It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Star of Romney 'My Hands Didn't Build This' Ad Received Millions in Government Loans and Contract

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Star of Romney 'My Hands Didn't Build This' Ad Received Millions in Government Loans and Contracts

abc news.go.com

The Romney campaign, has suggested that the president was telling business owners that they didn’t create their own business, taking the “If you’ve got a business – you didn’t build that” remark out of context.

In a campaign ad, the Romney campaign spliced out the “roads and bridges” the president seemed to be referring to as “that” when he said “you didn’t build that.”

In a new TV ad, Romney features an offended New Hampshire businessman, saying, “My father’s hands didn’t build this company? The businessman, Jack Gilchrist, also acknowledged that in the 1
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   

The New Hampshire Union Leader’s John DiStato today reports that in 1999 the business in question, Gilchrist Metal, “received $800,000 in tax-exempt revenue bonds issued by the New Hampshire Business Finance Authority ‘to set up a second manufacturing plant and purchase equipment to produce high definition television broadcasting equipment

In addition, in 2011, Gilchrist Metal “received two U.S. Navy sub-contracts totaling about $83,000 and a smaller, $5,600 Coast Guard contract in 2008…”

The businessman, Jack Gilchrist, also acknowledged that in the 1980s the company received a U.S. Small Business Administration loan totaling “somewhere south of” $500,000, and matching funds from the federally-funded New England Trade Adjustment Assistance Center.

So ^ these guys in this commercial didn't build their company on their own. They did it with the help of the government!

It would be like me saying I put myself through college, when the government gave me loans for some of it. Sure I did the work to pass the classes, but they still helped me.

These people are complete hypocrites and liars. Fail for Romney camp...

abc news.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 24-7-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
The Ole Mitt Dipsticks will love this ad.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Romney has to take Obama out of context to get a decent ad. Still... Many people already know what Obama actually said and are laughing at Romney over this.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

The scary thing is that the person in that video, and others that claim they have done everything on their own, just don't comprehend how a government loan is being "helped out".

I actually think it is a mental illness or a case of extreme arrogance...this guy knowingly made this ad, and knowingly had recieved loans and contracts from the government...either flat out liar or a complete arrogant hypocrite.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
If Romney had not been born to George Romney, he'd likely be an insurance salesmen living much like the rest of us. That he ignores his silver spoon origins when he talks about making it on his own in business shows how out of touch with the reality of most Americans he is.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
First of all, I don't support Mitt Romney. I don't like any politician to be honest.

The businessman, Jack Gilchrist, also acknowledged that in the 1980s the company received a U.S. Small Business Administration loan totaling “somewhere south of” $500,000, and matching funds from the federally-funded New England Trade Adjustment Assistance Center.

Second, the SBA does not give loans, they gaurantee 85% of a bank loan if the borrower defaults. Big difference.

Third.

I’m not going to turn a blind eye because the money came from the government,” Gilchrest said. “As far as I’m concerned, I’m getting some of my tax money back. I’m not stupid, I’m not going to say ‘no.’ Shame on me if I didn’t use what’s available.”

He's right, he's getting SOME of his money back he paid in taxes. If a business moves from one state to another and receives an incentive payment for moving the company to that state, thats not a federal grant.

His company bid on contracts to build equipment for the military, thats not a granst or loan either, thats a contract. ...I set up a 2 Tents for the Naval Air Station's farmers market. We bid on that contract, It's not government funds. Big difference.

Thats business. That article is crap and even outlines what little he knows about business. Its propaganda.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by becomingaware

Second, the SBA does not give loans, they gaurantee 85% of a bank loan if the borrower defaults. Big difference.

This is just like federal student loans before 2010. He never would have gotten the loan without the government. He also benefits from a lower interest rate. The government co-signing you is GETTING HELP FROM THE GOVERNMENT. That is the whole point.

He's right, he's getting SOME of his money back he paid in taxes..

In 1999, Gilchrist Metal received $800,000 in tax-exempt revenue bonds issued by the New Hampshire Business Finance Authority “to set up a second manufacturing plant and purchase equipment to produce high definition television broadcasting equipment,” according to a New Hampshire Union Leader report at the time.

The federal government allocates to each state a certain amount of tax-exempt bonding capacity each year for business and housing loans.

Those taxes?

More help from the government....

Gilchrist said about 10 percent of his company's contracts are defense-related.

No wonder why he wants to elect the GOP. Romney already said he would take action on Iran. Gilchrist is a hypocrite, lying... shill.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Romney has to take Obama out of context to get a decent ad. Still... Many people already know what Obama actually said and are laughing at Romney over this.

Yeah - its not secret I lean right on several things. But, this is an attempt to make a mountain out of a mole hill by the Romney camp.

Obama likely could have worded it better, but his meaning was pretty clear I thought. I went to the store today all by myself - but I drove on a road the government put down sometime ago with funds from our tax dollars. I just took it as he was saying, "The government provides some stuff that everyone uses and needs and life would be way harder for everyone without some of that stuff." - and that's pretty true.

We can debate all day long how much "stuff" the government should provide - but at the end of the day providing stuff like roads, etc is part of its function..

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

Yeah - its not secret I lean right on several things. But, this is an attempt to make a mountain out of a mole hill by the Romney camp.

I dont think it is

I think it illustrates perfectly Obamas stance and direction......

Obama wants to make this country totally dependent on the gov, and he wants to convince the American people to that they are......

He wants to take peoples personal achievements , and make them about himself and his administration, and the rest of the government......

The guy is a megalomaniac and narcissist.......I think his "instead of buying gifts for a wedding, donate to my campaign" thing kinda showed that

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Everything the "government" does is funded by "We The People". Obama was essentially saying nothing at all. So funny that people can still claim the "government" does stuff. We are supposed to be the government anyway!

As far as there being a lot of "hard-working/smart people out there". Bald faced lie. Okay maybe there are a large (but still) MINORITY of hard-working people. There is a much smaller MINORITY of smart people. But if you wanna talk about people that are hard-working AND smart? Thats gotta be less than 10% of the population. I bet upwards of 95% of these smart AND hard-working people actually ARE successful. If you are smart you will make good decisions and you will become successful. Working hard is part of those smart decisions.

Trust me, even RIGHT NOW in this horrible economy there are PLENTY of jobs out there that pay 12-18$ p/h STARTING OFF with no experience. Its called construction, and its everywhere. The problem is that it is HARD work, and often requires relocation. So I have no pity for these unemployed MEN. They either aren't smart enough to research these jobs, or are too damn lazy to work them. And thats the bottom line.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

The scary thing is that the person in that video, and others that claim they have done everything on their own, just don't comprehend how a government loan is being "helped out".

And he said just that

"I'm not stupid, I'm not going to say 'no.' Shame on me if I didn't use what's available,” he said. “As a matter of fact, right now, I'm driving on a road.

“So, no,” said Gilchrist, “I don't feel as though I've compromised anything or misled anybody.”

The Romney campaign also stands by the ad."

www.unionleader.com...

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Romney is desperate and will do anything to counter the Obama ads. Romney profiting by raiding companies as part of Bain does not make him the man with a solution. It makes him one of the men that caused the problem...along with all of Wall Street that clamors for more, more, more without considering the loss of jobs, technical expertise, and manufacturing infrastructure. I think the Dems have an "October surprise" in the wings to finish him off right before the election.
I am amused by Mitt's move that when he is speaking to workers, he takes off his tie and jacket and rolls up his sleeves to say he is one of them. This golden boy is so out of touch with the common man that he doesn't even realize that his act is transparent. No one in those factories can possibly believe that 'Outsourcer Mitt' would be good for them.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by theroguelion Trust me, even RIGHT NOW in this horrible economy there are PLENTY of jobs out there that pay 12-18$ p/h STARTING OFF with no experience. Its called construction, and its everywhere. The problem is that it is HARD work, and often requires relocation. So I have no pity for these unemployed MEN. They either aren't smart enough to research these jobs, or are too damn lazy to work them. And thats the bottom line.

In SW PA, northern WV, and eastern Ohio there are many jobs in the gas drilling/pipeline industry. Skilled labor, such as welders and fitters, can work 12 hour days including weekends, if they want. Unskilled labor [drivers,handlers,gofers] can do the same but the trouble is that it is hard work and hard work interferes with their lifestyle of working long enough to qualify for unemployment and then getting themselves unemployed. Another major problem is drug testing. One can't have some idiot doper driving multi-million dollar rigs or fiddling with high pressure gas valves, so the companies drug test. For many workers, payday means beer at the topless bar but for some it means fun with drugs. Then the dope dopes get tested and fired and we look for more.

In Washington and Greene counties in PA and in WV, the best workers are Okies and Texans from the oil patch. These guys know their stuff, work hard and are used to hard work, and generally recreate with beer. The dopers among them never migrate north, so there are fewer drug problems with them.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   

So just because someone loans you money, it means you didn't accomplish whatever the goal was? The government put you through college, even though you will have to pay back every cent plus interest?

I guess you didn't wipe your own butt, because someone else made the toilet paper? I am sorry but this just doesn't make sense. This is just as bad as what Romney is doing dude.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by pteridine

Originally posted by theroguelion Trust me, even RIGHT NOW in this horrible economy there are PLENTY of jobs out there that pay 12-18$ p/h STARTING OFF with no experience. Its called construction, and its everywhere. The problem is that it is HARD work, and often requires relocation. So I have no pity for these unemployed MEN. They either aren't smart enough to research these jobs, or are too damn lazy to work them. And thats the bottom line.

In SW PA, northern WV, and eastern Ohio there are many jobs in the gas drilling/pipeline industry. Skilled labor, such as welders and fitters, can work 12 hour days including weekends, if they want. Unskilled labor [drivers,handlers,gofers] can do the same but the trouble is that it is hard work and hard work interferes with their lifestyle of working long enough to qualify for unemployment and then getting themselves unemployed. Another major problem is drug testing. One can't have some idiot doper driving multi-million dollar rigs or fiddling with high pressure gas valves, so the companies drug test. For many workers, payday means beer at the topless bar but for some it means fun with drugs. Then the dope dopes get tested and fired and we look for more.

In Washington and Greene counties in PA and in WV, the best workers are Okies and Texans from the oil patch. These guys know their stuff, work hard and are used to hard work, and generally recreate with beer. The dopers among them never migrate north, so there are fewer drug problems with them.

Everything you said is Very true. You obviously know what you are speaking of. I've worked construction (electrician) myself, in MS, TX, LA, and TN. All southern non-union states. I've heard stories of how lazy/dumb (when it comes to knowing the job) most the people that work construction for the union are. I've had friends that go north to work because the employers have to match the (much higher) union wages. I think it must have to do with the culture of the union. The workers just aren't as productive, but get paid more and receive more benefits.

As a MS resident WITHOUT a high school diploma, my father made 5 times the average wage in MS last year. Imagine that.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

I don't care but FYI:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by sputniksteve

So just because someone loans you money, it means you didn't accomplish whatever the goal was?

Did I say that?

The whole point is the context of the speech that Romney based the commercial off of. Obama was saying that we get help from someone at some point in our life. This commercial is to refute that point...which it is complete lies. The guy got help from the government and calls it "luck" in the ad.

The government helped me monetarily, it allowed me to start college by guaranteeing a loan. To pretend that it didn't is disingenuous.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Kyle: It's not cheating if you spread peanut butter on your balls and let your dog lick it off.
[Josh, Rubin and E.L. are understandably repulsed]
Kyle: Because it's your dog.
Rubin: Jesus Christ!
Kyle: You know, because it's YOUR dog, get it?
Rubin: Yeah, we've got it.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
reply to post by sputniksteve

So just because someone loans you money, it means you didn't accomplish whatever the goal was?

Did I say that?

The whole point is the context of the speech that Romney based the commercial off of. Obama was saying that we get help from someone at some point in our life. This commercial is to refute that point...which it is complete lies. The guy got help from the government and calls it "luck" in the ad.

The government helped me monetarily, it allowed me to start college by guaranteeing a loan. To pretend that it didn't is disingenuous.

Dude, you owe those grades to the government, didn't you get the memo? Since you got some help, you should have no problem redistributing some of those grades to students that did not study as hard.

(sarcasm)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join