It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Julian Assange will be granted asylum, says official

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   
To those people calling Assange a coward...

What the hell? The man could be up for extradition to the US and face EXECUTION. I could care less if he has offended some ridiculous sense of American patriotism by showing the US Govt up for the sham that it is, I don't blame Assange one little bit for holing up in another countries embassy.

You bloody Yanks want to get your filthy little hands on him and execute the man. Get stuffed.

edit on 16/8/2012 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by knightrider078
Julian Assange is a coward. If he was a REAL Man he would stand up take respectability for what he has done. Not cower and hide.

Actually, I think..that by doing just what he is doing, he is exposing even more.

IE does this not show that the US is not intent on being just with him? That is what it looks like to me - like the US will use any political pressure they can to get at this man, and if they do, do you think they will try him in a civilian court or a closed military court?

Perhaps they might keep him in solitary confinement like they have Manning for months before trial, so that he loses his mind before he ever gets to testify in front of anyone?

Does a real man avoid torture and mental murder? Or does a real man use his brain to try to continue his mission?

I'd point at the second man as the real one. The first one is some John Wayne character in a Disney movie where the good guys always win and the bad guys fall off a cliff into a pit of fire or become the good guy's servants. Ain't happening. I don't see Hilary and Obama ever emptying Julian's chamberpot.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Sweden wants to send Assange to US like US sent Jews to Germany. Both for execution purposes. US is equivalent to Nazi Germany.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by agnes
UK Government ‘in threat to storm Ecuador’s embassy to seize WikiLeaks boss’

UK Government ‘in threat to storm Ecuador’s embassy to seize WikiLeaks boss’ Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

Its a valid action under Diplomatic Protocols.

The UK is just the little lap-dog of America nowadays,

Really? Do you actually have anything to support this claim or? This is between the UK / Assange / Sweden. The US has nothing to do with this mess and simply repeating it over and over does not make it true. Your tactic is along the same lines as Assange and his Lawyers when they distort the situation by constantly stating what will happen to Assange when he goes to the US.

There is nothing that shows the US will seek extradition.
There is nothing that show the US has filed charges.
* - Assange is not a US citizen and therefore cannot be charged with treason - as they claim.
* - Assange is not under military jurisdiction and cannot be placed in Gitmo - as they claim.
* - Assange is not under military jurisdiction and cannot go before a military tribunal - as they claim.
* - Assange violated no laws where the result of conviction is death - as they claim.

whatever they tell us to do, we do. With all this effort that the UK and the USA are spending in trying to get Assange, it makes you wonder if what he knows is truelly something pretty big, and that what he disclosed must be true. If the Yanks get him, he will mysteriously die under suspicious circumstances if you ask me. There are things he knows , that could bring down governments and so he must be made to stay quiet.

So people are required to follow and be subject to the law, except when you / Assange disagrees with it? Again the US has nothing to do with whats going on right now. Thats all Assange and his lawyers and there is nothing to support American involvement in these decisions. You guys are just as bad as Assange when it comes to distorting information to change the story to justify actions.

The sex crime allegation, is just that, made up to try and discredit him.

I didnt realize you were present when it occured. You should contact the Swedish authorities right away and tell them what you know / witnessed.

Or are you aboive the law like Assange thinks he is?

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Xcathdra, stop talking nonsense. There is a distinct possibility of treason charges being laid against Assange from the US, bringing the death penalty onto the table. Assange and his legal team know this, the Ecuadorian government knows this, as do the governments of Sweden, the UK and the US.

This is not about ridiculous charges in Sweden, they are very clearly trumped up lies in order for the US to get Assange into a position where the US can grab him and take him back to America. In the speech given by the Ecuadorian official just a little while ago, he indicated that the Ecuadorian Govt. had attempted to get assurances from Sweden that if they handed over Assange he would not be extradited to 'another country'. This assurance was not given. Why not, if this truly were about getting justice in Sweden hmmmm?

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   

* - Assange is not a US citizen and therefore cannot be charged with treason - as they claim.
* - Assange is not under military jurisdiction and cannot be placed in Gitmo - as they claim.
* - Assange is not under military jurisdiction and cannot go before a military tribunal - as they claim.
* - Assange violated no laws where the result of conviction is death - as they claim.

You do know that European states allowed their citizens to be abducted and sent to torture camps right? Who was abducting these people anyway? One of them was abducted from Canada also I believe.

Your claims don't match with the facts.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I laugh at the fools that call Assange a coward. You sit behind your computer screens typing your lives away defending the establishment and the silly laws it created. You can't even muster up the courage to stand up for what is right, unless of course it happens to be "legal" and big daddy is okay with it. I think those that so blatantly bash Assange are the ones that are subconsciously envious of what he's managed to achieve.

But hey, whatever makes you feel better about yourselves, eh?

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by knightrider078

"take respectability"
Really.. I didn't look at your location, but please don't be a fellow American.
As for all the people ripping on America in this thread.. don't pin all of us in with the idiots here saying Assange should be tried for "treason," some of us aren't quite that ignorant (like.. thinking you can charge an Aussie for treason in America...) and don't want anything bad to happen to the guy.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

To those of you telling all "yanks" to get stuffed.
Grow up.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by Kryties

To those of you telling all "yanks" to get stuffed.
Grow up.

To those who are calling Assange a coward.....

....grow up and get a sense of right and wrong.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
Xcathdra, stop talking nonsense. There is a distinct possibility of treason charges being laid against Assange from the US, bringing the death penalty onto the table. Assange and his legal team know this, the Ecuadorian government knows this, as do the governments of Sweden, the UK and the US.

Uhm... you would be wrong. There is absolutely no possible way for Assange to be charged with treason in the US.Assange is not a US Citizen so no he cannot be charged with treason in the US.
18 USC 2381 - Treason

Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Key words - "allegiance to the United States"

Assange is Australian, not American.

So no his legal team does not know this because they are constantly repeating it when its not even possible. Its being done to play on the emotional reaction of people who are at odds with US policies and nothing more. If Assange and his legal team are willing to lie about what the US "can" do to Assange, why would he not lie about his actions in Sweden with the sex charge complaints?

This is not about ridiculous charges in Sweden, they are very clearly trumped up lies in order for the US to get Assange into a position where the US can grab him and take him back to America. In the speech given by the Ecuadorian official just a little while ago, he indicated that the Ecuadorian Govt. had attempted to get assurances from Sweden that if they handed over Assange he would not be extradited to 'another country'. This assurance was not given. Why not, if this truly were about getting justice in Sweden hmmmm?

As I stated in some other threads how do you know the charge is trumped? If you know this for a fact how come you have no identified yourself to the Swedish legal system and given them your testimony?

Its not relevant if you think the charges are trumped nor is it relevant if you think the law is archaic. Its Swedish law so the only people who get to decide that are the people of Sweden.

Assange is responsible for his actions. He is no more above the law than the government / people he accuses. It would be easier for the US government to extradite Assange from the UK than it would be with Sweden, and Assange and his team know this.

Nothing more than smoke and mirrors from Assange and his legal team.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by insaan

You do know that European states allowed their citizens to be abducted and sent to torture camps right? Who was abducting these people anyway? One of them was abducted from Canada also I believe.

Your claims don't match with the facts.

My facts do actually.. Since Assange is not an enemy combatent the military has absolutely no jurisdiction.
Second there are no charges against Assange in the US. A key issue Assange supporters keep pointing out.

Your own statements undermine your argument. If it were that easy and going tooccur then why would Assange be concerned about being extraditced to the US and why would the US care about the swedish charges? Using your logic

They could have just abducted him the moment they found out he was behind the leaks.
They could have abducted him the moment he released the dipoomatic cables.
They could have abducted him at any point during his travels around the globe.

If the US were to do what you are suggesting, it would have been done by now would it not?

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   

As far as I'm concerned, legal precedence/allowance or not, the US will twist laws and find a way to charge and sentence Assange as harshly as they possibly can. If not treason, then some sort of terrorist law that will make him eligible for execution.

The Sweden nonsense is just that, nonsense conjured up by the US to provide an avenue by which he can be extradited to the US to face whatever BS and trumped up charges they can think up.

Why do I think this? The US track record of getting it's own way no matter what stands in defiance. I don't trust the US one little bit to treat Assange fairly - in fact as far as I am concerned he has done nothing wrong at all.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   

As far as I'm concerned, legal precedence/allowance or not, the US will twist laws and find a way to charge and sentence Assange as harshly as they possibly can. If not treason, then some sort of terrorist law that will make him eligible for execution.

You guys just keep making it up as you go along. There is nothing Assange can be charged with under US law that woul result in a death penalty issue. Secondly in order for the US to extradite from countries who do not allow death penalty an agreement must be made to not seak that penalty. In this case its a moot point because -
A - No charges have been filed against Assange in the US
B - No charges that can be filed have death as a penalty.
C - Terrorism related law deals with the military, something Assange is not subject to because he was not captured on a battlefield and has not engaged military forces of the US.
D - Oh did I already mention no charges have been filed against Assange by the US.

Assange, if charged, is subject to domestic federal law, not military.

The Sweden nonsense is just that, nonsense conjured up by the US to provide an avenue by which he can be extradited to the US to face whatever BS and trumped up charges they can think up.

Again if you have evidence that the Swedish charges are BS then why have you not turned that info over to the Swedish authorities? Simply dismissing the claims because you dont like them doesnt make them any less true / false.

Its up to Sweden to determine their own laws. Assange was in Sweden when the events occured and as such is subject to their laws. This is not a hard concepot to understand. If the US were to "abduct" him as people are claiming then why is assange doing what he is doing about going to sweden? We could "abduct" him anywhere we want according to those people, so why does it matter where that occurs?

As I stated he is using the US in an effort to get out of the issues oin Sweden. Has it ever occured to you that Assange might in fact be guilty of those charges / claims?

Why do I think this? The US track record of getting it's own way no matter what stands in defiance. I don't trust the US one little bit to treat Assange fairly - in fact as far as I am concerned he has done nothing wrong at all.

Again using your logic it does not matter where Assange is, since we would get him anyways (using your logic).

Since that has not occured the basis behind his argument is not supported by anything.

Everything else aside you and others seem to be missing the point. Assanges current situation has nothing to do with the United States. Its between Assange, the 2 people who made the claim and the Swedish law / legal systems.

How about we stick to that topic since this entire mess revolves around that and has nothing to do with the US.
edit on 16-8-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-8-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Mate, how soft is the current govt. ???

We have the boat people thing ...

Carbon tax ???

One of our own in deep doo dah ... with; Sweden, Britain ( yeah, the mother country, of which I am sure there are
plenty of sub-clauses which exlude any member of " The Commonwealth " from having a say in anything geo-political happening on the world stage.)

And the good ol' U.S.A. ( Been there ... enjoyed that ! )

About time we got a ruling party with some no-nonsense Aussie ... "this is how it is " policy.

Hey, it did'nt hurt the Kiwis too much.

edit on 16-8-2012 by Timely because: got rid of an " artifact " lol.

edit on 16-8-2012 by Timely because: stuff

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   

It comes down to this for me:

Regardless of the charge and sentence (be that death or imprisonment), I find it ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE that the US feels it can even TRY to charge Assange with anything. What Assange did was WHISTLEBLOW and the response from the US has spoken volumes about what they think of that.

It is wrong, wrong, WRONG that the US should seek to extradite him (which is what this is about - any blind person can see the Swedish charges are trumped up nonsense). If another country wanted to extradite a US citizen to face life in prison or death for whistleblowing, I can guarantee every American would be up in arms crying foul and whinging that they shouldn't be subject to other countries laws for something they don't consider is an illegal act.

It's hypocrisy at it's finest and shame on the US for what it is trying to do. Mind your own damn business and stop whinging at having been caught out in war atrocities and various other 'indiscretions'.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Timely

Yes, our government is just as culpable as the others in this atrocious attempt to crucify an innocent man.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Navieko
I laugh at the fools that call Assange a coward. You sit behind your computer screens typing your lives away defending the establishment and the silly laws it created. You can't even muster up the courage to stand up for what is right, unless of course it happens to be "legal" and big daddy is okay with it. I think those that so blatantly bash Assange are the ones that are subconsciously envious of what he's managed to achieve.

But hey, whatever makes you feel better about yourselves, eh?

Well said. The audacity of these armchair brainwashed nobodys to call Assange a Coward. This man is doing what no other man, group, organisation, corporation or nation has had the balls to do. He showed the world the undeniable proof of the completely corrupt hidden system of power that rules every aspect of our lives. He rattled the cage of forces so powerful that his own country immediately disowned him in fear of retribution despite the fact he had broken no law. The entire banking system rose against him including the banks that have no problem hiding money for the worst criminals and tax evaders in world. They cut off his access to money, intelligence agencies around the world began actively seeking to destroy him and everyone associated with him, his legal team were placed on international travel blacklists for no reason requiring clearance from the US before they can get on a plane anywhere in the world.

People keep saying he should face the charges in Sweden, what charges? there are no charges. The two girls in question went to the police to ask if they could force Assange to take an STD test because they both had unproted sex with him. When the police prosecutor found out who it was they went after him for rape despite both girls immediately dropping their request. Neither of the girls wanted anything to do with it at this stage but the police pursued it anyway. They have spent a fortune in tax payers money trying to extradite Assange for what? because they want to lecture him about safe sex practices?

This man is no Coward. for those that haven't seen this documentary, watch it.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Where did all this talk of US come up from. The charges with Sweden are set up, they were put up, then taken away, then more threats against Wikileak came when they prepared another release, and were up again.

I don't care one bit if any thing the US could do would not be allowed to end in capital punishment. He shouldn't be facing any thing, and imprisonment is just as bad.

Not to mention the US is allowed to murder their own citizens and won't admit they've broken the injunction put on them by the judge.

(I think they think they can legally pull off the killings in the Colorado theatre and Wisconsin!!!)

So, Assange should never go near the US. Or Sweden, where someone seems to have ties to the US.

edit on 16-8-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   

It comes down to this for me:

Regardless of the charge and sentence (be that death or imprisonment), I find it ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE that the US feels it can even TRY to charge Assange with anything. What Assange did was WHISTLEBLOW and the response from the US has spoken volumes about what they think of that.

Well actually no what he did was not whistle blowing. If you take the time to read the statutes that cover whisteblowing you would see that it revolves around the reporting of criminal activity.

The massive number of documents Assange released did not contain criminal activity. The moment that occured, its no longer whistleblowing.

Its along the same lines of using self defense when you are attacked (domestic laws). Youhave every right to defend yourself however once the threat has subsided (IE you punch your attacker in the nose, knocking them out) you actions must cease. If you continue to press you are no longer defending yourself and you moved from self defense over to assault.

Secondly the items Assange had are the property of the US Government. If you are going to refuse to obey the law based on your personal opinion simply because you dont like the laws or the persons / entities involved, you are no better than the group you are going after.

It is wrong, wrong, WRONG that the US should seek to extradite him (which is what this is about - any blind person can see the Swedish charges are trumped up nonsense). If another country wanted to extradite a US citizen to face life in prison or death for whistleblowing, I can guarantee every American would be up in arms crying foul and whinging that they shouldn't be subject to other countries laws for something they don't consider is an illegal act.

The US has not filed any charges against Assange..
The US has not requested Assange be taken into custody for anything related to the leaks.
The US has not requested any extradition.

So, again, you are using a non existant argument in order to justify his actions and reasons for refusing to go to Sweden.

It's hypocrisy at it's finest and shame on the US for what it is trying to do. Mind your own damn business and stop whinging at having been caught out in war atrocities and various other things.

What is the US trying to do? This is between Assange, Sweden and the UK. You are making an argument where nothng exists to support it. By all emans tell us all how the US is behind this and please be sure to use facts and cite your sources. If its based on your opinion, then state so.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join