It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Julian Assange will be granted asylum, says official

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Lets clear up a few things since some people apparently dont bother to do research.

Asylum and Diplomatic Immunity are not the same thing. They don't afford the same protections and they don't apply to the same people.

Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations
In order for a person to be considered a Diplomat - The person must be selected by their country. The country they are going to be assigned to must agree and accept the person as a diplomat. If the receiving country does not accept the person as a diplomat, then they are not one. They dont get to stay in the country, they dont get diplomatic immunity.

Both countries must sign off.

A person cannot be given the title of Ambassador / Diplomat / what have you on a whim. As I stated before A diplomat assigned to one country does not have diplomatic immunity if they travel to another country. Diplomatic immunity only applies to Diplomats while they are in the nation they were assigned to / agreed on.

Assange cannot be made a diplomat since it requires both countries to agree to it.
Assange cannot be given diplomatic immunity because both countries must agree to it.
Assange cannot be snuck out of the country in any type of diplomatic pouch / box / bag / insert other words used here. The protocols only apply to legitimate items of a diplomatic nature.

Asylum - there are different type of Asylum (religious / political / etc). Granting asylum means they are not going to turn Assange over to the British Government. It means absolutely nothing else and does not bestow Assange with any immunities / privileges. The moment Assange steps foot outside the Embassy, placing him on sovereign British soil, he can be arrested and deported.

Even Ecuador is stating the same things yet for some reason people in this thread just beleive what they want because they heard it somewhere on tv.

No decision to grasnt Asylum has been made.
Ecuador ponders Assange's exit if asylum granted

Ecuador's leftist President Rafael Correa has said a decision on whether to grant political asylum to Assange is likely before the end of the week.

Patino, who has led Ecuador's analysis of the case, told Reuters the Andean country was also looking at how the 41-year-old Australian might travel to Ecuador if he is granted asylum.

"Beyond the international treaties, the right to asylum etc, and the autonomy or sovereignty the national government has to take a decision of this nature, we have to look at what will happen next," he said before an event in the highland city of Ambato.

"It's not only about whether to grant the asylum, because for Mr. Assange to leave England he should have a safe pass from the British (government). Will that be possible? That's an issue we have to take into account."

Ironic really.. Assange apparenlty has no issues violating laws when they don't fit his needs.

* - He violated US law by receiving / disseminating classified information.
* - He violated Swedish law by refusing to cooperate in the investigation.
* - He violated British law by refusing to return to Sweden / violating his bond.

According to Assange the law violations are because of someone else and not Assange. It always seems to be someone elses fault.

Please people take the time to do some research.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hopeforeveryone
reply to post by Xcathdra

Y'know I've got a funny feeling you're not a fan of Julian Assange

As a individual I dont know much about him. As the head of wikileaks and the position he takes on items in that arena I dont care for him at all. Ihave no objections to a person being a whistle blower - as manning was when it dealt with the helicopter / reporter incident.

However, when it went beyond that one incident, and wikileaks began to print classified information that detailed absolutely no illegal activity, he crossed a line.

Originally posted by Hopeforeveryone
Personally I'm not sure about his escapades in Sweden, he may or may not be guilty, I don't know as i haven't got access to either the claimants or the evidence. It does seem suspicious though how these allegations surfaced not long after Wikileaks cable files emerged. Hey it might all just be coincidence, who knows ?

The issues with Assange and US classified information occured long before the sex accusations. His issue in sweden has nothing to do with the US and its possible case for the leaked information.

Whether or not the 2 females are lying is not up to us the US or Britain. Its up to sweden and their laws. I have seen people complain about how backwards Swedish law is and while that viewpoint / opinion is valid, it doesnt change the fact its swedish law.

Trying to hold leaders / governments accountible for their actions under the law while at the same time ignoring the very laws you just blasted those countries for ignoring doesnt help his position.

According to people who support Assange he did not break any law by receiving / printing the classified information - fair enough.

Using that same logic one can argue Assange did break laws by his actions.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   
This rumor is false.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Good news for Assange and it shows, to all those who didn't actually believe he had a case, that he indeed had a strong case against extradition to Sweden.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by ToeKnee

Good news for Assange and it shows, to all those who didn't actually believe he had a case, that he indeed had a strong case against extradition to Sweden.

Kind of jumping the gun there arent you?

Ecquador has not granted him Asylum yet...

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I haven't checked, but I doubt their are many if any direct flights to Quito from London. I imagine most flights will go through Spain, so there are quite a few hurdles before Assange will get to Equador. I guess it depends on how far the UK government will let this go. I hope he gets away.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
I haven't checked, but I doubt their are many if any direct flights to Quito from London. I imagine most flights will go through Spain, so there are quite a few hurdles before Assange will get to Equador. I guess it depends on how far the UK government will let this go. I hope he gets away.

Aside from sneaking Assange out of the Embassy, the moment he sets footoutside of it he can be arrested. There is no place for him to go where he is going to be protected, aside from the Embassy itself.

He has to be granted amnsety first though and so far the Excquadorian government has not made a decision.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   

I think if he's been offered asylum, he is able to go out in a diplomatic car, as they do not have to stop for anything, just ask someone who's had a traffic accident with a car with D in the number plate. The same rules apply as to an embassy, it is part of the nation it represents country, hence attacking the car could be classed as an act of war

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by FFS4000

I think if he's been offered asylum, he is able to go out in a diplomatic car, as they do not have to stop for anything, just ask someone who's had a traffic accident with a car with D in the number plate. The same rules apply as to an embassy, it is part of the nation it represents country, hence attacking the car could be classed as an act of war

In order for him to get in the car he has to step foot outside the embassy. Their emabssy in London is not a compound. It opens up to the main sidewalk.

Secondly even if he gets in the car without being stopped / caught he has to get out of the car in order to board an airplane / boat / train / etc etc etc.

The moment that occurs his Asylum means nothing since he is on British soil. This was the issue we brought up when the Asylum claim first came about. Aside from some type of agreement between Britain and Ecquador that allows Assange to leave the country, if asylum is granted he will become a permanent member of the Embassy in London.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by DarthPhobos

Should he be given Diplomatic status he could not be touched, but I understand that has to go through the Court of St James, and so is not likely to happen, you are correct, he cannot leave the embassy.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Ecuador close to agreeing to WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange's request for political asylum

Officials in the South American country were said to be trying to figure out how the WikiLeaks founder could leave the UK without being arrested.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Looks like they jumped the gun on the story? WTF?

I should have known by the picture. Look at the Pres>...."Getting close to the dollar amount I am thinking of"

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Well Britain is not that big, I'm sure they could drive out of the country, just stop for fuel and snacks haha.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I like how everyone focuses on the non illegal classified information JA released instead of focusing on the information about illegal activities by our government. Yeah lets focus on that and forget the illegal activity he and wikileaks exposed.

Him going down is very important for government as it will make a statement about what happens to those who expose the dirty little secrets of governments. This guy should get away with it and I would not be surprised if this man is just a pawn being used as an example to show what will happen if anyone else speaks out.

but yeah keep condemning the man. So quickly to hang men like this and not the turds in our government.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
The front entry is well guarded.

But in the alley to the left of the house.

There is a garage, most likely connected to the embassy.
The garage is not "in" the embassy house, but as you can see, both houses are connected.

edit on 15-8-2012 by LiberalSceptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Assange will end up dead or "indefinitely detained". You can take that to the bank. Throwing in all his chips with the Ecuador President was utterly foolhardy - the move of cretin. He has lost all control of his own destiny, and essentially becomes a tradable asset.

If he makes it to Ecuador, it's just a matter of time before he is kidnapped or assassinated with the secret blessing of host nation. Ecuador has probably spent the last two month working out trade deals with the US & UK in return for their hot new property. You only have to look at Bobby Fisher & Roman Polanski to figure out the US never stops pursuing a target. You don't take the kind of a dump WikiLeaks took on the US and get away with it.

The idiot should have just gone to Sweden. At least it isn't a third-world nation crippled by debt, wracked by inequality and political corruption. I'm sure they have nicer jails too.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

Assange cannot be snuck out of the country in any type of diplomatic pouch / box / bag / insert other words used here. The protocols only apply to legitimate items of a diplomatic nature.

Ironic really.. Assange apparenlty has no issues violating laws when they don't fit his needs.

* - He violated US law by receiving / disseminating classified information.
* - He violated Swedish law by refusing to cooperate in the investigation.
* - He violated British law by refusing to return to Sweden / violating his bond.

According to Assange the law violations are because of someone else and not Assange. It always seems to be someone elses fault.

Please people take the time to do some research.

B.S. Those illegal Cuban cigars smuggled into the USA inside a diplomatic bag didn't have " legitimate items of a diplomatic nature." applied to them. There is no way to know whats in a diplomatic container because it's illegal for the country to examine the contents. If and when he is granted asylum there are many good ways to get him out.

So he violated US law.. So what? Your going to side with the tyrannical government? You know.. those laws are illegal when the information is protecting something that can harm US citizens.. even if it is from their own government.

I'd violate US law in a heat beat to stop a tyrannical government that's hurting We The People. Go ahead, call me a terrorist.. I dare you.

The man is doing the right thing to help stop the tyranny. The only difference between a terrorists and a patriot many times is who's side your on.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlanQaida
Well Britain is not that big, I'm sure they could drive out of the country, just stop for fuel and snacks haha.

The fact that Great Britain is an island, would make that drive more than a little difficult.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
Lets clear up a few things since some people apparently dont bother to do research.

Did I just get unlucky reading two threads in row that you've hijacked with condescending diatribes or is this a hobby of yours? Before you clear up anything else with 'research' I think some basic reading and comprehension skill classes might be an idea.

For the record, Equador does not need Londons permission to give Julian Assange diplomatic immunity. All they have to do is appoint him as their permanent representaive and ambassador to the UN or EU or NATO and he can walk straight out the door and stop for a drink at every pub on his way to the airport and nobody can legally touch him. How funny would that be..

Hell,, he could probably get the same result as a delegate of FIFA or the Int Olympic Committee

edit on 15-8-2012 by Seagle because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by votan

Brilliantly put
Cant say much more than that

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Seagle

You seriously think the UK government is going to give a fugitive from justice free passage over British territory in order to respect some patently obvious scam by Ecuador ?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join