It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mysterious Motives of the Late Rex Sherwood's Recent Fatal Visit to Dulce Last Week

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
This story was on the local news from Albuquerque a couple of nights last week and I'm only just now finding the time to come to ATS and speculate out loud about the things that popped into my head immediately upon hearing the details of this somewhat strange incident. I did a search but didn't find a single mention of this incident here at ATS so I hope I'm not bringing up old news or duplicating threads.

DULCE, NM (KRQE) - New details are being released about the gunman killed in a shootout in Northern New Mexico Sunday. Officials say 48-year-old Rex Sherwood had bombs and was anti-government.

This new information could explain why Sherwood opened fire on police after a traffic stop Tuesday and then bolted into the mountains before making his way back to Dulce days later.

Last Tuesday tribal police pulled Sherwood over near Dulce for not using a turn signal. Police say Sherwood then led them on a chase before getting out of his truck, wearing a bulletproof vest, and opening fire on them with an AK 47. Sherwood then took off on foot into the mountains, leaving his bullet-riddled truck behind.

Sources say Sherwood, who has roots in Colorado and Arizona, was a computer expert with anti-government views and had homemade bombs in his truck. State Police say Sherwood was from Minnesota.

Sherwood has minor drug charges but no major criminal history.

There are links to a number of updates/followups on this incident on the left side of the original story which I linked to above...but the details are basically outlined in what I've quoted...this guy has no criminal history other than a minor drug charge...and on the TV news they also said that absolutely nothing illegal (other than the bombs, which weren't mentioned on TV from my recollection) was found when they searched his vehicle (this was after he died in the gas station in Dulce)...he gets pulled over for a minor traffic violation or even what I might call an oversight of not using his turn signal...not something that the tribal OR state police are going to get worked up over at all...probably would have just gotten a friendly warning, really.

Absolutely no apparent reason for this guy to be so...um...defensive and belligerent...at least on the surface!
And certainly being armed with semi-automatic firearms, Kevlar, and IED's is, to me, just a bit extreme, even, for someone, say, from "Breaking Bad," so much less someone with no criminal profile or contraband on board...

They weren't even sure at first if he was really the person named on the vehicle's documentation, so evidently this guy was not in the NCIC database.

But yet, he's wearing a bullet proof vest/body armor and has an AK-47 in his vehicle (as well as some homemade bombs)...with which he then goes full-out John Rambo on everyone for a week...the whole thing ending tragically in a standoff by what is being reported as a self-inflicted fatal wound by local authorities.

Here is a bit from one of those associated links:

But one question was answered late Tuesday when the Jicarilla Apache Nation released a statement saying Sherwood killed himself ending an hours-long standoff with tribal, state and federal officers on Sunday morning.

No one else was injured as Sherwood sprayed bullets from a reservation convenience store perforating police vehicles.

Neither New Mexico State Police nor the FBI have confirmed publicly that Sherwood died by his own hand.

Sources have told KRQE News 13 Sherwood was a computer expert with extreme anti-government opinions.

They also say he had homemade bombs in the back of the truck he was driving when Jicarilla Apache tribal police tried to pull him over near Dulce on July 10.

After leading the officers led on a chase on U.S. Highway 64, he got out of the truck wearing body armor and starting firing an AK-47.

He then took off into the mountains.

Then on Sunday morning he was spotted trying to break in to a gas station on U.S. 64 in Dulce.

I didn't know about his being a computer expert with extreme anti-government opinions until just this morning, reading the news online...but if asked I would have bet the farm on FOR rather than against such details being indeed, the possible truth...

As soon as I heard the first report, I thought to myself...this guy is a conspiracy theorist! Gone to Dulce to be a martyr for the freedom of all of us...and my next thought was...I wonder who is MIA from ATS?

I certainly hope NO ONE is missing in action but those thoughts rose unbidden, if ya dig.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I would think that people on ATS are too busy typing to have the time to pull of any kind of criminal act..... There is very much bravado, chest beating and speculation going on here but other than that I doubt that anyone here a real threat to the status quo.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Anti-Gov..... Dulce.... Computer Expert... I have only one question and I feel sick while asking it, but hey..It has to be asked.

What was his ATS Screen Name?

I find it very hard to imagine someone fitting all the details they describe wouldn't have found ATS himself, long ago.... So which debater we thought we knew, did this? Do we even WANT to know?

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

My thoughts exactly...then and still, now.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
repelty to post by hypervigilant

Ah...but to Rex Sherwood...his activities and perhaps intentions were not at all criminal...he might have believed he was going to fight the true criminals!

I think there is a little bit more vim and vigor in our midst than you might estimate.

I feel sorry for the guy, at any rate. If that was his thinking...he died probably believing himself to be a failure.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by queenannie38

Sad isn't it? I agree entirely with what the mindset might have been barring any better details. I'll say this.... Dulce is a name I am uncomfortable even saying in some settings. Evil..pure, unadulterated and unrestricted Evil. That is my impression of what is commonly referred to as simply 'Dulce' but likely makes Area 51 look like a small outpost for sheer size when the vertical dimension is considered.

Yeah.. He may well have thought he was going to strike a blow for everything he considered important. Perhaps, being fanciiful for just a moment, he was someone like we hear who constantly wants to be told 'What can I do!?'. I've wondered sometimes, how many might eventually think of this. It's a bad way to die for nothing, in my personal opinion...but in his mind? Maybe it was entirely different. Only he really knew for sure.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
As a lifelong resident of the 4 corners area, knowing what I know, if his death had anything to do with the myth surrounding Dulce, he died needlessly. Perhaps idle speculations based on fuzzy google images and crack pot sources has actual, harmful consequences. What's next? An attack on Public Service Company of New Mexico's San Juan Generating Station?
edit on 27-7-2012 by RKWWWW because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by RKWWWW

Yes...that, too, was something that came to my mind soon after hearing about this tragedy....that it was an unnecessary sacrifice...stemming more from an obsession rather than conviction.

I have lived down in the SE corner of the state all my life but I've traveled extensively all over this lovely and enchanted state that is my home...I had never looked into the Dulce issue until today because of this incident finally spurring my curiosity.

That coal mine in San Juan is a surface mining operation, right? And the coal strata appears to be relatively shallow compared to that associated with traditional tunnel mining...I have no problem with the idea that nothing is really going on up there but a lot of people slaving for the man and our collective energy addiction/habit...that website author really ought to do just a little bit of research into mining and MSHA and it would clarify a lot of the confusing he's having with the satellite images...I'm thinking that there is evidence of top-dressing and measures to prevent soil erosion in those zig zaggy 'tailing' piles...they are, in my best guess, compliance with reclamation guidelines for coal mines of this type.

My boyfriend's father worked for MSHA for many many years and started out as a coal miner back in WV but once out west, only worked in the hard-rock mines. MSHA has the coal mines and the hard rock mines totally separate in all ways, including health and safety and investigation of incidents....most jobs around here have traditionally been either oil field or hard rock mining jobs and so it's not such a mystery to me although the coal mining part of it is far less familiar to me...but when I was reading about the San Juan mine, I kept getting a mental image of the Santa Rita mine in my mind...

If I had to say one way or another, I'd vote for there being mostly just fracked out shale underneath that power plant...no aliens unless that nasty produced water is capable of abiogenesis of oil-fiending demons....I suspect that at times but it is just my imagination.

I wonder if that Operation Plowshare stuff has contributed to the ideas about Dulce? The Project Gnome site is quite near where I live and it was the first test in that series for trying to find peaceful productive uses for THE BOMB...all they did was make a lot of mess, it seems. And melt a lot of rock that stayed hot for like a year later! I can't believe we drink the water around here, if you dig.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I guess we'll never know. I doubt even the authorities have much to go on...probably don't care, anyway, now that the threat to the people around there is eliminated. Apparently it was a week of stress and anxiety for many residents.

You know what Dulce means, don't you? It is Spanish for 'sweet.'

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by RKWWWW
As a lifelong resident of the 4 corners area, knowing what I know, if his death had anything to do with the myth surrounding Dulce, he died needlessly. Perhaps idle speculations based on fuzzy google images and crack pot sources has actual, harmful consequences. What's next? An attack on Public Service Company of New Mexico's San Juan Generating Station?
edit on 27-7-2012 by RKWWWW because: (no reason given)

I agree.

My ex-inlaws were from Farmington and worked at the San Juan Generating Station but never mentioned underground alien bases.

The story is an Internet myth, I believe possibly inspired by a DOE underground nuclear test conducted in the area in the 1960's.

My understanding is the story gained traction in the early 1980's during the Roswell revival and was championed by a nutjob in Albuquerque who thought he was picking up alien broadcasts on his shortwave.

Project Gasbuggy was an underground nuclear detonation carried out by the United States Atomic Energy Commission on December 10, 1967 in rural northern New Mexico. It was part of Operation Plowshare, a program designed to find peaceful uses for nuclear explosions

The site, which is now part of Carson National Forest, is approximately 25 miles southwest of Dulce, New Mexico and 50 miles east of Farmington, and was chosen because natural gas deposits were known to be held in sandstone beneath Leandro Canyon.

A 29-kiloton device was placed at a depth of 4,227 feet (1288 meters) underground and detonated; a crowd had gathered to watch, which viewed the detonation from atop a nearby butte.

Project Gasbuggy

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I couldn't find anything that shows how this guy was anti-government.. He was certainly anti-social enough to just start shooting police on sight..

The anti-government label is used a lot by the media as a propaganda tool to make people naturally distance themselves from anyone speaking out about government issues..

They do this to people who are whistleblowers against government CORRUPTION....and many others..

People are anti-corruption far more than they are anti-government, but the media lables them all anti-government... I think most people will see how this helps the corrupt elements currently working under impunity, and how it would help insure that corruption continues, by calling all who oppose them, "anti-government"..

Not trying to go off topic, but they used the "anti-government" moniker often enough to make sure people remember it.. I just would like to know how he is, if he is.. (or was I should say)

edit on 28-7-2012 by alienreality because: eta

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenannie38

That coal mine in San Juan is a surface mining operation, right? And the coal strata appears to be relatively shallow compared to that associated with traditional tunnel mining...I have no problem with the idea that nothing is really going on up there but a lot of people slaving for the man and our collective energy addiction/habit...that website author really ought to do just a little bit of research into mining and MSHA and it would clarify a lot of the confusing he's having with the satellite images...I'm thinking that there is evidence of top-dressing and measures to prevent soil erosion in those zig zaggy 'tailing' piles...they are, in my best guess, compliance with reclamation guidelines for coal mines of this type.

The coal to fuel that particular plant has an interesting history. The plant was built to take advantage of low sulfur coal that was thought to be near the surface at the plant site. However, once the plant was commissioned and put into operation, it became apparent that the original samples of the coal submitted for assay were not representative of the surface coal. The company continued to use the inferior coal for a short time until a better, close by source could be secured. The second coal source was found about 25 miles away near the Colorado border right off State Highway 170. The company that provided the coal was known as La Plata Coal. From the mid '70's until about 2005 all the fuel was from that source. While that source was being depleted, studies showed that there was mid-grade coal below the low-grade coal at the plant site proper. During the last 6-7 years the company developed mines at the plant for that coal. So you're right and wrong. Early on there was some limited surface mining at the plant site, and some of the surface features are evidence of the reclamation measures to minimize and mitigate the environmental effects of mining. But most of the features that can be seen from above are the unique results of a specialized underground mining technique called long wall mining. In that process the basic idea is to remove essentially all of the coal from a broad coal face and allow the roof and overlying rock to collapse into the void left behind. The land around the San Juan Generating Station has the classic look of long wall mining. If you take a google look at the Twentymile Mine near Steamboat Springs, Colorado you can see similar features. Had the fool who owns the web site had been a legitimate researcher, he could have easily discovered this.
edit on 28-7-2012 by RKWWWW because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Four Corners area? Wasent there a shootout between cops and some 'militia' group in that area back in the late 90s? I believe a cop was killed. Huge manhunt with hundreds of Federal, state, local, and Indian Tribal police.

Could this guy have been involved in that?

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisF231
Four Corners area? Wasent there a shootout between cops and some 'militia' group in that area back in the late 90s? I believe a cop was killed. Huge manhunt with hundreds of Federal, state, local, and Indian Tribal police.

Could this guy have been involved in that?

They accounted for those three guys. Eventually the last one's body was found..
fourcornersfreepress.com...
edit on 8-8-2012 by RKWWWW because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by RKWWWW

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back here!

Thank you for the information and taking the time to share it. I learned some stuff...and my thoughts were the same as your last statement. Just a little bit of research is often all that is needed to make a lot of things more clear.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by alienreality
I couldn't find anything that shows how this guy was anti-government.. He was certainly anti-social enough to just start shooting police on sight..

(...)

Not trying to go off topic, but they used the "anti-government" moniker often enough to make sure people remember it.. I just would like to know how he is, if he is.. (or was I should say)

edit on 28-7-2012 by alienreality because: eta

Well, I agree to some extent of what you are pointing out...but in this case, the fact that he only had altercations with the various police authorities (state, local, and tribal)...and they were immediate and dramatic and he was obviously prepared and perhaps even intending altercations with these particular groups...he was up in the hills for a whole week and the news said that the residents in that area spent a very anxious 7 days...and there have been no reports of any altercation or even encounter with regular 'civilians.'

If not anti-government, then surely perhaps anti-law enforcement.

But then the absence of any significant rap sheet makes that not so likely...imo, that is.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
lol Sounds like a p*ssed off ex-employee of the Dulce base came back to free the clones and kill the evil aliens !

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   
They make it very clear in those articles

Sources have told KRQE News 13 Sherwood was a computer expert with extreme anti-government opinions. They also say he had homemade bombs in the back of the truck

Kinda sticks out doesnt it?

It seems to be very important for them to make this point.

Nothing to see here people move on please!!

new topics

top topics

join