It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Star of Romney 'My Hands Didn't Build This' Ad Received Millions in Government Loans and Contract

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

HA .. that's funny! Interesting find.

Without the loans, the company couldn't be built. BUT ...
Without that fella heading it, the company couldn't be built either.

Romney is extreme in one direction - insinuating it's all the business leader doing.
Obama is extreme in another direction - insinuating that the business leader is nearly irrelevant.

The company isn't totally built without funding from outside.
BUT ... the company isn't totally built by the wits of the founder either.
In this case, both had to work side by side.
Romney couldn't have chosen a worse 'example' for his position.

Point in this match goes to ... no one.
Romneys commercial fails. But Obamas position fails as well.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by pteridine
Romney is desperate .....

If Romney is desperate that means that he thinks he still has a chance to win.
I don't see him being able to win at all. He MUST see that. It's staring him in the face.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke

The New Hampshire Union Leader’s John DiStato today reports that in 1999 the business in question, Gilchrist Metal, “received $800,000 in tax-exempt revenue bonds issued by the New Hampshire Business Finance Authority ‘to set up a second manufacturing plant and purchase equipment to produce high definition television broadcasting equipment

In addition, in 2011, Gilchrist Metal “received two U.S. Navy sub-contracts totaling about $83,000 and a smaller, $5,600 Coast Guard contract in 2008…”

The businessman, Jack Gilchrist, also acknowledged that in the 1980s the company received a U.S. Small Business Administration loan totaling “somewhere south of” $500,000, and matching funds from the federally-funded New England Trade Adjustment Assistance Center.

So ^ these guys in this commercial didn't build their company on their own. They did it with the help of the government!

It would be like me saying I put myself through college, when the government gave me loans for some of it. Sure I did the work to pass the classes, but they still helped me.

These people are complete hypocrites and liars. Fail for Romney camp...

abc news.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 24-7-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

So, in your eyes, the guy borrowed money from SBA, and, has a few Government Contracts. And your point is?

This man had to build his company to a point where he was ELIGIBLE for an SBA Loan...didnt he?

And even with the SBA loan, he would have had to collateralize either his company or his personal assets, OR BOTH.

ITS CALLED RISK!

Thats what ALL entrepreneurs do, thats what we all have in common -- taking risks.

So regardless of how you want to word it, he had to have built the company from bottom up, to get him to a point where he was awarded the loans....AND, he would have had to build an infrastructure of the company, take risks along the way, employee people, and basically meet a payroll.

And, not only are SBA loans borrowing money -0- meaning it needs to be paid back, or risk losing the company, it is 9 times out of 10 backed by MATCHING FUNDS either by a loan from the bank or personal assets being used.

SO the SBA Loan is NOT FREE< and it is no way a means to take anything from anybody.

Having said all of this, what exactly is your point? There are VERY FEW companies that are built without funds. You can't run a business without cash. Period.

And, if he DIDNT borrow the money, that means he worked his &SS off to get to where he was to be in a position to borrow and grow the company even further than he did originally.

Obviously, you don't know what it takes to start a business, let alone how to run one. Sorry.

So how is he a shill and a liar again?

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
It's never just as simple as creating a business on your very own without government help.

For an entrepreneurs to be able to flourish they need the stability that a nation state provides. If your nation is secure and well defended, with laws against corruption and other crimes. If your nation has a well educated populace and a free society, then it is a lot easier to start ones own business and be successful. All these freedoms and this security come at a financial cost.

If you do away with your nation state or government, you can no longer guarentee those benefits, freedoms and securities

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by phantomjack

Already addressed everything you said, read the thread.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by phantomjack

Originally posted by RealSpoke

The New Hampshire Union Leader’s John DiStato today reports that in 1999 the business in question, Gilchrist Metal, “received $800,000 in tax-exempt revenue bonds issued by the New Hampshire Business Finance Authority ‘to set up a second manufacturing plant and purchase equipment to produce high definition television broadcasting equipment

In addition, in 2011, Gilchrist Metal “received two U.S. Navy sub-contracts totaling about $83,000 and a smaller, $5,600 Coast Guard contract in 2008…”

The businessman, Jack Gilchrist, also acknowledged that in the 1980s the company received a U.S. Small Business Administration loan totaling “somewhere south of” $500,000, and matching funds from the federally-funded New England Trade Adjustment Assistance Center.

So ^ these guys in this commercial didn't build their company on their own. They did it with the help of the government!

It would be like me saying I put myself through college, when the government gave me loans for some of it. Sure I did the work to pass the classes, but they still helped me.

These people are complete hypocrites and liars. Fail for Romney camp...

abc news.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 24-7-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

So, in your eyes, the guy borrowed money from SBA, and, has a few Government Contracts. And your point is?

This man had to build his company to a point where he was ELIGIBLE for an SBA Loan...didnt he?

And even with the SBA loan, he would have had to collateralize either his company or his personal assets, OR BOTH.

ITS CALLED RISK!

Thats what ALL entrepreneurs do, thats what we all have in common -- taking risks.

So regardless of how you want to word it, he had to have built the company from bottom up, to get him to a point where he was awarded the loans....AND, he would have had to build an infrastructure of the company, take risks along the way, employee people, and basically meet a payroll.

And, not only are SBA loans borrowing money -0- meaning it needs to be paid back, or risk losing the company, it is 9 times out of 10 backed by MATCHING FUNDS either by a loan from the bank or personal assets being used.

SO the SBA Loan is NOT FREE< and it is no way a means to take anything from anybody.

Having said all of this, what exactly is your point? There are VERY FEW companies that are built without funds. You can't run a business without cash. Period.

And, if he DIDNT borrow the money, that means he worked his &SS off to get to where he was to be in a position to borrow and grow the company even further than he did originally.

Obviously, you don't know what it takes to start a business, let alone how to run one. Sorry.

So how is he a shill and a liar again?

Great points!!

It's so sad to see sheep running behind Obama's nonsense. The Government had nothing to do with the guys business.

He and his family built his business. This is like saying when you get a bank loan, the bank helped build the business. It's progressive collectivism and collectivism never works because there's always a few in the collective that wants to tell the collective how to live. This is why the founders of this Country rejected this and left it up to an individuals own conscience as they pursue happiness.

When I was investing in real estate and flipping houses, I got loans from mortgage companies, the mortgage company didn't help build my business, I did that.

Obama is essentially saying because you eat a hamburger and the government inspects hamburger meat, therefore the government helped you build your business because you couldn't survive without good hamburger meet.

It's truly a progressive, collective rant that goes against everything we stand for as a Country. This is why Obama said in 2001 that the Constitution was fundamentally flawed because it restrains government and it doesn't talk about the redistribution of wealth.

The Founders were about the individual because they knew the Collective = Tyranny. Because there will always be a small few in the collective that want to tell what car to drive or don't drink big gulp pops. This is why Obama said he wants to bring Collective Salvation to the Country.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
It's like saying because the Government gives out Marriage Licenses, the Government is responsible for a happy marriage.

It's truly goes against everything the Country stands for.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

I completely fail ro see how a "tax exemption" (money that has been earned by a business) is help from the federal government. Its already our money then the government wants their share. Just because they give us some of our money back doesn't mean they helped us. Do you know how hard it even is to qualify for those exemptions?

Its already our money. We earned it. That's like getting store credit when returning a product instead of a refund. Even then your not any better off then when you started.

If anything We help the government.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
SBA Loans are for businesses doing badly.

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

ARC Loans are provided by participating commercial lenders and guaranteed by the SBA. Your next step is to contact your lender to determine whether or not they are participating. If they are, they may ask questions such as:
Has your small business been in operation for a minimum of two years?

Do you have financial statements (balance sheet, income statement, and cash flow statement) that indicate your business was in a positive cash flow position in one of the past two years (or as long as your business has been operating, if less than two years)?

Do your cash flow projections for the next two years indicate sufficient funds to meet both current and future loan obligations

Is your business suffering an immediate financial hardship? (Declining sales and revenues; Difficulty in making loan payments on existing debt; Difficulty in paying employees; Difficulty in purchasing materials, supplies, or inventory; and/or Difficulty in paying rent and/or other operating expenses).

So yeah, this guy needed help, and the government helped him with an INTEREST FREE loan.

One has to wonder if Mitt Romney has spoken out against the Recovery Act, while making an ad starring a guy who benefited from it....
edit on 24-7-2012 by longlostbrother because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Only when we stop electing Democrats and Republicans will we have an HONEST government. You cannot keep electing criminals and expect honesty.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by sputniksteve

So just because someone loans you money, it means you didn't accomplish whatever the goal was? The government put you through college, even though you will have to pay back every cent plus interest?

I guess you didn't wipe your own butt, because someone else made the toilet paper? I am sorry but this just doesn't make sense. This is just as bad as what Romney is doing dude.

To truly be able to say I did it on my own means you had to receive no kind of help from anyone. Including loans because that isn't your money it's somebody else's money.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

you also have to be able to do it without
the benefit of your countries infrastructure and laws
any ideas conceived by any other person in history
and arguably any labor or goods you did not exchange just as much for (so basically no profit.... only trading for things of equivalent value)

if your success relied on any of these things
then no you did not do it all yourself you benefited from your government and or fellow man
edit on 24-7-2012 by sirhumperdink because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

I am not looking to play a game of semantics, but you do know the definition of a loan right? It is money that has to be paid back, usually with interest. That is much different from a Grant.

Personally I call getting a loan, using that beginning capital to build a business, turning a profit in order to pay back the loan with interest as "doing it on your own" but that's just me. I am not trying to compare this example to what anyone else did but just saying.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by sputniksteve

His business was poised to fail, he asked the government for help, they took money out of the Obama stimulus act, decried by many on the right, and gave him an. INTEREST FREE loan.

Then he starred in an ad and said no one ever helped me.

It's patently false and obviously done only to promote his political beliefs.

It's also another example of poor Romney leadership. He doesn't have to vet everyone, but the people he has hired to vet people are obviously not doing a great job.

But it another way, if the tables we're reversed, Rush Limbaugh and Fox News would be pushing it like mad.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   
well our family business was built by us. My father worked many jobs for many years until he could save enough money to open up shop. I find this add a little insulting. So who helped my dad when he had to miss every graduation, event in my life, birthdays ect....the government.....?

#snip# them so much.

edit on 25-7-2012 by BIHOTZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by BIHOTZ

Your father had no teachers?
Your father had no access to an electrical grid? Or public sewers?
Your father never benifited from any of the dozens of tax breaks, etc., that the US government offers?

I find it absurd that you are willing to dismiss all the tax money your father DID obviously benefit from.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by BIHOTZ

I think it's great that in our society one can do these things and start their own business's and it's people like your father who help a nation prosper. I dont think anyone is denying this fact. It is just that, it can only be possible to start these business's in a free and open society. yet one which is defended and has an infrastructure. A nation state or government.

Just think about the generation before your fathers that laid their lives down in ww2 to ensure the survival of America. That same generation paid high taxes to pay off the war debt, all so your father could live in a free society where he could set up his business. Does that make any sense?

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by becomingaware

kind of like when someone runs into hard times and finds themselves laid off and ends up on the unemployment line, they are just getting some of the money back that they've paid in taxes...
or when someone gets sick or hurt and needs a little help, they are just getting some of the money back that they've paid in taxes!!!!

ya, I know....
that's different...'
how, I am not really sure...
but it's different!!!

or it's hypocrisy on the part of some people!!!!

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by longlostbrother

Sorry we have been taxed more than we recieved. The IRS has extorted us since the 90's with no end.

As far as electricity and roads. If they didnt have them we wouldnt have moved here because that is essential to any modern society from which we may come from. Secondly they are PUBLIC meanibg that we do own them and can take credit to their construction since our collective resources were used. No one just donated them. We were taxed and produced for them.

That is like saying the government raised me because i went to school and ate within their borders.

It is absurd for anyone to try and appropiate the credit to americas luck to anyone without
the average american who has been building for decades.

We dont appoint that sort of merit like a nobel peace prize.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Yes it does make sense. Alot actualy. I just think we lose sight of who is to thank for our luck. Not coorporate america but the many little guys. We treat our people like criminals lately, favor scum bags that hurt our people for money, and then to top it off they make you say thank you for the electricity.....

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join