It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Julian Assange will be granted asylum, says official

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
This alarms me. Anyway, I suppose this is all some illuminati weirdness but it really really bothered me. The dead burying the living.

South Amercian paper.

www.tumblr.com...

I hope he is being offered asylum with good intentions.

edit to add: It was a Chilean newspaper thankfully. You have to scroll down on the link.
edit on 14-8-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

The granting of asylum is a stunt and nothing more. Assange cannot leave the embassy grounds which means he cannot get out of the country.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Well according to international law a "diplomatic bag" can not be opened or detained so maybe if they've got one big enough maybe that's an answer. Also theoretically he could be made a equadorian citizen, then a diplomat and claim immunity.

Not sure though, my lawyer skills are somewhat google based.
edit on 14-8-2012 by Hopeforeveryone because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopeforeveryone
Well according to international law a "diplomatic bag" can not be opened or detained so maybe if they've got one big enough maybe that's an answer. Also theoretically he could be made a equadorian citizen, then a diplomat and claim immunity.

Not sure though, my lawyer skills are somewhat google based.

I like that thought.
edit on 14-8-2012 by Doalrite because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Hopeforeveryone

Good points.Easier than what I thought-
I was thinking he may have to escape through the sewer in a disguise,but I read too many spy novels.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Actually the Vienna convention on Diplomatic Protocol covers all of those types of situations. Diplomatic pouches cannot be used on people, only documents / inanimate items that are required.

As far as citizenship and diplomatic status that cannot occur either. When one country appoints a representative to another country, the receiving country must agree to it. The receiving nation is the final say on diplomats assigned inside their country. If they reject a person, that person is not a diplomat and must leave the country.

Diplomatic Immunity only occurs when both nations are in agreement and the person is accepted as a diplomat.

Assange may have received asylum however because of that he is stuck in the embassy. The moment he steps foot outsuide the door he can be arrested.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

I figure they must have some kind of exit strategy otherwise it's a bit pointless granting him asylum. No doubt the international law experts have been consulted and a plan made up.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

How about if say, Venezuela accepts him as a diplomat does that protect him in other countries ?

Oh well back to Silcone's sewer plan !
maybe a fake beard and sunglasses might help.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   

How about if say, Venezuela accepts him as a diplomat does that protect him in other countries ?

Nope.. Diplomatic protocols are goofy because of their role and status. A person who is appointed as an ambassodr does not act as a person, but the nation he represents. In order to become a diplomat and have diplomatic immunity both nations must agree.

Example - A citizen of Chile is appointed as ambassador to Argentina and Argentina accepts. That Chilean citizen is considered a diplomat and will have diplomatic immunity in Argentina. If that person travels to say Brazil, he is not considered a diplomat nor does he have diplomatic immunity.

Also, per the protocols, a nation cannot use diplomatic ability in order to purposely circumvent the laws of antoher nation. Hence the reason why both nations must agree - to specifically ensure the scenario you suggested does not occur.

Even if a person has diplomatic immunity it can be set aside by the government they represent. If the Chilean ambassador to Argentina gets drunk and drives, resulting in an accident that killed 4 people, he is technically protected / immune from prosecution. However Argentina can request the Chilean government to revoke / waive the diplomatic immunity so the person can be arrested and tried under Argentina law.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

YEA! WONDERFUL NEWS, imho.

SOMEONE needs to stand up to the DESTROYING OLIGARCHY.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
they did say they would wait until after the Olympics to decide his case. I'd forgotten all about that guy, Assange.

hopefully when he arrives in Ecuador, I can forget about him again.

i'm sure, regretfully, that he'll find a way to keep himself talked about.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Helicopter from rooftop is possible, they ain't gonna shoot it down, fly to Ireland possibly and straight onto flight to his new home in south America.. That would be my plan.. Uk can't follow him to Ireland.. Should be fun to hear how he does it but I suspect it will all be done in the dead of night, requires some military style planning and execution but it is possible

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Thanks for clearing that up for me, does seem he's going to be spending a lot of time with his new Equadorian Embassy buddies. Ah well the drama will probably die down in a decade or two and it's preferable to life inprisonment in a U.S. prison.

One last thought, if they're not allowed to open or inspect the diplomatic bags, how would they know someone was in there ?

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Uhmm update via twitter:

twitter.com...

Decision isn't made yet!

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Thanks for clearing that up for me, does seem he's going to be spending a lot of time with his new Equadorian Embassy buddies. Ah well the drama will probably die down in a decade or two and it's preferable to life inprisonment in a U.S. prison.

One last thought, if they're not allowed to open or inspect the diplomatic bags, how would they know someone was in there ?

Its funny people keep interjecting the US into this Asylum request. The US has nothing to do with Assange or his current legal issues. That all revolves around the Swedish judicial system.

There are no charges pending against Assange in the US. Also the extradition treaty the US has with the UK actually makes it easier for Assange to be extradicted from the UK to the US than it would be from Sweden to the US.

As far as the embassy goes yeah... I dont think it will take long for Assange or the embassy staff to get tired of one another.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

Its funny people keep interjecting the US into this Asylum request. The US has nothing to do with Assange or his current legal issues. That all revolves around the Swedish judicial system.

There are no charges pending against Assange in the US. Also the extradition treaty the US has with the UK actually makes it easier for Assange to be extradicted from the UK to the US than it would be from Sweden to the US.

As far as the embassy goes yeah... I dont think it will take long for Assange or the embassy staff to get tired of one another.

Ahh well there's the conspiracy element isn't it, from the Sydney Morning Herald:

The US government has repeatedly declined to confirm or deny any reported details of the WikiLeaks inquiry, beyond the fact that an investigation is being pursued

You've got to admit the whole charged with sex offenses in Sweden thing does seem like a classic honey trap. If the U.S. made a public statement saying they were not going to attempt extradition proceedings then the whole matter would be settled very quickly.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Ahh well there's the conspiracy element isn't it, from the Sydney Morning Herald:

The US government has repeatedly declined to confirm or deny any reported details of the WikiLeaks inquiry, beyond the fact that an investigation is being pursued

You've got to admit the whole charged with sex offenses in Sweden thing does seem like a classic honey trap. If the U.S. made a public statement saying they were not going to attempt extradition proceedings then the whole matter would be settled very quickly.

Actually no it wouldnt be overwith. The US has nothing to do with Assange and his sexual escapades in Sweden. Assange and his legal team are constantly invoking the US into their argument in an effort to capitalize on the European viewpoint towards our actions.

Some of the lies Assange and his lawyers have repeated -
* - Assange will be locked up in Gitmo - False - he is not an enemy combatant nor was he captured on a battlefield. Secondly Assange would not be subject to military law because he is not military.

* - Assange will be charged with treason - False - Assange is an Austrailian citizen, not US.

* - Assange will face the dealth penalty - False - The crimes assange could be charged with dont come anywhere close to capital punishment.

As for not confirming nor denying is irrelevent since it has nothing to do with Sweden.IF charges are brought against Assange in the US and he ends up in custody he has complete access to the legal system. Just as he does with the UK and Sweden as well as the EU.

His issue is accusations of sexual misconduct in Sweden.
edit on 14-8-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon72

Julian Assange will be granted asylum, says official

www.guardian.co.uk

Ecuador's president Rafael Correa has agreed to give Julian Assange asylum, officials within Ecuador's government have said.

The WikiLeaks founder has been holed up at Ecuador's London embassy since 19 June, when he officially requested political asylum.

"Ecuador will grant asylum to Julian Assange," said an official in the Ecuadorean capital Quito, who is familiar with the government discussions.

On Monday, Correa told state-run ECTV that he would decide this week whether to grant asylum to Assange. Correa said a large amount of material about international law had to be examine
(visit the link for the full news article)

Hello there!

Maybe Julian is an dobbelagent and CIA asset to get Correa and Chavez???

Peace,
ekiusa

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Y'know I've got a funny feeling you're not a fan of Julian Assange

Personally I'm not sure about his escapades in Sweden, he may or may not be guilty, I don't know as i haven't got access to either the claimants or the evidence. It does seem suspicious though how these allegations surfaced not long after Wikileaks cable files emerged. Hey it might all just be coincidence, who knows ?

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

You're completely forgetting few facts. Like complete misconduct and ignorance of the law by swedish authorities and their attempt to get JA locked up. They have no intentio of interviewing him as they have demonstrated several times.

The UK’s extradition treaty does not have the temporary surrender (’conditional release’) clause. The UK’s judicial review process, while far from perfect, has a number of practical review mechanisms. The nearest equivalent case, of Gary McKinnon - a UK citizen who has been charged for hacking US military systems - has been opposed in the courts for 8 years.

Source

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join