It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Star of Romney 'My Hands Didn't Build This' Ad Received Millions in Government Loans and Contract

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by longlostbrother

The difference is that one says we need other people to succeed and the other says we need government to succeed. One is the right message, one is wrong. Plenty of people have twisted what Obama said, there is no need though as his message is completely wrong without twisting it.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by OccamsRazor04

The difference is that one says we need other people to succeed and the other says we need government to succeed. One is the right message, one is wrong. Plenty of people have twisted what Obama said, there is no need though as his message is completely wrong without twisting it.

So when he specifically:

"Perhaps the bank... The people who provide roads, the fire, the police."

or, "communities built venues"

The "bank" in this guys case was the Fed, and the infrastructure guys and fire and police in many places in America are the gov.

Cute try, but way off.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by longlostbrother

So when he specifically:

The "bank" in this guys case was the Fed, and the infrastructure guys and fire and police in many places in America are the gov.

Cute try, but way off.

I'll be happy to play along.

“I’m always struck by people who think ‘well, it must be because I was just so smart’. There are a lot of smart people out there! ‘It must be because I worked harder than everybody else.’ Let me tell you something—there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there!”

If you are successful don't for a second think it's because you are smart or worked hard.

The Internet didn't get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet

Government is our savior, I agree let's bow down.

ETA: There is a message in there Obama could have gone with, the same message Romney used at the Olympics. Obama went another route, he actually discredited success. He wants people to depend on government. It's a bad message. I think his words have been twisted, but theres no need to twist them they are dangerous as they are.
edit on 30-7-2012 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 04:22 AM
link   

So when he specifically:

Cute try, but way off.

I'll be happy to play along.

“I’m always struck by people who think ‘well, it must be because I was just so smart’. There are a lot of smart people out there! ‘It must be because I worked harder than everybody else.’ Let me tell you something—there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there!”

If you are successful don't for a second think it's because you are smart or worked hard.

The Internet didn't get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet

Government is our savior, I agree let's bow down.

Of course Obama never said, "don't for a second think it's because you are smart or worked hard" - Reductio ad absurdum. Instead he said, ""don't for a second think it's ONLY because you are smart or worked hard".

Indeed, Obama specifically said, "The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together."

So yeah, nice try again, but obviously wrong.

Even Fox knows: www.foxnews.com...

Obama also NEVER said government is your savior, bow down. That's just a lunatic's reading of that. Or a political propagandist's.
edit on 30-7-2012 by longlostbrother because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Of course Obama never said, "don't for a second think it's because you are smart or worked hard" - Reductio ad absurdum. Instead he said, ""don't for a second think it's ONLY because you are smart or worked hard".

Obama also NEVER said government is your savior, bow down. That's just a lunatic's reading of that. Or a political propagandist's.

Show me where he said ONLY? Reality check. Regardless of whether people get help many succeed because yes they ARE that smart and yes they DID work that hard.

Of course Obama never said, "don't for a second think it's because you are smart or worked hard"

Anyone who thinks that merits an of course is beyond help

If you want to hear the message Obama should have used listen to Romney. He got it right. He acknowledged all the help we get without denigrating peoples personal contributions.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Show me where he said ONLY? Reality check. Regardless of whether people get help many succeed because yes they ARE that smart and yes they DID work that hard.

Of course Obama never said, "don't for a second think it's because you are smart or worked hard"

Anyone who thinks that merits an of course is beyond help

If you want to hear the message Obama should have used listen to Romney. He got it right. He acknowledged all the help we get without denigrating peoples personal contributions.

I already showed you:

"The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together."

Again, he said: we succeed because of our individual initiative

Obama only denigrated your personal contribution if you don't understand English.

Here's the whole thing:

Obama, July 13: There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me — because they want to give something back. They know they didn’t — look, if you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something — there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there. (Applause.) If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet. The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together. There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don’t do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires. So we say to ourselves, ever since the founding of this country, you know what, there are some things we do better together. That’s how we funded the GI Bill. That’s how we created the middle class. That’s how we built the Golden Gate Bridge or the Hoover Dam. That’s how we invented the Internet. That’s how we sent a man to the moon. We rise or fall together as one nation and as one people, and that’s the reason I’m running for President — because I still believe in that idea. You’re not on your own, we’re in this together.

Now only a political propagandist, or someone with a very fragile ego, sees this as denigrating anyone.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   

I read the whole thing, his message is clear. Like I already said, there is a message he could have gone with. The message Romney went with. Instead he chose to denigrate personal contributions. You can throw all the fluff you want, the whole we succeed when we work together does not contradict the whole it isn't because you are smart or worked hard. The two are seperate issues.

One person can think you are helped by those in your life and then you are smart, apply yourself, work hard, and succeed.

Obama said it is not because you were smart, it was not because you applied yourself, it was not due to hard work. He flat out said it. Then he said we do better when we work together. The truth he ended with does not "correct" the earlier error as he can think BOTH of them. They are not mutually exclusive.

I believe that being smart and hard work is helped along by those around us. Intelligence and hard work is STILL why I succeed, without it I would fail. There are other reasons as well, it doesn't make that fact untrue. Unless you are Obama.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   
We need gov't just like employees need successful businessmen.....
or don't need...whichever.

but, the businessman and the gov't play just about the same role, only smaller organizations.
some chose to say that the gov't is just a middleman, but can't that also be said of the business owner? they are just organizing and managing people, skimming off the profits that are produced from our labor, many times the money that they used to provide the building and the equipment was given to them by another person in the form of a loan. especially for the more successful businessmen who are smart enough to take out the loan and use their money on hand invested in things that are returning more through interest than the interest they are being charged on the loan.
so, well, if we don't need the gov't, then I guess we don't need the business owner either. we can each just buy our own equipment, come up with our own product and service to provide for our own little community.....don't need stores and merchants either really, they are just middlemen also, we can sell direct to our customers. right???

no??
the fact is if it wasn't for the fed. gov't, each community would have just worried about their own road system, and well the only paved roads would be those through the downtown area and to the more important locations like hospitals or the main employers of the area. but when it came to road systems that connected the cities, well a little cooperation and planning was needed.

and as far as them not having gov'ts way back when??? yep, I am sure all those ancient egyptians all spontaneously thought that they should go out and build these huge monumental tombs to honor that strange man over on the other side of the kingdom who claimed his was god....yep, that makes perfect sense!!
I am sure that all those scientists would have all spontaneously thought, hey, lets make a rocket and send a few people to the moon, then got themselves together, all pitched in and built the rocket along with the computers systems that were needed and made it so!!

we need the managers, but we also need the producers...one is not that effective without the other......and due respect should be paid to all!!!

edit on 30-7-2012 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 05:19 AM
link   

I read the whole thing, his message is clear. Like I already said, there is a message he could have gone with. The message Romney went with. Instead he chose to denigrate personal contributions. You can throw all the fluff you want, the whole we succeed when we work together does not contradict the whole it isn't because you are smart or worked hard. The two are seperate issues.

One person can think you are helped by those in your life and then you are smart, apply yourself, work hard, and succeed.

Obama said it is not because you were smart, it was not because you applied yourself, it was not due to hard work. He flat out said it. Then he said we do better when we work together. The truth he ended with does not "correct" the earlier error as he can think BOTH of them. They are not mutually exclusive.

I believe that being smart and hard work is helped along by those around us. Intelligence and hard work is STILL why I succeed, without it I would fail. There are other reasons as well, it doesn't make that fact untrue. Unless you are Obama.

You are absolutely lying when you say he is denigrating anyone.

Either that or you just don't understand what he's saying.

Maybe you're just confused.

Obama NEVER said you would succeed ONLY because of the government. He said you succeed because of personal initiative AND because of help.

BOTH.

I honestly think you're trolling at this point.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join