It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egg yolk consumption almost as bad as smoking when it comes to atherosclerosis

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
MMMmmmmmm....Eggs!

And Bacon!

And fried Hash Browns in butter!

I'm not living life to lead a bland, boring life eating bland, boring food.

I'm here to have a good time and enjoy myself.

I may be here shorter than others, but check out my signature. That is how I live.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Except you need the complete proteins and the plants are not the same. Some people usually its B blood, do well on vegetarian or vegan diets, but 0 blood doesnt. And so health is very important and researching it and doing what works for you. I've tried vegetarian, not vegan, diet and couldn't do it. My health disintegrated.

Again everyone needs to research. However, the old fashioned whole foods are far better than any thing they promote today.
edit on 15-8-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
If the study is only looking at people with heart problems, then it is seriously flawed.

Do the people in the study have fried eggs or boiled eggs?

Do they eat their eggs with bacon, cheese and sauages? Or do they have it with a salad etc

Whilst eggs are high in cholestrol, dietery cholestrol has a much smaller impact on your cholestrol levels than people think.

Saturated fat increases cholestrol in the body, and the average egg contains just 1.5g of saturated fat, around 10% of your daily intake.

Eggs, when boiled etc are very good for you.

www.webmd.com...

Part of the confusion comes from the fact that cholesterol in food isn't the same thing as the cholesterol that clogs arteries. To be sure, foods high in cholesterol can cause blood levels of cholesterol to rise. But only about one in three people seem to be especially susceptible to the effects of cholesterol in food.

One source of confusion has long been eggs. A typical egg contains about 200 milligrams of cholesterol, but only 1.5 grams of saturated fat. When researchers first linked high blood cholesterol levels to heart disease, eggs got a bad rap.

But there's never been good evidence that eggs are a major factor in high blood cholesterol levels or a contributing cause of heart disease.

In fact, when researchers at Harvard Medical School analyzed data from almost 120,000 men and women, they found that eating the equivalent of an egg a day did not increase the risk of heart disease or stroke. A more recent Harvard Medical School study, published in 2008, also found that otherwise healthy men could eat up to seven eggs a day with little risk. The only danger showed up in men with diabetes, which is known to increase heart disease risk.

Indeed, studies suggest that only about 30% of people are particularly susceptible to the effects of dietary cholesterol on blood cholesterol levels.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Along with ACV -- apple cider vinegar -- just buy cayenne in bulk.

I get 10 pounds of cayenne and then whenever I had dairy or eggs or meat I just use a lot of cayenne. Clears out the sinuses, increases your energy, thins the blood platelets, kills cancer.

You can order it online -- it's something like $50 for 10 pounds but it's about 5 times cheaper than retail in smaller amounts. It takes me about six months or nine months to go through 10 pounds.

Yeah you can definitely tell corn fed eggs versus grass fed eggs.

This website has a directory of grass fed animal food

Even "free range" or "organic" doesn't necessarily mean grass fed although usually that will include some grass feeding. So even 50% pasture fed will be better than just corn fed.

Pastured poultry: poultry kept in movable, floorless pens, moved daily over fresh range pasture; the pens, called "chicken tractors", also contain waterers and grain-feeders; unlike ruminants, chickens need a certain amount of grain along with their grass; if allowed free access to grass, chickens will consume up to 30% of their calories in grass and green plants; pasturing creates the very healthiest chicken meat and eggs (and creates very fertile pastureland, too)

edit on 15-8-2012 by fulllotusqigong because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by leosnake

Better start banning eggs. I don't want my food prepared in a similar setting to those eggs! CROSSCONTAMINATION! aka:secondhand egg. regulate!

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
The wide-held belief that eggs and other animal products are bad for you is detrimental to the health of millions of people today.

Myths & Truths

MYTH: People with high cholesterol are more prone to heart attacks.

TRUTH: Young and middle-aged men with cholesterol levels over 350 are slightly more at risk for heart attacks. Those who have cholesterol levels just below 350 are at no greater risk than those whose cholesterol is very low. For elderly men and for women of all ages, high cholesterol is associated with a longer lifespan.

MYTH: Cholesterol & saturated fat clog arteries.

TRUTH: There is very little cholesterol or saturated fat in the arterial plaque or clogs. Most of the material is a calcium deposit akin to lime and most of the fatty acids are unsaturated.

MYTH: Eating saturated fat and cholesterol-rich foods will cause cholesterol levels to rise and make people more susceptible to heart disease.

TRUTH: Many studies show no relationship between diet and cholesterol levels; there is no evidence that saturated fat and cholesterol-rich food contribute to heart disease. As Americans have cut back on saturated fat and cholesterol-rich foods, rates of heart disease have gone up.

MYTH: Cholesterol-lowering drugs have saved many lives.

TRUTH: In the two most recent trials, involving over 10,000 subjects, cholesterol-lowering did not result in any improvement in outcome.

MYTH: Countries that have a high consumption of animal fat and cholesterol have higher rates of heart disease.

TRUTH: There are many exceptions to this observation, such as France and Spain. Furthermore, an association (called a “risk factor”) is not the same as a cause. In wealthy countries where people eat a lot of animal foods, many other factors exist that can contribute to heart disease.

Weston A. Price Foundation

Also, another good article to read: Myths and Truths About Nutrition

I hope you'll read more about Weston Price's research, it is very eye opening.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeRpeons
I'm dead. Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. What's a breakfast without eggs?

Substitute eggs for extra bacon?

I mean, an eggs not worth a heart attack.

But bacon? so worth one.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by leosnake

Hold on, how the hell did they manage to find a group of people to test that only ate the yolk of the egg ?

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by wujotvowujotvowujotvo
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22882905
www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0021915012005047

Atherosclerosis
Available online 31 July 2012
In Press, Corrected Proof

Egg yolk consumption and carotid plaque

* J. David Spence a,
* David J.A. Jenkins b,
* Jean Davignon c, d, e

* a Stroke Prevention & Atherosclerosis Research Centre, Robarts Research Institute, 1400 Western Road, London, ON N6G 2V2, Canada
* b Canada Research Chair in Nutrition and Metabolism, Risk Factor Modification Centre, St. Michael's Hospital, Toronto, ON, Canada
* c Clinique de nutrition métabolisme et athérosclérose, Institut de recherches cliniques de Montréal, Canada
* d University of Montreal, Canada
* e McGill University, Montréal, QC, Canada

* Received 11 February 2012. Revised 17 July 2012. Accepted 18 July 2012. Available online 31 July 2012.
* dx.doi.org...

Abstract

Background

Increasingly the potential harm from high cholesterol intake, and specifically from egg yolks, is considered insignificant. We therefore assessed total plaque area (TPA) in patients attending Canadian vascular prevention clinics to determine if the atherosclerosis burden, as a marker of arterial damage, was related to egg intake. To provide perspective on the magnitude of the effect, we also analysed the effect of smoking (pack-years).

Methods

Consecutive patients attending vascular prevention clinics at University Hospital had baseline measurement of TPA by duplex ultrasound, and filled out questionnaires regarding their lifestyle and medications, including pack-years of smoking, and the number of egg yolks consumed per week times the number of years consumed (egg-yolk years).

Results

Data were available in 1262 patients; mean (SD) age was 61.5 (14.8) years; 47% were women. Carotid plaque area increased linearly with age after age 40, but increased exponentially with pack-years of smoking and with egg-yolk years. Plaque area in patients consuming

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
1. I wonder when Bloomberg will ban eggs in New York?

2. As a child, we used to put raw eggs in orange juice and put it in a blender. YUM!

3. So now the jingle will go. . . "The incredible edible egg, (that will kill you). . . . . . .

what's wrong with you.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Suspiria
HAHAHAHA So who lined his pockets? Given more and more people are taking to keeping their own chickens these days to save cash it's time to make eggs the bad guy again. Naughty people obviously aren't spending enough money in the shops, damn you people who grow and raise your own, damn you. *shakes fist*

Next week the shops will be full of lovely cartons of packaged NEW HEALTHIER EGGS and everyone will go nuts.....
Agreed.
Frighten people away frm doing their own so they buy the NEW and IMPROVED

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by calendula
The wide-held belief that eggs and other animal products are bad for you is detrimental to the health of millions of people today.

Myths & Truths

MYTH: People with high cholesterol are more prone to heart attacks.

TRUTH: Young and middle-aged men with cholesterol levels over 350 are slightly more at risk for heart attacks. Those who have cholesterol levels just below 350 are at no greater risk than those whose cholesterol is very low. For elderly men and for women of all ages, high cholesterol is associated with a longer lifespan.

MYTH: Cholesterol & saturated fat clog arteries.

TRUTH: There is very little cholesterol or saturated fat in the arterial plaque or clogs. Most of the material is a calcium deposit akin to lime and most of the fatty acids are unsaturated.

MYTH: Eating saturated fat and cholesterol-rich foods will cause cholesterol levels to rise and make people more susceptible to heart disease.

TRUTH: Many studies show no relationship between diet and cholesterol levels; there is no evidence that saturated fat and cholesterol-rich food contribute to heart disease. As Americans have cut back on saturated fat and cholesterol-rich foods, rates of heart disease have gone up.

MYTH: Cholesterol-lowering drugs have saved many lives.

TRUTH: In the two most recent trials, involving over 10,000 subjects, cholesterol-lowering did not result in any improvement in outcome.

MYTH: Countries that have a high consumption of animal fat and cholesterol have higher rates of heart disease.

TRUTH: There are many exceptions to this observation, such as France and Spain. Furthermore, an association (called a “risk factor”) is not the same as a cause. In wealthy countries where people eat a lot of animal foods, many other factors exist that can contribute to heart disease.

Weston A. Price Foundation

Also, another good article to read: Myths and Truths About Nutrition

I hope you'll read more about Weston Price's research, it is very eye opening.

Brilliant.
second

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
If you just want to link any study to make a point, I can do that too.

See:
en.wikipedia.org...

The authors write that "several studies have now shown, in both experimental animals and in humans, that consuming animal-based protein increases blood cholesterol levels. Saturated fat and dietary cholesterol also raise blood cholesterol, although these nutrients are not as effective at doing this as is animal protein. In contrast, plant-based foods contain no cholesterol and, in various other ways, help to decrease the amount of cholesterol made by the body." They write that "these disease associations with blood cholesterol were remarkable, because blood cholesterol and animal-based food consumption both were so low by American standards. In rural China, animal protein intake (for the same individual) averages only 7.1 grams per day whereas Americans average 70 grams per day."[12]

They conclude that "the findings from the China Study indicate that the lower the percentage of animal-based foods that are consumed, the greater the health benefits—even when that percentage declines from 10% to 0% of calories. So it's not unreasonable to assume that the optimum percentage of animal-based products is zero, at least for anyone with a predisposition for a degenerative disease.

People hand pick studies to support whatever preconception they have about diet or health.

It's not about meat or no meat. It's about nutrients and overall lifestyle choices.

These days, if you know what you're doing, you can get what you need from supplements. If you like extra helpings of meat then there's no reason you have to stop eating it. You just have to learn to get the right supplements to compensate. Same thing for those who prefer vegetables or nuts.

Ray Kurzweil wrote this book which was published in 1993:
en.wikipedia.org...

Atherosclerosis is a disease which is characterized by a progressive buildup of rigid material inside artery walls and channels. Eventually, they become so clogged that blood flow is stopped and the victim suffers a heart attack. This disease is caused by excess cholesterol in the bloodstream and afflicts approximately ninety percent of Americans, though it is a gradual process and may not even be detectable until later life.

Kurzweil cites various studies showing that increased levels of atherosclerosis in America and other western countries are linked to high levels of caloric fat intake. In much of Asia, fat intake is around ten percent of total food energy consumed, and heart disease there is almost nonexistent. Kurzweil goes on to show that in America, closer to forty percent of caloric intake is from fat.

His family had a history of heart disease so he went on a journey to figure it out and he wrote this book as a consequence of his study into diet and health. He's a supplement devotee. I mean, this guy probably takes dozens of supplements every day in addition to his dietary allowances.

And you know what? He could die next year. Things aren't clear. My grandpa was an alcoholic and was borderline diabetic in his 60's and 70's. He chewed tobacco and drank alcohol for most of his life. He loved tv dinners. He lived to be 100. He was still cutting trees until 93. People can break dietary rules and still live a long time. Many vegetarians have lived until their 80's or 90's. They have fallen short of b12 and fatty acids requirements, but even meat eaters fall short of b12 because most/all people over 52 can't absorb it effectively. Most everyone over 52 has to take b12 supplements.

See, you can hand pick anything you want. People have all sorts of opinions. Even if you make bad choices you can still live a long time. The body is hard to kill, especially if you get important things right: exercise, job, friends, don't live in a chemical waste dump (have some common sense), etc.
edit on 15-8-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Suspiria
HAHAHAHA So who lined his pockets? Given more and more people are taking to keeping their own chickens these days to save cash it's time to make eggs the bad guy again. Naughty people obviously aren't spending enough money in the shops, damn you people who grow and raise your own, damn you. *shakes fist*

Next week the shops will be full of lovely cartons of packaged NEW HEALTHIER EGGS and everyone will go nuts.....

Eggsactly!

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by jonnywhite
If you just want to link any study to make a point, I can do that too.

See:
en.wikipedia.org...

The authors write that "several studies have now shown, in both experimental animals and in humans, that consuming animal-based protein increases blood cholesterol levels. Saturated fat and dietary cholesterol also raise blood cholesterol, although these nutrients are not as effective at doing this as is animal protein. In contrast, plant-based foods contain no cholesterol and, in various other ways, help to decrease the amount of cholesterol made by the body." They write that "these disease associations with blood cholesterol were remarkable, because blood cholesterol and animal-based food consumption both were so low by American standards. In rural China, animal protein intake (for the same individual) averages only 7.1 grams per day whereas Americans average 70 grams per day."[12]

They conclude that "the findings from the China Study indicate that the lower the percentage of animal-based foods that are consumed, the greater the health benefits—even when that percentage declines from 10% to 0% of calories. So it's not unreasonable to assume that the optimum percentage of animal-based products is zero, at least for anyone with a predisposition for a degenerative disease.

People hand pick studies to support whatever preconception they have about diet or health.

It's not about meat or no meat. It's about nutrients and overall lifestyle choices.

These days, if you know what you're doing, you can get what you need from supplements. If you like extra helpings of meat then there's no reason you have to stop eating it. You just have to learn to get the right supplements to compensate. Same thing for those who prefer vegetables or nuts.

Ray Kurzweil wrote this book which was published in 1993:
en.wikipedia.org...

Atherosclerosis is a disease which is characterized by a progressive buildup of rigid material inside artery walls and channels. Eventually, they become so clogged that blood flow is stopped and the victim suffers a heart attack. This disease is caused by excess cholesterol in the bloodstream and afflicts approximately ninety percent of Americans, though it is a gradual process and may not even be detectable until later life.

Kurzweil cites various studies showing that increased levels of atherosclerosis in America and other western countries are linked to high levels of caloric fat intake. In much of Asia, fat intake is around ten percent of total food energy consumed, and heart disease there is almost nonexistent. Kurzweil goes on to show that in America, closer to forty percent of caloric intake is from fat.

His family had a history of heart disease so he went on a journey to figure it out and he wrote this book as a consequence of his study into diet and health. He's a supplement devotee. I mean, this guy probably takes dozens of supplements every day in addition to his dietary allowances.

And you know what? He could die next year. Things aren't clear. My grandpa was an alcoholic and was borderline diabetic in his 60's and 70's. He chewed tobacco and drank alcohol for most of his life. He loved tv dinners. He lived to be 100. He was still cutting trees until 93. People can break dietary rules and still live a long time. Many vegetarians have lived until their 80's or 90's. They have fallen short of b12 and fatty acids requirements, but even meat eaters fall short of b12 because most/all people over 52 can't absorb it effectively. Most everyone over 52 has to take b12 supplements.

See, you can hand pick anything you want. People have all sorts of opinions. Even if you make bad choices you can still live a long time. The body is hard to kill, especially if you get important things right: exercise, job, friends, don't live in a chemical waste dump (have some common sense), etc.
edit on 15-8-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

Firstly, you need to ask what types of fats are Americans eating? Processed, hydrogenated fats made mostly from vegetables are a common ingredient in most American diets today (think soybean and corn oil--usually genetically modified to boot). These fats can and do cause health problems. The fat in the egg yolks from my pastured hens? Not so much. The fat on my grass fed steak, no sir.

Secondly, we are assuming that cholesterol and saturated fat are a bad thing. This just is not true however! The real health-killing culprits in the American diet are refined grains, sugars, and processed vegetable oils.

This clip from the documentary "Fat Head" does a nice job explaining this in a couple minutes:

www.youtube.com...
edit on 16-8-2012 by calendula because: Don't know how to upload a video.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by edged1

On further reflection I don't think it is strictly about getting to people buy, and yes I do understand the study is supposed to be a warning to people who already have cholesterol problems but in that regard tabloids will just cherry pick fear mongering headlines and the media fed public will start panicking about eggs in general. I wonder if this is a convenient poke in the eye to survivalists who powder and preserve their own eggs, after all it seem's there is a dim view on self sufficiency and stocking up in the US.

Oh and abeverage, your art is eggstraordinary.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
If this is true which I don't believe it is, then I should not only have atherosclerosis but probably be dead by now cause I love eggs and I eat it every gods morning. Pfft

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
the study is a joke, they interviewed 1231 men and women with a mean age of 61.5 who smoked and not smoked but ate eggs. they asked them on average how many eggs they consumed over the years. that proves nothing. did they ask them how many fritos or doughnuts or any other plethora of fatty foods they ate on average?

did they ask them or research their family history for high cholesterol or plaque build up?
they'll write anything to keep the grant money flowing eh.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I guess I am the only one who thinks eggs are bad for you

My reasoning being that though eating eggs from a bird or indeed animal is considered normal it is unnatural.
To eat eggs is to against the natural purpose of what an egg is.

However my personal philosophy is one should eat what one wishes to eat.
My only reason for this post is to put an alternative view for consideration.
If I did not I would not be being honest to my self.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
The people who do these studies don't take important things into consideration. The egg has a lot more good points than bad. How you cook an egg makes a big difference. If it is fried over easy it has many different properties than if it is scrambled. So Egg noodles are bad. The egg is scrambled and mixed with anhydrous flour. That is bad but sure tastes good when cooked and mixed with butter, Parmesan cheese and salt.

You have to include preparation methods and companion foods to judge overall health effects from food. So eating cereal is the other option, there are a lot of worse allergies to cereals if eaten every day. I can't believe someone actually pays these researchers a salary for this kind of crap. Eat what you want when you crave it. Use moderation in your eating habbits. Everyone has different things they can and can't eat and recipies by our ancestors took care of lots of these allergies and intollerances. Most old recipies had antidotes built into recipies to stop agglutination of red blood cells that caused a lot of circulatory problems. The antigens in bloodtype diets is real but these can be neutralized.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join