It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muppets bash Chick-fil-A over owners faith

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Yes, you read that right. Seems as though this "politically correct" stuff has now hit the Muppets now, all because the owners are Christians and although they hire gays, they just believe in a Man/Woman marriage, as many thousands of people do. But I see that Jim Henson does not approve of their beliefs.

The Jim Henson Co., owner of the widely promoted Muppets characters, says it won’t be working with Chick-fil-A any more based on the statement of Christian faith from the restaurant chief that he does not endorse homosexual marriage.

“The Jim Henson Company has celebrated and embraced diversity and inclusiveness for over 50 years and we have notified Chick-Fil-A (sic) that we do not wish to partner with them on any future endeavors,” said a Facebook statement from the company. “Lisa Henson, our CEO, is personally a strong supporter of gay marriage and has directed us to donate the payment we received from Chick-Fil-A (sic) to GLAAD [ a homosexual promotion organization].”

“I love the double standard that Jim Henson’s company is expressing by not … accepting Christians’ belief in the biblical definition of marriage,” wrote Valorie Phillips.

Added Michele Sparacino, “Lisa Henson you support gay marriage, however Chick-fil-A did not ban giving your toys out. So why would you ban Chick-fil-A. I know for a fact they hire gay people. They just do not believe in same sex marriage… Is that not there (sic) freedom of speech.”

The dispute developed after Dan Cathy, the chief of Chick-fil-A, which was begun by his father, Truett Cathy and now is a $4 billion-plus a year business, recently gave an interview to The Baptist Press and said, “We are very much supportive of the family – the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that.

“You have to look at the history of the homosexual movement,” he said. “It’s all about intimidating. The reason they fear Chick-fil-A is it’s a popular, respected, growing operation.” “That Cathy actually has the temerity to hold his own beliefs as a Christian [they believe] he has committed some sort of crime,” he said.

www.wnd.com...

Another Hollywood Do-gooder that acts like they are better and then threaten to boycott over ones beliefs, beliefs that has been around since the beginning of the Chic-fil-A business. All over Gay marriage?? I guess I just don't understand why they can't accept that people think and feel differently and are tired of having issues crammed down their throat.

It's not like Chic-fil-A just got religion..... they've always been that way. So to me, Jim Henson & Co. are just acting like little spoiled brats.

There are a lot more important things in this country to worry about than gay marriage [no disrespect intended].
It's just that the economy, high unemployment, elections coming up, turmoil in the M.E., etc. is a tad bit more serious than Mr. Muppet Man's dilemma.

Go Chick-fil-A.... don't be intimidated by the Hollywood snobs.

I think I know where I'll be eating lunch tomorrow!!

+6 more 
posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Chick-fil-a is a privately owned company and can do what it wants. The muppets are privately owned and can do what they want too. It's a win/win scenario.

But...their boycotting will do no good because Chick-fil-a is the best in the business IMO.

I do admire them for standing up for what they believe in as they aren't hurting anyone. They have the right to say what they feel regardless if anyone thinks it's right or wrong. I am glad we all have that right even though some folks don't agree with me.
They should boycott on Sundays though.

edit on 7/24/2012 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I'm with the Hensen company on this. Why should they give money to people that admit to donating their money to fight gay marriage, when they support it?

+26 more 
posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
"But I see that Jim Henson does not approve of their beliefs".

Not sure how you can tell what Jim Henson approves of at this point as he is long dead.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   
We are to presume that the he is a medium? I always though Jim Hensen was like cheech and Chong

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Yeah, last year we had a hankering for one of their sandwiches, not realizing it was Sunday, saw cars parked around there, not thinking about it, and got out and yanked on the door only to find it locked. It took us a minute before we remembered it was Sunday [we travel for a living so our days get blurred together].

Any way, needless to say, my hubby was um, fuming .....

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe
Chick-fil-a is the best in the business IMO.

Are you kidding me? It's In-N-Out!

But yeah, I would still DIE for a Chick-fil-a here in the peoples republic of PDX....

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by snarky412

Yeah, last year we had a hankering for one of their sandwiches, not realizing it was Sunday, saw cars parked around there, not thinking about it, and got out and yanked on the door only to find it locked. It took us a minute before we remembered it was Sunday [we travel for a living so our days get blurred together].

He has my sympathies as we have done that on more than one occasion. I found this meme a while back, so we are not alone.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by KaiserSoze
"But I see that Jim Henson does not approve of their beliefs".

Not sure how you can tell what Jim Henson approves of at this point as he is long dead.

It's supposed to be Jim Henson Co., which Lisa Henson runs.
If I left off the company part, I apologize.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by snarky412

He has my sympathies as we have done that on more than one occasion. I found this meme a while back, so we are not alone.

Thanks for that, I'll have to show this to him.....

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Murgatroid

Chick-fil-a is the best in the business IMO.

Are you kidding me? It's In-N-Out!

But yeah, I would still DIE for a Chick-fil-a here in the peoples republic of PDX....

We don't have one of those here, so I don't get to test the theory.
I know lots of folks love In-N-Out though!

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

Not sure about the Muppet thing, so I won't comment on that. It seems like the Muppets are stepping our their boundaries. I mean, why is a cartoon crew advocating political issues of any kind in the first place?

I'm ignostic (with an i), but I still eat at Chick Fil A. I find their employees to be very polite, and I enjoy eating there when I do. They might play some religious music sometimes, here and there, but it's not loud and not like it's something you have to listen to. You can eat in your car or go through the drive through if you don't like it. It's not like they're got crosses all over the walls inside. (That would be too much for me.)

Anyway, the bigger issue I have with Chick Fil A is how they pride themselves on saving cows. Well, hello, did you think of all the chickens you kill to serve your customers? Are cows worth more than chickens? Not at all. It's just strange to me that they would put the cow on a pedestal while they are responsible for the deaths of so many chickens. It's just strange. This isn't India we're talking about.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   

We don't have one of those here, so I don't get to test the theory.
I know lots of folks love In-N-Out though!

I know, I was just being a big meanie!

(sorry couldn't resist)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
Believing anything based on biblical text is basicly admitting your an idiot.

I can only hope all the religious morons find a way to clump together so they can all drown in their own vomit.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by dorkfish87
I'm with the Hensen company on this. Why should they give money to people that admit to donating their money to fight gay marriage, when they support it?

The real kicker here is the Hensen's have stopped receiving the money from Chik-fil-a... So it goes beyond not paying them, it is not taking their money because you don't agree with them. To me that is a much bigger statement for a business to make.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by daynight42

Anyway, the bigger issue I have with Chick Fil A is how they pride themselves on saving cows. Well, hello, did you think of all the chickens you kill to serve your customers? Are cows worth more than chickens? Not at all. It's just strange to me that they would put the cow on a pedestal while they are responsible for the deaths of so many chickens. It's just strange. This isn't India we're talking about.

I don't think it's as serious as it seems, more of a PR ploy to push more chicken:

So it will march on with chicken sandwiches, cow commercials and football. Last year, the company spent $30.8 million in measured media, according to Kantar Media, sending its crowd-pleasing cows on a nationwide, hide-saving mission to get people to eat more chicken. Chick-fil-A's advertising is handled by Dallas-based Richards Group.

So, to me, it seems as though they're using the excuse to "save" cows in order to get people to eat more chicken. Just doing what it takes to sell a product I guess. Cute cow on the roof, tho.

Here's another excerpt talking about not opening on Sundays:

Fast-growing chicken chain Chick-fil-A has long been known for sticking to its conservative roots. In a 2010 interview with Ad Age, an exec said the restaurant would sell hamburgers before it would consider opening on a Sunday

adage.com...

Personally, I don't think this will affect their business in any way. People usually go where their stomachs lead them.... to the dinner table.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   

I took a quick scan on this and you know what REALLY pisses me off about this ...

~the OWNERS are abiding within the law,
~they're NOT condoning ANYTHING
~and they're NOT discriminating on Race, color, sex, age, religion etc... as they are SUPPOSE to..

and yes.. we could say the same thing about Muppet INC to ... RIGHT?~! where's it going to end....

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Not sure about the Muppet thing, so I won't comment on that. It seems like the Muppets are stepping our their boundaries. I mean, why is a cartoon crew advocating political issues of any kind in the first place?

i guess for the same reason an American fast food restaurant chain specializing in chicken entrees is?

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by krossfyter

i guess for the same reason an American fast food restaurant chain specializing in chicken entrees is?

$$$$$$$MONEY$$$$$$$

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join