It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why no Warhammer 40k?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Ohh man, I just got this game and have to say that it is awesome! Best RTS to date that I've played in awhile.

Gameplay
The gameplay is similar to most other RTS, but has a free roaming camera mode where you can spin, rotate, zoom in and out, etc. The cool feature about this is there's not as much micro-management to deal with when you have 100's of troops. Units are grouped together with a maximum of 10 troops, they can have a hero, or a Sgt. for each unit. You can add medics, or Librarians (basically wizards), there's mech droids, gameply is a blast. The Single player story line is incredible. I havnt played the Multiplayer yet.

Graphics
Totally customizable units. Graphics are extremely sharp on this one. It is a resource hog though. Recommended stats for this one are a 2.2 ghz, with 512 megs of ram and a good video card.

Is this game replayable?? absolutely!! I give this game a 10 of 10 rating. Absolutely kicks ass!

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 07:32 PM
link   
If I only had a better computer I'd be playing that rihgt now.

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 07:37 PM
link   
its a great game. my bro and i play the table top game too. ill post some pics here of my army. you should see my land raider crusader. its awsome

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 02:45 AM
link   
I tried getting into the board/land game, but it's way too expensive. My brother in law does it and he's got around 3k invested into his army. He pays people to paint his soldiers.

Yeah, the game is awesome! I've got a 2.6 ghz, with 512 and a 128 meg nvidia card, and it still runs a bit laggy, I usually turn everything down or off in the game to make it run better. I think the minimum for the game is a 1.4 ghz with 512 megs of ram.

any of you Warcraft 3 games would definitely love this one. It's an awesome sleeper game if I've ever seen one.

Odd

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I've been playing tabletop 40k for a few years now, and I love it... painting those little $40 plastic bastards, and pretending to shoot my friends' bastards' with their little $40 plastic guns, has taken weeks out of my life.

I have to ask, though... does the turn-based system translate well to an RTS? I'll most likely pick up the game sooner or later, but my budget doesn't allow for many game purchases, so your advice will help me prioritize things.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Trust me, odd. As the owner of 5000+ points of Dark Angels, this game is worth it. I have the Beta, and it's pretty good. My complaint is, as always, that the game is imbalanced, Chaos having every advantage. It's the halmark of fantasy, 40k (iron warriors- nuff said) and now this game. However, having a Squiggoth and ugrades such as CHoppier have made me a fan of orks. Orks orks orks orks...

DE

Odd

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I have two friends who play Iron Warriors, and I know exactly what you mean :bash:

I'll pick it up soon, then; that addresses all of my concerns. In my heart of hearts, though, I pray that we might one day see expansions for more armies... including my babies, the Necrons.

BTW... were you interested in Warhammer Online? I play WFB as well as 40k, and I nearly cried when I found out that it had been canceled.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Yes, man-thing! Cower before the might of my rat-rats! Well, my late rat-rats. Sold them.

And I too have died a Pie Plate Death.

As for necrons... I dunno, I find that as someone who plays cityfight almost exclusively, they suck. A lot. In confined quarters, they get mulched. In close combat, their regulars get mulched. Their units are too huge. In cityfight, I have developed the 'cellular' tactic. Cells and strongpoints.

DE

Odd

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I play Skaven as well. Love the little bastards, but there's nothing quite so tedious as getting Clanrats to rank up :bnghd:

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 10:21 PM
link   
The key, my friend, is the Warpfire thrower. Or the Ratling gun. Your clanrats don't inflict casualties- it's the support by their side, and/or the assasins in their ranks. think think...

DE

Odd

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Oh, I have my artillery... but I play a standard Skaven list, so there's the damned Core Units rule, one unit of Clanrats for every other unit, at least.

They soak up damage like you wouldn't beleive, though, and they're dangerous if you underestimate them.... like Snotlings, but furry

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I was warpign towards eshin... have you seen the Deathmaster rules? 536 points of DEATH. I was goign to get buckets of Night Runners and Gutter runners, throw things....soem globadiers...

Globadiers are the ultimate solution to Chaos.

DE

Odd

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I can attest to that. My Globadiers are a major part of my army, and they're my best-painted models besides. Those little guys are the backbone of my ranged offense, such as it is, and it's easy to underestimate the power of a rat chucking balls of glass full of warp-fart.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grommer
I tried getting into the board/land game, but it's way too expensive. My brother in law does it and he's got around 3k invested into his army. He pays people to paint his soldiers.

he pays people to paint his army? painting is half the fun of it though

im doing an imperial guard army. im going to need alot of troops!

[Edited on 10-17-2004 by KrazyIvan]

Odd

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Good luck, Ivan... painting the Guard is about as tough as 40k gets-- they're tiny compared to many other miniatures, and there're just so darned many of them.

I've heard rumors around the local GW store of a new line of Valhallan IG plastics, and if that pans out, I'm building an army around them myself.

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I don't know...blocks and blocks of slaves....without Bestial Brown spraypaint...

DE

new topics

top topics

join