deaths.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by leosnake

Egg yolk consumption almost as bad as smoking when it comes to atherosclerosis

scienceblog.com

Newly published research led by Dr. David Spence of Western University, Canada, shows that eating egg yolks accelerates atherosclerosis in a manner similar to smoking cigarettes
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 8/15/2012 by semperfortis because: Fixed Link

Well then, I suppose people should not smoke after eating breakfast...

So pizza and Pepsi is now good for breakfast?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join