It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Tolerance" bully at Chic-fil-A

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaysandnights
What Christian values? Is homophobia a Christian value? I don't think so. And this definitely isn't about Dan Cathy's values anyway, it's about his actions. It's about he spending millions in supporting anti-gay hate groups and it's about he going out of his way to attack the gay community.

Freedom of speech works both ways, Dan Cathy said the bigoted things he chose to say, and in return people are speaking their minds against his bigotry.

From the articles I have read it was implied that it was his 'Christian values' which included anti-gay views among other things. Are Christian values anti-gay? Some people would say yes but I guess it depends on the individual Christian. I am not a religious person and personally don't give a 'beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep' what consenting adults do behind closed doors, so long as it is consensual and is not doing harm. Live and let live and show tolerance where views differ from your own is a pretty good policy for life.

Yes free speech cuts both ways I agree, though adding hate to hate doesn't make things better. That is why I said people should vote with their feet.

As to it being about Cathy spending his money supporting anti-gay hate groups, I am sure he is not the only big-wig supporting hateful groups or indeed arming terrorist/mercenary/drug groups, he only chose to make things a little more public than most.

Regarding the guy who made the video, having a go at the staff who are just like you and me is not only not going to accomplish anything but is just adding more hatred where it is unnecessary.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
All the owner of Chick-Fil-A said was that he supports traditional marriage. He didn't call for any action against gay people or anything .. he just said that his faith is such that he supports traditional marriage. What is pathetic is that people who are screaming for 'tolerance', refuse to tolerate that this fella has a right to his religious beliefs. He didn't hurt anyone and he didn't do anything except answer a question that was put to him ... 'where do you stand on gay marriage'.

I support Gay Marriage as a civil right. I also support the constitutional right of the owner of Chick-fil-a to have his religious beliefs and to be able to answer a question about those religious beliefs. The owner did NOTHING against gay people by answering the question.

The 'boycott Chic-fil-A' thing is absurd and intolerant. But whatever floats their boats ...

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
Funny, it doesn't appear in the DSM-IV-TR.

Because it's technically not a disorder nor is it a mental illness.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by crazydaysandnights

Well duh, it's an insult thrown around by hateful liberals. Not a clinical term.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Well duh, it's an insult thrown around by hateful liberals. Not a clinical term.
It IS a clinical term but since it is not a mental disorder is isn't on the DSM.

And as for hateful liberals, and homophobia being an insult, the real insult is being anti-gay. Anti-gays are an insult to humanity.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7
This. THIS is what is wrong with the liberals approach to this whole Chic-fil-A thing.

He goes OUT OF HIS WAY to be a rude, condescending moron, and then posts it online thinking he did something positive!

Great video, brought up some really interesting points which make you think

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   

It's not in the psychology manual, because it is bunk. You ever seen someone with a actual phobia? Now compare their reactions to people liberals label as homophobic, and you see why it is a joke.

It's the same as the ADL yelling antisemite if you don't kiss jewish ass, and oppose the many lobby groups isreal has and such. It's a joke.

Nothing more than an insult thrown around meant to try and shut people up.
edit on Fri, 03 Aug 2012 10:33:31 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
All the owner of Chick-Fil-A said was that he supports traditional marriage. He didn't call for any action against gay people or anything .. he just said that his faith is such that he supports traditional marriage.
WRONG. That is not all he said nor did. If you're going to attack people who are doing nothing but standing up against homophobia, know the facts.

What is pathetic is that people who are screaming for 'tolerance', refuse to tolerate that this fella has a right to his religious beliefs. He didn't hurt anyone
No-one is screaming for tolerance in the gay community, nor gay supporters. Tolerance is fake. I don't want tolerance, honesty is much better and these people honestly are anti-gay and NO-ONE has to tolerate that. Being anti-gay is a choice/indoctrination, unlike being gay, and no-one is obligated to tolerate nor respect what a person chooses to believe.

And yes, when you go out of your way to publicly condemn the gay community and spend millions in supporting anti-gay hate groups, you are hurting the gay community. Lack of marriage equality is hurting the gay community and if you are against marriage equality, you are hurting the gay community. It is wrong, and there are no two sides to this. So you'll have to actually ask yourself how much of a supporter you truly are, because justifying and defending homophobia is NOT what a so-called gay rights supporter should be doing.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

It's not in the psychology manual, because it is bunk. You ever seen someone with a actual phobia? Now compare their reactions to people liberals label as homophobic, and you see why it is a joke.

It's the same as the ADL yelling antisemite if you don't kiss jewish ass, and oppose the many lobby groups isreal has and such. It's a joke.

Nothing more than an insult thrown around meant to try and shut people up.
edit on Fri, 03 Aug 2012 10:33:31 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)
It's not in the DSM because it's not a mental disorder. People who have a phobic reaction to spiders, for example, that is a mental disorder. Homophobia is displayed different yet is still a dysfunction, as it causes social and individual harm.

Homophobia is only an insult to those who are homophobic and sensitive about the label. For me, homophobes are an insult, but not the term homophobia. Homophobes never like being called homophobes. But at the end of the day, homophobia is a legitimate clinical term, and homophobia is dysfunctional. You don't have to like it nor believe it, but facts are facts.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by CthulhuMythos
From the articles I have read it was implied that it was his 'Christian values' which included anti-gay views among other things.
The media by and large has turned it into a Christian vs Liberal war because that is a good way to create drama. But as a gay man I am telling you that Dan Cathy's values are irrelevant to me because at the end of the day, nothing he says is correct. Being anti-gay is incorrect, we've all heard the same ole homophobic BS and it is dismissed as tripe. He's done more than solely say he's pro-traditional marriage and as a result of his actions, he is getting a deserved backlash.

Are Christian values anti-gay? Some people would say yes but I guess it depends on the individual Christian. I am not a religious person and personally don't give a 'beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep' what consenting adults do behind closed doors, so long as it is consensual and is not doing harm. Live and let live and show tolerance where views differ from your own is a pretty good policy for life.
I believe in respect, not tolerance. Tolerance is fake. But respect is something that is concrete. Respect people and treat people the way you want to be treated. But as we can all see, social conservatives don't do that with LGBT citizens. They treat LGBT citizens like trash. So they've earned every bit of backlash they are receiving.

Yes free speech cuts both ways I agree, though adding hate to hate doesn't make things better. That is why I said people should vote with their feet.
Criticism isn't hate, though. Singing God Bless America as a means to bond in support of being anti-gay, and spitting in the foods of people perceived to be gay, is hate.

As to it being about Cathy spending his money supporting anti-gay hate groups, I am sure he is not the only big-wig supporting hateful groups or indeed arming terrorist/mercenary/drug groups, he only chose to make things a little more public than most.
You're right, he isn't the only bigot, and other bigoted corporations/bigoted CEO's of corporations are also being boycotted.

Regarding the guy who made the video, having a go at the staff who are just like you and me is not only not going to accomplish anything but is just adding more hatred where it is unnecessary.
True.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I'm sorry, Looking at the replies to this video... is ATS some kind of gay-hate site aswell? (at least a majority of members seem to be).

What is wrong with voicing your opinion about a corporation's stance on discrimination and hate?

The dude did nothing wrong.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by InsideYourMind

Dude used his right to free speech and acted like a jerk, put it on the internet thinking he was a big man, and paid a price for it by being removed from his CFO position.

And nice insult thrown in there. ATS is a hate site because not everyone agrees with gay marriage? Typical.
edit on Fri, 03 Aug 2012 10:54:38 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by InsideYourMind
I'm sorry, Looking at the replies to this video... is ATS some kind of gay-hate site aswell? (at least a majority of members seem to be).

What is wrong with voicing your opinion about a corporation's stance on discrimination and hate?

The dude did nothing wrong.
I'd say about 75% of the people on this forum are anti-gay to a certain extent. It's very alarming. With that being said, this guy is being short-sighted in what he did, although he wasn't hateful. But as I'm sure you know, conservatives love playing victim.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Calm Down, Take a deep Breath. Stop being so reactionary.

Well I agree that the guy in the video is a jerk. He has made a statement in the one of the least useful ways. Second I never said the guy was gay because he has a lisp. I have a friend who has a severe lisp and he is super straight. No wait I know two guys like that actually. Both totally strait.

As a guy you know just as well as any other guy if the guy next to you is gay. You yourself admit having gaydar! It's not just for gay people. All guys have it. DO you deny your gaydar is very accurate? Cause you just said it works pretty damned good. SO why would you think that it's not a guy thing to posses gaydar and only a gay thing? All guys have gaydar. For 99.9% of the men in the world its very accurate. If a bunch of guys say some other guy is gay then he probably is. What I don't get is simply because most guys are able to easily tell if someone is gay or not that you automatically assume it means the guys have anything against gays? Most of the guys I know don't care one way or the other which way a dude swings.

But one could argue that since humans have evolved into being social animals there is a strong biological need to know who's who in the pecking order of a tribe. Who's the alpha male etc... Ever think that our ability to perceive other sexual preference might have something to do with our biological evolution into a social species with a cast system or order?

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
All the owner of Chick-Fil-A said was that he supports traditional marriage.

Oh - he has said a lot more then that.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   

My Life Isn't a Political Issue

Surely the former Arkansas governor and Baptist preacher wasn't complaining that his views and those of other Christians are being censored. Because I can hear them loud and clear — whether it's from Chick-fil-A president Dan Cathy, who called marriage equality "twisted," or from Huckabee himself, who said the Boy Scouts should be allowed to ban gay scouts and leaders because they might be pedophiles.

Instead, it sure seems like Huckabee prefers that anyone who disagrees with his view of Christianity stop being so angered by its offensive message.

"I have been incensed at the vitriolic assaults on the Chick-fil-A company," he wrote. "Too often, those on the left make corporate statements to show support for same-sex marriage, abortion, or profanity, but if Christians affirm traditional values, we're considered homophobic, fundamentalists, hate-mongers, and intolerant." This is a relatively new trick in the playbook of homophobes. It's not them who are being intolerant, they claim, it's the gays. Chick-fil-A is actually the victim, which Huckabee says is "being smeared by vicious hate speech and intolerant bigotry from the left."

And it's at least partly true. I have no tolerance for people who say that although I married my husband in Washington, D.C,. in 2010, my marriage should be dissolved. Rick Santorum actually advocated just that — a forced divorce — while running for president. He also proudly attended Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day. This new line of argument from the homophobes pretends that what Santorum says is merely a "political view." But my life is much more than that.

Chick-fil-A has used the money its customers spend to then make huge donations ($5 million and counting) to antigay groups, including those that try to turn people from gay to straight. These groups claim my love for my husband is a sin, a lifestyle choice, or a mental disorder I am suffering — usually all three.

It's wrong for anyone to ask me to "tolerate" that view. That's what the mayors of Boston, Chicago, Washington, and San Francisco all understand — that this isn't an issue of liberals tolerating conservatives, or Republicans tolerating Democrats. This isn't an argument about the pros and cons of the Keystone Pipeline. This is about discrimination. This isn’t about religious values; it’s about American values. www.advocate.com...

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

Now i dislike chik-fil-a, not just because they are anti-gay but because I dont like their food. Pickles dont belong on a chicken sandwhich! I mean really! Also fred chicken should not be a breakfast food. But this guy is a pompous a**, I was going to call him a feminine hygiene product but didn't want my post to be removed.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   

reply to post by InsideYourMind

Dude used his right to free speech and acted like a jerk, put it on the internet thinking he was a big man, and paid a price for it by being removed from his CFO position.

And nice insult thrown in there. ATS is a hate site because not everyone agrees with gay marriage? Typical.
edit on Fri, 03 Aug 2012 10:54:38 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

If you don't agree with gay marriage, then don't get married to someone of the same sex.
Your opinion shouldn't change what OTHERS can do.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by r2d246
reply to post by unityemissions

Meet in a dark alley to kick his azz, I meant, what were you thinking ha ha ..... oh sick!!!

I know what you meant. You said you could tell someones gayness by the sound of their voice
and that's enough for you to want to kick the guys ass.

Shame on you.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Yeah, the truth of the matter is militant homosexuals are just bullies seeking to force people into submission, while claiming everyone has to tolerate them. Nothing can be further from the truth. There is no difference between them and other groups like the Westboro Baptist Church. None at all.

Truth is, they're only hurting their cause and when people have had enough, they're the one's who're going to be hurting when the backlash comes.

It may not be in this generation or in our lifetime, but eventually people will become fed up with them.

All bullies everywhere must be opposed and stood up to and fought any way you can.

If that's homophobia, as the bullies try to define it, then so be it. But it's not.

Bullying people into submission does not win hearts and minds, but only generates more and more resentment. But then again, that's what bullies thrive on, is hate and resentment so they really don't want good relations between straights and other homosexuals, but want to separate the two groups.

All they're doing is hurting things, but they don't care, as long as they get their way.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join