It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Julian Assange will be granted asylum, says official

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iamschist
Should he be given Diplomatic status he could not be touched,

I suppose it would not be the first time an (alleged) sex criminal escapes justice by claiming they were a diplomat.

However, I think it’s a bit more complicated than simply being appointed a diplomat. Diplomats can still be arrested and I think it pretty doubtful the Ecuadorians would play a silly game and antagonise the UK.

Under asylum, Assange needs to demonstrate he will be persecuted in his home country – Australia. It’s all becoming a bit comical.

Question – Does asylum give rights over and above the extradition? Probably not. Assange is just playing a game. He’s playing the victim.

Assange needs to face his accusers in Sweden.

Regards

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

It is my understanding that Diplomats in England, do escape crime, however, the status of Diplomat must be convieved by the host country. In London that is the Court of St James, and that doesn't seem likely, so yes it is looking like a farce, I am surprised cause I thought Assange would have looked into all of the angles and have a plan. This news just broke, so maybe he still does have a plan of how to get to Ecuador.

Under the 1961 Vienna Convention, foreign officials and their families and staff are protected from prosecution in their host country - effectively putting them above the law. Unless their home country agrees to waive their immunity from prosecution, there is nothing the British government can do except risk a diplomatic incident by ordering their expulsion.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seagle
Did I just get unlucky reading two threads in row that you've hijacked with condescending diatribes or is this a hobby of yours? Before you clear up anything else with 'research' I think some basic reading and comprehension skill classes might be an idea.

This should be amusing...

For the record, Equador does not need Londons permission to give Julian Assange diplomatic immunity.

Going back to do research and reading how it works, which you did not do - yes they have to agree when it comes to a person being made an ambassador and being given diplomatic status. You should go back a few posts where I linked you to the UN Diplomatic Protocls and read.

All they have to do is appoint him as their permanent representaive and ambassador to the UN or EU or NATO and he can walk straight out the door and stop for a drink at every pub on his way to the airport and nobody can legally touch him. How funny would that be..

And again you are wrong... Again going back to reading and doing research.
The sending nation appoints their person as Ambassador to the country in question.
That country can accept or reject that person as an ambassador. If they reject, the person is not an ambassador and does not have diplomatic immunity and can be told to leave the country.

The term is called Personal non grata.

A nation can issue that title to any members of a foreign embassy within their country. once issued the person / persons are given so many days / hours to leave the country.

Hell,, he could probably get the same result as a delegate of FIFA or the Int Olympic Committee

edit on 15-8-2012 by Seagle because: (no reason given)

Wow.. you are going all out for being wrong...

again please practice what you preach, go back and research and learn about Diplomatic protocol between nations. Once done feel free to come back and join back in.

Actually since you didnt bother to read the first go around let me help you out.
Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations

Agreeing on the Diplomat - Article IV

Article 4
1.The sending State must make certain that the agrément of the receiving State has been given for
the person it proposes to accredit as head of the mission to that State.
2.The receiving State is not obliged to give reasons to the sending State for a refusal of agrément.

Nationality - Article VIII

Article 8
1.Members of the diplomatic staff of the mission should in principle be of the nationality of the
sending State.
2.Members of the diplomatic staff of the mission may not be appointed from among persons
having the nationality of the receiving State, except with the consent of that State which may be
withdrawn at any time.
3.The receiving State may reserve the same right with regard to nationals of a third State who are
not also nationals of the sending State.

Around article 31 is where immunities come into play.. Please pay special attention so you dont continue tio make mistakes.
edit on 15-8-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Julian Assange is doin no more than playing the martyr is this situation. He has been and always will be a CIA puppet. He's going to be just fine, I can assure you of that. If he truly spreads secrets and truths, his website would be shut down in milliseconds, any traces of the articles would erradicated from any cached server in the world, and he would die in a matter of hours. Don't be fooled, the internet is very controllable. Just common sense folks.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Marrasca is right. I posted a thread about Assange and his lawyer's connection to the Rothschilds. The same people pulling the strings behind the world banking scene and the New World Order. Think about this... they want to grant Assange asylum (btw whose wikileaks info dump was very unimpressive) and the UK hacker Gary Mckinnon they wanted to throw in prison for up to 70 years? Something about this shouldn't smell right to anyone. Assange I believe is controlled opposition and a distraction from other things happening in the world.

wakeupfromyourslumber.com...

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

Originally posted by darkbake
reply to post by anon72

That is awesome. I hope that Julian Assange can continue his quest for truth from Ecuador, where he is guaranteed safety.

Assange picked and chose what he released. It may have looked like "truth" but it was calculated. How much got held back for hush money?

What kind of tactics are that?

How is it any better than the people he claims he is exposing....
\

And you happen to know this is a fact because....?

In other words, as the ATS catch phrase would have it.

Pics or it didn't happen !!

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Ironclad

Now I am seeing reports that the deal is on again.

It could be the news just catching up etc.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
According to the BBC the Home Office have threatened to "storm" the embassy to get Assange:

www.bbc.co.uk...

The UK has issued a "threat" to enter the Ecuadorian embassy in London to arrest Julian Assange, Ecuador's foreign minister has said.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Assange was a phony, so why do people care? Assange is about Assange.

I doubt this will lead to anything. Unless he spends the rest of his life in the Embassy. He won't be able to board a plane. He's not a citizen of that country and he is a common criminal.

Had Assange been for real I'd argue the other way. He was not. Only Anarchists and other thugs care about him now.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I have been to Ecuador many times, humid and poor and not exactly the safest place to hide out. I expect he will be kidnapped or assassinated if the powers want it so; the only safety now on this planet is in obscurity...many here know..hiding in you mothers basement and the like

They use US Dollars in Ecuador and there are many Americans there..should be interesting. I will have to make a point of stopping by on my way south next time.
edit on 15-8-2012 by MajorKarma because: Added Sarcasm

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Julian Assange is a coward. If he was a REAL Man he would stand up take respectability for what he has done. Not cower and hide.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by knightrider078
Julian Assange is a coward. If he was a REAL Man he would stand up take respectability for what he has done. Not cower and hide.

He is above the law remeber... This is nothing but money to him, and we know this when British media was able to contain the entire database from a different source, at which point Assange threatened to sue for financial loss because the info belonged to him.

He promised money to Mannings defense however it was not until he started getting called out left and right did he finally donate the money.

Its humerous to watch Assange make an argument that the US / government officals are guilty without using that whole due process thing. An issue he reminds people of every time he states the allegations against him are false RE: Sweden.

Or how he got pissed when the legal case against him in Sweden was partially leaked to the media. Its apparent he has a double standard.

His entire argument about Sw3eden has been based on everything but Sweden. A person has no legal standing until the charge is brought and since the US has not brought any type of charges, as pro assange supporters constantly point out, then it should not be a consideration regarding the Sweden issue.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
To be honest, i am not overly familiar with the country of Ecuador, but my respect factor for them just went up about 7 billion. Maybe there is hope left yet. I will be watching closely as this compelling drama unfold further. Great news, in my opinion.
edit on 15-8-2012 by Runciter33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
This is such a big joke! I feel sorry for him. I would want nothing more than for him and people like him to continue exposing the truth to the world but I doubt it's gonna be of much effect anymore. People are too paralyzed to see and act because of to the illusion which is called "reality" that is being forced upon us.

Furthermore, Equador is the CIA's playground.
How in the hell is that any better than Europe?

IT--

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Anyone that believes he's really going to find asylum is a fool. They don't even have to "invade" the embassy like they threatened, they can just revoke their diplomatic privileges and then the embassy becomes a regular building that they can enter as they please. And even if neither of those scenarios happen, he will still never get out of the embassy/country without being arrested. This isn't a win for Assange, it's a bit of a delay.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 03:13 AM
link   
UK Government ‘in threat to storm Ecuador’s embassy to seize WikiLeaks boss’

UK Government ‘in threat to storm Ecuador’s embassy to seize WikiLeaks boss’ Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

The UK is just the little lap-dog of America nowadays, whatever they tell us to do, we do. With all this effort that the UK and the USA are spending in trying to get Assange, it makes you wonder if what he knows is truelly something pretty big, and that what he disclosed must be true. If the Yanks get him, he will mysteriously die under suspicious circumstances if you ask me. There are things he knows , that could bring down governments and so he must be made to stay quiet.

The sex crime allegation, is just that, made up to try and discredit him.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
Aside from sneaking Assange out of the Embassy, the moment he sets footoutside of it he can be arrested. There is no place for him to go where he is going to be protected, aside from the Embassy itself.

For the record, Equador does not need Londons permission to give Julian Assange diplomatic immunity.

Going back to do research and reading how it works, which you did not do - yes they have to agree when it comes to a person being made an ambassador and being given diplomatic status. You should go back a few posts where I linked you to the UN Diplomatic Protocls and read.

All they have to do is appoint him as their permanent representaive and ambassador to the UN or EU or NATO and he can walk straight out the door and stop for a drink at every pub on his way to the airport and nobody can legally touch him. How funny would that be..

And again you are wrong... Again going back to reading and doing research.
The sending nation appoints their person as Ambassador to the country in question.
That country can accept or reject that person as an ambassador. If they reject, the person is not an ambassador and does not have diplomatic immunity and can be told to leave the country.

A nation can issue that title to any members of a foreign embassy within their country. once issued the person / persons are given so many days / hours to leave the country.

Firstly, before lecturing me with your in depth 'research' you should maybe take a moment to get back to the basics. A good start would be to learn what an embassy actually is because despite popular belief it is not somethng you can "step out of'"

Secondly, at no point did I say Equador can appoint Assange as their ambassador to England/UK or any other 'nation' for that matter without their approval. I specifically said the UN, EU or NATO. Last time I checked, none of them are nations and if the UK decided to throw the rule book out the window and arrest the head of a diplomatic mission to the UN then expect all hell to slowly start to break loose.

I'm not going to argue with you, you can think you know it all as much as you like.

The term "embassy" is often used to refer to the building or compound housing an ambassador's offices and staff. Technically, however, "embassy" refers to the diplomatic delegation itself, while the office building in which they work is known as a chancery.

Ambassadors can reside within or outside of the chancery; for example, American diplomatic missions maintain separate housing for their ambassadors apart from their embassies. Ambassadors residing outside of the chancery retain special protection from the host country's security forces and the ambassadorial residences enjoy the same rights as missions. Like embassies, such residences are considered inviolable and, in most cases, extraterritorial. The residences of high commissioner, who are similar to ambassadors, have the same rights.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   

The UK Foreign office has expressed its disappointment with the Ecuador decision to grant Assange political asylum, but said that it would not change their commitment to carrying out their obligation to Sweden. In a strong statement the Foreign Office said in no uncertain terms that they would carry out their obligation. However they have said that they are open to a negotiated settlement.

Under our law, with Mr Assange having exhausted all options of appeal UK authorities are under binding obligation to extradite him to Sweden

— Foreign Office (FCO) (@foreignoffice) अगस्त 16, 2012

We shall carry out that obligation. The Ecuadorian Government’s decision this afternoon does not change that. #Assange

— Foreign Office (FCO) (@foreignoffice

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   
A Man 1
The Man 0

LMFAO

Viva Equador

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join