It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Female Greek athlete sent home for racist remark

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

I love Don Rickles.....thats one funny Jew......as so he would say himself.......

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaryStillToe

Also, I've never heard the phrase "As White as Apple Pie" so I really don't follow your drift.

There also wasn't any reference in the tweet to 'as black as a mosquito' so I don't get your drift either?

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by 11andrew34
Ok...looking into this now a bit more and there is significantly more to it than just the one joke, and also involved some recent support for some sketchy political party called Golden Dawn.

...And that’s the nail in the coffin of this story, nice find
:

Golden Dawn (Greece)
Golden Dawn (Greek: Χρυσή Αυγή, Chrysi Avgi, Greek pronunciation: [xriˈsi avˈʝi])[note 1] is a right-wing extremist[7] political organization in Greece. It is led by Nikolaos Michaloliakos and has grown from a small, fringe group to a widely reported Greek political party with nationwide support.
Scholars and media describe it as neo-Nazi[8][9] and fascist[10] although the group rejects these labels.[11] They have, however, used Nazi symbolism and praised figures of Nazi Germany in the past.[12][13][14]

edit on 7/26/2012 by defcon5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by 11andrew34

Originally posted by sonnny1
Again, the Olympics are a Unity thing, bringing the World together, for one Purpose.

Put it this way, would people have been offended, if Hitler said it, about Jesse Owens ?

Food for thought.

Not much to chew over really.

Not that it matters, but national sports, national medal counts, etc is clearly not much of a unity builder. The Olympics are fairly reliable source of rancor and discord, by its own track record.

And I'll only respond to your really lame hypothetical if you tell me exactly what you would have your puppet Hitler tweeting about Jesse Owens. Until then it's not possible because I don't see any particular way to mash the meaning of this joke into that context.

Sorry, but its meant to Unify the World, in Competition. The whole point of the "hypothetical" was to show you how truly stupid it is, to talk about race, or "infer" some disparaging remarks, about another country, Nation, or Continent, at the Olympics !

Is it truly that hard to understand?

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 06:06 AM
link   

I told Domo it would be like an Iranian saying, "Hey Israelis, Your safe from a terrorist attack, this year at the Olympics" wink:wink.......

No it would not be like that. Africa is a continent, not a country. It is MULTI-RACIAL. Like the U.S.A. - If one refers to Americans is one referring to Blacks only? Whites? Latinos? I didn't think so.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

See my above statement............

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Look, the comment isnt that bad....and regardless of her political affiliation...the chick is smokin hot....and its the olympics....they're not paying her to talk anyway....whats the big deal...Geesh

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Is everyone that was so offended going to write and complain about Daley Thompson carrying the torch and being at the opening ceremony too by the way?

Surely he should be thrown out too?

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kastogere
the chick is smokin hot....

And that is supposed to give her some type of pass on being a bigot?

Originally posted by Kastogere
they're not paying her to talk anyway....

She’s being sent to represent her country. That includes the ones that she's criticizing.

edit on 7/26/2012 by defcon5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

I understand your position. I can respect your position. But I still disagree. It was a joke. And it wasn't a joke meant to be at the expense of a race of people. That's the difference.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are
reply to post by sonnny1

I understand your position. I can respect your position. But I still disagree. It was a joke. And it wasn't a joke meant to be at the expense of a race of people. That's the difference.

She gets it though....................

“I would like to express my heartfelt apologies for the unfortunate and tasteless joke I published on my personal Twitter account,” she said. “I am very sorry and ashamed for the negative responses I triggered, since I never wanted to offend anyone, or to encroach human rights.”

Peace
edit on 26-7-2012 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by khimbar
Is it racist though? Really?

Yes.

There is also a rise in the far-right in Greece that the population has demanded be dealt with. The government is under pressure to deal with racism and xenophobia in all its forms right now, and rightly so.

People need to look back on history and see that things are replaying. The populations of various nations are not wise to it, but a lot of what is happening now happened in Europe during the rise of Hitler.

People absolutely have to realize that we cannot let something like that happen again, under any circumstances. Allowing people like this to perpetuate their hatred is continuing the risk and spreading ignorance through populations.

She was an idiot, and at first I also thought that it was a little harsh to be removed. But, she embarrassed her country, she embarrassed her backers and she embarrassed herself.

When you are representing your country and your people in something like the Olympics you need to understand that you have a level of decency that must be upheld. She forgot that and she paid the price.

I think they were right to remove her. If someone did something like this to embarrass my country I would want them removed from representing us too.
edit on 26-7-2012 by detachedindividual because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

There was a time a long time ago where people had enough personal pride where such things being said wouldnt bother them. back then people spoke the truth publically no matter how brash it may have sounded. Some people agreed, some didn't, but they didn't raise a stink because that was their right to do so.

Things were much simpler then, and people were more honest with one another.

Now, we are faced with a slighted media which pushes someone elses agenda. To the point where all of a sudden we are so insecure about ourselves we get offended at the slightest truth no matter how that truth comes to our ears.

I mean come on, how many bad taste jokes having to do with race, gender, or religion have you made?

And the funny thing about stereotypes? they have many truths about them....thats what makes such humor about them very funny.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are
reply to post by sonnny1

It depends who tells the joke though, doesn't it?

She is a supporter of the far-right party.

It would be like someone who supports the ideals of the KKK getting up on stage and spouting jokes about black people in America, a neo-Nazi making jokes about Jews, or a Christian fundamentalist making jokes about gay people.

The suggestion that it's "just a joke" only goes so far. When the person expressing that joke already has extreme opinions and views it's not the same as a black comedian using the n word on stage or a gay man playing a camp persona.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

She herself, has already said it was "tasteless". And still, there are people willing to defend, when she has stated it was wrong.......

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by khimbar
Is everyone that was so offended going to write and complain about Daley Thompson carrying the torch and being at the opening ceremony too by the way?

Surely he should be thrown out too?

He should be thrown out.A few days ago he was commenting on a spelling mistake in a tattoo and stated it must have been someone Irish who did the tattoo.

Many apologies followed his very stupid and racist comment.

www.irishcentral.com...

edit on 26-7-2012 by lacrimaererum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

I didn't see what you are infering at all.
It was a harmless joke on her twitter account.
She insulted no one .. except maybe the bugs.
It's only racist to those who want to cry racism all the time.
The reaction of throwing her out of the olympics was absurd.

Originally posted by lacrimaererum
the woman was complaining that there is too many immigrants in her home country of Greece.

Show us where EXACTLY did she said that. Good luck with that.

Originally posted by detachedindividual
She is a supporter of the far-right party.

1 - Are you sure about that?
2 - So what? The far right is automatically 'racist' ??
3 - What she said wasn't racist .. it's you people who are assuming something into it.

Jeeeze ... she made a joke on her twitter account. SO FREAK'n WHAT?? She didn't post things about skin color of black people, or disparage them, or anything about hanging them or anything like that. She posted that the bugs with West Nile would find people from that area of the world tasty because it would remind them of home. SO WHAT? Other than her getting it wrong, that the bugs themselves aren't from Africa but the virus infecting them is .... SO WHAT?? It was just a freak'n bug joke.
It's no big deal and certainly not something that should get a person kicked out of the olympics. And to say she embarrassed her country .. that's absurd.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   

She herself, has already said it was "tasteless". And still, there are people willing to defend, when she has stated it was wrong.......:

She had to say that .... She wants to go to the olympics so she's sucking up to the people who cut her out.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

It was not a joke.

It was a racist slur directed at the immigrants in Greece.

'joke' is the excuse now been used, and many stupid people seem to be falling for this excuse.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimaererum
It was not a joke.

Yes it was.

It was a racist slur directed at the immigrants in Greece.

Says YOU and people who want to see racism under every rock ..

'joke' is the excuse now been used, and many stupid people seem to be falling for this excuse.

'not a joke' is the excuse being used and some stupid people seem to be falling for this excuse.

Geee ... I can call people 'stupid' too. Isn't that special.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join