It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Multiculturalism and the future of the United States of America.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by IEtherianSoul9
reply to post by Viking9019

What in the world are talking about? There's no such thing as a "pure race", nor does race even exist as a biological concept.

Really?

You don't see a difference between Europeans, Negros and Asians? You definately need new glasses.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by toxicblud
My opinion is....

Racial mixing destroys the roots of the offspring. He has no traditions left because he no longer has any ties to any of his folk. He no longer knows who he is. This is deracination. Yes, he is still human ( for all the 'enlightened' do-gooders out there who wear their good guy badges so valiantly ) but his 'racial' heritage and traditions have been displaced, forcing him or her to side with one of his racial backgrounds or take pride in all of them, which I'm sure can be a bit unnerving if there are more than four or five, or if they are polar opposites. What do you call a domestic dog who's breed cannot be pinned down??? A mutt.

That last bit was not meant to offend anyone thought I'm sure it will.

Thing is we are pretty much all mutts. Would you not think that one can take pride in the idea that he is from a lot of mixed backgrounds and that this is what ties him to the rest of his folks ? What if the majority of people become like him ? Doesn't it become a "background" of its own ?

I am not offended by the comparison with mutts, i think it is a good analogy. Only as much as we like to say there are some purebred they are nothing but mutts that have been bred with the same mutts for generations until it gives the same mutt every time.

edit on 27-7-2012 by DCLXVI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Taz2122

Originally posted by IEtherianSoul9
reply to post by Viking9019

What in the world are talking about? There's no such thing as a "pure race", nor does race even exist as a biological concept.

Really?

You don't see a difference between Europeans, Negros and Asians? You definately need new glasses.

What is a negro ?

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by DCLXVI

There will be a point in the near future when White people will be a minority in this country, how do you think multiculturalism will then be perceived (by the minority of white people in America)?

I never thought about it before, but multiculturalism seems to be the middle of the road for redefining us into a single culture. Like when Constantine decided that all Romans would be Christian.

I don't think mixed race kids are any different from other kids. All of my children are mixed race. That in itself is amazing. I was halfway raised to think non-whites are inferior. I'm glad I grew up, as I've had some amazing experiences because of it.

edit on 27-7-2012 by tamusan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by DCLXVI

Of course we are all mutts. There is nothing pure left. This is my point exactly. I'm not claiming I am any different than anyone else or any better. I don't think that mutts can't take pride in all of their backgrounds, I am just saying that any original roots or the purity of any all encompassing folk bloodline is diluted and poisoned into extinction once one race is mixed with another. This is just my opinion on the matter.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 02:21 AM
link   
There has been sufficient evidence that the more different a man and woman are from each other, genetically, the more benefit to their immune system.
Different people, from different environments, develop and inherit differing immunities, so a child from different peoples inherits a wider set of immunities.

Culture has nothing to do with skin color. It is all human phenomena that are not purely results of human genetics.
Specifically, the evolved human capacity to classify and represent experiences with symbols, and to act imaginatively and creatively.

(italics copied and pasted from wikipedia)

The idea that was pressed forward for so long in the "melting pot" theme was that people of other cultures would join in and become inculcated by the american culture. This was made more inviting by the promise of embracing different colors of skin and physical differences. That spread to letting them speak a different language.... you can keep your old language, as long as you integrate our cultural values and morals.

Part of that fail was the lack of comprehension in how language itself vehicles culture.

edit on 27-7-2012 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by pisssss

MUAHAHAHAHA ... progressives are anti-corporate. Please. They have their own corporate interest.. the many corporate scandals by Obama can be evidence enough for this. The greatest lie ever told by Progressives is that they are against big profit. BS. complete and total BS, made funny by the ignorant masses that ate it up (like you). It's all about money, power and control .... it's just a different group with a different background seeking bigger profits from different corporations. Open your eyes my friend.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bluesma
There has been sufficient evidence that the more different a man and woman are from each other, genetically, the more genetic benefit to their immune system.
Different people, from different environments, develop and inherit differing immunities, so a child from different peoples inherits a wider set of immunities.

Culture has nothing to do with skin color. It is all human phenomena that are not purely results of human genetics.
Specifically, the evolved human capacity to classify and represent experiences with symbols, and to act imaginatively and creatively.

(italics copied and pasted from wikipedia)

The idea that was pressed forward for so long in the "melting pot" theme was that people of other cultures would join in and become inculcated by the american culture. This was made more inviting by the promise of embracing different colors of skin and physicla differences. That spread to letting them speak a different language.... you can keep your old language, as long as you integrate our cultural values and morals.

Part of that fail was the lack of comprehension in how language itself vehicles culture.

Yes but inevitably the host culture is being changed by all of its guest culture. Also i agree with you that language is way stronger of a bond between two human beings than the color of the skin. Si on était perdu dans la forêt ce n'est pas notre couleur qui nous sauverai mais nôtre habileté a se comprendre

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

I've often read and have been told that Bilingual or multilingual children are smarter. I didn't include that in my last post, because language and race are also independent on each other. Yes, my children are indeed more intelligent than I was at their age. I myself feel smarter, when comparing to before I became multilingual.

www.nytimes.com...
From the above article:

Being bilingual, it turns out, makes you smarter. It can have a profound effect on your brain, improving cognitive skills not related to language and even shielding against dementia in old age.

Bilinguals, for instance, seem to be more adept than monolinguals at solving certain kinds of mental puzzles.

The key difference between bilinguals and monolinguals may be more basic: a heightened ability to monitor the environment. “Bilinguals have to switch languages quite often — you may talk to your father in one language and to your mother in another language,”

edit on 27-7-2012 by tamusan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by DCLXVI

Yes but inevitably the host culture is being changed by all of its guest culture. Also i agree with you that language is way stronger of a bond between two human beings than the color of the skin. Si on était perdu dans la forêt ce n'est pas notre couleur qui nous sauverai mais nôtre habileté a se comprendre

Exactement.

My husband and I are from two different parts of the world and two cultures. I can attest that our kids are exceptionally bright, healthy, and attractive (okay, I might be unable to be objective there...
)

But in having to learn his language, I soon figured out that it was not just a matter of learning how to say things, translating what I think from one language to another! It was essential that I learn a different way of thinking, different values, different symbolic associations and collective memory!

In sum, I had to develop another ego of sorts- I have an american self and a french self, and I slip from one to the other as needed and they have different ways of seeing the world and different values. This is a sort of mental gymnastic.

But anyway, it made me very aware- if I was still speaking english only here, I would not have integrated the culture, as much of it streams in through the language.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by pisssss

MUAHAHAHAHA ... progressives are anti-corporate. Please. They have their own corporate interest.. the many corporate scandals by Obama can be evidence enough for this. The greatest lie ever told by Progressives is that they are against big profit. BS. complete and total BS, made funny by the ignorant masses that ate it up (like you). It's all about money, power and control .... it's just a different group with a different background seeking bigger profits from different corporations. Open your eyes my friend.

You are mistaking the hypocritical practice of, with
the underlying belief system. Progressives believe corporations should be limited and subjected to
democratic whims, in order to create a more "fair" economy.

What is so confusing is that your first post sounds like....

Karl Marx, who claims that the Bourgeoisie and capitalists use their business ventures
to purposefully destroy culture and boarders in order make all corners of the Earth dependent
upon their goods and the wages. The 1 part of the Communist Manifesto drives home your
points but bases the logic on economics, not culture. Just replace "Progressives" and
replace is with "Bourgeoise" and you sound like a jr. Marx.

I was talking ideology - I will certainly agree that practice of any ideology is far from what
people preach or claim to believe.

You should read that book, it would shock you to read how close your theory is.

"National differences and antagonisms are daily, more and more vanishing owing to the
development of the Bourgeoise, the freedom of commerce, to the world market, to uniformity
in the mode of production and in the conditions of life, corresponding there to."

Karl Marx

edit on 27-7-2012 by pisssss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by pisssss

Originally posted by FOXMULDER147
"Multiculturalism" is a misnomer.

Take seven or eight different colors of paint. Mix them in a bucket. Sure, at first you can still differentiate between the individual colors, and appreciate the way they interact. Now keep mixing. What happens? Eventually you get grey sludge. Not a trace of vibrancy, all the original colors gone.

Multiculturalism destroys culture.

You are comparing paint to genetics to culture, three different arenas.

Paint is paint

Genetics do not propagate culture

Culture is dependent upon the times and social interaction -

I imagine a society with one color as lacking vibrancy, as in maintaining racial division,
the opposite what you consider. All white, All Black, is same old same old, be there
done that, BLAND.

Umm, no. I used the analogy of the paint to represent different cultures. I didn't mention race or 'genetics'. You did. Any culture can contain many multiple races, and almost always does.

If you understood my analogy to mean that I advocate maintaining racial divisions then you have completely misunderstood my point. Sorry.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join