It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Female Greek athlete sent home for racist remark

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by SearchLightsInc
Lol, i dont know what to make of this.

She was stupid for making that remark but i dont think she should have been ejected from the games. Perhaps fined? Though that comment is really offensive :/

Good find OP! I also read this morning NK walked out of a football match because a SK flag got shown.
Can this ruddy country do anything right?

Jokers of the world.

Is it really that offensive or are we all just getting to sensitive?

To the mods/admin: I know I just posted a new thread about this which was closed before I could even preview it.. Perhaps ATS should look into a better search feature, I search for this and came up with NOTHING.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jaellma
reply to post by Sly1one

Who said it was a racist comment???

Certainly I didn't.

If you read the story carefully and all of you need to pay attention, she was most likely banned due to her affiliation with the political extremist groups and her tweets with them and subsequent deletes...and NOT her so-called racist tweet.

Folks, this has more to do with her political affiliation than it has to do with her so-called "racist" comment.

Read between the line ATSers.

It is completely about her tweet.

She posted a racist tweet.

She was removed from the team,

She apologised for the remark.

The Hellenic Olympic Committee said Papachristou is "placed outside the Olympic team for statements contrary to the values and ideas of the Olympic movement."

Her statement on twitter. All about the tweet. Simple as.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Jaellma

It was all over ATS a few weeks ago. Some black runner made a serious comment about genetic superiority or something.

Btw, the joke she said it very common and it's not a racial joke. The punch line is that the west nile mosquitos have spread everywhere in Europe.

source

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by XXX777

Originally posted by lacrimaererum
Its amazing how many people will deny blatant racisim because it was uttered by a pretty girl.

Anyway, all those folks that support this racism are in good company. You are not the only folk who think this behaviour is acceptable;

2012 Olympics

Greece's far-right Golden Dawn party condemns the withdrawal of Greek athlete from the London Olympics for an anti-African tweet - @Reuters

www.breakingnews.com...

How is it racist to tell a joke about mosquitos and Blacks?

If a Black person tells a joke about apple pie and Whites is that considered racist?

You seriously need to consider what you are saying. The joke is about bugs biting people. The joke is not demeaning or belittling Blacks. You have been brainwashed by the racists.

The joke didnt even mention blacks. There are other races in Africa.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimaererum

Originally posted by khimbar
reply to post by lacrimaererum

That didn't answer the questions.
edit on 26-7-2012 by khimbar because: (no reason given)

your question is off-topic. this thread is not about free speech.

its about a racist slur by a female greek athlete.

nothing to do with free speech

And that answer speaks more than any other one you could have given.

Hilarious.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   

reply to post by Sly1one

Who said it was a racist comment???

Certainly I didn't.

If you read the story carefully and all of you need to pay attention, she was most likely banned due to her affiliation with the political extremist groups and her tweets with them and subsequent deletes...and NOT her so-called racist tweet.

Folks, this has more to do with her political affiliation than it has to do with her so-called "racist" comment.

Read between the line ATSers.

Thread Title:
"Female Greek athlete sent home for racist remark"

is kinda where I thought you were implying which you personally may not be but the article certainly did with a title like that...
edit on 26-7-2012 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by AnarchysAngel

Pulling out a 24 yo event is stretching it.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Really? So American Freedom of Speech laws apply to a greek Citizen in London?

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

It's a 30 year old joke about as common in Europe as, "why did the chicken cross the road?"

Boo hoo. They overreacted and now someone that worked long and hard has to go home to appease those that would make a big deal out of nothing.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by lacrimaererum

Its amazing how many people will deny blatant racisim because it was uttered by a pretty girl.

Could you please clarify for us in simple terms how exactly this is "blatant racism"?

While I disagree with others who claim it was a very funny joke (I found it mediocre at best...), what on earth is racist about it? Just because it mentions people who come from a specific continent?

Was anything bad or insulting said about africans? No, nothing even remotely insulting, derogatory, or racist (overtly or even implicitly) was said in the tweet I read. It seems more racist on the part of those making a big hoopla about it in my opinion, seeing as how not all africans are black, and not everyone from everywhere else is NOT black.

If the games were occurring somewhere other than Europe, and someone made an equally-lame joke about a european-themed affliction getting a "taste of home" or the like when affecting europeans at the event, would that be racist or something similar?

Can anyone explain the supposed "racism" in this tweet to me? It's political correctness gone wild for this girl to be expelled, and lunacy on the part of those inflating the matter trying to make themselves look sensitive and offended.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by FlyersFan

Really? So American Freedom of Speech laws apply to a greek Citizen in London?

Nope. But these do. There are other laws out there.

'The right to freedom of expression is recognized as a human right under Article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and recognized in international human rights law in the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR). Article 19 of the ICCPR states that "[e]veryone shall have the right to hold opinions without interference" and "everyone shall have the right to freedom of expression; this right shall include freedom to seek, receive and impart information and ideas of all kinds, regardless of frontiers, either orally, in writing or in print, in the form of art, or through any other media of his choice'

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Praetorius
It's political correctness gone wild for this girl to be expelled, and lunacy on the part of those inflating the matter trying to make themselves look sensitive and offended.

Reminds me of this, from Evita.

'We've all gone crazy,
Mourning all day and mourning all night.
Falling over ourselves to get all of the misery right'

Is there a special award for being the most upset or offended or something?

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by khimbar

Is there a special award for being the most upset or offended or something?

It seems like some people certainly think so, at least.

Sheer and vain idiocy masquerading as righteous indignation, in my opinion. Pardon the girl for making a stupid joke - I know I've made much worse and likely more offensive in my time, that you didn't have to try quite so hard to shoehorn implied offense or prejudice into.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by khimbar

The Principles of Olympism also says:

6. Any form of discrimination with regard to a country or a person on grounds of race, religion, politics, gender or otherwise is incompatible with belonging to the Olympic Movement.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Why Africans, why she didn't use her own race. Stupid bitch

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by khimbar

she's racist, the end!. She needs to keep her racist comments to herself!

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by sam_inc

You're misogynistic, the end. You need to keep your misogynistic comments to yourself.
edit on 26-7-2012 by khimbar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   

reply to post by khimbar

The Principles of Olympism also says:

6. Any form of discrimination with regard to a country or a person on grounds of race, religion, politics, gender or otherwise is incompatible with belonging to the Olympic Movement.

Perhaps you can explain to us exactly what definition of "discrimination" was met here?

Edit: I'm curious how everyone would be reacting if a black Grecian athlete had made the same comment? Before someone points out that there likely AREN'T any, just call it a hypothetical. Would they be perceived as racist, or just as someone making a relatively unfunny and inaccurate witty observation?

edit on 7/26/2012 by Praetorius because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

reply to post by khimbar

I think your comments are racist. You unfairly target her for being white.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Perhaps because that wouldn't have worked anywhere near as well with what she thought of as a witty joke, likely after seeing recent reports of West Nile virus again being found in mosquitos in Greece...seeing as the Nile in is Africa?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join